• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titan X announced, 12GB framebuffer, 8 billion transistors.

PopFisto

Banned
Hmmmmm gonna have to make a pc gaming rig if vr pans out. Guess this should have the house power to do the job!

Gonna be pricey.

Muzicfreq

Banned
Well it's the first GPU on PC which can rival the PS4, so understandably this is celebrated. We've waited one year and a half for that. Before that they were no GPU as fast as the 8gb of GDDR5 of the PS4.
Don't let any PC elitist tell you otherwise.

Physx was anything but PR in Batman games. You might want to play them with Physx enabled. It impacted all three games tremendously IMO.

The two previous Titans were 1.000$. The Titan Z was a dual GPU, this new one is a single one and will be priced between 1.000$ and 1350$.

This makes sense now.

Guess I'll need to reinstall them and play them again at some point now that I have a 750ti ftw

1 x Titan X. This is coming from someone who is currently running two 670's. I have been rather disappointed with the lack of SLI-support and lazy PC-ports with SLI-problems (I'm looking at you FC4, DA:I!)

What happens with FC4 - does it just not improve performance or is glitchy?

mr stroke

Sadly you're probably right. They may well launch at 1350, as the Titan X will be supply constrained (the yields on a 600 mm2 GPU can't be that great) so you know it will sell out, even at that price.
Fiji XT launches in Q2 for what is likely to be 550-650 and comparable performance. Titan X could have the shortest reign at the top for a GPU in recent memory.

what is going to touch the Titan in 2015?

I can't imagine the 390x will, Maybe if NVIDIA decides to do a GTX990?

riflen

The 390x definitely has a good chance of being within a few percent of Titan X for most sane game settings. The 290x traded blows with the Titan and Titan Black.

x3sphere

I think the chances are good it'll come close at half the price. The 290x came close to the original Titan, actually ended up faster in some games.

It may not be as efficient though, but personally whether a card is drawing 200w or 300w it doesn't matter that much to me.

cyen

I think the chances are good it'll come close at half the price. The 290x came close to the original Titan, actually ended up faster in some games.

It may not be as efficient though, but personally whether a card is drawing 200w or 300w it doesn't matter that much to me.

Im in the same boat, dont care about power consumption, if titan X consumes 200W but costs 1000€ and 390x costs 500€ but consumes 350W with similar performance i will choose a 390x without a doubt.

I think the story will be similar to titan vs 290x, nvidia will release the 1080 line (or whatever it will be called) after the 390x if the perfomance is similar, i bet that the 1080ti will be a 6GB Full GM200 and the normal 1080 a cut down GM200 (watch out for the memory configuration if the 970 is anything to go by)

Well it's the first GPU on PC which can rival the PS4, so understandably this is celebrated. We've waited one year and a half for that. Before that they were no GPU as fast as the 8gb of GDDR5 of the PS4.
Don't let any PC elitist tell you otherwise.

Wait, what?

8gb of GDDR5 > 6 GDDR5.
You can't argue with math.

I've got a system that has an AMD FX 6300 CPU with 32GB of RAM. Sure my new i7 4790K setup is nice and all but it only has 16GB of RAM. Clearly my original PC is superior. You can't argue with math.

EDIT: Oh god. Thanks Horse Armour for creating all this confusion.

Kezen

Banned
I've got a system that has an AMD FX 6300 CPU with 32GB of RAM. Sure my new i7 4790K setup is nice and all but it only has 16GB of RAM. Clearly my original PC is superior. You can't argue with math.

I'm sorry but 6300 > 4790. No idea why you downgraded so much, consoles can get away with lesser hardware because they're made of adamantium on which devs can code (the famous "coding to the metal").
PC parts, much to the dismay of many, are made of silicon which is not as strong of a material.

Hence the disparity in efficiency between consoles and PCs. On paper the Titan X is superior because of its 12gb but in practice ? Not so much.

I'm sorry but 6300 > 4790. No idea why you downgraded so much, consoles can get away with lesser hardware because they're made of adamantium on which devs can code (the famous "coding to the metal").
PC parts, much to the dismay of many, are made of silicon which is not as strong of a material.

Hence the disparity in efficiency between consoles and PCs. On paper the Titan X is superior because of its 12gb but in practice ? Not so much.

wee-bey-gif1cqtx.gif

I am learning so much today.

mkenyon

Banned

jLKOBAo.gif

RIP Sethos, these Titan threads aren't the same without you

Hawk269

Thread is starting to turn to the dark side.

Reading those initial benchmarks it looks very promising for me at least. There seems to be a substantial improvement over my original Titans.

bathsalts

This thing would be pretty tempting at a grand, the 980 kingpin is only $200 less at $800 and the titans seem to hold value comparatively better. I'm assuming Nvidia won't let their partners play with the Titan board again outside of waterblocks and some factory oc's?

How quickly are we anticipating a 970 refresh with 8 gigs of ram?

Don't see it happening unless AMD causes an impact somehow, otherwise September at the earliest for a 1080 non reference card is probably a safe bet.

Serandur

-no custom PCBs
-no backplate
-reference, blower-style cooler and heatsink (no matter how good it is for that category, still decisively inferior on air in a spacious case vs some triple-slot, Lightning-esque design)
-locked voltage
-6+8 pin power connectors only
-potentially-stagnant/crippled FP64 performance
-$1000-1350
-will be beat out or matched in all of the above and roughly matched in end-performance by much cheaper "GTX 1080"s and/or the R9 390X within months

People on tech forums:

"I'LL TAKE 3, PRETEND I CARE ABOUT VRAM, AND REPLACE THEM WITH 8GB MID-RANGE PASCAL CHIPS IN A YEAR ANYWAY!!!!"

-no custom PCBs
-no backplate
-reference, blower-style cooler and heatsink (no matter how good it is for that category, still decisively inferior on air in a spacious case vs some triple-slot, Lightning-esque design)
-locked voltage
-$1000-1350
-will be beat out or matched in all of the above and roughly matched in end-performance by much cheaper "GTX 1080"s and/or the R9 390X within months

People on tech forums:

"I'LL TAKE 3, PRETEND I CARE ABOUT VRAM, AND REPLACE THEM WITH 8GB MID-RANGE PASCAL CHIPS IN A YEAR ANYWAY!!!!"

Yeah- the real news here (for me, at least) is the impending arrival of a ~6GB 980Ti/GTX1080 card in the $650-$700 range with aftermarket boards/cooling. Going to have to hop on board that train when it arrives.

-no custom PCBs
-no backplate
-locked voltage
-$1000-1350
Locked voltage?

Also, the FP64 performance thing is only a rumor correct?

-no custom PCBs
-no backplate
-locked voltage
-$1000-1350

People on tech forums:

VWr6I.gif

Serandur

Yeah- the real news here (for me, at least) is the impending arrival of a ~6GB 980Ti/GTX1080 card in the $650-$700 range with aftermarket boards/cooling. Going to have to hop on board that train when it arrives.
Same here, I wouldn't even buy the Titan X over such a card if they were the same price and the 6GB card's chip isn't too heavily-crippled (anything like the 970's memory problem and I'm out).

I really don't get the appeal; the card and its build quality/power delivery/cooling as a whole aren't even great at all.
Locked voltage?

Also, the FP64 performance thing is only a rumor correct?
The Titan Black's voltage was locked. I expect the same here. That, and the no custom PCB rule with that meager power-delivery system don't leave much room for interpretation. Even for $1000+, Nvidia are still crippling it.

The FP64 thing is still a rumor, but it makes sense given TDP and transistor limitations. Especially given that Nvidia recently released the Tesla K80 with a respun GK210 rather than GM200.

The Titan Black's voltage was locked. I expect the same here. That, and the no custom PCB rule with that meager power-delivery system don't leave much room for interpretation. Even for $1000+, Nvidia are still crippling it.

The FP64 thing is still a rumor, but it makes sense given TDP and transistor limitations. Especially given that Nvidia recently released the Tesla K80 with a respun GK210 rather than GM200.

Yikes, you know, for 1000 bucks I would expect stuff like unlocked voltage and FP64 performance.

I wonder if Nvidia is just clouding up its (reasonable) price ratio by putting on so much VRAM. IMO, if it really does have the stuff you say it does, it is legitimately an even worse deal than the original titan...

-no custom PCBs
-no backplate
-locked voltage
-$1000-1350

People on tech forums:

im actually hoping for this one

Top Bottom