• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 is depressingly disappointing....

Real talk

This game is less than two months from release.

This is not a pre-alpha build, a REAL pre-alpha build would have been from mid to late 2014.

This is a glorified demo that serves to stress the servers and make final tweaks before release.

Yes and no IMHO. Yes, a true pre-alpha would be very, very early in development and probably would have placeholders for most everything visually i'd assume. Gameplay would be pretty far from final as well.

This pre-alpha tech test build is said to be from the beginning of summer according to Respawn (was posted by a Respawn employee) and is likely very representative of what we'll see come final release. That said there is still much that could be tweaked, switched and added or removed. The core seems pretty done but who knows what differences the final build will contain.

Cqj_QNWUEAAB_UG.jpg

Respawn discussing tech test feedback.

Not going to lie they look absolutely miserable. The look on all their faces says "what have we done?"

Hopefully they delay it and take the feedback on board seriously. The maps need to be completely redone imo (assuming they're anything like the 2 in the tech test)

Looks to me like just another early morning meeting late in development process...

I mean, no doubt someone there is taking the backlash with a heavy heart, but given how enthusiast media took to it, how I took to it (positive), and the general lack of dissenting opinions being heard out in this thread, I have to wonder if it actually accounts for any substantial amount of people who played.

I'm not saying that the criticism is unworthy or anything, but it does feel like a huge ass echo chamber in here, from a first game that if I remember right, did not hold a huge audience for very long, and a lot of the pro-Titanfall 2 stuff seems to just get flown by or responded to angrily right now.

jeffc919

Honestly they should take all of the criticism and be happy that they have so many people who want TF2 and want it to be great. They made a mistake but the game isn't even gold yet so they have time to delay it.

Do they? Or would they need EA's approval? I don't know their business obligations but I would suspect the latter. The BF Hardline delay is at least precedent for EA agreeing to a delay for a game that wasn't well received in its beta.

rackham

Banned
Do they? Or would they need EA's approval? I don't know their business obligations but I would suspect the latter. The BF Hardline delay is at least precedent for EA agreeing to a delay for a game that wasn't well received in its beta.
Idk contracts are always weird but if EA wants to keep the brand strong I could see them delaying. We will find out within two weeks though. Don't think it can be decided after that

wbarreda

I posted this earlier in the thread, but why are people assuming Attrition will not be in the game when it launches? We are talking about an Alpha here, are we not?

It is an assumption based on the fact that Neogaf, the Titanfall subredit and the official forms all have threads about attrition being removed. Respawn stalks most of theses threads and all one of them has to do is say "of course attrition is in the game" but no one has. That is why people think it was removed.

Cqj_QNWUEAAB_UG.jpg

Not going to lie they look absolutely miserable. The look on all their faces says "what have we done?"

Hopefully they delay it and take the feedback on board seriously. The maps need to be completely redone imo (assuming they're anything like the 2 in the tech test)

#Bluejeans

Sou Da

Cqj_QNWUEAAB_UG.jpg

So we all wore the blue jeans today huh?

Alienous

Cqj_QNWUEAAB_UG.jpg

Titanfall 2 is the kind of game I expect from people who eat pastries directly off of a table.

deadlast

Cqj_QNWUEAAB_UG.jpg

The discussion is probably looking at feedback and vetting valid fixable complaints vs community wants. I would love to be there or watch a recorded version of this meeting.

The discussion is probably looking at feedback and vetting valid fixable complaints vs community wants. I would love to be there or watch a recorded version of this meeting.
THAT would be awesome! Probably too spoiler filled to be released to the public... But damn what I wouldn't give to just see loads of discussion regarding the creation and tweaking of TF2's multiplayer.

That's fair. I agree completely that "elitism" alone doesn't adequately explain "opposition" to or annoyance with Attrition. I mean, when it comes to opinions about anything we all fall somewhere on a gradient, right? None of us are going to agree 100% on anything. It's totally legit to *love* Titanfall but also be annoyed at times that the only mode with enough active population to get in some quick games was Attrition. That's not necessarily elitism so much as simply wanting there to be healthier populations in more modes over the course of TF2's projected lifespan, if only for the sake of variety. After all, with "lack of content" being the primary reason TF1 died a quick death, it would seem that encouraging a player base with a *variety* of engaging modes would go a long way towards fixing that problem.

I think most/all of us can agree on that. Where we start having points of contention is when it comes to how exactly to deal with the "content" or "variety" problems. It appears Respawn's initial solution is to simply rip Attrition out of the game. Now, despite many of us being able to agree that Attrition being the only mode with long-term population was annoying, I think most of us can also agree that taking Attrition out of the game entirely may not be the best solution. After all, it had the largest population for the longest time for a reason: People generally found it fun and instantly accessible/rewarding (even if many of us would agree it's "shallow", that pick up and play quality is what gave it it's long life while other modes died off).

Basically, I think what many people are arguing for is some kind of middle ground. Tweak TF1 if necessary...improve on the solid core/gunplay/movement, but bring back the things that make Titanfall a unique experience. Attrition may have siphoned people away from other modes. But dont remove it. Make the other modes BETTER and give them a better hook so people want to play them long term. Don't take out the primary mode that kept TF1 alive.

It's understandable that some were annoyed by attrition due to it's popularity when wanting to play other modes. However no fix for a mode being too popular should be to just outright take out the mode. Just doesn't make sense for all those people who do like it. I can't imagine how things would go right now if they just up and went to cut attrition right now from T1. I've said before they can just give incentive playing other modes. Perhaps only certain modes get a double XP weekend, or other such things.

I don't think they're outright taking the mode out of the game. They're replacing it with bounty hunt (if they indeed are not bringing attrition back). It's only a little more complex and they stated that technical test build is an old build and that some criticism made has already been addressed. If they polish it up, it'll probably be a worthy successor to attrition that also appeals to some people who didn't like how shallow attrition turned out to be.

Additionally, attrition was more necessary when the game didn't even have the tower defense co-op mode, let alone a singleplayer. Singleplayer could prove that attrition mode is much less necessary for new players to get acquainted with the game.

And Overwatch, imo, proves that a AAA FPS doesn't need the standard mindless TDM mode to be successful.

Nephtes

Are people seriously going to call this "TF2"? "GoW" all over again :(

Nothing confusing about that... Not seeing where you're coming from. Nope.

Since you brought it up though...remember in GoW when you got that first Lancer chainsaw kill?

Ahh man, good times...

jeffc919

I don't think they're outright taking the mode out of the game. They're replacing it with bounty hunt (if they indeed are not bringing attrition back). It's only a little more complex and they stated that technical test build is an old build and that some criticism made has already been addressed. If they polish it up, it'll probably be a worthy successor to attrition that also appeals to some people who didn't like how shallow attrition turned out to be.

Additionally, attrition was more necessary when the game didn't even have the tower defense co-op mode, let alone a singleplayer. Singleplayer could prove that attrition mode is much less necessary for new players to get acquainted with the game.

And Overwatch, imo, proves that a AAA FPS doesn't need the standard mindless TDM mode to be successful.

I can only speak for myself but I'm sure many others share the same view. I loved Attrition mode in TF1. It's one of my favorite multiplayer games types I've ever played. I hated Bounty Hunter in the beta. No amount of polishing or refinement will make it a suitable replacement for me. If Attrition or a similar enough type game type isn't in TF2 then I will pass on this game and play something else, and this was by far my most hyped game coming out this year.

Cqj_QNWUEAAB_UG.jpg

FidZknJ.gif

Respawn calls Bounty Hunt "an evolution of Attrition" which is some pretty fancy word-smithing at this point (I'm being nice. Something like "bullshit" would be more accurate). As you noted, this has been discussed at great length in the OT and from what I understand the consensus so far is that, yes, they are essentially yanking out Attrition entirely. Anyone who has actually played the beta this weekend would have to agree that for now, it doesn't flow like Attrition at all. Personally, I hated it. On the other hand, I don't think Bounty Hunt - or TF2 in general - is beyond salvaging. Respawn are a talented bunch. It's just that if this is mostly a finished core then this game isn't much like TF1 at all. And that's a problem.

Vire

"I fucking told you grappling hook should have been a default option"

"no one fucking listens to me"

The3rdBozon

Neo Member
Now only players with a certain skill level will get a Titan regularly.

Again, personal opinion, but people seem to be overreacting based on what I played.

It's a scorestreak, not a killstreak. Earning any XP boosts it (from my time with it), so you could get a Titan without firing your gun by just smacking a few grunts or hanging out in a capture point.

Waiting for final version to judge, but I had a ton of fun with it, and I'm a massive, massive TF1 fan.

killroy87

One of the more baffling game design choices is not just making the grappling hook something everyone has. By including it as a tool in a slot, you basically shit on every other tool, since why would anyone not want a grappling hook?

One of the more baffling game design choices is not just making the grappling hook something everyone has. By including it as a tool in a slot, you basically shit on every other tool, since why would anyone not want a grappling hook?

because the sonar pulse is necessary for amped hardpoint. Because some players would rather have cloak and some would rather use stim. I love the grappling hook when I play Bounty Hunt but when I am playing more competitively I don't use it

I used sonar guy until I unlocked the cloak pilot...

Bizazedo

What the two above me said, but it's not necessary. It just fits a playstyle. It'd be cool if everyone had it.

That being said, I find it more amusing that the grappling hook is best used Spider-Man style it seems, and not like as a grappling hook.

Lots of times where I didn't use grapple:

Stim to survive battles and rush on the ground, sonar to protect my flag caps, and the cloak is nuch better than tf1

Grapple hook as an ability is fine. Big ass open maps requiring you to use it to get a sense of momentum are not

The tricky thing is that most of the feedback I've seen in here doesn't seem easily fixable. Definitely seems to go beyond tweaking a few damage numbers.

VariantX

The better question is to ask when he played, before or after the buff to getting the Titans.

That and his gist is actually right, killing people and ignoring objectives seemed to get me Titans far faster than actually playing the objectives exclusively (always 2, sometimes more a game). And that was after the patch.

Separate subject.

TF1 clip I just saw on the reddit.
https://youtu.be/peEPSV8IKdI?t=26

That kind of flexibility is definitely missing from TF2 (so far). I think that might be one of the underlying thing that bugs be. The simplification of a lot of the mechanics.

This is why I roll my eyes when people attempt to describe titans as a killstreak. They're just two extremes, extreme damge for titans and extreme mobility for pilots.

Wouldn't it be better to delay regardless?

I mean EA are just sending it out to die with BF, COD 4 and Gears 4 all coming out in the same period.

rackham

Banned
The biggest change of you as a playerin the maps is how the verticality sense is lost. You could get to the top of certain maps in tf1 easily. So many great warfare spots in the air and hard to get places. Now gone until shown otherwise.

Anung

Un Rama
Cqj_QNWUEAAB_UG.jpg

Pictures really do say a thousand words. All of them fucckkkkkk.

Cqj_QNWUEAAB_UG.jpg

Awww man :(

Jawmuncher

Unless this build doesn't have a lot of new changes, I don't see bounty hunter being a very good consolation prize. The focus on the zones for AI just isn't very fun compared to a full warzone with AI every where.

jet1911

Unless this build doesn't have a lot of new changes, I don't see bounty hunter being a very good consolation prize. The focus on the zones for AI just isn't very fun compared to a full warzone with AI every where.

Attrition games almost felt like some single player levels. Lots of things going on in the background, ennemies everywhere. Felt like a war. Bounty hunt felt empty and the downtime between waves slow the game way too much.

RedFury

Wouldn't it be better to delay regardless?

I mean EA are just sending it out to die with BF, COD 4 and Gears 4 all coming out in the same period.
You all keep seeing it the wrong way. EA is trying to stop people buying CoD and they don't care if you get BF OR TF2 it is money in their pocket and not their competitors. As far as they are concerned it did its job.
Edit: It really only sucks for us.

Attrition games almost felt like some single player levels. Lots of things going on in the background, ennemies everywhere. Felt like a war. Bounty hunt felt empty and the downtime between waves slow the game way too much.

Guess with it moving to PS4 they don't have the power of the cloud to pull it off

xbone.jpg

Looks to me like just another early morning meeting late in development process...

I mean, no doubt someone there is taking the backlash with a heavy heart, but given how enthusiast media took to it, how I took to it (positive), and the general lack of dissenting opinions being heard out in this thread, I have to wonder if it actually accounts for any substantial amount of people who played.

I'm not saying that the criticism is unworthy or anything, but it does feel like a huge ass echo chamber in here, from a first game that if I remember right, did not hold a huge audience for very long, and a lot of the pro-Titanfall 2 stuff seems to just get flown by or responded to angrily right now.

This is not the only place where I'm hearing these criticisms. At all. Go to GameFAQs and read the first few thread titles (just don't open them, cause you know...GameFAQs.)

You all keep seeing it the wrong way. EA is trying to stop people buying CoD and they don't care if you get BF OR TF2 it is money in their pocket and not their competitors. As far as they are concerned it did its job.
Edit: It really only sucks for us.

It's not going to stop people buying cod though. It's going to be traded in for COD though.

I highly doubt people are going to not buy COD 4 for this even if it was good.

It just makes no sense. Good games sell in any period of the year.

Camoxide

Unconfirmed Member
Not gonna lie, I was missing the nuclear ejections pretty harshly in TF2.

....but they probably should've taken a tad longer to trigger in TF1.

It was really easy to avoid though, just a couple of dashes backwards and if for some reason you were backed into a wall you could just manual eject because you're invulnerable whilst the animation is playing.

RedFury

It's not going to stop people buying cod though. It's going to be traded in for COD though.

I highly doubt people are going to not buy COD 4 for this even if it was good.

It just makes no sense. Good games sell in any period of the year.
Lol if you trade it in they already got you. Still not getting it man. Also I can promise you that Respawn wants to make this game good and make their fan base happy that's just common sense. The thing is that they are partnered with EA and they have a deal. What do you mean, people are claiming it's CoD with robots, kill streaks and all. Who do you think they are after?(I don't agree with this sentiment at all btw)

Jawmuncher

It was really easy to avoid though, just a couple of dashes backwards and if for some reason you were backed into a wall you could just manual eject because you're invulnerable whilst the animation is playing.

Getting a double or triple titan kill with that nuke though.
sublime.

Omadahl

Banned
Ouch. Those are some disappointing changes. I was going to get this over Battlefield 1 but now I'm back on the fence. Too bad because Titanfall was one of the best experiences I've had in a shooter.

Ouch. Those are some disappointing changes. I was going to get this over Battlefield 1 but now I'm back on the fence. Too bad because Titanfall was one of the best experiences I've had in a shooter.

It'll never be TF1, but maybe they can make enough changes in the right direction. One can hope.

Top Bottom