• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TheSameCoin Rumor: DriveClub delayed till 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinta

Banned
Guess I made the right call going with Wii U this holiday: Mario 3D World, Zelda HD, W101, Sonic LW, Nintendoland.

PS4 is going to really be amazing, but it has an extremely weak launch line-up. Launch is the least important part for me though. More games will be coming soon.

But yeah, I was already just going to be playing this and Resogun because none of the others looked interesting to me.

I like how no one credits neogaf

Bunch of bull shit
For what though extra confirmation or learning about this rumor from that website

because if it is the latter then there where other forums talking about this rumor from the original source for at least 30min before this thread was even made

Milennia

The problem is when these early reports of a delay spring up and the company responds with a "no comment", in 90% of the cases, the delay turns out to be veritable.

So the odds aint good!

Yep thats how i see it as well, fully expecting this delay, if its not true... Well then cool i guess . Might as well get myself set up for the delay even if theres a small chance it may not happen lol.

Thought forza sold better than that....

30 fps at launch. No one will care about it next year.

Motorstorm has still averaged 1.5M copies per game.

What tells you that they aren't already in crunch mode?

first return on a google search tells me forza 3 sold more then 1 million in its first month

http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/f..._3_sales_exceed_1_million_in_first_month.html

and fm4 sold 540,000 its first week (didnt continue to search for first month)
http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/f..._3_sales_exceed_1_million_in_first_month.html

Maybe shipped/bundled/heavily discounted, but not at all when it comes to actual retail sell through numbers:

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/NPD_October_2009

Forza Motorsport 3 (360) / Microsoft / 175K

November 2009 Forza 3 didn't even chart in the top 20. Suffice it to say, actual sell through numbers of the title are disappointing.

Keep in mind that Evolution studios is one of the remaining Sony studios that is probably on the chopping block right now. They've already laid off some staff over the years and restructured the studio. Liverpool, another racing studio, is now gone.

Carl

The word "report" should be "rumor". Irresponsible if they want to continuing calling themselves journalists.

"We don't comment on rumors and speculation"

Some sites seem to have changed the word "rumour" to "report" lately. Eurogamer does the same thing and it's pissing annoying.

For what though extra confirmation or learning about this rumor from that website

because if it is the latter then there where other forums talking about this rumor from the original source for at least 30min before this thread was even made
Famous confirmed this rumor he deserves some credit.

Vire

Maybe shipped/bundled/heavily discounted, but not at all when it comes to actual retail sell through numbers:

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/NPD_October_2009

Forza Motorsport 3 (360) / Microsoft / 175K

November 2009 Forza 3 didn't even chart in the top 20. Suffice it to say, actual sell through numbers of the title are disappointing.

Keep in mind that Evolution studios is one of the remaining Sony studios that is probably on the chopping block right now. They've already laid off some staff over the years and restructured the studio. Liverpool, another racing studio, is now gone.

That isn't a month...

The game came out October 27th. Giving it a whopping 4 days to calculate sales.

Utterly ridiculous.

nib95

Banned
That isn't a month...

Utterly ridiculous.

He also mentioned the game didn't chart in the top 20 in November....

Basically, Forza only sells as a bundled pack in. On it's own at retail, it doesn't do the best numbers. Not even in the same league as GT.

x-Lundz-x

If this wasn't true wouldn't the devs and/or Sony come right out now and say it's not true? I'm not really too interested in the game but I don't like to see more games getting delayed.

Vire

Basically, Forza only sells as a bundled pack in. On it's own at retail, it doesn't do the best numbers. Not even in the same league as GT.

Forza Motorsport 3 has pushed 5 million + units to date, the guy's point is absurd.

Motorstorm wishes it had those numbers.

As for your point, yeah it isn't in the same league as GT in terms of sales (what racing game is?), but to snuff at 5 million units worldwide is pretty silly.

Tsundere

Banned
That isn't a month...

Utterly ridiculous.
Forza Motorsport 3 has pushed 5 million + units to date, the guy's point is absurd.

As for your point, yeah it isn't in the same league as GT in terms of sales (what racing game is?), but to snuff at 5 million units worldwide is pretty silly.

Forza's sales include the bundles that were released where it was thrown in as a free pack-in as well.

That isn't a month...

Utterly ridiculous.

It did not even chart in the top 20 the next month. It obviously didn't somehow have explosive sales, and games generally tend to be pretty front loaded.

Forza 4 charted at #8 in Oct. 2011 and it released in the earlier part of the month (Oct. 11th in the US). Unfortunately no data was ever released.

Forza 4 also didn't chart in November.

Maybe if MotorStorm was bundled to hell and back like Forza it could have sold those sorts of numbers, but clearly no evidence suggests that Forza has done well at sell through for retail (NPD)

Vire

Sony needs to open a "B team" at Polyphony Digital like they did at ND.

He is right. It didnt even chart the next month.

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/NPD_November_2009

Those numbers are inaccurate:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2009/12/08/forza-motorsport-3-sales-top-1-million-worldwide

Microsoft's exclusive racing series continues to impress.

The company announced today Forza Motorsport 3 sales have surpassed one million units worldwide in its first month at retail.

Only a handful of games get Gran Turismo numbers. Ridiculous numbers for an exclusive

Amir0x

Banned
I think it's worth noting Stig Asmussen had no involvement in God of War Ascensions development. So from 2010 to 2013 he remained a employee of SSM and obviously were working on something else.

So the pre-planning concept part of development is already over. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if that game came out in 2014.

Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me. Sony has so many development studios that they really have lots of options, but certainly it wouldn't at all be crazy to think it could come out in 2014. At the very worst, early 2015. Like February 2015.

Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me. Sony has so many development studios that they really have lots of options, but certainly it wouldn't at all be crazy to think it could come out in 2014. At the very worst, early 2015. Like February 2015.

Alot of them were and still are tied up in PS3 games though. They're just wrapping up with the PS3 and moving on to the PS4

USC-fan

Banned
So now we are moving the goal post to US numbers only?

Why?

Why does it matter if it sells in the US or worldwide?

NO you said those number were "inaccurate."

You posted WW shipped numbers to say that prove those NPD numbers were not correct.

Amir0x

Banned
Alot of them were and still are tied up in PS3 games though. They're just wrapping up with the PS3 and moving on to the PS4

Some were; the teams I am specifically talking about transitioned off PS3 after God of War: Ascension (and Stig was working with a smaller team on the PS4 concept prior to even that).

No, those numbers are NOT inaccurate. Those numbers are NPD.

Microsoft is happy to gloat about shipment figures. How else do you think MotorStorm 1 sold over 3.5 million copies?

There's a lot of fudging the numbers these companies do to make games seem like they're doing better than they actually are.

If MotorStorm series was legitimately doing multiple millions of units at full price without bundles, massive price reductions, etc...then these studios wouldn't be on the brink of being shut down (Evolution was apparently close).

Vire

No, those numbers are NOT inaccurate. Those numbers are NPD.

Microsoft is happy to gloat about shipment figures. How else do you think MotorStorm 1 sold over 3.5 million copies?

There's a lot of fudging the numbers these companies do to make games seem like they're doing better than they actually are.

If MotorStorm series was legitimately doing multiple millions of units at full price without bundles, massive price reductions, etc...then these studios wouldn't be on the brink of being shut down (Evolution was apparently close).

NPD numbers for the United States only.

How do you know those are shipment numbers? Your ass? It clearly states sales.

Some were; the teams I am specifically talking about transitioned off PS3 after God of War: Ascension (and Stig was working with a smaller team on the PS4 concept prior to even that).

We just had a thread about the GOW Ascension team finally wrapping it up and moving on recently. So it wasn't the entire team?

NPD numbers for the United States only.

How do you know those are shipment numbers? Your ass? It clearly states sales.

Am I supposed to believe that somehow Forza managed to sell 175K first month NPD in the US, but 4.8 million outside of the US? Seriously...

Who do you think Microsoft sells too, by the way? To companies like Microsoft and Sony, shipped = sold....they sell to retailers, not consumers.

I dunno, if this ends up being true, I'll probably
cancel my preorder
and wait for early next year. The only games at launch which really held my fancy were this, Killzone, Resogun, and Watchdogs, and we see what happened with the latter and what seems to be happening with the former.

Hopefully someone from Sony will come and clear this all up tomorrow, but I have trouble justifying a system purchase for one (full) game.

Vire

Am I supposed to believe that somehow Forza managed to sell 175K first month NPD in the US, but 4.8 million outside of the US? Seriously...

Who do you think Microsoft sells too, by the way? To companies like Microsoft and Sony, shipped = sold....they sell to retailers, not consumers.

I didn't say that it sold 4.8 million in the first month.

I said it sold 1 million in the first month based off that article, proving that your numbers are not an accurate depiction of what actually happened in the first month.

Say it had 500,000 units in the United States in the first month , why is another 500,000 in the rest of the world that unbelievable?

Amir0x

Banned
We just had a thread about the GOW Ascension team finally wrapping it up and moving on recently. So it wasn't the entire team?

here is the link I posted just a few posts back:

According to Angeli, upon the completion of the recently released God of War: Ascension, the company transitioned its entire team to the project, which is supposedly being steered by God of War III director Stig Asmussen. Last year, the Sony Santa Monica veteran said that he was doing “cool stuff” at the studio.

IIRC, prior to this, a much smaller team was working on the PS4 concept with Stig, and after Ascension came out they got the full weight of that team on it now. Since this game came out in March, it's safe to say they've been working on it for a while now.

Unless a more recent news article contradicts this, which is perfectly possible.

USC-fan

Banned

I said it sold 1 million in the first month based off that article, proving that your numbers are not an accurate depiction of what actually happened in the first month.

It had 500,000 units in the United States, why is another 500,000 in the rest of the world that unbelievable?

We had NPD numbers so 500000 is not correct. That is ship numbers clearly. If it only sold 175000 in NA.

Shipped number = sold to retailers. That is why shipped numbers are always reported.

It had 500,000 units in the United States, why is another 500,000 in the rest of the world that unbelievable?

You're not getting this.

Microsoft shipped 1 million world wide first month. They shipped 500K to the US, and 500K to the rest of the world.

They did not sell that amount to consumers. They sold 175K to US consumers according to NPD. They probably sold a similar amount or slightly more world wide.

Vire

You're not getting this.

Microsoft shipped 1 million world wide first month. They shipped 500K to the US, and 500K to the rest of the world.

They did not sell that amount to consumers. They sold 175K to US consumers according to NPD. They probably sold a similar amount or slightly more world wide.

IN THE FIRST FOUR DAYS THEY SOLD 175K UNITS IN THE US.

How much clearer do I need to make that for you?

4 Days.

The rest of the month (27) days were not accounted for. Meaning, it very easily could have been 500,000 units in the US in the first month.

You really are unbelievable.

here is the link I posted just a few posts back:

IIRC, prior to this, a much smaller team was working on the PS4 concept with Stig, and after Ascension came out they got the full weight of that team on it now. Since this game came out in March, it's safe to say they've been working on it for a while now.

Unless a more recent news article contradicts this, which is perfectly possible.

Since I'm guessing it's a new IP, they've probably been prototyping and establishing the core mechanics...but the game hasn't gone into full production until now.

Which is why I seriously doubt it's a 2014 title. It will be 2015.

USC-fan

Banned

4 Days.

The rest of the month (27) days were not accounted for. Meaning, it very easily could have been 500,000 units in the US in the first month.

If that was the case it would have charted the next month. It did not...

4 Days.

And in the next 30 days they did not sell enough to consumers to chart in the top 20...so hardly anything at all.

You still are not getting the difference between world wide shipped numbers and sold to retail data from NPD.

I don't understand why you're having such difficulty believing Forza actually did that poorly.

Gaz_RB

Say it had 500,000 units in the United States in the first month , why is another 500,000 in the rest of the world that unbelievable?

You're not getting this.

Guys lets all be friends

you guys are arguing over really small stuff at this point.

Polygon just posted a story like this is a fact. Pretty irresponsible. It's not even worth posting a link, but here it is anyway.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/10/16/4845928/report-driveclub-for-playstation-4-delayed

I hate polygon as much
more
as the next guy but I don't see how that article is any different or posting the "story like this is a fact." They say "Report:" in the title and then name the sources of the rumors and the facts about it getting pulled from a sony event.

Also... it is a fact. And I can't believe im defending polygon.

Since I'm guessing it's a new IP, they've probably been prototyping and establishing the core mechanics...but the game hasn't gone into full production until now.

Which is why I seriously doubt it's a 2014 title. It will be 2015.

SSM has around 300+ staff. Around 150 was working on Ascension. Now they're all working on the new IP.

So,before that, that game already have a pretty dense team working on it. The fact that the entire SSM has moved onto the new project means that it is relatively far in already that they're crunching assets at this point.

2015 is still a possibility, but even then it's probably early 2015.

SSM has around 300+ staff. Around 150 was working on Ascension. Now they're all working on the new IP.

So,before that, that game already have a pretty dense team working on it. The fact that the entire SSM has moved onto the new project means that it is relatively far in already that they're crunching assets at this point.

2015 is still a possibility, but even then it's probably early 2015.

Yeah 2015 sounds about right. Sony should have a great deal of games to show us next E3

And it totally won't have anything to do with God of War this new game of theirs, so I'm looking forward to it. I'm burnt out on God of War to be honest.

Yeah me too. TLOU showed everyone how exciting a new IP can be. These studios are way too talented to work on the same game over and over

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom