• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thurrott: MS to announce a new standard Xbox controller and maybe Xbox Elite at E3

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems pretty obvious to me that MS is waiting until Holiday 2017 for their 'upgrade'. That allows them to coalesce around AMD's Vega platform, have the necessary hardware power to support Oculus Rift, and will hit the market as a fully realized platform instead of a 'me too' vs Sony's NEO.

krang

It seems pretty obvious to me that MS is waiting until Holiday 2017 for their 'upgrade'. That allows them to coalesce around AMD's Vega platform, have the necessary hardware power to support Oculus Rift, and will hit the market as a fully realized platform instead of a 'me too' vs Sony's NEO.

I agree.

Chris1

Why not just wait an extra year and jump straight into next gen at that point?

Releasing an upgraded console 4 years in when a new gen is inbound seems silly, especially when it's a new gen MS needs to get rid of the toxicity around xbox one. If they aren't releasing upgraded HW this year they should just hold off and kickstart next gen. An upgraded xbox one is still an xbox one, a console that nobody (hyperbole) wants, one that people still think has drm,etc.

Zeta Oni

Releasing an upgraded console 4 years in when a new gen is inbound seems silly, especially when it's a new gen MS needs to get rid of the toxicity around xbox one.

Your assuming the box released next year won't be considered the start of MS's next generation.

I would love X1.5 to come next Fall and be a monster. Need to get back to being the most powerful console.

Exactly. I'm sure everyone in the Xbox division is feeling the sting of sitting underneath their direct competition hardware power-wise. It hurt them so bad this time around. I don't see them ever repeating that mistake.

Chris1

Your assuming the box released next year won't be considered the start of MS's next generation.
I don't know how powerful this VEGA stuff is going to be, but that sounds like a terrible move power wise and just puts MS in a similar situation as this gen when Sony launches the PS5. Then what are MS gonna do? dump the xbox two in 2-3 years and release an xbox three?

MS needs to build their next gen xbox to compete with the PS5, not the PS Neo, and a year later than Neo isn't going to do that.

Exactly. I'm sure everyone in the Xbox division is feeling the sting of sitting underneath their direct competition hardware power-wise. It hurt them so bad this time around. I don't see them ever repeating that mistake.

Yeah I can see MS releasing something that is more powerful than what Sony has this year. HBM2 seems like it could bring bigger numbers rather then just a bump in clocks and some new features here and there.

If I were MS I'd announce one was coming, not only that, I'd announce it as the most powerful console; but not much more than that.

Let Sony show Neo off, look at there specs, then work on a console with slight better specs for a 2017 release.

chadskin

Where's the assumption there will be a more powerful Xbox in late 2017 coming from exactly? Are there credible rumors I missed?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Some updates:
Both FCC filings I found seem(!) to be both for an Xbox One revision each and both coming out this year. Probably one slim and one even slimmer. One is marked "premium" in part names. Power button is now an analog one and the controller bind button is on the front (on the premium SKU at least). Premium one doesn't seem to be that much smaller.

New more powerful Xbox still coming next year. (which could also be the premium model but why have it tested already by the FCC when it comes out next year? That's why I think we will get two new Xbox One SKUs)
All that sounds reasonable, but you talk about the bolded as if it's not just speculation but something you know for sure. Where did you find that out?

Zeta Oni

I don't know how powerful this VEGA stuff is going to be, but that sounds like a terrible move power wise and just puts MS in a similar situation as this gen when Sony launches the PS5. Then what are MS gonna do? dump the xbox two in 2-3 years and release an xbox three?

No, if I had to guess they will do what ps4 is already doing now with neo, and release a incremental upgrade around the time the PS5 releases that keeps the gap to a minimum, while making the older model the new "slim".

Also, your assuming the PS5 is coming out anytime soon, which I doubt. 2019 at the earliest would be my guess, 3 years of OG PS4, and 3 years of PS4 Neo.

Also, depends completely on the advancement of graphic technology within the next few years.

Chobel

They've been selling them for 299 with an additional 50 store credit thrown in the past few weeks. 199 for a slim isn't hard to fathom. What I find funny is people thinking MS would release a 500 dollar console again.

The $50 gift cards happened when the price returned to $350. The official price is $350, MS is not gonna drop $150 in a span of 6 months.

Then the new box will not be $499. You don't start a new generation with an expensive console.

Care to make a bet? :p

Already did ;)

I don't believe we'll see a $199 device at E3. I think $249 would be the base price and you'll find a lot more deals for $199 near the end of the year.

Even $249 at this E3 is out of question:
a) No way MS is gonna shave that much cost by a new design.
b) Why drop the price by $100 when you just introduced a new hot item?

Jay Seven

Banned
The $50 gift cards happened when the price returned to $350. The official price is $350, MS is not gonna drop $150 in a span of 6 months.
The price was 299 and there were 50 dollar cards thrown in as recently as last week. Target even went further and had an additional 15 percent off for Cartwheel users. The idea of a 199 dollar Xbox One this holiday isn't far fetched at all. Especially given how awful they've been doing this year.

MilkyJoe

No, if I had to guess they will do what ps4 is already doing now with neo, and release a incremental upgrade around the time the PS5 releases that keeps the gap to a minimum, while making the older model the new "slim".

Also, your assuming the PS5 is coming out anytime soon, which I doubt. 2019 at the earliest would be my guess, 3 years of OG PS4, and 3 years of PS4 Neo.

Also, depends completely on the advancement of graphic technology within the next few years.

This is exactly what its going to be like here on in, like Putting a new card in your PC, everything else stays the same. (but whole new boxes, not modular consoles, that would be daft)

I for one cannot wait. I love me a new console.

Chris1

As I said that's still an xbox one, which is what they should be wanting to avoid, the xbox one brand is fucked, there's no point trying to salvage it when you can wait a year and launch true next gen and get a clean slate.

So let's say 2019, that's what I was thinking too, if they launch next gen in 2017 that's giving Sony a 2 year advantage in power which is huge, there's no way MS are gonna compete with that unless they bleed money which isn't going to happen. They need to compete with the PS5 with their next gen, not the PS Neo. Releasing next gen in 2017 isn't going to do that. Releasing in 2018 might (if PS5 is 2019 and MS has a powerful beast).

Already did ;)

$199 confirmed then

Even $249 at this E3 is out of question:
a) No way MS is gonna shave that much cost by a new design.
b) Why drop the price by $100 when you just introduced a new hot item?
And they just increased the price from $300 to $350, if they were dropping it another $50 they'd keep it at $300. They put it back up to make the slim look like a bigger bargain than it is.

It's gonna be $299.

Zeta Oni

As I said that's still an xbox one, which is what they should be wanting to avoid, the xbox one brand is fucked, there's no point trying to salvage it when you can wait a year and launch true next gen and get a clean slate.

So let's say 2019, that's what I was thinking too, if they launch next gen in 2017 that's giving Sony a 2 year advantage in power which is huge, there's no way MS are gonna compete with that unless they bleed money which isn't going to happen. They need to compete with the PS5 with their next gen, not the PS Neo. Releasing next gen in 2017 isn't going to do that. Releasing in 2018 might (if PS5 is 2019 and MS has a powerful beast).

$199 confirmed then

It doesn't give Sony a 2 year power advantage over anything, because within the span of a year of the PS5 releasing, Xbox will drop a "neo" version of their next-Gen system.

And for some reason, your still assuming whatever comes out next year will still be part of the Xbox one family, which I highly doubt.

It doesn't give Sony a 2 year power advantage over anything, because within the span of a year of the PS5 releasing, Xbox will drop a "neo" version of their next-Gen system.

And for some reason, your still assuming whatever comes out next year will still be part of the Xbox one family, which I highly doubt.

I think will we see a blurring of generations and a move to the mobile style of hardware refreshes. New consoles every 3-4 years which are backwards compatible, but have games that perform better on the newest console - think iOS and how the 6s plays the same titles as a 5 - but at higher resolution and with better fps etc.

Chris1

But the Neo versions are still going to be held back by the 2017 xbox, while the PS will be getting games made in mind for PS5/2019 tech.

You said that it might just be an incremental upgrade to the XB1 similar to NEO. That's not next gen, that's a stop gap and still part of the xbox one. Do you think they're gonna release an upgraded xbox one and call it xbox two (or whatever)? That's just adding even more confusion to this whole situation.

So let me get this right Zeta, you think this 2017 xbox is going to be a next gen to get away from the xbox one name, but also an incremental upgrade to XB1 similar to the Neo? All I can say to that is good fucking luck to MS trying to explain that one.

I'd love for anyone here to explain that the xbox two is a new generation, but it's still an xbox one, while trying to distance themselves from the xbox one brand, while also explaining the xbox two will never have any games and only xbox one games work on it. Then explain how they're gonna make that known for random Jack, Joe and Harry walking into GAME to buy the next gen xbox.

Even though I know what they would be trying to do, I can't think of a way that explains that in a way that's I'm not going to respond with "what the fuck did you just say?" because that's a MASSIVE cluster fuck waiting to happen, and that's why it's not happening. It's Xbox One.5, or a brand new gen with BC, you can't mix and match both and still expect consumers (the same people, who still think xbox one has DRM) to understand.

Guymelef

So that ultra powerful 2017 XBO is going to be financed with all the money they are going to "make" selling XBO at $199...
Am I reading right?

Releasing an upgraded console 4 years in when a new gen is inbound seems silly, especially when it's a new gen MS needs to get rid of the toxicity around xbox one. If they aren't releasing upgraded HW this year they should just hold off and kickstart next gen. An upgraded xbox one is still an xbox one, a console that nobody (hyperbole) wants, one that people still think has drm,etc.

It's exactly what MS did with the OG xbox.

They released the 360 4 years after.

If the tech is there to do a full gen jump next year, why not?

Proelite

Where's the assumption there will be a more powerful Xbox in late 2017 coming from exactly? Are there credible rumors I missed?

Fanboy dreams.

MS will never beat Neo in term of price / performance category since they'll their boxes will be Win 10 machines with a lot more overhead. They'll be able to iterate and put out more configurations than Sony without breaking compatibility because of these overheads.

Chris1

It's exactly what MS did with the OG xbox.

They released the 360 4 years after.

If the tech is there to do a full gen jump next year, why not?

That's not really the same. MS did that because of $ issues they were forced to, and they were only a year ahead of PS3, which if they released in 2018 would put them in the same situation as PS5 (If we assume it's releasing in 2019).

If they're going into next gen they need to build it to compete against the PS5, not a last gen console (NEO). They aren't gonna compete with the PS5 releasing two years earlier, 1 year maybe with a small loss for a few month, but two years? they'd have to bleed themselves dry to compete.

Even if they come out with an absolute beast of a box, so many of you miss the obvious problems:

a) Said machine is going to need extremely strong dedicated software support to really prove its clout in an industry where all third-parties will be building their games with the bigger install base of the PS4 in mind.

b) Xbox One's undoing is not weaker hardware but Microsoft's inability to cultivate an audience outside of the US and the UK. If that doesn't change, then not even the most powerful platform under the sun will change much.

I feel like you're all desperately clinging onto this idea that a "more powerful" Xbox will solve all of the brand's problems overnight. It's much more complicated than that IMO.

So is it looking like a slim at a reduced price or a slim at current price with the regular box being price-dropped/eventually phased out? Probably both I guess.

If they can hit that ~$249 spot I'll be happy.

Say they were to release a small, discless box intended for digital and streaming games from another Xbox or PC a la PSTV. Would it be safe to assume this box would be compatible with the rumored 1.5?

Stanng243

Say they were to release a small, discless box intended for digital and streaming games from another Xbox or PC a la PSTV. Would it be safe to assume this box would be compatible with the rumored 1.5?

Depending on how much more powerful the Xbox 1.5 is, I can see games not working on the Xbox one. Especially if they design the architecture without ESRAM in the 1.5, ad only emulate it for Xbox one games.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I don't think they should add a microphone on the controller because then you'd have to turn on the controller to navigate with Cortana.
Most of the times when I come home and yell at it to turn on and tell it to go to Netflix or Twitch while I make some food, I don't even touch the controller.
The mic array should definitely be on the console itself.

Bizzquik

Some updates:
Both FCC filings I found seem(!) to be both for an Xbox One revision each and both coming out this year. Probably one slim and one even slimmer. One is marked "premium" in part names. Power button is now an analog one and the controller bind button is on the front (on the premium SKU at least). Premium one doesn't seem to be that much smaller.

New more powerful Xbox still coming next year. (which could also be the premium model but why have it tested already by the FCC when it comes out next year? That's why I think we will get two new Xbox One SKUs)

Good stuff.
Makes sense.

Question:
What would it take in a Premium Edition to get you to buy another One - if its not demonstrably better for actual gaming?

My Answer:
....I have no idea what this product could actually be...

Even if they come out with an absolute beast of a box, so many of you miss the obvious problems:

a) Said machine is going to need extremely strong dedicated software support to really prove its clout in an industry where all third-parties will be building their games with the bigger install base of the PS4 in mind.

b) Xbox One's undoing is not weaker hardware but Microsoft's inability to cultivate an audience outside of the US and the UK. If that doesn't change, then not even the most powerful platform under the sun will change much.

I feel like you're all desperately clinging onto this idea that a "more powerful" Xbox will solve all of the brand's problems overnight. It's much more complicated than that IMO.

Thats not really an issue. 3rd parties and MS get along really well. Example is Battlefield 1 with MS having Marketing rights to the game. They will still build their games based off Xbox one and whatever next system they have since they will be both Windows 10 machines at their core.

Your second point is valid that the EU is MS's tough spot. Japan is out of the question.

I really hope they can hold out till 2018 (and Navi), or whenever 10nm will be viable. I think they need to be more concerned about competing with PS5 than with Neo; releasing too early would give them a slight advantage against Neo, but leaves them open to get clobbered by PS5.

MilkyJoe

I really hope they can hold out till 2018 (and Navi), or whenever 10nm will be viable. I think they need to be more concerned about competing with PS5 than with Neo; releasing too early would give them a slight advantage against Neo, but leaves them open to get clobbered by PS5.

Then a couple of years later they smash ps5 wide open.

Generations as you know them are over now.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Then a couple of years later they smash ps5 wide open.

Generations as you know them are over now.
Yea, especially if they happen every three years.
At year 1, devs won't be able to take much advantage of new specs. Just better resolution and fps. Year 2 will probably see some mild improvements, and year 3 is when things will really take off. But in year 3 there will be new hardware so the most powerful console on whichever side won't hold a solid lead for a long time.

El_Chino

Some updates:

Link please.

MilkyJoe

Yea, especially if they happen every three years.
At year 1, devs won't be able to take much advantage of new specs. Just better resolution and fps. Year 2 will probably see some mild improvements, and year 3 is when things will really take off. But in year 3 there will be new hardware so the most powerful console on whichever side won't hold a solid lead for a long time.

Exciting times.

Zeta Oni

But the Neo versions are still going to be held back by the 2017 xbox, while the PS will be getting games made in mind for PS5/2019 tech.

You said that it might just be an incremental upgrade to the XB1 similar to NEO. That's not next gen, that's a stop gap and still part of the xbox one. Do you think they're gonna release an upgraded xbox one and call it xbox two (or whatever)? That's just adding even more confusion to this whole situation.

So let me get this right Zeta, you think this 2017 xbox is going to be a next gen to get away from the xbox one name, but also an incremental upgrade to XB1 similar to the Neo? All I can say to that is good fucking luck to MS trying to explain that one.

I'd love for anyone here to explain that the xbox two is a new generation, but it's still an xbox one, while trying to distance themselves from the xbox one brand, while also explaining the xbox two will never have any games and only xbox one games work on it. Then explain how they're gonna make that known for random Jack, Joe and Harry walking into GAME to buy the next gen xbox.

Even though I know what they would be trying to do, I can't think of a way that explains that in a way that's I'm not going to respond with "what the fuck did you just say?" because that's a MASSIVE cluster fuck waiting to happen, and that's why it's not happening. It's Xbox One.5, or a brand new gen with BC, you can't mix and match both and still expect consumers (the same people, who still think xbox one has DRM) to understand.

you are making this sound way harder than it is.

I'm saying the 2017 xbox will be a separate thing from the xbox one, not just an incremental upgrade, but a new console entirely.

The difference here is that MS will continue to develop exclusives that will release on the xbox one for while, so people who buy the cheaper option instead of the new console can still feel they are getting their moneys worth.

Slowly, this will begin a cycle where a new hardware refresh is every 3 or so years, but the games are supported on the previous console release for a while.

Its not a foreign concept, its like owning a graphics card, slowly and surely, you wont be able to keep playing the newest releases until one day you cant play them at all and need to upgrade.

Or like another ecosystem you might be familier with, iOS. A lot of apps simply wont run on older Iphones, and isn't a big part of this UWA inititive to mimmick just that style of ecosystem?

I'm sure the average consumer will be fine understanding it.

Chris1

you are making this sound way harder than it is.

I'm saying the 2017 xbox will be a separate thing from the xbox one, not just an incremental upgrade, but a new console entirely.

The difference here is that MS will continue to develop exclusives that will release on the xbox one for while, so people who buy the cheaper option instead of the new console can still feel they are getting their moneys worth.

Slowly, this will begin a cycle where a new hardware refresh is every 3 or so years, but the games are supported on the previous console release for a while.

Its not a foreign concept, its like owning a graphics card, slowly and surely, you wont be able to keep playing the newest releases until one day you cant play them at all and need to upgrade.

Or like another ecosystem you might be familier with, iOS. A lot of apps simply wont run on older Iphones, and isn't a big part of this UWA inititive to mimmick just that style of ecosystem?

I'm sure the average consumer will be fine understanding it.
Ok then, so it's a new console/new gen. Which brings me back to my other point, why are they starting a new gen when powerwise it's most likely only going to be competing with current gen consoles?

In 2017 it'll be competing with the NEO power wise, not the PS5, which is a bad move. When MS is starting next gen, they have to be competing with the next gen Playstation. Not the PS4.

Assuming 3 year gaps

2016 - PS Neo (more powerful than PS4)
2017 - Xbox Two (slightly more powerful than PS Neo) (Next gen starts here)
2019 - PS5 (Neo 2) - More powerful than XB2
2020 - Xbox 2.5 - Slightly more powerful than PS5

How is this a good decision for MS? They're constantly playing catch up to "last" generation this way while Sony gets big hardware advantages each iteration for a year. Then in 2020 xbox still has to cater to people with just an xbox two released in 2017 meaning their games will have to be held back to support Xbox two. Sony on the other hand have just had 6 years of PS4/Neo and can fully switch over to PS5 without worrying about the PS4 and won't be held back.

Only way around that would be for MS to have whole new generations every 3 years while Sony has them every 6, but that in itself is another terrible move and is only gonna piss customers off. And 3 years is hardly a generational leap if the NEO is anything to go by (2x instead of ~10x)

It makes no sense to release a new xbox in 2017 (2016 is another matter alltogether but 2017 messes everything up), just wait till 2018, make it powerful so that it's gonna compete with PS5 in 2019, then roll on from there. 2017 is a mistake no matter whether it's a .5 or a whole new gen in my opinion.

ekim

I was just informed that both chips from the FCC filings could be used in one SKU. OG Xbox one has also 2 chips on 1 PCB. It seems to be split up here. So maybe just simply one Slim SKU? The premium tag still stands though. I'm confused as hell. lol

Zeta Oni

Ok then, so it's a new console/new gen. Which brings me back to my other point, why are they starting a new gen when powerwise it's most likely only going to be competing with current gen consoles?

In 2017 it'll be competing with the NEO power wise, not the PS5, which is a bad move. When MS is starting next gen, they have to be competing with the next gen Playstation. Not the PS4.

Assuming 3 year gaps

How is this a good decision for MS? They're constantly playing catch up to "last" generation this way while Sony gets big hardware advantages each iteration for a year. Then in 2020 xbox still has to cater to people with just an xbox two released in 2017 meaning their games will have to be held back to support Xbox two. Sony on the other hand have just had 6 years of PS4/Neo and can fully switch over to PS5 without worrying about the PS4 and won't be held back.

Only way around that would be for MS to have whole new generations every 3 years while Sony has them every 6, but that in itself is another terrible move and is only gonna piss customers off. And 3 years is hardly a generational leap if the NEO is anything to go by (2x instead of ~10x)

It makes no sense to release a new xbox in 2017 (2016 is another matter alltogether but 2017 messes everything up), just wait till 2018, make it powerful so that it's gonna compete with PS5 in 2019, then roll on from there. 2017 is a mistake no matter whether it's a .5 or a whole new gen in my opinion.

You yourself said you have no idea how Vulkan and other advancements in tech expected next year will effect console graphical capabilities, yet your quick to assume that this 2017 Xbox I'm speculating about is only a small step above what's expected for the neo.

I'm assuming the opposite, I'm not expecting some small resolution bump, but something that graphically puts the current gen to shame. I own a surface pro 4, so I definitely believe in the surface team now in charge of Xbox hardware to deliver something powerful that can fit into a console sized box, and I think that's a big reason why we wont see anything this year.

If that comes to fruition, then the new Xbox wont have any of the public perception issues your mentioning. This gives them 2 full years as the powerhouse on the market, and if they offer the right games as well as expanding on gold and W10 features, could see a real turnaround in public perception imo.

Your also assuming they choose to keep restarting the gen after every 3 years. They can do half steps just like neo, the reason I'm saying the launch the Xbox two next year is to get rid of the image of the Xbox One as soon as possible.

It really just comes down to how big a jump we are talking next year. I'm expecting a giant leap, and you seem to be expecting a nice little skip. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle, but we will see I guess.

Stormy

Assuming 3 year gaps

Been lurking in this thread a bit and I think that what we will see is one of two things. If MS releases this year, it will be incremental and slightly more or less powerful than the Neo, but will be on the same time table with Sony going forward.

However, if they just do a redesign this year (Whether it is one or two new sku's we will find out) then the jump comes next year. And next year means Vega not Polaris most likely. If they go Vega, then that is more like a generational jump if I have read that properly (possible or likely I did not though haha). If that is the case, then it will be significantly more powerful than the Neo, and will be that way for at least 2-3 years.

This seems like the most likely situation to me, and then if the PS5 hits in 2019 (maybe 2020?), MS is readying their next upgrade which would then be more powerful than the PS5. This assumes gpu tech keeps updating like it is now (not guaranteed I know). At that point the for every year the PS is more powerful, MS is for two years.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
One of the Sony insiders speculated (or hinted?) that MS wasn't prepared for the PS4K and may in fact be far behind on their next console/1.5. That is more reasonable than thinking MS' ship is leak proof.

Yeah ok. Despite all proof to the contrary right?

PR? Sony's ahead of them on the push. Let everyone know you're in it too while you get beat to the punch.

Doesn't work like that.

If 3rd party devs know about it, we know about it, lol. If 3rd party devs don't know about it right now, 3rd party games aren't releasing for it this year. That is my point. The fact that you know about Neo kits going out furthers my point.

Shouldn't third parties have known about BC? It required 3rd party approval. I'd wager many third parties knew BC was coming yet it didn't get out.

Add to that, from a development perspective, nothing really changes. Microsoft will want Devs targeting the base Xbox One. The newer box will most likely take care of the rest. At least 3rd party games anyway until it's official. Id say 1st party games are already being developed with auto detect settings built in that can auto adjust for the better hardware. Gears 4 will probably be the flagship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom