• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titan X announced, 12GB framebuffer, 8 billion transistors.

Is this definitely going to be released next week? If so I should probably try to sell my 780Ti as soon as possible and stick with the handhelds for a few days.

Edit: God damn, could do decently on ebay apparently.

Edit 2: That seems too high given other postings, weird.

Faith

I'm gonna wait. If I can get the card for 800 Euro I will sell my 2 970s. 12GB VRAM is also a nice amount for SLI. Might buy a second one in a year.

NuKERxyz

Noob question, is this card Dx12 or Dx12.x that will have something more that would make early adopters get screwed?
Ive never understand if something like my 280x that is Dx11.2 gets some benefit over a gpu that's only dx11.

Linkup

Noob question, is this card Dx12 or Dx12.x that will have something more that would make early adopters get screwed?
Ive never understand if something like my 280x that is Dx11.2 gets some benefit over a gpu that's only dx11.

It will likely be DX12.1, but developers aren't going to rely on the API revisions in big features in their games. There will probably be DX12.2 and it will have some new feature, but don't expect it to be used for gaming, remember their are all types of software and rendering that use dedicated GPUs.

riflen

Is this definitely going to be released next week? If so I should probably try to sell my 780Ti as soon as possible and stick with the handhelds for a few days.

Edit: God damn, could do decently on ebay apparently.

Edit 2: That seems too high given other postings, weird.

The street date will only be revealed at the official launch.
People are saying the launch will be at Nvidia's GTC because the timing is right (relative to other GPU releases), they launched the Titan Z there last year and because the CEO teased the product last week at GDC. There's a news piece on the card at geforce.com
and even the packaging has been shown. All this points to a release very soon indeed. Review sites probably already have hardware to test.

The street date will only be revealed at the official launch.
People are saying the launch will be at Nvidia's GTC because the timing is right (relative to other GPU releases), they launched the Titan Z there last year and because the CEO teased the product last week at GDC. There's a news piece on the card at geforce.com and
and even the packaging has been shown. All this points to a release very soon indeed. Review sites probably already have hardware to test.

Reviewers definitely have the hardware for benching and review already. Hilbert of Guru3d and Ryan of PcPer already posted pics with it.

pics here

NuKERxyz

It will likely be DX12.1, but developers aren't going to rely on the API revisions in big features in their games. There will probably be DX12.2 and it will have some new feature, but don't expect it to be used for gaming, remember their are all types of software and rendering that use dedicated GPUs.

Thanks for clarification.
Im gonna wait to see the Price here in Europe.

Ushay

s3ou1t.gif

Haha, brilliant. I see this one is going to get used a lot.

So.... As a current 980 owner who was planning to go sli, I'm eagerly awaiting to see benchmarks on this thing.

Might sell the 980 and get the Titan x instead of sli 980's

benjammin

So when will we find out the price? I'm shopping around for a graphics card now. Thinking 970 or 980, but if this releases at 999 then maybe I'll go with the Titan

ZOONAMI

So many people willing to give nvidia $1000 right after the 970 bullshit. So lame.

I promptly returned my 970 and got a 290x. Will not buy anything from nvidia until they prove they've cleaned up their act. This inflated ~50% stat they're throwing out using an OCd titan x versus a stock 980 does not make me think they've changed their tune. Such corporate ball lickers you all are. You are eagerly giving away your power as a consumer.

finalflame

So many people willing to give nvidia $1000 right after the 970 bullshit. So lame.

I promptly returned my 970 and got a 290x. Will not buy anything from nvidia until they prove they've cleaned up their act. This inflated ~50% stat they're throwing out using an OCd titan x versus a stock 980 does not make me think they've changed their tune. Such corporate ball lickers you all are. You are eagerly giving away your power as a consumer.

My power as a consumer is to be informed and buy whatever the fuck I want, without people on the internet feeling they need to tell me where to spend my money. Was the 970 stuff unethical? Probably. Does it affect my desire to own a Titan X? No. If the performance numbers are there from independent reviewers, then I'll be an informed consumer and purchase whatever the fuck I want with my $1000+.

But you know, you can just go around making blanket statements that people doing as they please with their money are "corporate ball lickers". Have fun keeping your house from catching on fire with your new 290X.

dr_rus

So you've returned a perfectly good card and got another one which is worse in pretty much every way for the same price simply because of an error in the published specs? That's smart.

Qassim

So you've returned a perfectly good card and got another one which is worse in pretty much every way for the same price simply because of an error in the published specs? That's smart.

Whilst I agree that swapping out a 970 for a 290x wouldn't be something I'd do, I think it's disingenuous to suggest that it was simply a publishing error.

At the *very least* they intentionally tried to represent the card as something it wasn't.

viveks86

This inflated ~50% stat they're throwing out using an OCd titan x versus a stock 980 does not make me think they've changed their tune. Such corporate ball lickers you all are. You are eagerly giving away your power as a consumer.

The inflated 50% stat is not based on the OC'd card. It is based on the theoretical 50% boost from number of CUDA cores (2048 vs 3072). Nvidia wasn't the one that did the over clocking to try and match the theoretical boost. Having said that it's still theoretical and of no practical use, but it isn't as devious as you make it seem to be.

ZOONAMI

It was $70 cheaper, and it performs better in pretty much any recent benchmark with omega drivers, especially at 1440p and 4k, which is what I run. So yes, it was smart.

ZOONAMI

My power as a consumer is to be informed and buy whatever the fuck I want, without people on the internet feeling they need to tell me where to spend my money. Was the 970 stuff unethical? Probably. Does it affect my desire to own a Titan X? No. If the performance numbers are there from independent reviewers, then I'll be an informed consumer and purchase whatever the fuck I want with my $1000+.

But you know, you can just go around making blanket statements that people doing as they please with their money are "corporate ball lickers". Have fun keeping your house from catching on fire with your new 290X.

The point is that it should affect your desire to own a Titan X, and what nvidia is doing is misinforming consumers, that's the problem. They are undermining your power to be an informed consumer.

finalflame

The point is that it should affect your desire to own a Titan X, and what nvidia is doing is misinforming consumers, that's the problem. They are undermining your power to be an informed consumer.

Independent performance benchmarks with the GTX 970 show exactly how it performs. I'm not saying what nVidia did was right, but any consumer should seek out independent sources of information before they make a purchase, and not take a manufacturer's claims at face value.

nVidia does not systematically misrepresent their hardware. They definitely fucked up with the 970, but they still make the best video cards on the market, and unfortunately AMD has not caught up yet. There are plenty of reason to want a Titan X.

viveks86

Dear lord. So this is a moral crusade after all. Good to know. I'll refrain from engaging you in future conversations on the topic.

Devildoll

Whilst I agree that swapping out a 970 for a 290x wouldn't be something I'd do, I think it's disingenuous to suggest that it was simply a publishing error.

At the *very least* they intentionally tried to represent the card as something it wasn't.

The 3.5 GB thing is something that is open for interpretation, the card actually has 4 GB, its just that .5 is hella slow.
However, they also stated that the 970 had 2 MB l2 cache and 64 ROPs when it actually has 1,75 MB l2 cache and 56 ROPs, that is an actual error in the specs handed to reviewers and stores for several months, be it mistake or lie.

The card still performs the way it always has, that hasn't changed, and i think it still is a pretty sweet card.
But if someone wants to return a card to show that they find Nvidia's practices dishonest/unprofessional, that is totally fine.

ZOONAMI

Independent performance benchmarks with the GTX 970 show exactly how it performs. I'm not saying what nVidia did was right, but any consumer should seek out independent sources of information before they make a purchase, and not take a manufacturer's claims at face value.

nVidia does not systematically misrepresent their hardware. They definitely fucked up with the 970, but they still make the best video cards on the market, and unfortunately AMD has not caught up yet. There are plenty of reason to want a Titan X.

Fair enough. I'd say that I 290x and a 980 are fairly comparable though, especially when you take into account that the 290x is nearly 2 years old. I don't have a problem with an AMD card running 10 degrees hotter and using 50 more watts, it isn't going to burn my house down.

And again the 390x and nvidia's titan x will be comparable. So I don't really know that it's anything more than your opinion that nvidia makes the best video cards on the market. The 970 is an example of them making a video card with a pretty bad design flaw in the partition of slow ram, and then they make it worse by lying about it. They are still lying about it. http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-970/specifications

ZOONAMI

the 3.5 GB thing is something that is open for interpretation, the card actually has 4 GB, its just that .5 is hella slow.

However, they also stated that the 970 had 2 MB l2 cache and 64 ROPs when it actually has 1,75 MB l2 cache and 56 ROPs, that is an actual error in the specs handed to reviewers and stores for several months, be it mistake or lie.

The card still performs the way it always has, that hasn't changed, and i think it still is a pretty sweet card.

But if someone wants to return a card to show that they find Nvidia's practices dishonest/unprofessional, that is totally fine.

The biggest thing they lied about and continue to leave up on their website is the 224 GB/sec memory bandwith. It is 196 GB for the 3.5 portion, and 28 GB for the .5 - does not compute to an actual bandwith of 224 GB/sec.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I think Nvidia knows they have the user base hook line and sinker. In many cases, that's just the case if you have a better product than the other guy. But its also susceptible to abuse, hence why Nvidia does things that may be unethical at points with things that come to light and things that may not come to light. Its the same with all corps, they don't give a fuck as long as you keep buying their shit.

But the nature of the consumer based society is a different story entirely.

The actual question is, is Titan X a good value for the money? We're not talking about the average consumer obviously as the enthusiast class will buy this card and love it regardless of whether it was 999 or 1499. For them, is it a good value?

ZOONAMI

I think Nvidia knows they have the user base hook line and sinker. In many cases, that's just the case if you have a better product than the other guy. But its also susceptible to abuse, hence why Nvidia does things that may be unethical at points with things that come to light and things that may not come to light. Its the same with all corps, they don't give a fuck as long as you keep buying their shit.

The actual question is, is Titan X a good value for the money? We're not talking about the average consumer obviously as the enthusiast class will buy this card and love it regardless of whether it was 999 or 1499. For them, is it a good value?

No, not when you can get an 8gb 290x for ~$400. If the 390x is $550-750, then definitely no.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
No, not when you can get an 8gb 290x for ~$400. If the 390x is $550-750, then definitely no.

I guess it all depends.

We don't know the price of the 390x and we could imagine that it will be power hungry.
the 390x is suppose to have 8gb right?

So 12GB Titan X using less power than 390x for $999 doesn't seem too bad to me

viveks86

Here's my take on it - If you are an enthusiast who can easily afford it, value for money is the absolute least of your priorities. It's like going to a a car collector and asking if a ferrari is good value for money. It's not. Not in the traditional meaning of that phrase at least. That should be so obvious that the question isn't even necessary. For some of us, $1000 for an investment that stays in the top tier of performance for a year at least to enjoy our most favorite pastime is not a big deal at all. I feel that sometimes there is too much emphasis on value for money that other factors are rarely even discussed. For e.g.: people rarely talk about noise, power consumption or cooling requirements. Those are actually more important to me than $$$. Let AMD come up with reference solutions that beat Nvidia on those fronts and then I'll at least consider them as an alternative. I've had an experience with them that was traumatic enough to completely push me away from PC gaming for 10 years. I'm simply not willing to go through it again no matter what the price advantage is. Not until I see major breakthroughs in areas not related to raw horsepower.

To summarize, it's pretty obvious the card doesn't have the right price/performance ratio. But it will be indisputably top tier for a while at least. Depending on your timing to build a PC, it could very well be great value (value here not being measured in $$$).

ZOONAMI

I guess it all depends.

We don't know the price of the 390x and we could imagine that it will be power hungry.

Yeah but it's HBM versus GDDR5, I'd take 8gb of hbm over 12gb gddr5. I don't think the titan x has the raw horsepower to even effectively utlilize that 12gb of ram. Is there any game that exists right now that uses close to 8gb of ram?

There's a point where the amount gddr5 is used as a marketing ploy (see the gtx 970 lol). Alienware x51s have gtx 745s with 4gb of ram for example. There was also a long period where OEMs would needlessly put 2GB in low end chips to charge foolish consumers an extra $100 customization option.

ZOONAMI

Here's my take on it - If you are an enthusiast who can easily afford it, value for money is the absolute least of your priorities. It's like going to a a car collector and asking if a ferrari is good value for money. It's not. Not in the traditional meaning of that phrase at least. That should be so obvious that the question isn't even necessary. For some of us, $1000 for an investment that stays in the top tier of performance for a year at least to enjoy our most favorite pastime is not a big deal at all. I feel that sometimes there is too much emphasis on value for money that other factors are rarely even discussed. For e.g.: people rarely talk about noise, power consumption or cooling requirements. Those are actually more important to me than $$$. Let AMD come up with reference solutions that beat Nvidia on those fronts and then I'll at least consider them as an alternative. I've had an experience with them that was traumatic enough to completely push me away from PC gaming for 10 years. I'm simply not willing to go through it again no matter what the price advantage is. Not until I see major breakthroughs in areas not related to raw horsepower.

To summarize, it's pretty obvious the card doesn't have the right price/performance ratio. But it will be indisputably top tier for a while at least. Depending on your timing to build a PC, it could very well be great value (value here not being measured in $$$).

What happened?

ZOONAMI

I guess it all depends.

It's amazing to me how successful nvidia has been in putting so much weight on using 50 less watts under load.

viveks86

What happened?

It caught fire. Literally. It blew up, billowed smoke and started the fire alarms. My brother gifted me the fastest AMD card in the world back then and it blew up without even over clocking it exactly 1 week after my warranty expired. My parents banned me from video games altogether for a year. Later I switched to consoles and never looked back. I'm coming back to PC gaming only because of the games coming out this year and the promise of VR. High end AMD cards are simply not an option for me. Especially when I'm seeing the same kind of difference in operating temperatures as 10 years ago. For me, the titan X would be special, since it will be the fastest single GPU card at that point. Doesn't matter if it stays at the top just a few months or if it costs too much. It will serve me well for a long time to come. And that's all that matters.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
It caught fire. Literally. It blew up, billowed smoke and started the fire alarms. My brother gifted me the fastest AMD card in the world back then and it blew up without even over clocking it exactly 1 week after my warranty expired. My parents banned me from video games altogether for a year. Later I switched to consoles and never looked back. I'm coming back to PC gaming only because of the games coming out this year and the promise of VR. High end AMD cards are simply not an option for me. Especially when I'm seeing the same kind of difference in operating temperatures as 10 years ago. For me, the titan X would be special, since it will be the fastest single GPU card at that point. Doesn't matter if it stays at the top just a few months or if it costs too much. It will serve me well for a long time to come. And that's all that matters.

you're not he only one to have something like that happen.
when I first started my job we had ATI's, after many of them got to hot and melted the heatsink\fan off or would burn I was done.

ZOONAMI

It caught fire. Literally. It blew up, billowed smoke and started the fire alarms. My brother gifted me the fastest AMD card in the world back then and it blew up without even over clocking it exactly 1 week after my warranty expired. My parents banned me from video games altogether for a year. Later I switched to consoles and never looked back. I'm coming back to PC gaming only because of the games coming out this year and the promise of VR. AMD is simply not an option for me. Especially when I'm seeing the same kind of difference in operating temperatures as 10 years ago. For me, the titan X would be special, since it will be the fastest single GPU card at that point. Doesn't matter if it stays at the top just a few months or if it costs too much. It will serve me well for a long time to come. And that's all that matters.

Omg so an amd card actually did almost burn your house down. Well, nvidia cards have also started on fire, so it can happen. If it happened to me I would also probably stay away from that company for a while too!

Hawk269

That is also your opinion and what you consider valuable to your situation. You can have a 290x with 8gb of VRAM, but that wont cut if you game at 4k and want high settings/60fps. To me, if the TItan X is close to the benchmarks that have been linked, then the rumored $999.99 price will be fine for me because it will achieve what I need/personal taste.

To some the power/performance/price ratio is extremely important, to others it is not. To me, I will buy whatever card or cards (SLI) that get's me to my end goal of achieving 4k/60fps max settings. If that means it will be 2x Titan X then that is what I will get.

Just seems you are hell bent in denouncing anyone that has a desire to purchase a Nvidia card and in particular the Titan X. While I agree that the situation with the 970 was shitty, I have been a Nvidia owner for a very long time and even with the 970 issue's, I still would rather buy a Nvidia product because of my past experience with their products and support. Because as a person that is my decision, my opinion etc. I don't try to convince others or state they don't have principles because they choose to purchase a product from a company that you don't agree with.

ZOONAMI

That is also your opinion and what you consider valuable to your situation. You can have a 290x with 8gb of VRAM, but that wont cut if you game at 4k and want high settings/60fps. To me, if the TItan X is close to the benchmarks that have been linked, then the rumored $999.99 price will be fine for me because it will achieve what I need/personal taste.

To some the power/performance/price ratio is extremely important, to others it is not. To me, I will buy whatever card or cards (SLI) that get's me to my end goal of achieving 4k/60fps max settings. If that means it will be 2x Titan X then that is what I will get.

Just seems you are hell bent in denouncing anyone that has a desire to purchase a Nvidia card and in particular the Titan X. While I agree that the situation with the 970 was shitty, I have been a Nvidia owner for a very long time and even with the 970 issue's, I still would rather buy a Nvidia product because of my past experience with their products and support. Because as a person that is my decision, my opinion etc. I don't try to convince others or state they don't have principles because they choose to purchase a product from a company that you don't agree with.

Alright, well said. It is just my personal choice to not give nvidia any money for at least some amount of time. I was hyped about the 970 and my shield tablet, and they bummed me out by lying about what they were selling. I too have always like nvidia, but this whole thing has soured that, and it just is sort of baffling to me that people are going to drop $1000 in Nvidia's hat while they are still misrepresenting what the 970 is, and have done little/nothing to rectify it.

sfried

Everytime I stumble upon AMD vs. nVidia threads:
west-side-story-image-1.jpg

I guess the Titan X is good since it will force them to mark down their regular Titan line. AMD likewise will also be forced to step up and make a new high-range product at the same time making their R270/280 base cheaper...

viveks86

Sorry. I'll stop, just hard for me to understand how y'all are okay with nvidia right now.

Just like many of us are ok with MS after the initial xbox one plans or Sony after their killzone 2 debacle. Companies do shitty things all the time out of short sightedness, overambition and greed. It is in their very nature and what makes them competitive. As consumers, we raise issues and put them in place when they fuck up. The 970 issue will be pressed by those affected and Nvidia will be put in their place. Doesn't mean the whole world needs to hold a grudge. We move on.

Hawk269

Alright, well said. It is just my personal choice to not give nvidia any money for at least some amount of time. I was hyped about the 970 and my shield tablet, and they bummed me out by lying about what they were selling. I too have always like nvidia, but this whole thing has soured that, and it just is sort of baffling to me that people are going to drop $1000 in Nvidia's hat while they are still misrepresenting what the 970 is, and have done little/nothing to rectify it.

I personally did not own a 970 but I know many that did and for the majority of them this is non-issue because the card still performs the same as it did before they knew about it and after they knew about it. Was it wrong that they misinformed and did not provide the exact details? Of course and I also have some issues with that as well. But thing is, many people did not have an issue until it was told to them. Even the benchmarks by many high profile sites still stand even after the reveal of this information.

At the end of the day was your 970 any better/worse after you heard this news? Were you happy with the 970 up until you read about the mis-information?

Don't get me wrong, Nvidia did fuck up in how they did not disclose the details of the card and shame on them for it. As a consumer, I have to decide if what they did should warrant my business in the future. I know for some, like you, perhaps they will not see your business. For my needs, and what I am looking for and the fact that my history with Nvidia product has been outstanding, I will, but again, that is why we have choices and our "OWN" wallet's to buy what we want without having someone on a forum talk people down because they want to spend their own money in the way they see that is best for them.

x3sphere

Everytime I stumble upon AMD vs. nVidia threads:
I guess the Titan X is good since it will force them to mark down their regular Titan line. AMD likewise will also be forced to step up and make a new high-range product at the same time making their R270/280 base cheaper...

It won't have any effect on regular Titan prices. Pretty sure those cards are already EOL'd, Newegg doesn't even stock them anymore. Perhaps it'll have some downward pressure on the used market, though.

viveks86

It won't have any effect on regular Titan prices. Pretty sure those cards are already EOL'd, Newegg doesn't even stock them anymore. Perhaps it'll have some downward pressure on the used market, though.

Amazon too. They only have used or 3rd party at this point. This is definitely being positioned as the replacement Titan.

Momentary

Banned
Sorry. I'll stop, just hard for me to understand how y'all are okay with nvidia right now.

I could really care less who likes what. It's the fact that you don't know how to group quotes and edit your posts accordingly to make yourself not look so rabid while also turning this into some kind of versus thread when all I'm trying to come here for is updates on benchmarks and specs.

Anyway.

If this Chiphell chart for BF4 is real.. then I'm actually pretty impressed with the performance gain from the 980. This is going to be great for those looking for a devastating small form factor setup. I'm excited. It's going to look good in a Lian-Li PC-O6 or RVZ02.

GTX-TITAN-X-Chiphell-1.png

It would be hilarious if this cards hits the streets at $800. Online Tech stores would slow to a crawl on release date for this.

Fair enough. I'd say that I 290x and a 980 are fairly comparable though, especially when you take into account that the 290x is nearly 2 years old. I don't have a problem with an AMD card running 10 degrees hotter and using 50 more watts, it isn't going to burn my house down.

And again the 390x and nvidia's titan x will be comparable. So I don't really know that it's anything more than your opinion that nvidia makes the best video cards on the market. The 970 is an example of them making a video card with a pretty bad design flaw in the partition of slow ram, and then they make it worse by lying about it. They are still lying about it. http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-970/specifications

290x and 980 are absolutely not comparable. one is priced significantly cheaper because its significantly worse

Top Bottom