• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 is depressingly disappointing....

SwolBro

Banned
It's a narrative being pushed by a very small number of people. They're screaming very loud though.

http://imgur.com/a/zeVdF
It was a narrative pushed by a lot of people in various locations throughout the life span of the game.

I could careless if attrition is in the game, i just pointed out how contradictory the complaints were. If it means all of you will be happy then absolutely keep it in. I never liked that it was the default mode when other modes were better and highlighted what made Titanfall actually different.

Unlike you, i have invited anyone that wants to show me different to come online and play some Attrition. I'm here, waiting for whenever you're ready.

One of the more baffling game design choices is not just making the grappling hook something everyone has. By including it as a tool in a slot, you basically shit on every other tool, since why would anyone not want a grappling hook?
Because stim is better.

uwotm8.png

Has it all be contradictory?

Haaaaa! yup. Even the goddamn head of the company echoes what i've been saying. Awesome lol.

SwolBro

Banned
Oh boy, if they're gonna take the "vocal minority" stance then good luck to them.

Stop this. It has nothign to do with this. It's a balancing act. The "vocal minority" could be the people that enjoyed attrition compared to the thousands/millions of people that decided farming bots wasn't fun and that the game was "cod with mechs"

Or people that love attrition are the "majority" and those that hate it and wanted it gone in favor of objective modes were the "minority" or "elitists"

lets just drop this silliness.

Has it all been contradictory?

I get what he means. It seems to me people all want a lot of the same things (so he's not saying people are all saying a bunch of different shit that's contradictory), they just don't realize that many of the proposed changes themselves are self refuting.

I'm one of the guys who personally liked the test, but I still didn't think it was without its issues. I just don't think it was the train wreck people are making it out to be...at all. For example I actually like the mobility more in Titafall 2. Sorry, it may be a little slower, but I wasn't one of those dudes that bunny hopped around all the time in the first game so maybe I'm not entitled to a real opinion or something. I ran, wall-ran, double jumped, and slid. Titanfall 2's running/wall running is slightly slower, the double jump is slightly lower, the slide is waaaay more useful though, and the stim/grapple add a ton to mobility. Plus, it feels like jumping up stuff has been improved, like you can kind of scurry up things if you don't quite make the jump. I don't remember it being that refined in the first game.

Verder

How can such a sure thing become this disappointing? I don't remember being disappointed in a sequel as much as this one. It almost threw everything that made the first game interesting and great and made COD clone.

Here's just some of the things they got wrong:

1- Player movement isn't as smooth as the prequel.

2-Maps are terrible. Almost no thought went into making them. TF1 maps were made with pilots movement/parkour in mind but this one seems like maps from COD or BF.

3- No AI (outside of Bounty Hunter): The feature that made Titanfall unique is gone from all modes except Bounty Hunter which is a poorly designed mode.

4- No Attrition: The most popular mode in TF1 is gone.

5- No titan timer: You get your Titan from a killstreak

6- Killstreak: WTF are you doing Respawn?

I read somewhere that TF1 feels like a sequel to this game and I totally agree with that statement. They pretty much drop the ball on TF2. Maybe TF3 will get back to the series roots.

and please don't tell me it's Technical Test and the full game will be different. What we played is basically a demo. Maybe some tweak here and there but nothing fundamental.

well shit.

there goes me hopes.... BF1 i guess

Vol5

Remove the slide to speed up a jump and make the vaulting over ledges and into windows snappier and I'd be happy after initially disliking it.

While the grapple is handy, it's easy to spot and since they can't shoot while using it, it's easily countered.

While the grapple is handy, it's easy to spot and since they can't shoot while using it, it's easily countered.

Shooting while grappling would be great, and if they upped the damn kill times a bit it may actually be a useful evasion tool. Or they could make the grapple shoot/activate faster.

- Bring back Attrition along with Grunts having dialogue like the first
- Titan timers
- TF1 movement for pilots and titans
- Titan shields
- Zip lines
- TF1 rodeo
- Titan weapon customization (arc cannon pls)
- Offensive and Defensive special core abilities - ex: Scorch firewall or TF1 Ogre's Shield

Hire me, Repsawn

Edit: meant to post this in the tech test thread :p

It makes me nervous that they think it's all contradictory.

There are definitely people ok with the changes but..come on guys let's make this Tribes 2 and not Tribes Vengeance.

Chris1

It makes me nervous that they think it's all contradictory.

There are definitely people ok with the changes but..come on guys let's make this Tribes 2 and not Tribes Vengeance.

That's kind of a shitty statement to make anyway, ofcourse it's going to be contradictory when a good chunk of your potential userbase never played the first one and don't have any of the complaints people have about it.

People aren't complaining it's a bad game or that the game mechanics themselves are bad, it's just that they're a lot worse than Titanfall 1.

The only thing I think all people agree on is the terrible maps lol

SwolBro

Banned
You want to bring back the most OP gun in the game that practically breaks LTS? I'd definitely not hire you if it were my company =D

j/k, i love the arc cannon and i'd like to see it come back tweaked though. Can't be so ridiculous like it is now.

uwotm8.png

Has it all been contradictory?

Seeing how the same issues people have been echoing across the internet all are in line with each other mostly, I don't see how it's contradictory. The only contradiction comes when hes comparing the complaints they heard from TF1 and now the complaints of TF2 are opposite.

Complaints against TF1 were mainly from those who didn't give the game a chance, didn't buy it, or didn't keep on. The complaints from TF2 stem largely from the people who actually liked TF1.

If they are seeing contradictions, then yes they are going to because of who they listen too. But as it's been said, they are targeting the game design to appease the complaints of those who turned their back on TF1, while this is pissing off fans of what we had in TF1. Like they have said in interviews, they pretty much act like everyone hated the AI in matches, when this was a complaint mainly all from the players who didn't even buy TF1 because "it wasn't competitive" enough or that bots don't belong in MP shooters

jeffc919

well shit.

there goes me hopes.... BF1 i guess

Seriously, based on the "beta" I think either TF2 releases on schedule and it's a far inferior game to the original, or it gets delayed and hopefully becomes the proper sequel I was looking forward to. Either way it looks like I'll be playing BF1 this fall. I was originally thinking I'd pass on BF1 at launch and pick it up later since I'd be occupied with TF2 for months. Oh well.

It's contradictory because the complaints from TF2 is going against what they've been hearing from TF1.

So who should they trust?

I don't envy them.

SwolBro

Banned
It's contradictory because the complaints from TF2 is going against what they've been hearing from TF1.

I don't envy them.
Clearly, they should trust the current crop of players here that swear they know what is best and what they're talking about from 10 serious hours of playtime with the original.

You know... just because.

jeffc919

I don't envy them.

You can never make everyone happy. Even some of the best and most successful games have their detractors. But it seems clear that the overwhelming reaction to the "beta" was predominantly negative. This is more than just a "we can't please everyone" scenario.

CrayToes

Who the hell was asking them to change the movement? Or the flow of the maps? Or titan combat? Or the Titan timer? The resounding sentiment I heard from most people (including myself) about a possible sequel was that we wanted the same base game with more depth, progression, content and replay value.

I've played a crazy amount of hours of Titanfall 1. I don't care about attrition or third person animations, I just want bunny hopping and the movement exactly the same as they were in Titanfall with the addition of slide and grappling hook.

The only other things that bother me are the maps and the fact that you don't eject near as high out of your titan.

We shouldnt have to invent a way to move around the map faster. Like the slide hop videos that are popping up. According to the devs interviews back at EA play it was their intent to nerf the movement because according to them most people never mastered the Titanfall 1 movement.

dralla

- Bring back Attrition along with Grunts having dialogue like the first
- Titan timers
- TF1 movement for pilots and titans
- Titan shields
- Zip lines
- TF1 rodeo
- Offensive and Defensive special core abilities - ex: Scorch firewall or TF1 Ogre's Shield

Hire me, Repsawn

Edit: meant to post this in the tech test thread :p

So basically you want Titanfall 1.

Alienous

I don't envy them.

They should trust making it more like the game that bowled people over when they played it, and less like the game that caused their subreddit to implode.

The Call of Duty audience still has Call of Duty. And if they don't want that they'll get Battlefield. Better to satisfy what you have than chase what you can't get.

jeffc919

Who the hell was asking them to change the movement? Or the flow of the maps? Or titan combat? Or the Titan timer? The resounding sentiment I heard from most people (including myself) about a possible sequel was that we wanted the same base game with more depth, progression, content and replay value.

Lots of people clamoring for single player too (not me). But your point stands. This was a totally unforced error. They had a formula for a slam dunk success. Take the brilliant and unique formula from the first title, add some more game types, make new maps in the mold of the originals, add more customization and progression, add a SP campaign, release on the preferred console this time.....make a bunch of $$$.

SwolBro

Banned
IEA play it was their intent to nerf the movement because according to them most people never mastered the Titanfall 1 movement.
How dare they! 1% elitist pricks!

So basically you want Titanfall 1.

I'd like Titanfall 1 maps, movement speed, and titan combat. I think a lot of their other changes have been positive but you damn well know if they did that they would be getting ripped apart by a whole other segment claiming "its just more of the same"

I really want this game to turn out well....

But my faith is pretty shaken.

I feel like some major balance tweaks to things like TTK, Titan timers, that STUPID enemy highlight, etc.... But how much of this games weapons, or maps, or modes, were designed with the current, broken balance in place? Cause that's a ton more work to fix.

Alienous

I'd like Titanfall 1 maps, movement speed, and titan combat. I think a lot of their other changes have been positive but you damn well know if they did that they would be getting ripped apart by a whole other segment claiming "its just more of the same"

If they really want to be successful like Call of Duty they should understand that 'more of the same' sells.

One of the more baffling game design choices is not just making the grappling hook something everyone has. By including it as a tool in a slot, you basically shit on every other tool, since why would anyone not want a grappling hook?

The grappling hook lets you move more freely and quickly but the stim lets you basically get a second chance in any encounter and the decoy is actually really convincing in most situations, i've gotten players with it several times. They're all really good in their own way but have their own weaknesses. Thats how it should be, I think.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Has there been any mention on whether we can keep last weekend's tech test for next weekend or will we have to download a new "build"?

I don't envy them.

Yep. Titanfall didn't hit like they wanted, so any argument along the lines of "Make it like it was in Titanfall" probably isn't going to resonate much with them.

For how good Titanfall 2 is, they're in a real rough spot.

Vire

Has there been any mention on whether we can keep last weekend's tech test for next weekend or will we have to download a new "build"?
It's cute that you are holding out hope that they can make the changes you want to see in one week for an alpha test.

me too

How dare they! 1% elitist pricks!

Right. I'm just saying because most people didn't make full use of the movement system wasn't a reason to dumb it down. Everybody else didn't have a problem getting around the maps.

Jawmuncher

Yep. Titanfall didn't hit like they wanted, so any argument along the lines of "Make it like it was in Titanfall" probably isn't going to resonate much with them.

I get users dropped off, but I don't get how they expected more than the 7 million plus copies they sold. Using only two platforms with the console side of things not even being in the lead.
It'll be interesting if TF2 doesn't do as well as one or has a similar drop off of players, just because at that point I wonder what they would decide they need to do.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
It's cute that you are holding out hope that they can make the changes you want to see in one week for an alpha test.

me too

I'm really not. I'm pretty certain my issues won't (cant) be addressed in time for launch. Still, it's not a bad game and I'm at least semi interested in it.

Vire

I mean the game sold several million on a platform that isn't as popular.

They didn't need to change anything, just increase the scope of the audience. First game would have been in the 10 million range had it released on both consoles.

Now they are pinned between COD and Battlefield so I don't think it'll do anywhere near those numbers unfortunately.

Jawmuncher

They didn't need to change anything, just increase the scope of the audience. First game would have been in the 10 million range had it released on both consoles.

Now they are pinned between COD and Battlefield so I don't think it'll do anywhere near those numbers unfortunately.

I don't quite understand why they didn't try to just continue what they had with 1 to see how the playstation audience would like it. By far the biggest complaint I ever saw about Titanfall was no campaign, and that unlocks were done pretty quick. Thus the carrot and stick approach that some need didn't last very long.

Personally I have no idea why it didn't catch on. Probably confused me the most out of anything game related in a long time. When I eventually got to play it on PC, it seemed great.... yet there was only a couple hundred people in the attrition playlist. The only problems I had with it was burn cards and the smart pistol (both gone!).

The exclusivity thing was the only reason I could think of that it didn't hit like they were hoping for.

3DShovel

I absolutely loved the tech test and am looking forward to playing some more this weekend.

There are some things I definitely agree with in terms of things they should change:
- Titans should be on a timer
- Titan batteries should allow shield regeneration to incentivize picking them up and putting them in ally Titans
- Ziplines could be useful

I actually quite enjoyed the two maps that were in the tech test and I feel like the maps played well with the sandbox. I don't think them changing the movement speed is going to make much a difference at all in terms of how the game plays. That being said, if they increased it, I wouldn't mind.

Also, regarding the TTK. I also am happy with where it's at now. But, if they raised it a tiny bit, I wouldn't mind either.

I don't think those two things being changed are going to make the world of difference people are expecting it to. If you ask me there are many more areas that Respawn chose to improve that make a much greater difference.
- Pilots feel like they have an actual weight to them
- The slide is vastly improved over the first game and is a huge plus for the player's movement options.
- The guns sound meatier and are more fun to use. The recoil is also much better.
- It's easier to keep your Titan for a longer period of time in this game, provided you grab batteries and have teammates that are grabbing batteries and providing them to you as well
- The AI doesn't feel completely useless and have become part of the 'objective', further pulling the game away from 'Team Deathmatch with AI", because lets face it, that's what Attrition was. There's a lot more 'meta' (I guess you can say that) in Bounty Hunter, as victory is not solely dependant on who gets the most pilot kills, but rather on which team effectively plays the bounties, safely deposits their cash, and denies their opponents from doing the same.

That's just a small list of things I feel are much better this time around. Anywho, can't wait to play more this weekend.

Jawmuncher

I absolutely loved the tech test and am looking forward to playing some more this weekend.

There are some things I definitely agree with in terms of things they should change:
- Titans should be on a timer
- Titan batteries should allow shield regeneration to incentivize picking them up and putting them in ally Titans
- Ziplines could be useful

I actually quite enjoyed the two maps that were in the tech test and I feel like the maps played well with the sandbox. I don't think them changing the movement speed is going to make much a difference at all in terms of how the game plays. That being said, if they increased it, I wouldn't mind.

Also, regarding the TTK. I also am happy with where it's at now. But, if they raised it a tiny bit, I wouldn't mind either.

I don't think those two main things being changed are going the world of difference people are expecting it to. If you ask me there are many more areas that Respawn chose to improve that make a much greater difference.
- Pilots feel like they have an actual weight to them
- The slide is vastly improved over the first game and is a huge plus for the player's movement options.
- The guns sound meatier and are more fun to use. The recoil is also much better.
- It's easier to keep your Titan for a longer period of time in this game, provided you grab batteries and have teammates that are grabbing batteries and providing them to you as well
- The AI doesn't feel completely useless and have become part of the 'objective', further pulling the game away from 'Team Deathmatch with AI", because lets face it, that's what Attrition was. There's a lot more 'meta' (I guess you can say that) in Bounty Hunter, as victory is not solely dependant on who gets the most pilot kills, but rather on which team effectively plays the bounties, safely deposits their cash, and denies their opponents from doing the same.

That's just a small list of things I feel are much better this time around. Anywho, can't wait to play more this weekend.

While not directed to you, I feel like a lot of people miss why people liked attrition so much. While it is basically TDM with AI, the spectacle of it all was what really kept people hooked to that mode. Among all of the AIs running around, video feed on the screen telling you when a titan was coming, sound design, and numerous other things. It really felt like you were a big deal soldier (Which pilots are supposed to be). Going through this battlefield taking care of both the grunts and other pilots. This is something Bounty Hunt doesn't offer at all compared to the first. If TF2 brought back that feeling of being in a actual warzone as a super soldier I know personally i would dislike it a lot less.
Right now all of the gamestypes just feel empty in comparison even with more players, since they have lost that charm and world building. Epilouge's made sense and fit naturally in TF1. In TF2 they feel so tacked on. This is why most people upset about attrition really don't care that the AI are more of a challenge or that they do more damage and what not. They were always the salt and pepper added to the mode, and were never meant to be the focus to win.

3DShovel

While not directed to you, I feel like a lot of people miss why people liked attrition so much. While it is basically TDM with AI, the spectacle of it all was what really kept people hooked to that mode. Among all of the AIs running around, video feed on the screen telling you when a titan was coming, sound design, and numerous other things. It really felt like you were a big deal soldier (Which pilots are supposed to be). Going through this battlefield taking care of both the grunts and other pilots. This is something Bounty Hunt doesn't offer at all compared to the first. If TF2 brought back that feeling of being in a actual warzone as a super soldier I know personally i would dislike it a lot less.
Right now all of the gamestypes just feel empty in comparison even with more players, since they have lost that charm and world building. Epilouge's felt like they made sense and fit naturally in TF1. In TF2 they feel so tacked on.

I definitely agree that Bounty Hunter is missing the 'spectacle' of Attrition, but the 'spectacle' doesn't really have much of an impact on how the game plays. Most people simply ignore the AI. While I agree that the first game had a great feel 'on the battlefield', I don't particularly think that a more 'focused' experience is a bad thing either.

Personally I have no idea why it didn't catch on. Probably confused me the most out of anything game related in a long time. When I eventually got to play it on PC, it seemed great.... yet there was only a couple hundred people in the attrition playlist. The only problems I had with it was burn cards and the smart pistol (both gone!).

The exclusivity thing was the only reason I could think of that it didn't hit like they were hoping for.

To me, it didn't have much longevity. I put in a fair bit of time, but it was obvious that it wasn't holding the crowd who are used to carrots dangling in front of their faces chasing that loot. It's a somewhat large factor of what makes many online shooters popular, getting to that next fix, unlocking another gun to try.

Other content was sparse at launch too. It should have launched with the later dlc content.

Jawmuncher

I definitely agree that Bounty Hunter is missing the 'spectacle' of Attrition, but the 'spectacle' doesn't really have much of an impact on how the game plays. Most people simply ignore the AI. While I agree that the first game had a great feel 'on the battlefield', I don't particularly think that a more 'focused' experience is a bad thing either.

Depends on what you want I suppose. I could forgive a lot of these changes if the game still had that feeling like in TF1. With how empty they are in numerous in all regards, it really pulls me out of it and hampers my enjoyment of what they are trying to do. Since the issues then stick out more since there is nothing to distract.
Since the way I see it, it should be possible to offer more focus while still keeping the spectacle if they really wanted to.

To me, it didn't have much longevity. I put in a fair bit of time, but it was obvious that it wasn't holding the crowd who are used to carrots dangling in front of their faces chasing that loot. It's a somewhat large factor of what makes many online shooters popular, getting to that next fix, unlocking another gun to try.

I fucking hate that filling bar bullshit. I'd like to hope it's them taking a stance against that sort of fluff.

Traxtech

I don't know how to feel about TF2. I was so hyped for it then tried it the other day.

Just wasn't feeling it, probably was expecting a cleaner TF1 and i got a CoD clone.

Top Bottom