• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TheSameCoin Rumor: DriveClub delayed till 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

USC-fan

Banned
As great as Infamous Second Son and The Order 1886 look -

Their three biggest and arguably (best) studios have yet to announce any games. (Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica and Media Molecule). They are going to have plenty to show this next E3.

You forgot about Polyphony Digital also.

Sony has never had a problem with games. Even in the last year of the ps3 is one of the strongest years yet from first party.

Like I said above, I still don't understand why they would delay it till friggin April.

Do they really need a nearly 6 friggin month delay?

COME ON!

At least, put it out in early 2014. Then it wouldn't be so painful.

I severely doubt they need that long, if this is true.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Like I said above, I still don't understand why they would delay it till friggin April.

COME ON!

Where are you seeing April?

DogMeat77

They could've made them cross platform like I said.

Plus, you don't see Microsoft making Ryse, Dead Rising 3 or Forza 5 on the 360, do you?

That console has a big install base!

The idea is to help built the install base on the NEW console.

That is your future.
I doubt Sony is interested in using Microsoft's blue print right now. They seem to be doing alright on their own. This is pretty much the same as any console launch if not better.

Purexed

Banned
Please be bullshit, was really looking forward to both this and Watchdogs for my PS4 launch. Now Killzone may be the last one standing of my original launch trifecta.

keuja

Preorder retained. Not a big deal for me, there are enough goodness in the launch Window to see you well into 2014.

Killzone was always going to be the standout launch title out of any of the next-gen systems this fall.

Losing DriveClub definitely sucks, but it wasn't what I was really looking forward to at launch.....nor was it really something that was going to sell much anyways. The genre is basically dead at this point and casual audiences really don't care about racing titles outside of Gran Turismo and Mario Kart.

What? There have been an abundance of racing games over the years. And it's for a reason. Racing is one of the most popular genre's out there. Saying casual audiences don't care about racing titles outside Gran Turismo and Mario Kart is like saying nobody cares about shooters outside bf4 or call of duty. Killzone doesn't sell even close to those titles but are still popular just like Sonic all stars or Forza don't sell as well as Mario Kart or Gran Turismo yet are established franchises in their own right.

Where did this talk of April come from?

Hmmmm OK my bad, I could've sworn someone mentioned April in here.

Must've been mistaken.

I think someone mentioned April about the Watch Dogs delay earlier in the thread and I confused the two.

My bad. Regardless, I have to wonder how long the delay is going to be.

I would hope it is only till like January, but that may not be the case.

VanWinkle

Hmmmm OK my bad, I could've sworn someone mentioned April in here.

Must've been mistaken.

I think someone mentioned April about the Watch Dogs delay earlier in the thread and I confused the two.

My bad. Regardless, I have to wonder how long the delay is going to be.

I would hope it is only till like January, but that may not be the case.

Yeah, I'm hoping January too. But who knows.

Amir0x

Banned
I doubt SSM title will release next year.

SSM has multiple big teams. One team has been working on their PS4 game for some time, as I understand it. While I would definitely not say "certainly", I am also equally sure that if such a game were not to come out within 2014, you'd start falling into 2015 and having to consider what time Sony Santa Monica's other games would be coming out from their other teams (I think Cory Barlog actually just started recruiting for their third team, or something like that).

Remember Stig Asmussen's game is the one where we already got confirmed that Battlestar Galactica writer will be working on it. According to this same article, they were already working on the PS4 game prior to God of War: Ascension's release but transitioned that team fully to the PS4 game when it came out. So conceivably by the end of 2014 it will be 2 years of development.

And then what about 2015? Well would that not be time for Cory Barlog's PS4 project? Would they want cross over? Would they do early 2015 for Stig's game, late 2015 for Cory's?

Gaz_RB

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
while i'm sure the game will be better off for this, i really hope they strive to reach that targeted 60 fps. it would make a huge difference

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

COME ON!

April? Where did you get that from? It's September.

alterno69

Banned
Man i don't get the doom and gloom posts really.

Let's see

PS2 launch games were what?
FIFA
Madden
The Bouncer?
That terrible RPG i don't remember
SSX
Tekken

You could argue only one game on that list was truly something new, SSX was really something, i bought that along FIFA and Madden and it was more than enough, the PS3 launch was even worse.

Now we have a couple of great FPS, FIFA and Madden again as well as a bunch of other third party games that look more than decent, they would probably look a little better on the PS4 too.

Personally i'm not anticipating DC but while it would be unfortunate if it is indeed delayed, it's far from a disaster.

Meeting launch window is bound to be tough. Games see delays all the time, this just happens to be a launch title, but I will take a polished late product over a rushed launch product any day. It won't affect launch sales much if at all, so what's the point in rushing it? To appease impatient people? They'll be fine.

Skeff

The problem is when these early reports of a delay spring up and the company responds with a "no comment", in 90% of the cases, the delay turns out to be veritable.

So the odds aint good!

They haven't actually said "no comment" they just haven't said anything, rushy said he didn't know as he hadn't been to work for a week, I imagine we will get a response in about 8 hours which would be 10am UK time for Evo and 11am For SCEE, should be able to get some PR sorted by then.

From the Kotaku article:

When I asked if the game has been delayed, the Sony rep said they don't comment on rumors and speculation.

Ok then, Same response as when asked about DRM rumors.

ViciousDS

Banned
They haven't actually said "no comment" they just haven't said anything, rushy said he didn't know as he hadn't been to work for a week, I imagine we will get a response in about 8 hours which would be 10am UK time for Evo and 11am For SCEE, should be able to get some PR sorted by then.

When I asked if the game has been delayed, the Sony rep said they don't comment on rumors and speculation.

DriveClub design director Paul Rustchynsky wrote on Twitter today that he doesn't have "any new information on DRIVECLUB to share."

KOtaku

What? There have been an abundance of racing games over the years. And it's for a reason. Racing is one of the most popular genre's out there. Saying casual audiences don't care about racing titles outside Gran Turismo and Mario Kart is like saying nobody cares about shooters outside bf4 or call of duty. Killzone doesn't sell even close to those titles but are still popular just like Sonic all stars or Forza don't sell as well as Mario Kart or Gran Turismo yet are established franchises in their own right.

Thing is even a lesser FPS title sales wise is still going to do really well.

MotorStorm series never broke 200K first month NPD, just like Forza. Meanwhile, Killzone 2 did over 600K in just over 1 month of tracking. That's a large difference.

Many racing studios are now out of business...the genre has had a steep decline and its harder and harder to justify large budgets for it.

Frankly I'm a little disappointed that Evolution didn't try and take DriveClub's social vision and apply it to MotorStorm's gameplay....DriveClub looks boring and sterile in comparison, while MotorStorm was arguably the best arcade racing series last gen.

UNCMark

Banned
The word "report" should be "rumor". Irresponsible if they want to continuing calling themselves journalists.

In the very first sentence they use the word "might". This is fine. And the use of "Report" instead of "News" lends an air of "rumor" to it imo. In fact in the story, they substitute "report" for "rumor".

Pop

So since we hear no new information about the game and whispers from within "sources" that it must be delayed.

Yeah, I'll wait for Sony to say something.

Gaz_RB

MotorStorm series never broke 200K first month NPD, just like Forza. Meanwhile, Killzone 2 did over 600K in just over 1 month of tracking. That's a large difference.

Many racing studios are now out of business...the genre has had a steep decline and its harder and harder to justify large budgets for it.

Frankly I'm a little disappointed that Evolution didn't try and take DriveClub's social vision and apply it to MotorStorm's gameplay....DriveClub looks boring and sterile in comparison, while MotorStorm was arguably the best arcade racing series last gen.

I kind of agree. It seems weird to have both Gran Turismo and Driveclub coming from Sony's first parties. I guess games like Motorstorm just don't sell well enough to justify breaking from the racing mold.

In the very first sentence they use the word "might". This is fine. And the use of "Report" instead of "News" lends an air of "rumor" to it imo. In fact in the story, they substitute "report" for "rumor".

Headlines are one of the most important parts of a news story. It's at the very top of the inverted triangle, and the only thing the majority of their viewers will read as they scroll down the website.

But I don't see Polygon as real news journalism so I guess it's hard to hold them up to any sort of standards.

I GOT A QUESTION FOR YOU GAFFERS!!!

Lets imagine that this game was considered being delayed so they could make it 60 FPS.

Would you be cool with that?

Would you guys rather have a 30 FPS Drive Club now or a 60 FPS Drive Club in early 2014?

That would make for an interesting debate!

My personally? I would rather have the game now, but I could tolerate a delay if the final game was 60 FPS.

Lets imagine that this game was considered being delayed so they could make it 60 FPS.

Would you guys rather have a 30 FPS Drive Club now or a 60 FPS Drive Club in early 2014?

My personally? I would rather have the game now, but I could tolerate a delay if the final game was 60 FPS.
Why couldn't they go into crunch time

Motorstorm has still averaged 1.5M copies per game.

Why couldn't they go into crunch time

What tells you that they aren't already in crunch mode?

USC-fan

Banned

Thought forza sold better than that....

30 fps at launch. No one will care about it next year.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

Vire

SSM has multiple big teams. One team has been working on their PS4 game for some time, as I understand it. While I would definitely not say "certainly", I am also equally sure that if such a game were not to come out within 2014, you'd start falling into 2015 and having to consider what time Sony Santa Monica's other games would be coming out from their other teams (I think Cory Barlog actually just started recruiting for their third team, or something like that).

Remember Stig Asmussen's game is the one where we already got confirmed that Battlestar Galactica writer will be working on it. According to this same article, they were already working on the PS4 game prior to God of War: Ascension's release but transitioned that team fully to the PS4 game when it came out. So conceivably by the end of 2014 it will be 2 years of development.

And then what about 2015? Well would that not be time for Cory Barlog's PS4 project? Would they want cross over? Would they do early 2015 for Stig's game, late 2015 for Cory's?

I think it's worth noting Stig Asmussen had no involvement in God of War Ascensions development. So from 2010 to 2013 he remained a employee of SSM and obviously were working on something else.

So the pre-planning concept part of development is already over. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if that game came out in 2014.

UNCMark

Banned

I wouldn't say arguably that it was. I much preferred Burnout, Hot Pursuit and Forza Horizon to any of the Motorstorm games.

edit: I left out Wipeout + DLC. Huge oversight. That game was awesome. Is awesome still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom