• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thurrott: MS to announce a new standard Xbox controller and maybe Xbox Elite at E3

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcx4610

I wish they would fix the dpad. The clicky/noisy dpad feels gross to me. If you want a clicky dpad it needs to be subtle like the Vita. Other than that, it's very good.

Bizzquik

I wish they would fix the dpad. The clicky/noisy dpad feels gross to me.

The Elite controller's D-pad disc is perfect. That should be the standard going forward; maybe they just mark it up with small arrows on the disc so as to make it clear where the D-pad Left is, etc.

c0de

Two separate letters, One is to the EU power board on Power modes which also confirms new revisions, Tier three, with more efficient Navigation modes, 20 watts lower (NEO and a New XB1) and the other is a Linkedin post below:

Depends on what is a previous generation game console. If the launch PS4 is considered a previous generation it's no big deal, if it is talking about the PS3 then BC is coming.

The EU thing does not confirm anything but that power consumption while not gaming has to be lower than 70 watts. If there is something that indicates different, quote directly from the paper.

The EU thing does not confirm anything but that power consumption while not gaming has to be lower than 70 watts. If there is something that indicates different, quote directly from the paper.
The game console manufacturers managed to strike a deal avoiding mandatory power regulations by volunteering to implement best practices and to reduce the power used as it becomes possible. The letter outlines a roadmap of Tiers where power is scheduled to increase or drop. In the letter and links to other letters, we find the following:

1) The PS3 and PS4 launch consoles are UHD Capable and will be firmware updated in 2016.
2) Tier 3 starts 2017 with a reduction in Navigation power of 20 watts. The only way this can be accomplished is with a node reduction. If Sony, for instance, had kept with the original 1.8 TF APU design and moved it to 14nm FinFET, the power savings would have been larger (40% of 120 watts) than 40 watts not 20 watts. This indicates that Sony always planned to increase the performance of the PS4.
3) Tier 4 starts in 2019; node reduction or new generation Console?

The Linkedin quote in hindsight, is definitely talking about updated consoles. It reads like a new generation and could have been taken as a PS5 and next generation Xbox. It's possible it's talking about insuring Software compatibility for Launch games or BC for the PS3 depending on what last generation game console means.

Anyone hoping that they will launch a new SKU that is disc-less?

I was thinking about it and now that I buy a lot of games digitally, I wouldn't mind a smaller box that's less expensive. I know this isn't for everyone, but for me it would be a good option to have.

Wouldn't even mind if Sony does that as well.

I wish they would fix the dpad. The clicky/noisy dpad feels gross to me. If you want a clicky dpad it needs to be subtle like the Vita. Other than that, it's very good.
The clickyness is a welcome to me. Growing up playing games like MK and smashing in the fatality codes would stress me the hell out. I didn't know if I was putting in the right directions in the dpad or not. Sometimes a fatality didn't work and I always had to do trial and error to see what the problem was.

Gamezone

Gold Member

I was thinking about it and now that I buy a lot of games digitally, I wouldn't mind a smaller box that's less expensive. I know this isn't for everyone, but for me it would be a good option to have.

Sure, just give physical users a smaller Xbox as well.

EvB

Or "The new Xbox". They've played a blinder obfuscating what they're doing with the "slim"

Phil Spencer's comments about not liking the name 1.5 and wanting to do something bigger almost makes it sound like they may go for Xbox Two.

New console, plays new games, but also plays everything available for Xbox One

$250 XB1 slim this year, with a elite model.

$400 Xbox 1.5 next fall with a vega chip and HBM2, with a drop to $200 for slim

Definitely think they should go this route.

SonicBoom

Am I one of the very few that gets finger cramps with the current Xbox one controller????

Xbox 360 and Dual Shock 3 & 4 controllers never gave me cramps. I feel like Xbox one controller design was rushed and doesn't feel 100% natural.

God I hope it's a redesign of the controller!!!

Am I one of the very few that gets finger cramps with the current Xbox one controller????

Xbox 360 and Dual Shock 3 & 4 controllers never gave me cramps. I feel like Xbox one controller design was rushed and doesn't feel 100% natural.

The Xbox One controller is almost perfect to me. It definitely isn't rushed but misses couple of things like a screenshot button, which Microsoft are usually good at improving at a good speed. As someone with big hands, The Xbox One controller feels great for long gaming sessions.

$250 XB1 slim this year, with a elite model.

$400 Xbox 1.5 next fall with a vega chip and HBM2, with a drop to $200 for slim

Definitely think they should go this route.

Man I hope so. I couldn't care less about a new revision but a ~$249 drop on the OG model means I could play a shitload of titles I've waiting on for over two years now. Dead Rising, Sunset Overdeive, Forza, State of Decay, Halo, Dark Souls 3, DOOM, Ori... list goes on. Not to mention back-compat.

I haven't got into this gen yet and if MS can nail that sweet spot on the price they've got themselves a sale.

Man I hope so. I couldn't care less about a new revision but a ~$249 drop on the OG model means I could play a shitload of titles I've waiting on for over two years now. Dead Rising, Sunset Overdeive, Forza, State of Decay, Halo, Dark Souls 3, DOOM, Ori... list goes on. Not to mention back-compat.

I haven't got into this gen yet and if MS can nail that sweet spot on the price they've got themselves a sale.

Current retail is 349.99 right now right? I can't see a full $100 price drop, I can see something more like 279.99 or something. That would also be really good, but if its selling as well as they like it I'm expecting 299.99.

Current retail is 349.99 right now right? I can't see a full $100 price drop, I can see something more like 279.99 or something. That would also be really good, but if its selling as well as they like it I'm expecting 299.99.

Yeah I suppose $249 is being a tad unrealistic. Still, 299 would be great too. If MS did one of those 'name your game' bundles with Rare Replay or Forza, I'd be good.

etta

my hard graphic balls
From the BC thread:
Reposting for new page:
pY8hF2k.jpg
Why do you guys think they added the side stripes for the Xbox One titles now? Differentiate between games built for the Xbox Two in the near future?

w0s

Dual Shock 3 was murder on my hands.

Chris1

If they have to specify, does that mean the new games won't be backwards compatible? As in Xbox two games won't work on the Xbox one. I can't see that going over well.

It's pretty obvious at this point all xbox games will be backwards compatible, that's where MS is heading and they've been pretty public about it. UWP helps here too.

There's literally no chance Xbox 360 and XB1 games don't work on the next xbox and probably every xbox after that. Their vision is pretty clear at this point.

etta

my hard graphic balls
If they have to specify, does that mean the new games won't be backwards compatible? As in Xbox two games won't work on the Xbox one. I can't see that going over well.
No of course not, backward compatibility has been set in stone from now on. But if there is a new platform and developers will target that as the main Xbox once it releases, these Xbox One games will show with the side stripe that they are from a previous generation, similar to how the Xbox 360 games are showing it now.

Bgamer90

Banned
It's pretty obvious at this point all xbox games will be backwards compatible, that's where MS is heading and they've been pretty public about it. UWP helps here too.

There's literally no chance Xbox 360 and XB1 games don't work on the next xbox and probably every xbox after that. Their vision is pretty clear at this point.

Deifnitely agree.

Stanng243

No of course not, backward compatibility has been set in stone from now on. But if there is a new platform and developers will target that as the main Xbox once it releases, these Xbox One games will show with the side stripe that they are from a previous generation, similar to how the Xbox 360 games are showing it now.

I used the wrong term obviously. I meant that the xbox two games won't be able to be played on the xbox one. I have no idea what to call it. It seems that if they have to differentiate the xbox one games like that, it may not. I can't see the early adopters being happy about a 3-4 year console generation.

I used the wrong term obviously. I meant that the xbox two games won't be able to be played on the xbox one. I have no idea what to call it. It seems that if they have to differentiate the xbox one games like that, it may not. I can't see the early adopters being happy about a 3-4 year console generation.

Phil Spencer already talked about forward compatibility before the Neo stuff leaked. I don't think XB1 owners will have to worry about new games not running on their consoles.

Alx

Well spencer did use the words "forward compatibility" (*e:beaten !) and I think it was a big point of their suggested concept of iterative hardware. Although we'll have to wait for official statements to have a better idea of their plans. I'm not sure we should draw conclusions from a simple banner though.

etta

my hard graphic balls
From the other thread:
Maybe because of the Stores merging with the Anniversary Update, as there is some "small" UWP games that may come to Xbox One ?

...which sounds way more likely, to differentiate between Windows Store games and Xbox One games.

NO, not happening.

(Timing) Some areas of the EU are using DVB T2 for TV with h.264 and Germany is moving to DVB T2 with HEVC in 2017. This is nearly the same scheme the US is getting with ATSC 3 which will be voluntarily implemented (Petition before the FCC) starting late 2017 in the US and early 2017 in Korea. Letters to the EU power board mention the XB1 and PS4 are UHD capable and will be firmware updated in 2016. Jan 2016 is mentioned which has been changed to, I think, October. This update has to occur before the PS4 NEO can be released.

(Why they won't release a console without UHD BLu-ray and hard disk) Both Sony and Microsoft plan to support UHD Blu-ray with digital bridge (Vidipath). Video chat with HEVC encode and decode, Full browser, Miracast, DVR and more. UHD Blu-ray with digital bridge requires the Hard Disk and blu-ray player. The XB1 and PS4 will be media hubs for the home supporting other platforms without drives.

(Consumer Electronics plans)
XB1, PS4, Kaveri, Carrizo, Polaris and Vega are all UHD Capable which means they can support UHD Media DRM and confirmed for all except the PS4, HEVC encode for Video chat. UHD media = UHD Blu-ray, IPTV, Cable and Antenna TV with the proper Vidipath tuner. VR is a special case as it uses the software stack coming with UHD Media support including HEVC multi-view plus depthmap. HEVC with depthmap will support browser VR and 3D video chat which both the XB1 and PS4 can support. All UHD media is delivered to a browser webpage which means support for browser VR is built into all UHD Media.

arhra

From the other thread:

...which sounds way more likely, to differentiate between Windows Store games and Xbox One games.

It doesn't even have to be limited to "small" Windows Store games - remember that the plan is for all games to be built on UWP going forwards, so it could be to distinguish between the older games built for the Xbox specifically, and newer ones using UWP that may also be playable on PC (especially if they go all-in with cross-buy).

And to put my iterative console hardware speculation hat on, UWP may be the platform used for "forward-compatible" games, which will run at varying settings depending on which hardware iteration they're on, while the old Xbox One games are treated similarly to 360 BC games when running on newer hardware, in that they just run in their existing form with no graphical upgrades or whatever.

gamz

OH SHIT!

Brad Sams
‏@bdsams
ok enough troll tweets for the day, will have some excellent xbox news on a podcast coming up later today - e3 is looking fun.

SOR5

And who is this guy exactly?

Executive Editor of Thurrott.com

Paul Thurrott and co. are pro-Microsoft (to a journalistic degree, most certainly not just a fanboy website) but they are a respectable source

EDIT: Thurrott just tweeted this gif in regards to whatever theyve uncovered

EDIT EDIT: Probably in regards, but maybe not, most likely a reference to something else

singhr1

And who is this guy exactly?

The dude who wrote the article of this thread? lol

Executive Editor of Thurrott.com

Paul Thurrott and co. are pro-Microsoft (to a journalistic degree, most certainly not just a fanboy website) but they are a respectable source

EDIT: Thurrott just tweeted this gif in regards to whatever theyve uncovered

Na, that gif is for the "death" of windows phone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom