• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 is depressingly disappointing....

Noobcraft

Did they switch servers for the sequel and drop the cloud compute AI or something? I didn't get a chance to try out the preview, but as someone who thought the first game was great I'm surprised at the negative response to the new one.

something about players able to play as a giant robots and begin able jump/swing in MP games doesn't do well with me ....gets old fast

they should go back to basic with good weapon balance and great map design ....none of that fancy shit

You dont like giant robots or enhanced mobility in your MP games? But you think Respawn should take TF2 back to basics? I'm... well... i just dont know what to say right now.

won't disagree that the maps in the original titanfall beta were way better than these two but the complaints were there during the initial launch of the game. look at reddit during that time, and i'm sure if you search here you'll see it.

people couldn't "find' other pilots for long stretches of time and thought the maps were too big.

Never said that but when the complaints contradict themselves, and don't mesh with the reality of the original game... gotta question the validity of some of them
Which ones are contradictory? All I'm seeing is a bunch of people with similar concerns and mostly negative impressions, then enters SwolBro to throw a fit about the negative impressions, generally shitting on everyone's opinions and quoting the 1 or 2 other people who actually agree with you while attributing others' complaints to some nebulous bandwagoning effect. You don't have to damage control for the game; if it's better when it comes out, people will adjust their views.

something about players able to play as a giant robots and begin able jump/swing in MP games doesn't do well with me ....gets old fast

they should go back to basic with good weapon balance and great map design ....none of that fancy shit

You're totally missing the point of Titanfall. You should stick to Black Ops.

SwolBro

Banned
Did they switch servers for the sequel and drop the cloud compute AI or something? I didn't get a chance to try out the preview, but as someone who thought the first game was great I'm surprised at the negative response to the new one.

There's 3 main fundamental issues with the game. Some of the other complaints can be easily fixed with an update, the 3 that may present a bigger problem that may or may not be addressed are

• Titan shield/customizable load outs
  • Map design
  • A.I

Now, the original Titanfall beta didn't have titan shields either. So this could be a simple fix. The load outs present a bigger problem because they really may not have any intention of allowing titan customization.

Map design could be a serious problem that won't be fixed by launch if all the maps follow the same design philosophy as the two we got to play. The maps we got aren't focused on parkouring, which could also present a problem with this games design philosophy. We simply don't know yet.

We don't know how much A.I will be implemented in other modes, or if there will be other modes like attrition. It could be that the game can't handle the amount of A.I like the first one did with all the updated graphics, etc. We just don't know.

The other issues like TTK, pilots glowing bright red, titan timer, etc can all be addressed and changed easily if they choose to.

Jinroh

So in Titanfall 2 only good players will get to play with titans? Seems fair. It's not like piloting one would give them even more of an advantage against casual players anyway, right.

I know I'm just jumping in with everyone else but I feel the same way. I played Titanfall 1 for a very long time. I loved that the titans made you feel powerful and if you were good at wall riding you could out maneuver anyone in the game. Titanfall 2 just does not have the same feeling. I could tell after about an hour of playtime that this game was just not for me. Titanfall 2 has lost its soul. IMO

Nowise10

You have to be really bad at the game if some players can't manage to call in Titans in a match. I've had moments where I'm calling down a Titan 40 seconds into games. It isn't like "You need to get 10 kills without dying to call down a Titan". Its more "Get a couple Pilot kills and AI kills and you can call down a Titan".

You honestly can fill your Titan meter to over 60% just by killing the starting drop pods in Bounty Hunt. In modes like Hardpoint, playing the Objective is the only efficient way to call a Titan. It isn't a Killstreak from CoD. It just isn't as noob friendly at Titanfall 1, take that as you will.

So in Titanfall 2 only good players will get to play with titans? Seems fair. It's not like piloting one would give them even more of an advantage against casual players anyway, right.
Playing hard point, if you do the objective, you'll get your Titan after maybe 3 point captures and maybe a little defense? It wasn't as bad as some of the comments I'm seeing online. I was rolling with a 3 man group, and once I got the hang of things the game was fuckin awesome.

Can't say about the other modes tho, wasn't feelin em so I didn't play em.

I see a lot of people claiming that Titans in the titanfall 2 beta are a killstreak, pretty sure that's false.

You can get percentage toward Titan build time even without killing people by doing stuff like sitting on a capture point in Hardpoint or feeding a battery to a friendly Titan.

Biggest problem with tf2 is the maps, they feel very different from TF1 maps and it's unclear why. Did they completely replace the map design team?

Kill3r7

I think people have lost the plot here. Everyone can get a Titan. Good players will just get one quicker than you, which was the case in R1 as well.

The issue is that the timer, guaranteed you a Titan in R1 vs a scorestreak which requires that you actively kill grunts or pilots to access your Titan. In certain modes this is harder to accomplish than others. Through my 10 hours of playtime with the Tech Test I never had an issue getting a Titan in a game of Bounty, same cannot be said for Hardpoint.

Indelible

It is a damn shame to hear these bad impressions for Titanfall 2, I loved the first one alot. All they had to do is improve and add on what they had, not completely change how the game is played. I might cancel my pre-order if it turns out to play like a cheap Call of Duty knockoff.

I see a lot of people claiming that Titans in the titanfall 2 beta are a killstreak, pretty sure that's false.

You can get percentage toward Titan build time even without killing people by doing stuff like sitting on a capture point in Hardpoint or feeding a battery to a friendly Titan.

Biggest problem with tf2 is the maps, they feel very different from TF1 maps and it's unclear why. Did they completely replace the map design team?

Yup. Tho I have faith that only two so-so maps will be a drop in the bucket to the total count the game ships with. I'm sure they know what makes their game special.

E92 M3

Now you're correlating skill to game mechanics and balancing. Why do you think the titans in TF2 are "completely disposable" and how does that differ from how you see them in TF1? Why don't you think the battery mechanic works? I personally think it adds much more strategy than simply doing a rodeo and ending a titan. Could it be you're just not enjoying these two Titans and maybe some of the other Titans will be less disposable?

I knew that my statement was anecdotal, but it wasn't difficult to take down a Titan - just required a bit of thought. It was not a simple rodeo. A simple rodeo is what we have now - everything is a canned animation. Titans should inherently have a shield; it opens up the potential options and improves survivability - batteries, while possibly good in theory, are not fun in execution.

I am interested in seeing what the other Titans are, but the lack of customization sucks. Would prefer to use custom weapons, AI voice, abilities and frames. Not a fan of the "hero" system they have for Titans now.

You have to be really bad at the game if some players can't manage to call in Titans in a match. I've had moments where I'm calling down a Titan 40 seconds into games. It isn't like "You need to get 10 kills without dying to call down a Titan". Its more "Get a couple Pilot kills and AI kills and you can call down a Titan".

You honestly can fill your Titan meter to over 60% just by killing the starting drop pods in Bounty Hunt. In modes like Hardpoint, playing the Objective is the only efficient way to call a Titan. It isn't a Killstreak from CoD. It just isn't as noob friendly at Titanfall 1, take that as you will.

Not about being noob-friendly. All players are entitled to a Titan in a game called "Titanfall" not "Pilotfall."

Plasma

Banned
I didn't get to try the technical test but as someone who played a lot of TF1 those changes sound worrying. Hope they fix it before launch.

SwolBro

Banned
Which ones are contradictory? All I'm seeing is a bunch of people with similar concerns and mostly negative impressions, then enters SwolBro to throw a fit about the negative impressions, generally shitting on everyone's opinions and quoting the 1 or 2 other people who actually agree with you while attributing others' complaints to some nebulous bandwagoning effect. You don't have to damage control for the game; if it's better when it comes out, people will adjust their views.

Read below. How can people complain (in the same post) that the game is too easy with low TTK, camping, and then complain about having to do work to get your Titan instead of waiting for a timer? Shit like that doesn't make sense when you can obtain your titan insanely fast by only being remotely competent in the game?

Some of the concerns are valid, others don't make any sense.

I felt that playing as and destroying titans is the main point of the game. Everything else is ancillary. On that basis I had a lot of fun.

Also PS - I'm trash at fast paced shooters and I still got my titan every match.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Sometimes i think i live in a world where everyone is fucking crazy but me

• The gunplay is still the best you can find in any shooter
  • The speed of the game is still there, when 99% of the original Titanfall population didn't know how to parkour or bhop properly how are so many people complaining about the movement in this game?
  • Attrition was a shit mode in the original game with a majority of those players, even the veterans not playing it at a very high level, CTF and LTS is where the good players went to play
  • A good player in the original Titanfall could get in a titan and completely wipe out an entire team, people complained about how dominating a titan was in the first game but now are complaining about how weak they are now?

There's definitely things here they need to fix like

• Lack of custom titan load outs
  • Bright glow around players
  • Maps being a bit too open
  • Tacticals being slow to replenish

But the doom and gloom is blown way out of proportion

i was just personally attacked.

Look I do apologise if it came across as attacking 'you' I'm talking about fuck off with that mindset of anyone who disagrees with you is talking 'nonsense' I just don't agree with that and you don't seem to mention certains things that I for example am not fond off so i'll do my best to mention those instead of getting into a heated argument.

For example I strongly disagree with the removal of:

1. The titan timer. - For me Titanfall is about everyone getting the opportunity to have Titan, it's inclusive and it's a part of what the first game was about and made it special. I don't even think it matters from a competitive standpoint because bad players will get fucked over badly.

2. The AI - In the first game the AI was all over the battlefield, they've reduced it to two points in Bounty Hunter and this leads to two direct chokepoints leading to camping by both teams. In TF1 there was a combat flow all over the battlefield with battles happening everywhere, players of all skills got to join in. For example if you weren't say the best pilot killer in the game you could could also hack specters and they would even help take over Hardpoints too contributing to the game. Again this is just this mode I'm talking about, obviously I'm not talking about the full game.

3. Amped Hardpoint - I absolutely hate the Amped part of this mode. It again encourages camping around a spot and staying still. One of the things I used to love doing was taking my Titan and putting it in guard mode around the point, it doesn't work as well in TF2. Now maybe they'll have a separate Hardpoint mode in TF2 ? I don't know.

4. The movement at a very base level is just much slower and not as fluid as TF1. Sure you may be a pro player with the sliding etc but with the way it is the speed feels like a slightly faster COD than TF1. However this is probably one of the easier things to rectify, I'm more worried about the map design for this.

5. Removing recharging shields from Titans and making dashes finite - This is one of my biggest issues with TF2. I really don't like it at all. I hate having to remove batteries from other Titans and then plug them into other Titans. It's just something that didn't need changed. It has altered the cat and mouse mechanics in TF2 for the worse. It's also something that was vital to LTS and how fun those fights could be. Chipping away at a Titans shield, sussing each other out, using your vortex, dashing out of the way etc. With that whole mechanic completely changed it'll be about whoever runs up and does the most damage first. Also due to the customisation you could never be quite certain what weapons Titans would be using, it would lead to an element of surprise not knowing what your opponent was bringing to the table. I am very very curious to see how they handle LTS in TF2. Essentially they've made the pilots more important than the Titans in Titanfall and I don't agree with that, the Titans were always the most important part of Titanfall to me.

6. Removal of presentation elements - Not that important really in the scheme of things but things such as a the way the Titan enters the battlefield, that WOOOOSH noises as it comes in and how it looks like rocket reentering. Entering the Titan in a first person animation, jumping off the roof top and your Titan grabbing you was cool as fuuuuuuck. Also things like Abbie Heppes voice counting down the timer until your Titan was ready, I loved that shit. Hell being executed in first person was hilarious and great as well like being thrown across the map.

That's off the top of my head but if I think of more I'll add to it.

Earning a titan is score based but about 20% of the score you earn cools down and fades away, so if you earned 25% of a titan for doing something cool, if you don't keep it up you lose 5% in cooldown, it's not exactly that but the game forces you to keep up the action to earn titans.

Can everyone earn a titan? yeah sure if they play ok, but where in titanfall 1 you could have 3 titans just from natural timer countdowns, in this test you can walk away with one single titan or even none at all depending on how the match goes.

And when you do get a titan, don't expect to use it against many other titans or enemies because you'll be chest lasered for 75% of your hp or tagged from across the map with no personal shield buffer to help protect you.

Effect

So they removed everything that made TitanFall unique. Thanks. That's all I need to know and have no reason to follow or care about this new game now. The AI and timer made that game a lot of fun. As did the map design. I don't want to play a wannabe CoD. I'll play the real thing if I want COD.

I mentioned this in the impressions thread, but does anyone else think it's completely immersion breaking that the camera goes 3rd person when your pilot enters the Titan? The first person prespective from 1 feels so good, I have no idea why they would change that!
Of all of the horrible changes this is the one that makes the least sense to me.

And it shows how even small changes can take the magic out of something.

So much of what I remember fondly about my first few matches of Titanfall 1 - those seminal moments that bulged my eyes out and made me fall for the game - have been ground out in the tech test that I can watch videos of this game all day and not recognize it. Had to remind my buddies that even while TF2 could be a fun and polished game in its own right, it's not the Titanfall I had been gushing about for the past year.

Yup 100% agree with OP, loved the first one, but this is just a cod clone now "lol", mega disappointed. I will give it another shot at the next tech test, but I won't get my hopes up. Man, two games within one month I am super disappointed with. No Man's Sky and Titanfall 2.(I know it's not released yet, can't imagine any radical changes until release)

SwolBro

Banned
Look I do apologise if it came across as attacking 'you' I'm talking about fuck off with that mindset of anyone who disagrees with you is talking 'nonsense' I just don't agree with that and you don't seem to mention certains things that I for example am not fond off so i'll do my best to mention those instead of getting into a heated argument.

For example I strongly disagree with the removal of:

1. The titan timer. - For me Titanfall is about everyone getting the opportunity to have Titan, it's inclusive and it's a part of what the first game was about and made it special. I don't even think it matters from a competitive standpoint because bad players will get fucked over badly.

2. The AI - In the first game the AI was all over the battlefield, they've reduced it to two points in Bounty Hunter and this leads to two direct chokepoints leading to camping by both teams. In TF1 there was a combat flow all over the battlefield with battles happening everywhere, players of all skills got to join in. For example if you weren't say the best pilot killer in the game you could could also hack specters and they would even help take over Hardpoints too contributing to the game. Again this is just this mode I'm talking about, obviously I'm not talking about the full game.

3. Amped Hardpoint - I absolutely hate the Amped part of this mode. It again encourages camping around a spot and staying still. One of the things I used to love doing was taking my Titan and putting it in guard mode around the point, it doesn't work as well in TF2. Now maybe they'll have a separate Hardpoint mode in TF2 ? I don't know.

4. The movement at a very base level is just much slower and not as fluid as TF1. Sure you may be a pro player with the sliding etc but with the way it is the speed feels like a slightly faster COD than TF1. However this is probably one of the easier things to rectify, I'm more worried about the map design for this.

5. Removing recharging shields from Titans and making dashes finite - This is one of my biggest issues with TF2. I really don't like it at all. I hate having to remove batteries from other Titans and then plug them into other Titans. It's just something that didn't need changed. It has altered the cat and mouse mechanics in TF2 for the worse. It's also something that was vital to LTS and how fun those fights could be. Chipping away at a Titans shield, sussing each other out, using your vortex, dashing out of the way etc. With that whole mechanic completely changed it'll be about whoever runs up and does the most damage first. Also due to the customisation you could never be quite certain what weapons Titans would be using, it would lead to an element of surprise not knowing what your opponent was bringing to the table. I am very very curious to see how they handle LTS in TF2.

6. Removal of presentation elements - Not that important really in the scheme of things but things such as a the way the Titan enters the battlefield, that WOOOOSH noises as it comes in and how it looks like rocket reentering. Entering the Titan in a first person animation, jumping off the roof top and your Titan grabbing you was cool as fuuuuuuck. Also things like Abbie Heppes voice counting down the timer until your Titan was ready, I loved that shit.

That's off the top of my head but if I think of more I'll add to it.

1. titan timer is an easy fix. they're listening, and i'm pretty sure the timer will come back.

2. i'd like the a.i to come back. this is probably one of the main concerns. we don't know as of yet how many modes will have a.i like titanfall 1. this is yet to be seen and a genuine concern. It's still funny though because the a.i was one of the most criticized elements of the original game at launch "the a.i sucks, i don't want to shoot a.i" etc

3. it's one of many modes i'm sure the game will have. they included it to actually balance and test it out. frankly, i never cared for hardpoint in the original titanfall and i probably won't care about it again here.

4. this could come down to map design, a genuine concern which i'll be interested to see how they address.

5. i think the shields will come back. i think they'll make the battery pack some other form of removing or adding shields.

6. don't really care about this either way but if i'd have to bet i'd say it will also come back.

Your complaints aren't the ones i was really questioning, i was questioning the people with contradictory complaints that flies in the face of how Titanall 1 actually played 90% of the time for most people.

nowai

Sometimes i think i live in a world where everyone is fucking crazy but me

Could not agree more.

Also, to the people complaining about "camping". You don't show up on radar if you don't shoot, so flank those people who are standing on top of a building wide open being easy targets. Use your movement abilities. Sprint, slide,wall run, double jump etc over and over. Don't just run head level straight at a person on the roof...of course you're going to get killed if you don't play smart...yeeeesh.

Killstreaks imply you lose the ability to call in a titan when you die. This is completely inaccurate. You can die as many times as you want without losing that built up meter, but your timer / meter builds faster the better you perform in game. Scrubs will still get a titan within a similar amount of time as the first game.

All of these posts where my views before playing the Technical test.

On the Rodeo changes after the Multiplayer trailer

Update:

I am on the fence with the changes to be honest. Rodeo is different. You land, remove battery, then auto kicked off. Option to jump back on, drop a nade in, then kicked off again. Rinse and repeat.

What I wanted from a sequel (after the teaser trailer)

So what would I like to see in the sequel?

- Maintain the balance - Don't, please, introduce too many additional weapons, perks, Titans. By all means have some alternatives, but we really do not need 6-8 different assault rifles, sniper rifles, smg's, etc.

- A phenomenal campaign... or none at all - Respawn created a fascinating environment with the bones of a great world. I'd love to see a 'proper' campaign within this world and these game mechanics. If they are unable to deliver a true single player experience, then please focus on the multi-player

- Titan Shotgun - Need I say any more?

- Titan Swords - Yeah, we are already getting that.

And well, that is about it. Really.

On the topic 'Titanfall, One Year On' (March 2015)

Eurogamer hit the nail on the head with this article, Titanfall: One year on.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-03-20-titanfall-one-year-on

One year on, though, this is still one of the most electric and compelling FPS games around and a far better experience now than when it launched. It might not have the retention rate of decade-long franchises, but Respawn has built something special here, and promises to do so again, this time with both major consoles to play with. Your Titan is ready.

That Eurogamer article says:

One of the game's true master strokes is the inclusion of the bot 'grunts' that populate each map. They serve multiple functions. They exist to give newer and lower-skilled players something to shoot, making them feel like they're part of the fight, and that they can still enjoy themselves even if they're not capable of doing damage to player-controlled Pilots. Intermediate players begin to ignore the grunts, knowing that Pilots offer more points in Attrition mode and more of an advantage in Objective games.

Those who are wily in the ways of the Titan, though, know that the grunts are vital. Take out a crew of five or six and you've scored more points than you would for a Pilot kill anyway, and you've knocked a significant amount of time off your Titan clock, meaning you're closer to your next, potentially game-changing Titanfall.

That Eurogamer article says it all for me.The sequel needed evolution and polish, not a revolution. The franchise was brand new. It wasn't like the 6th iteration of Titanfall on an annual franchise that needed mixing up.

Respawn haven't made these decisions for a laugh. Something has lead them to make these changes. That could be feedback, technical limitations, or a bit of both.

Think of it like Halo 3 to Halo 4. This is not a bad game. This is just not what the Titanfall is (or was.

Thank god Respawn gave into pressure and dumped a ton of resources into single player. Relatively small team now taking their focus and resources away from what made TF great. I can see this game being a hot mess design and content wise.

People are really overeating. As a huge fan of Titanfall 1 PC, I really enjoyed my time with Titanfall 2. They just need to tweak the speed a little bit.

Shikoba

Honestly, to everyone complaining- Why? Where have you been? Where has your Titanfall 1 love been since TF1 launched? Literally a month or two after it's launch the game was dead online. Millions of sales- about 9-10k online total when combining both pc and xbox. I know because I owned both. Hell they even gave TF dlc away for free on pc- still no one online. And yet, you are all surprised when TF2 comes along and changes things up? I gaurentee 90% of the people upset by TF2 right now are people that haven't touched TF1 in forever.

It isn't surprising at all that they changed the game up. I'm not saying TF1 was bad, I loved it too, but to expect the same game seems beyond silly when no one played it.

So far I enjoyed my time with TF2. No one bothers to mention how smooth the gameplay is, or how great it looks on console. I've been impressed overall. Am I happy about the lack of titan customization? Slower movements? Not really, but it's still fun to play and I'm glad TF is getting another shot. To each their own.

The3rdBozon

Neo Member
Personal opinion, but couldn't disagree more. Game is polished and super rewarding to play.

I'll judge the final list of weapons/maps/modes when it launches.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
1. titan timer is an easy fix. they're listening, and i'm pretty sure the timer will come back.

2. i'd like the a.i to come back. this is probably one of the main concerns. we don't know as of yet how many modes will have a.i like titanfall 1. this is yet to be seen and a genuine concern. It's still funny though because the a.i was one of the most criticized elements of the original game at launch "the a.i sucks, i don't want to shoot a.i" etc

3. it's one of many modes i'm sure the game will have. they included it to actually balance and test it out. frankly, i never cared for hardpoint in the original titanfall and i probably won't care about it again here.

4. this could come down to map design, a genuine concern which i'll be interested to see how they address.

5. i think the shields will come back. i think they'll make the battery pack some other form of removing or adding shields.

6. don't really care about this either way but if i'd have to bet i'd say it will also come back.

Your complaints aren't the ones i was really questioning, i was questioning the people with contradictory complaints that flies in the face of how Titanall 1 actually played 90% of the time for most people.

I'm very interested to see what Respawn do or even what they can do. Hell for all we know they could sell millions from folks who just enjoyed the technical test as is :p

You're telling me people parkoured and played freely in attrition with a timer you could wait out and a.i you could quietly farm with a silenced carbine?

Reality isn't checking out here. I've dropped an unhealthy amount of hours into the original game and Attrition isn't the greatest mode. I'm not saying they shouldn't change it, i think they should, but the reasons given are contradictory.

You are talking about two different games at the same time it seems, the focus is on TF2 mechanics. The whole camping mentality is enforced by the low TTK, going out and running around, parkouring it up just makes you a target. Those who are camping are encouraged too, and they are getting rewarded with more kills, more Titan spawns.

On a timer, players weren't focused merely on camping to get kills, players were more active because they wanted to score kills against AI and other players to increase their Titan timer, being stationary in TF1 did not reward you. In TF2, players are rewarded by being stationary, being more camping in gameplay style, which overall all pushes the slower game play feel of the game. Shitty maps don't help obviously, but so much of TF2 weekend just seems like your average shooter, folks taking cover and popping shots at each other from roofs, engagement ranges in general have increased while in TF1, you were constantly in each others faces blasting away.

Now with low TTK, being caught in the open doing parkour, you are often screwed and gonna die before you can bail out for cover, while before we had more speed making us harder to hit, and more chances to hide ourselves. Instead now you pop up, you get sniped, which was rare in TF1.

Why are players gonna waste time doing all the fancy parkour and fun stuff with the movement system when you are rewarded for camping with quicker Titan summons?

SwolBro

Banned
People are really overeating. As a huge fan of Titanfall 1 PC, I really enjoyed my time with Titanfall 2. They just need to tweak the speed a little bit.
this is the exact sentiment i get from every Titanfall 1 regular that still plays the game today. Practically everyone involved in Titanfall 1 pugs currently share the same opinion. To me that's a good sign.

I knew that my statement was anecdotal, but it wasn't difficult to take down a Titan - just required a bit of thought. It was not a simple rodeo. A simple rodeo is what we have now - everything is a canned animation. Titans should inherently have a shield; it opens up the potential options and improves survivability - batteries, while possibly good in theory, are not fun in execution.

I am interested in seeing what the other Titans are, but the lack of customization sucks. Would prefer to use custom weapons, AI voice, abilities and frames. Not a fan of the "hero" system they have for Titans now.

Agree to disagree as far as the Titan vs. Pilot debate goes thus far. I can see how people have differing opinions on this as it really does depend on so many factors. As far as the battery system goes I personally prefer this as i've found it adds a lot of fun gameplay moments and strategies in execution.

Do we know for certain that the options and set-up in the tech test are representative of the final game? Has Respawn or anyone commented on that? I wonder what the "plan" is for Titan customization. The entire Pilot and Titan customization process could have been streamlined for testing. Curious to see how that pans. I do prefer the "hero titan" system where you can look at an enemy titan and know what move set it has and how to combat it etc. The silhouette mechanic where everyone knows whats going on just by looking at a player's visual is appealing to me in competitive shooters.

I pre-ordered it, I know some people came from TF1 and BLOPS3 and got their ass handed to them and didn't like it but I really enjoyed it, fast responsive fun gameplay which is the opposite of what those people are saying .
I haven't played TF1 but from the gameplay videos it doesn't look any different.

It doesn't have anything to do with getting your ass handed to yourself. I was smacking folks around, but it wasn't better than the original. It's better than CoD, but also too much like it for me.

If you haven't played titanfall, you really wouldn't get it, you have to feel the difference imo.

In regards to Respawn fixing it, unless they can "tweak" much of the core gameplay and/or the rest of the maps are much better, this was a poor showing.

Pretty much how I feel. If it's good come release, opinions will change. As it stands, it's not where it needs to be. Random other gamers on the thread saying there will be fixes doesn't help that nor can they guarantee it.

Read below. How can people complain (in the same post) that the game is too easy with low TTK, camping, and then complain about having to do work to get your Titan instead of waiting for a timer? Shit like that doesn't make sense when you can obtain your titan insanely fast by only being remotely competent in the game?

I kind of realized the same thing while reading through this thread. I get the fact that the game is called Titanfall, it should be about Titans. However, the game was always advertised as a fps first and foremost, the Titan is the goal, the cherry on top. Therefore it should be treated as a goal you have to work for, and practicing and garnering skill how you achieve that goal.

Sidetracked: There's definitely not a lot of camping going on in this game, or at least it doesn't give you much advantage. It's so easy to realize where someone is shooting from, and then flanking the hell out of them. The choke points/areas of battle are always changing for this reason, and I think that's good design.

SwolBro

Banned
You are talking about two different games at the same time it seems, the focus is on TF2 mechanics. The whole camping mentality is enforced by the low TTK, going out and running around, parkouring it up just makes you a target. Those who are camping are encouraged too, and they are getting rewarded with more kills, more Titan spawns.

On a timer, players weren't focused merely on camping to get kills, players were more active because they wanted to score kills against AI and other players to increase their Titan timer, being stationary in TF1 did not reward you. In TF2, players are rewarded by being stationary, being more camping in gameplay style, which overall all pushes the slower game play feel of the game. Shitty maps don't help obviously, but so much of TF2 weekend just seems like your average shooter, folks taking cover and popping shots at each other from roofs, engagement ranges in general have increased while in TF1, you were constantly in each others faces blasting away.

Now with low TTK, being caught in the open doing parkour, you are often screwed and gonna die before you can bail out for cover, while before we had more speed making us harder to hit, and more chances to hide ourselves. Instead now you pop up, you get sniped, which was rare in TF1.

Why are players gonna waste time doing all the fancy parkour and fun stuff with the movement system when you are rewarded for camping with quicker Titan summons?

I'm not totally disagreeing with you but i don't think this has much to do with the timer. It mainly, like you mentioned, down to the maps being kind of shit and the spawns being a total disaster that promotes camping and spawn trapping.

TTK feels lower for other reasons such as amped weapons being available to everyone, and you glowing bright fucking red (which they better change). lets also remember that ping times were pretty low now for a lot of people.

You could drop people in titanfall 1 relatively fast, especially if someone drops a chaingun titan and sits in the back of a map. ya know? your abilities not replenishing fast enough also has a lot to do with it and is one of the thigns most good players are complaining about (you can't pop stim as frequent to get out of crazy situations or to turn on someone that got the first shot in)

Dysun

Played it for a little, the tech test put me off buying the full game. Sticking with BF1 and maybe MW:R just became alot easier

I'm not totally disagreeing with you but i don't think this has much to do with the timer. It mainly, like you mentioned, down to the maps being kind of shit and the spawns being a total disaster that promotes camping and spawn trapping.

TTK feels lower for other reasons such as amped weapons being available to everyone, and you glowing bright fucking red (which they better change). lets also remember that ping times were pretty low now for a lot of people.

You could drop people in titanfall 1 relatively fast, especially if someone drops a chaingun titan and sits in the back of a map. ya know? your abilities not replenishing fast enough also has a lot to do with it and is one of the thigns most good players are complaining about (you can't pop stim as frequent to get out of crazy situations or to turn on someone that got the first shot in)

This. The maps shown so far are not anywhere as good as TF1 maps. Everything is a little too open or sometimes too congested in small areas with random "shit" in the way. Amped weapons as a bonus really ups the damage and the dumb glowing player outline makes everyone stick out like a sore thumb where in TF1 you would sometimes blend in with the AI to enemy players. That needs to go.

As one of TF1s biggest advocates, I am profoundly disappointed with the changes Respawn has made to the core gameplay loop. Especially with how both pilot and Titan capabilities have been neutered.

KingV

Overblown hate is just ridiculous. A lot of those things you complain about can be fixed easily. You don't know if they'll have attrition, you don't know if they'll have more bots in the other modes, this is all speculation.

You played a tech test for christ sakes.

The constant "tech test" sounds like the people talking about how much more the full version of Destiny would have.

Edit: biggest changes for me are the lack of AI and the lack of the timer. Timer was great because everyone could get a Titan. So when the other team was just stomping you with 5 or 6 Titans, theoretically you're team could knock out AI, and wait for a few minutes and make a push yourself By dropping four or 5 Titans in response. In the new version, I have been on both sides of matches where one team gets fully Titaned up, and the other team just has zero chance, because they are getting straight up dominated. It becomes so hard to earn a Titan that by the time you drop a few the other team hits every one with a Lazer blast off the jump.

I like how the old version allowed you to contribute even if you sucked pilot v pilot. The new one does not.

Top Bottom