• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 is depressingly disappointing....

3- No AI (outside of Bounty Hunter): The feature that made Titanfall unique is gone from all modes except Bounty Hunter which is a poorly designed mode.

5- No titan timer: You get your Titan from a killstreak

6- Killstreak: WTF are you doing Respawn?

Fuck that, im out.

Most of you are forgetting this.

Most of us have heard this over and over again with other alphas/betas, etc which launch soon.

The claims that his is alpha tech test is bullshit, they would not be testing an alpha build for a game that is only a few weeks away from going gold.

hoyalawya

The good thing about Titanfall 2 is that I can get my life back. I am addicted to Titanfall 1 and have been playing 2+ hours per day since it came out. I am somewhat relief that the new game is not as good as the old one. Otherwise, I would have to waste my vacation time and spend countless sleepless nights playing the new one.

E92 M3

Sometimes i think i live in a world where everyone is fucking crazy but me

• The gunplay is still the best you can find in any shooter
  • The speed of the game is still there, when 99% of the original Titanfall population didn't know how to parkour or bhop properly how are so many people complaining about the movement in this game?
  • Attrition was a shit mode in the original game with a majority of those players, even the veterans not playing it at a very high level, CTF and LTS is where the good players went to play
  • A good player in the original Titanfall could get in a titan and completely wipe out an entire team, people complained about how dominating a titan was in the first game but now are complaining about how weak they are now?

There's definitely things here they need to fix like

• Lack of custom titan load outs
  • Bright glow around players
  • Maps being a bit too open
  • Tacticals being slow to replenish

But the doom and gloom is blown way out of proportion

A good player or team will destroy people in this game too. The whole "a good player" scenario is not a solid argument. "A good player" will win in any game.

SwolBro

Banned
Most of us have heard this over and over again with other alphas/betas, etc which launch soon.

The claims that his is alpha tech test is bullshit, they would not be testing an alpha build for a game that is only a few weeks away from going gold.

Yes but they've already stated that this build was branched off in june and a lot of the meta has changed. Not to mention the complaints contradict themselves like those that mention these complaints all together

• Too much camping
  • No titan timer
  • Too easy to kill people

How can someone honestly complain about all three? if you're good at killing, if things are easier than the titan timer shouldn't be an issue. No good player ever said "wow the timer saved me" no because they'd get their titans way before anyone else in Titanfall 1. Killing other pilots was the fastest way to get your Titan dropped. The timer was there to help bad players. It's a contradiction to complain about all 3

Sometimes i think i live in a world where everyone is fucking crazy but me

• The gunplay is still the best you can find in any shooter
  • The speed of the game is still there, when 99% of the original Titanfall population didn't know how to parkour or bhop properly how are so many people complaining about the movement in this game?
  • Attrition was a shit mode in the original game with a majority of those players, even the veterans not playing it at a very high level, CTF and LTS is where the good players went to play
  • A good player in the original Titanfall could get in a titan and completely wipe out an entire team, people complained about how dominating a titan was in the first game but now are complaining about how weak they are now?

There's definitely things here they need to fix like

• Lack of custom titan load outs
  • Bright glow around players
  • Maps being a bit too open
  • Tacticals being slow to replenish

But the doom and gloom is blown way out of proportion

Completely fucking agree 100%. I started to think i was nuts but I really think people just started to latch onto the negative comment bandwagon and decided to "me too".

SwolBro

Banned
Completely fucking agree 100%. I started to think i was nuts but I really think people just started to latch onto the negative comment bandwagon and decided to "me too".

Yes, the bandwagon jumping in the gaming community is staggering. My initial first impressions weren't great, they did change some stuff that has me baffled, but i still think there's an amazing game there underneath. With the proper changes they can achieve it.

Just watching the snowball roll though is amazing to witness.

A good player or team will destroy people in this game too. The whole "a good player" scenario is not a solid argument. "A good player" will win in any game.

Personally I completely disagree. Titans in TF1 were a little too powerful. Titans in TF2 feel more balanced and it's not as easy to tank the entire match in a single Titan like it was in TF1. I think the balance of Pilot vs Titan surviveability/leathality is much better in TF2.

iFirez

I haven't played the tech test, nor am I a big fan of multiplayer games. I did enjoy the time I spent with TF1 though and this is super disappointing to hear about.

The fact that they've changed to a killstreak focused rewards system for the titan means I will never have a titan in multiplayer and the main draw of the original is completely gone for me.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member

Yes, the bandwagon jumping in the gaming community is staggering. My initial first impressions weren't great, they did change some stuff that has me baffled, but i still think there's an amazing game there underneath. With the proper changes they can achieve it.

Just watching the snowball roll though is amazing to witness.

Fuck off with that shit. People have genuine concerns about the game and have listed them in the Titanfall 2 threads many times, guess what they don't agree with you!

Just attributing it to bandwagoning is the laziest fucking thing just because you don't agree.

pompidu

I had fun playing the first one at a friend's house, had a great foundation for a great sequel. That said.... Adding in killstreaks is dumb. Getting kills for Titan drop is dumb. Looking at the maps in all the streams, all looked terrible.

Who ever is the game director for this game is way off the mark. Gonna be a poor first showing on ps4.

SwolBro

Banned
Fuck off with that shit. People have genuine concerns about the game and have listed them in the Titanfall 2 threads many times, guess what they don't agree with you!

Just attributing it to bandwagoning is the laziest fucking thing.

And i've addressed every concern over there in bullet point style, so how about you fuck off and actually come at me with some counter points instead of being lazy? eh?

I have my concerns with the game, what i pointed out was the obvious contradictions in some peoples complaints that don't make any fucking sense.

And i've addressed every concern over there in bullet point style, so how about you fuck off and actually come at me with some counter points instead of being lazy? eh?

I have my concerns with the game, what i pointed out was the obvious contradictions in some peoples complaints that don't make any fucking sense.

You're taking this rather personally.

Yes but they've already stated that this build was branched off in june and a lot of the meta has changed. Not to mention the complaints contradict themselves like those that mention these complaints all together

• Too much camping
  • No titan timer
  • Too easy to kill people

How can someone honestly complain about all three? if you're good at killing, if things are easier than the titan timer shouldn't be an issue. No good player ever said "wow the timer saved me" no because they'd get their titans way before anyone else in Titanfall 1. Killing other pilots was the fastest way to get your Titan dropped. The timer was there to help bad players. It's a contradiction to complain about all 3

No it's not a contradiction, all those things contribute to why the game plays differently.

It's so easy to kill people, which promotes camping. Making titans a kill streak like reward, forces you to essentially play it like a standard camping heavy shooter.

All things that make it play not like the Titanfall we love

E92 M3

Personally I completely disagree. Titans in TF1 were a little too powerful. Titans in TF2 feel more balanced and it's not as easy to tank the entire match in a single Titan like it was in TF1. I think the balance of Pilot vs Titan surviveability/leathality is much better in TF2.

No they weren't - I consistently had the most Titan kills on my team. It was all about making smart plays. Titans in TF2 are completely disposable, and the battery mechanic is not exciting. Titans feel inferior to Pilots when they should be equally satisfying.

SwolBro

Banned
No it's not a contradiction, all those things contribute to why the game plays differently.

It's so easy to kill people, which promotes camping. Making titans a kill streak like reward, forces you to essentially play it like a standard camping heavy shooter.

All things that make it play not like the Titanfall we love

You're telling me people parkoured and played freely in attrition with a timer you could wait out and a.i you could quietly farm with a silenced carbine?

Reality isn't checking out here. I've dropped an unhealthy amount of hours into the original game and Attrition isn't the greatest mode. I'm not saying they shouldn't change it, i think they should, but the reasons given are contradictory.

Genio88

I'm also pretty disappointed from what i played in this beta, game feels slower and with less action than the first one, which i loved, maps are too big, it's difficult to find enemies and you have to wait too long to summon your Titan, i hope it was just a bad choice of map and kind of match for this beta, cause i still wanna trust Respown, also this time they have a single player campaign which i want to try

zonezeus

Just attributing it to bandwagoning is the laziest fucking thing.

Spot on. I actually think that the game could quite easily be salvaged by raising TTK and adding titan timer, but people are genuienly concerned about the quality of the final game and they're voicing their opinions, that's what open beta tests (lol alpha two months before release) are for.

Gator86

anyone who is just trying to say this is a demo/technical test and it will change dont realize that there is no way for them to make massive improvements before the game is launched in a few months. What people are playing now will most likely be home the game is at launch. I really hope I am wrong but im not getting my hopes up

People do this every time. Bad beta, argue there's still plenty of time before launch to adjust the game, game launches identically to the beta, people slink away into the night. Chances are, the beta is exactly what we're getting at release maybe with tweaked titan timers and one or two other fixes.

Apples_89

I mentioned this in the impressions thread, but does anyone else think it's completely immersion breaking that the camera goes 3rd person when your pilot enters the Titan? The first person prespective from 1 feels so good, I have no idea why they would change that!

SwolBro

Banned
I'm also pretty disappointed from what i played in this beta, game feels slower and with less action than the first one, which i loved, maps are too big, it's difficult to find enemies and you have to wait too long to summon your Titan, i hope it was just a bad choice of map and kind of match for this beta, cause i still wanna trust Respown, also this time they have a single player campaign which i want to try

These complaints were aimed at the first game as well. People got bored farming bots because they thought the maps were too big and the players hard to find where in reality, people that stuck with the game, learned the mechanics, and traversed around the maps at insane speeds would tell you the maps were not too big and it was very easy to find pilots.

Fluvian

Banned
My favourite streamer played it for like 15 minutes, said fuck it and started playing beyond good and evil, so disappointing.

I liked the Test, but I mainly stuck with Pilot v. Pilot. The bounty gametype was decent, but the Titans didn't do much for me. Luckily I'm a team deathmatch dude through and through, I get that it's not the most interesting gametype but I've always liked it because of it's simplicity. I found it to be pretty awesome here and I think the maps/mobility are fine. I played the first Titanfall and liked it a lot, but honestly I think 2 is going to edge it out in the end. I think they have enough time to fix a lot of people's issues, and I believe people need to wait it out and see what the final game brings.

It seems the weapons are going to be way better/varied, and I like their "perk" system, I just hope there are enough options to keep it interesting. I never liked burn cards from the first game, it felt like a chore and didn't make me feel like I was "customizing" myself, more just choosing random (mostly) uninteresting temporary advantages.

Stim is awesome, Holo is fun, the grapple is near game changing. The gameplay itself is more fun to me, the duck/slide is way better than the first and helps supplement crazy chains of acrobatically attacking/evading. I realize there aren't as many walls to jump on in these maps and I understand that concern, but I think T2 just has more variation in that regard. There are some more open areas, some tight areas, and kind of everything in between.

Excuse me for the suggested foresight, but I think people are going to warm up to this game.

Kill times though...definitely too low, Respawn.

Paasei

I already had the same feeling with the first one. I never saw the appeal of this game, and this new demo (beta lol) didn't change that for me.

I mentioned this in the impressions thread, but does anyone else think it's completely immersion breaking that the camera goes 3rd person when your pilot enters the Titan? The first person prespective from 1 feels so good, I have no idea why they would change that!
3rd person cameras ruin the mood and feeling of scale for the titans so yes I dislike it

something about players able to play as a giant robots and begin able jump/swing in MP games doesn't do well with me ....gets old fast

they should go back to basic with good weapon balance and great map design ....none of that fancy shit

zeelman

These complaints were aimed at the first game as well. People got bored farming bots because they thought the maps were too big and the players hard to find where in reality, people that stuck with the game, learned the mechanics, and traversed around the maps at insane speeds would tell you the maps were not too big and it was very easy to find pilots.

Not really, the maps in the first game had great map flow from the get go. The two maps in this trial do not, especially Boom Town.

Ennosuke

I love the first game. From a sequel I would expect better graphics, more and new maps, new titans and weapons and finally a SP camp. But those changes sound like a huge deal to me.

Played a few matches on Saturday for like 30-45 mins. After I was done, didn't feel like picking up the game at all again. Whereas TF1 I was always looking to get back into the game. First weekend of launch I reached maxed level and re-upped.

I had no urge to go back and play this after my first session. Will most likely be skipping this game, such a shame.

The tech test was disappointing, but it's too early to damn the entire final game.

Precisely

If anything, TF1 isn't gonna just disappear and if players flock back to it, Respawn will have to do something about it.

And we still have the Singleplayer to look forward to....

Two things I want to see improved:

1. The rodeo mechanic feels incredibly meh. They should make it an actual gameplay moment instead of simply jumping or grappling on and watching a scripted event.

2. The banks in bounty hunt should change locations or even better make them mobile bots that constantly walk around the map and never stop even during deposit. Fixed locations are so boring and just make players go camping around them once the waves are about to end.

Are these crappy changes confirmed for the final release (ie no Attrition? What!?)? Or are they part of the fact that its a beta test?

The titans not being on a timer is a real deal-breaker for me.

Gator86

Well, since SwolBro addressed the concerns, I guess everyone else's opinion is invalid. Titanfall 2 GOTY confirmed. None of the responses I've seen make me any more excited for the game now that I've played the beta.

SwolBro

Banned
Not really, the maps in the first game had great map flow from the get go. The two maps in this trial do not, especially Boom Town.

won't disagree that the maps in the original titanfall beta were way better than these two but the complaints were there during the initial launch of the game. look at reddit during that time, and i'm sure if you search here you'll see it.

people couldn't "find' other pilots for long stretches of time and thought the maps were too big.

Well, since SwolBro addressed the concerns, I guess everyone else's opinion is invalid. Titanfall 2 GOTY confirmed. None of the responses I've seen make me any more excited for the game now that I've played the beta.

Never said that but when the complaints contradict themselves, and don't mesh with the reality of the original game... gotta question the validity of some of them

Just attributing it to bandwagoning is the laziest fucking thing just because you don't agree.

How is that lazy? My opinion that the "me-too" internet forum culture is indeed resulting in a large portion of the negative TF 2 shit we're seeing across the web is not lazy. I personally think that's a very likely scenario based on all that i've played with other veteran TF1 players. But in the end it's just an opinion. Your comment is nonsensical... at the very best.

No they weren't - I consistently had the most Titan kills on my team. It was all about making smart plays. Titans in TF2 are completely disposable, and the battery mechanic is not exciting. Titans feel inferior to Pilots when they should be equally satisfying.

Now you're correlating skill to game mechanics and balancing. Why do you think the titans in TF2 are "completely disposable" and how does that differ from how you see them in TF1? Why don't you think the battery mechanic works? I personally think it adds much more strategy than simply doing a rodeo and ending a titan. Could it be you're just not enjoying these two Titans and maybe some of the other Titans will be less disposable?

RoKKeR

Agreed, unfortunately. Took me a while to realize that something was off, but it is a notable step back from the first game in many departments.

Won't be picking it up for quite some time.

Top Bottom