• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There was a Tumblr-Con this weekend. It ended in disaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly, but apparently DashCon said they were. Hoo boy.

I actually had to go check Fandom Wank and make sure this wasn't the same the same people that swindled a shit ton of money from Lord of the Rings fans a few years ago.

So far it's looking like no. Certainly has all the same benchmarks though. When is fandom going to learn? /sigh

Gut feeling is that most of the issues from this convention stem from organizers just being too inexperienced and naive to actually pull this off. But then the "fundraiser" to stay in the hotel seems like an actual con. Maybe someone taking advantage of the situation that they noticed spiraled out of control.

Gut feeling is that most of the issues from this convention stem from organizers just being too inexperienced and naive to actually pull this off. But then the "fundraiser" to stay in the hotel seems like an actual con. Maybe someone taking advantage of the situation that they noticed spiraled out of control.

I dunno man. The whole debacle with this has made me cynical when it comes to these things. I wasn't even in that fandom and people were freaking out enough that I got wind of it. It was huge.

But maybe yeah. I just can see how anyone would think something like this, especially claiming to be in partnership with freaking Random Acts, could be not a scam.

And a class about tying knots.

Oh my sweet summer child.

Zetta

These have to be some of the most cringe worthy videos I have ever seen and not finished. I'm going to guess they got worse but dear god that is just awful.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
There's a guy on 4chan who's made an alpha of DashCon Simulator 2014. They're already making parody video games of this shit. i've lost my sides

Hot damn that video. The scam. The mob mentality. The memes, the cheering, the Hunger Games salute. The singing. I am ashamed to be watching this video. I'm ashamed that I like anything that these people like. I am ashamed that I have ever spoken to anyone who likes anything that these people like. I have never vicariously cringed this hard. I don't even know what to do.

Fandoms. What a bunch of bastards.

D i Z

tumblr_n8ojnzBH0f1qayyipo1_500.png

rpmurphy

I can't stop reading this even though I think the pink background might be causing brain damage

Highlight:
Yeah... sounds like they really had their expectations too high and set themselves up for failure right from the beginning, delegating the core responsibilities amongst inexperienced volunteers while giving little to no direction. Good for her to have left that amorphous mess before it got serious.

Wait, I just looked up the knotting fandom. What the fuck, that can't be real. Seriously?

I tried to warn you and then thought you were in on the joke.

It's something that started oh...two years ago? Born out of (maybe) the teen wolf fandom that has spread to other fandoms like a disease. It's disturbing and everywhere now.

It's become so common as a fanfic trope that I barely bat and eye when I run into it anymore.

Wait, I just looked up the knotting fandom. What the fuck, that can't be real. Seriously?

It's something that started oh...two years ago? Born out of (maybe) the teen wolf fandom that has spread to other fandoms like a disease. It's disturbing and everywhere now.

It's become so common as a fanfic trope that I barely bat and eye when I run into it anymore.

*scoffs* It can't be that bad can it?

*googles in safe mode so it doesn't show in browser history.*

Oh. Um...

Yeah...

tumblr_ldx9p1Nq5x1qfaow2o1_r1_250.gif

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains

I'm backing out of this rabbit hole before I get to the Sonic overlap for this fandom. I don't think I can handle it.

Oh, so I make a thread making fun of tumblr and everyone defends them, but now everyone's all "lol tumblr." Screw you too, GAF. :mad:

This is a specific thing that happened. I will defend tumblr because I use and enjoy tumblr, and am part of the groups of people you called out (outspoken fangirls)

I feel bad for the people that were conned out of money.

Yes, there are odd elements on tumblr and sometimes it's nice to mock them a bit. As there are odd elements in every social media site.

I'm backing out of this rabbit hole before I get to the Sonic overlap for this fandom. I don't think I can handle it.

Godspeed sir. Delete your internet history.

*scoffs* It can't be that bad can it?

*googles in safe mode so it doesn't show in browser history.*

Oh. Um...

Yeah...

tumblr_ldx9p1Nq5x1qfaow2o1_r1_250.gif

If only you'd heeded the warning!

I've been in fandom for damn near 20 years, I have no idea where this came from. IT'S EVERYWHERE. I've even read well written fanfics dealing with the concept. It's fucking baffling.

aly

I am really sorry. For your own sanity, do not look up Omegaverse.

I have that feeling right now, the one where you've just made a huge mistake, but you can't stop looking. Like, all I can ask is why? This is a moment I have to sit back and admit that I just cannot be a person who is cool and understanding with whatever other people like and do. Think I'm gonna just call in to work tomorrow and say "I've seen some terrible shit".

So, like a stupid asshole, I looked it up.

This led to me looking knotting up.

I should really listen more.

Ladies be kinky yo.

What the fuck is knotting?

Just...don't....I beg you.

I have that feeling right now, the one where you've just made a huge mistake, but you can't stop looking. Like, all I can ask is why? This is a moment I have to sit back and admit that I just cannot be a person who is cool and understanding with whatever other people like and do. Think I'm gonna just call in to work tomorrow and say "I've seen some terrible shit".

I am so sorry.

Fiction is killing all of our innocence.

NrhYWob.gif

I am both repulsed and intrigued by the idea of a knotting community now. It is horrible yet hilarious at the same time.

Fiction, I went to Urban Dictionary. It's something a dog's penis does? What does that have to do with anything? Surely I have the wrong definition...

Dig deeper...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom