• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TheSameCoin Rumor: DriveClub delayed till 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

nib95

Banned
THIS!

I don't understand why the hell they did this game when Sony already had the GT series?

Oh and I don't get why the delay is so supposedly so long. Couldn't they just delay it a month or two and launch it in December or January? That wouldn't be so bad!

Meh, DriveClub is far more appealing to me than Motorstorm. Which sort of ran it's course anyway. We shall see. I suppose next gen Motorstorm might have been something special.

Vire

Uncharted is the only blockbuster. infamous is great but not on uc,gow,gt level. Also the order is unproven so we will see how that turns out.

I dunno man, Sucker Punch really seems like they are stepping their game up with this one.

Especially from a presentation and story side of things. Having Jamie Griesemer on board as a designer should help too (Halo fame).

THIS!

I don't understand why the hell they did this game when Sony already had the GT series?

Oh and I don't get why the delay is so supposedly so long. Couldn't they just delay it a month or two and launch it in December or January? That wouldn't be so bad!

Still would've had a chance of being delayed. Console launches are tough for devs.

Slashlen

serious question... Are those guys worried this game ain't gonna make this year buying the retail version of this game day 1? Because the only thing I would hate if this game is delayed is that I will get 1 less ps+ game at launch date that's about it, but its still coming, and as a better product. I doubt this will have that much impact at all. Especially if you consider the numeruos FTP games coming to ps4 in 2014. And most will probably get those shooters/3rd party games. Make no mistake, its would have been better if this game comes out polished and on schedule.

I think the people who really want this game will be let down by the delay, but will be better off in the end. Infinitely better than getting a rushed game. If this is the game they were waiting for, they can put off buying a launch unit if they want.

This is bad for Sony and pretty much just Sony. They don't want people waiting to buy a unit because a game got delayed. MS's lineup is now boosted in a comparison of launch exclusives. They also don't want people to think they don't have their act together, and a delay at this point is pretty crappy.

And this hurts Plus as this was supposed to be the flagship free game on the service. We were probably just going to get this and indie/small games for a good long time, this was the game they'd show on the box/ads to let people know they'd be getting AAA games free with Plus like they do with PS3.

I don't think this delay is a huge blow, but it does seem to be several small ones at once. Driveclub fans should be fine though.

frizby

If Knack is made free, my launch just got super cheap.

The games I was considering before -> Watch Dogs, Knack, Killzone, Driveclub

just go switched to Knack, Killzone

If they gave Knack free on PS+, I'd only have to pay for Killzone. My wallet would be thankful lol

although I am probably going to pick up ACIV on PS4 now...

I think I have you beat.

I'm only buying Blacklight, War Frame, War Thunder, Planetside 2 (if it's out), and I already have PS Plus through 2015 or 2016.

Battlefield 4 has an outside chance, but I need to see the receipts.

Not really... It makes great business sense to release software to a huge install base.

They could've made them cross platform like I said.

Plus, you don't see Microsoft making Ryse, Dead Rising 3 or Forza 5 on the 360, do you?

That console has a big install base!

The idea is to help built the install base on the NEW console.

That is your future.

Milennia

Motor storm blew me away when it was first released , played the demo for maybe 15 hours , was just so much fun and good looking.

Amir0x

Banned
I think I have you beat.

I'm only buying Blacklight, War Frame, War Thunder, Planetside 2 (if it's out), and I already have PS Plus through 2015 or 2016.

Battlefield 4 has an outside chance, but I need to see the receipts.

you don't have me beat you're just straight not buying retail games ;)

Planetside 2 won't be out for launch, they confirmed that much...

Of Sony's 2014 games, the one I want most is RIME. After that it'd be The ORDER and inFAMOUS and MLB.

Sony has more big games than that coming out in 2014, and I'm not talking about Uncharted either (ugh, please don't make this the next ND game...), so I'm not concerned whatsoever about that year.

Actually with DriveClub also in 2014 that year is going to be pretty packed for Sony. I imagine the problem will be which games to give attention to in what month, alongside the crazy shit that'll be announced at GDC and E3.

I forgot about MLB and Rime.

I think this delay, if true, is a good thing. It's better to spend more time on a game and blow everyone away, than to release a game just for the sake of being a launch title. DriveClub has been getting mixed reactions for a while now, so I honestly didn't see it doing that well this year. The game looks pretty damn good in the latest video, so I bet it will look even better if the delay happens and more time is given to the developers to polish it up. Plus, releasing it at a time when there are no other racing games being released would be a better option too.

What should Sony do now? I think they should market the crap out of Killzone, since that seems like it is the killer launch title. For PS+, I think they should just use Knack, since I don't see that game selling well at all, in my opinion.

To be honest sony shouldn't sweat this DC delay (if its really happening) too much. As great as this game looks, people want it because it will be a ps+ game. Its not the kind of game that is the reason why people will be lining up for ps4. Just make it as polished as possible. I don't want a shitty free game.

To be honest sony shouldn't sweat this DC delay (if its really happening) too much. As great as this game looks, people want it because it will be a ps+ game. Its not the kind of game that is the reason why people will be lining up for ps4. Just make it as polished as possible. I don't want a shitty free game.

Ummmmm excuse me, but I beg to differ.

I was interested in the FULL version.

Papacheeks

Banned
Also, BTW who ever in this thread mentioned Sony replacing Driveclub with Injustuce:Gods Among Us. I think that's what there going to do, kind of like how Killer Instinct is going to get distributed on xbox live.

They could've made them cross platform like I said.

Plus, you don't see Microsoft making Ryse, Dead Rising 3 or Forza 5 on the 360, do you?

That console has a big install base!

The idea is to help built the install base on the NEW console.

That is your future.

You do know that if they would have made it cross-gen, most people would probably buy the PS3 version instead. Plus, do you think it's as easy as just copying the game code from the PS3 version and port it to PS4? These launch games have been in development for years. Beginning the PS4 version of games like Beyond and TLOU as the same time as the PS3 version, and finishing both this year would be nearly impossible.

frizby

I've got nothing. If they didn't want to do another Motorstorm but wanted to stay in the driving genre, they could have done something less generic...something with destruction or weapons or something.

Does any racing game outside of Gran Turismo really move any copies anyway?

Anyway, I agree that it was an odd choice.

Vire

bad example PGR has been killed off.

It was successful enough to warrant 3 sequels.

PGR was killed off because of Microsoft's incompetence and inability to properly market the game. PGR3 was a huge success, 4 no one knew about because it was hardly marketed.

I've got nothing. If they didn't want to do another Motorstorm but wanted to stay in the driving genre, they could have done something less generic...something with destruction or weapons or something.

Does any racing game outside of Gran Turismo really move any copies anyway?

Anyway, I agree that it was an odd choice.

Twisted Metal?

Yes, but it is still a sim style racer.

Its not an offroad racer, like Motorstorm
Offroad racer = arcade racer?
Forza is more sim than DC. Hell, you can't even customize car parts in DC, iirc.

Vire

I really hope it isn't Injustice considering I can already play that on my fucking XBOX 360.

No thanks.

I rather have Knack, and that game looks like poo.

Amir0x

Banned
I forgot about MLB and Rime.

Here's the Sony WWS games announced for PS4 to date ->

Helldivers
DriveClub
Killzone: Shadow Fall
Shadow of the Best
Hohokum
Resogun
The Order: 1886
Knack
MLB
inFamous: Second Son
Rime
Everybody's Gone to Rapture

Not sure if Helldivers and Hohokum count toward the PS4 total from Sony WWS, but I put them there just in case.

Then there is whatever Naughty Dog's game is (they have multiple teams), we have yet to see Sony Santa Monica's big project they've been working on (they have multiple teams), whatever Media Molecule is working on - remember they showed us that 3D Move paint tech demo that apparently had hints of where they were going - etc.

Sony is riding gangster if they pace themselves. They have so.much.shit they have to show yet lol

At least Forza Horizon lives. Would not shock me to see Forza Horizon 2 next year because they are working on it.
And I will not be able to stay away.

The idea of having a mainline Forza while reusing the physics and models (though modified) in Horizon is nothing short of genius.

I'd love to see something similar with GT7, reusing the physics and cars and day/night cycle in a separate, fully open world game focused on free roam and lush environments.

Throw in Test Drive Unlimited's seamless multiplayer and you'd have some magical right there.

Killzone was always going to be the standout launch title out of any of the next-gen systems this fall.

Losing DriveClub definitely sucks, but it wasn't what I was really looking forward to at launch.....nor was it really something that was going to sell much anyways. The genre is basically dead at this point and casual audiences really don't care about racing titles outside of Gran Turismo and Mario Kart.

If it makes it a better game, it's for the better. There's also bound to be a PS4 exclusive drought after InFamous: Second Son.

An April -- May launch may do wonders for the game's quality.

Launch lineups don't need massive amounts of AAA titles...the best launches have generally only had one must have game -- think Mario 64, Halo, Soul Calibur, and so forth.

So, if Killzone delivers, that's all Sony needs and all I was really expecting for a solid launch in terms of exclusives. I'd take one Killzone over all of the Xbox One's launch lineup which does nothing for me.

There's still tons of third party content and indies for this year, as well.

I doubt Sony will give away Knack to PS+ members, although it would certainly do a lot of goodwill to fill the DriveClub void at launch. They're already giving the title away in Japan, it probably wasn't a title with a massive budget anyways, and giving it away for PS+ members in all regions could certainly boost PS+ memberships (perhaps more than DriveClub).

At a bare minimum, a discount on Knack for PS+ members would probably get me to pick the game up since I'm on the fence about it now....A PS+ price of $29.99 would be pretty good.

Vire

Helldivers
DriveClub
Shadow of the Best
Hohokum
Resogun
Knack
MLB
Rime

Not sure if Helldivers and Hohokum count toward the PS4 total from Sony WWS, but I put them there just in case.

Then there is whatever Naughty Dog's game is (they have multiple teams), we have yet to see Sony Santa Monica's big project they've been working on (they have multiple teams), whatever Media Molecule is working on - remember they showed us that 3D Move paint tech demo that apparently had hints of where they were going - etc.

Sony is riding gangster if they pace themselves. They have so.much.shit they have to show yet lol

As great as Infamous Second Son and The Order 1886 look -

Their three biggest and arguably (best) studios have yet to announce any games. (Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica and Media Molecule). They are going to have plenty to show this next E3.

lucius

I hope Sony replaces it with Injustice, I wasn't that hyped for Driveclub even though it would been good to try for free I would have not played it that much.

Vodh

Well, AC4 might be out of luck. Depending on how long DC is going to be delayed I might grab NFS: Rivals to scratch the racing itch.

It must, they keep pumping them out. Really like what Criterion has done with the series though, I thought it might die with Undercover. The last one was really fun for me. I even liked The Run.
I liked the Run too, great variety of tracks. It's especially good on PC after they unlocked the frame rate.

Helldivers
DriveClub
Shadow of the Best
Hohokum
Resogun
Knack
MLB
Rime

I doubt SSM title will release next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom