• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 is depressingly disappointing....

danmaku

It sounds like they wanted T2 to be more accessible so they tweaked to game to be more similar to other famous shooters. Too bad accessibility was never a problem for T1 (it won a ton of press prizes before release because it was super easy to pick up and play), player retention was the problem.

antitrop

You can't really blame them. Titanfall was the poster child for "man this game is great but it'll never get a sequel" and that genuinely sucked. Then out of the blue an announcement is made and holy shit, get hype for mech combat once again! Now it's coming out that this is nothing like Titanfall in the worst ways. Hope to crushing blow.
What? Why would you ever have thought Titanfall wasn't getting a sequel?

Fracas

#fuckonami
Not to discredit anyone's opinion, but did anyone really expect this to be identical to the first game? While it did sell well, the original Titanfall lost the vast majority of its player count almost instantly. Why on earth would they play this safe when the people talking about how great the first was stopped playing after like, a week?

This isn't to take away from the disappointment, but I feel the thread title is mis-labled. We played a pre-alpha tech test, not the final game, so it's only fair to wait and see on some fronts before saying definitively "Titanfall 2" is a disappointment. Still time to make some changes, I'd wager.

I mean, three MP modes and two maps is hardly fair. Do we not remember Doom? This game has a supposedly story-heavy SP mode, plus more MP modes/maps. Again, I agree with the disappointment, but I think the thread is mis-labeled.

As for me, Attrition and Titan timers are really all I hope they add, because even as a newbie, I can see just how much more interesting and fun the game would be with those.

I enjoyed it, I don't really get the disappointment. I loved the first too. The grapple is awesome but I do think it's needs some fine tuning.

gcubed

Not to discredit anyone's opinion, but did anyone really expect this to be identical to the first game? While it did sell well, the original Titanfall lost the vast majority of its player count almost instantly. Why on earth would they play this safe when the people talking about how great the first was stopped playing after like, a week?

isn't playing it safe just turning it into Shooter #74?

Glowsquid

Because, beside the occassional complaint about the bots, the overwhelming majority of the complaints about TF1 were the "lack" of guns/unlocks/maps, etc, and the absence of singple player. Not the core gameplay.

Courage

But turning it more similar to COD and launching between BF1 and IW will surely maintain player count.

Pwnedkiller

Neo Member
Yeah I was somewhat disappointed with it, I did not get the same feel as I got from Titanfall 1. This will be a game I get when it is on sale.

Game feels like shit, to put it bluntly.

Never played the first one so I was expecting a sharp, fluid movement system. Instead it was sluggish and laggy.

I don't think the actual gameplay was much of a factor in why Titanfall lost players, though. From what i remember the main complaints at launch were a lack of maps and the campaign.

Kill3r7

Agreed with the gist of your statement. However, you have it backwards the people who are complaining, for the most part, are the ones who stuck around after the exodus.

What? Why would you ever have thought Titanfall wasn't getting a sequel?

MP base dropped like a stone, and then whoever still stuck it out was left segregated based on what DLC you wanted to play. I think PC held out the longest. It felt like Titanfall was a really solid entry for a new studio that might work on something else.

This isn't to take away from the disappointment, but I feel the thread title is mis-labled. We played a pre-alpha tech test, not the final game, so it's only fair to wait and see on some fronts before saying definitively "Titanfall 2" is a disappointment. Still time to make some changes, I'd wager.

Dude, the game is out in two months. There's no "pre-alpha" to this test.

ryseing

Recharging titan shields are out, right?

I played ~10 hours of the first one on my brother's Xbone and really appreciated the push/pull dynamic that the recharging shields added. Sad to hear that there's other negative changes as well. No Titan timer is an absolutely moronic idea.

After playing more matches over the weekend, they really need to bring back the Titan timer. It was awesome hearing the NPC over the radio tell you your titan was ready.

xviper

-They ruined the Rodeo system

-Maps are beyond horrible

-no AI, which is very important in TF because it helps you get your titan faster and makes you complete challenges easier to level up

-no timer for Titans, so you don't wait you have to kill someone to make you titan come, kinda like killstreak

-Can't change the weapons of the titan, so each titan can only use 1 weapon

-no Attrition mode

-Titans gameplay completely ruined and unsatasfying

-Grapple hook is one of the worst ideas they have added in the game, and they haven't even done it right

-TTK is now like COD

-LAG

-they removed the normal XP leveling up system and added a system where you level up based on points you get by winning or completing challenges, for example, to level up from 7 to 8 you need 15 points

this is coming from someone who bought Xbox one ONLY for Titanfall 1, reached generation 10( prestige) in the first 2 weeks of the game's release, and did not regret buying an xbox one for a MP game that lacked on content because it was FANTASTIC, all they had to do for the sequel is absolutely change nothing from the first game and instead just add more weapons, items, maps, titans and we would have got ourself a Uncharted 2\Assassin's creed 2, but instead they took the first game and completely trashed it

i doubt we will see Titanfall 3 when TF2 fails, not only the game is a major step down from what was a masterpiece in my opinion who got hated so much for being an exclusive, they also are releasing the sequel to it 1 week after BF1 and 1 week before COD:IW, EA just signed Titanfall's death certificate

Chris1

There's still 6k~ people on XB1 version concurrently.

And if this is their plan to get better player longevity then good luck to Respawn. They will lose their playerbase to CoD a week later and the hardcore Titanfall fans won't be around to keep it populated this time around.

But anyways, Titanfalls longevity problems came from lack of content, not the core gameplay.

E92 M3

I agree with the movement being slower I wouldn't mind going back to faster movement and momentum like Titanfall 1.

I hope they don't listen to the babies crying about putting Titans back on a timer. I don't like that they gifted you a Titan in Titanfall.

Titans are powerful and should be earned. I got like 4-6 a game In the new mode with AI they aren't hard to get get. Hardpoint was a not balanced properly for Titan build time so that will be fixed next week according to a Dev who posted here.

Complaining about the maps I understand but we have only seen two maps and while I didn't enjoy the open field map the boomtown one was alright. Hopefully they have some maps similar to the original cuz I miss the verticality.

Very dumb logic - Titans are (were?) a fundamental part of the gameplay experience. Pilot and Titan were equal in importance. Unfortunately, complaints from cry baby CoD players ruined an important aspect of TF2.

By no means are Titans supposed to be "rewards." Every player is entitled to a Titan.

The End

Loved TF1 on PC.

Wanted TF2 on PS4 with more titans, more maps, and an SP campaign.

Got... CoD with mechs?

Played an hour or so of Bounty Hunt on friday night. Will try it again this weekend, but if my second impressions match my first I might as well just get IW and play actual Call of Duty.

KJRS_1993

I was also horribly disappointed by the tech test. It feels so much like they took everything unique and exciting about the original, and chose to just chuck it away rather than refine and perfect it. A Titanfall map set in an empty field? Really?

With the originals unique playstyle gone, it feels like we're now left with a game that sits directly alongside Black Ops III. Which isn't a bad thing necessarily, it's just I've already played that game - and I'm not excited about buying a game that will just imitate it.

I'm open to seeing how things have changed in the final boxed product, but I'm not buying this on release until I know for sure.

nowai

If Titans now require "killstreaks" to be called in, my hype has officially and thoroughly been dampened. Respawn pls

Not killstreaks. You can die as much as you want, it won't stop progress toward a titan.

Titans function similar to supers in Destiny. If you are good, you DO get it more often as in Destiny, but even the worst players will get a titan at least once in a match.

Very welcome change IMO. I enjoyed the test, but it seems people like killing bots and a guaranteed titan. PvE vs PvP I guess. Glad they are including a single player for you folks that enjoy a more PvE experience.

For a long time, people wanted a pilot vs pilot mode. I'm not seeing the problem?

A mode very few even played after it was added. The player base didn't like pilot vs pilot, but again they are listening to whiners who didn't even play the original.

Not killstreaks. You can die as much as you want, it won't stop progress toward a titan.

Titans function similar to supers in Destiny. If you are good, you DO get it more often as in Destiny, but even the worst players will get a titan at least once in a match.

Very welcome change IMO. I enjoyed the test, but it seems people like killing bots and a guaranteed titan. PvE vs PvP I guess. Glad they are including a single player for you folks that enjoy a more PvE experience.

Game is all about the Titans, and when you are getting only one Titan a match, it's no fun. Also majority of matches, there is no Titan even on the field, since they really screwed up Titan gameplay, and they kinda suck.

Titans in TF1 were plentiful, powerful, fun. In 2, Titans are more rare, and they are just giant targets that get taken down way too easy. It's pretty much all about pilot vs pilot play now, again a mode which original fans hated.

Take away what makes TF unique and turn it into another death match like shooter, what a waste

Chris1

MP base dropped like a stone, and then whoever still stuck it out was left segregated based on what DLC you wanted to play. I think PC held out the longest. It felt like Titanfall was a really solid entry for a new studio that might work on something else.
Huh?

PC was dead basically as soon as it came out. Xbox version held on strong and still has 5-6k concurrent players online these days.

Kinyou

I wonder if there's a chance that they'll delay it. The game's release date is in a rough spot anyway with being that close to Battlefield and Call of Duty. An early 2017 release would make sense and also give time to address the issues

Chris1

Really? I remember still getting into matches well into the life of the PC version. Like I said, "I think."

You can still get into matches on PC now. As far as I'm aware you've never not been able to get into a game on any platform (not sure about 360 now?). If getting into a match constitutes it being alive then it's been alive since day 1 and still going strong. I assumed by dead you meant barely anyone playing, not literally dead.

PC had 1k players on yday, but before the tech test it was at around 300 I believe. (I don't play on PC I'm just going off what others said in the impression topic)

i spent well over a hundred dollars on the first titan fall. I put more then 200 hours into the original.
I played the sequel this weekend for over an hour.

I just cannot get into this one. I'm not a fan of it. It doesn't feel like Titanfall anymore.

And where the hell are the titans lol

wbarreda

I just don't know what happen. They made a game that has these movement options then added a game mode that encourages you to camp.

Some more random questions

Why did they get ride of the burn cards? They could rewarded random cards mid match if they wanted to have in game rewards base on score/kills.
Why do I have to chose between a side arm and an anti-Titan weapon?
Why is the hook optional when it looks like they designed maps around its use?

My impressions from the test were not good. If this is the game respawn wants to make then I guess I will pass.

Huh?

PC was dead basically as soon as it came out. Xbox version held on strong and still has 5-6k concurrent players online these days.

That's BS, game was doing well for itself until the DLC hit on PC. Game had plentiful player base for all modes at launch, was around 10k+ normally, but it quickly dwindled with the first DLC and dropped like a brick afterwards.

BigDug13

Making it like other shooters is the very definition of playing it safe. Expanding on what made TF1 unique would actually be not playing it safe. You seem to have your definition of playing it safe backward.

Tuck

There was a Titanfall 2?

Wat

I.. guess I just forgot it even existed. Theres no way I couldnt have known :O

EDIT: Ohh it hasnt come out yet. Ok that makes more sense.

People who rehash the "population count dropped" seem to be really unaware of how little content was available at launch for TF1.

There was little stuff to unlock, no horde mode, not many weapons or customization.

The idea that they needed to make some of the more drastic changes like removing regenerating shields in the name of "Moar Players" laughable.

Chris1

That's BS, game was doing well for itself until the DLC hit on PC. Game had plentiful player base for all modes at launch, was around 10k+ normally, but it quickly dwindled with the first DLC and dropped like a brick afterwards.
To be honest I don't play on PC so maybe I shouldn't be talking LOL, I just remember people saying they were having trouble getting into games like a month after release on PC so uninstalled it but I guess they were just having network/region issues then or hyperbole?

Apologies if I'm misinformed

Gameplay wise Titanfall 1 was really good IMHO. Sure, there were some things that could be improved, but I think that they went the wrong direction on their attempt to improve the series. Although Titanfall 2 is still fun, it's just not the sequel I was expecting. Probably newcomers will enjoy it more than original players (?)

This feels more a revolution than an evolution, which is what I've would expected after the success of the first game.

E92 M3

LMAO! "Titans SHOULDN'T be earned"

Spoken like someone who can't get on a streak.

Spoken like some that doesn't know what Titanfall is about. I got 20+ kills on my very first match of the tech test, and played a ton of TF1. Titans should never be "earned" - they are a FUNDAMENTAL part of the game.

THEY ARE JUST AS IMPORTANT AS THE PILOTS.

Titanfall 1 launched with a lack of content, and unfortunately, most people love chasing carrots instead of just playing the game - that's why the population dropped. All they had to do was take the core gameplay and just add "stuff."

SwolBro

Banned
How can such a sure thing become this disappointing? I don't remember being disappointed in a sequel as much as this one. It almost threw everything that made the first game interesting and great and made COD clone.

Here's just some of the things they got wrong:

1- Player movement isn't as smooth as the prequel.

2-Maps are terrible. Almost no thought went into making them. TF1 maps were made with pilots movement/parkour in mind but this one seems like maps from COD or BF.

3- No AI (outside of Bounty Hunter): The feature that made Titanfall unique is gone from all modes except Bounty Hunter which is a poorly designed mode.

4- No Attrition: The most popular mode in TF1 is gone.

5- No titan timer: You get your Titan from a killstreak

6- Killstreak: WTF are you doing Respawn?

I read somewhere that TF1 feels like a sequel to this game and I totally agree with that statement. They pretty much drop the ball on TF2. Maybe TF3 will get back to the series roots.

and please don't tell me it's Technical Test and the full game will be different. What we played is basically a demo. Maybe some tweak here and there but nothing fundamental.
Overblown hate is just ridiculous. A lot of those things you complain about can be fixed easily. You don't know if they'll have attrition, you don't know if they'll have more bots in the other modes, this is all speculation.

You played a tech test for christ sakes.

Bad:
The interface is ugly and harder to read than in Titanfall 1.
The maps aren't fun and don't feel like they have Titans or parkour in mind. "Bounty Hunter" or whatever is really annoying.
Titans are now integrated as a bonus and not an aspect of the game, which makes no sense.
Needs controller icons to abilities like Overwatch.

Good:
The hook and slide are 10/10.
Group system is cool. I like it a lot.

This game went from a Day 1 to a maybe in a day. It's disappointing.

ethomaz

Banned
What I can say without play it is if they did that many changes in the game was because they felt the first game didn't meet expectations.

They are trying to archive success they expected changing the formula.

Let's see how it works.

CoD is king for a series of reasons... if they want to desthrone the king they need to change their game.

FLAguy954

k1yXfmE.jpg

Pretty much my feelings on the matter. I played a free weekend on Origin and I liked what I played. After reading the in-depth impressions after E3, I knew they fucked up hard on this sequel.

BiggNife

Have they said definitively that Attrition won't be in the final game?

I assumed it just wasn't in the beta because they wanted to see how people reacted to Bounty Hunt.

Overblown hate is just ridiculous. A lot of those things you complain about can be fixed easily. You don't know if they'll have attrition, you don't know if they'll have more bots in the other modes, this is all speculation.

You played a tech test for christ sakes.

Most of you are forgetting this.

SwolBro

Banned
Sometimes i think i live in a world where everyone is fucking crazy but me

• The gunplay is still the best you can find in any shooter
  • The speed of the game is still there, when 99% of the original Titanfall population didn't know how to parkour or bhop properly how are so many people complaining about the movement in this game?
  • Attrition was a shit mode in the original game with a majority of those players, even the veterans not playing it at a very high level, CTF and LTS is where the good players went to play
  • A good player in the original Titanfall could get in a titan and completely wipe out an entire team, people complained about how dominating a titan was in the first game but now are complaining about how weak they are now?

There's definitely things here they need to fix like

• Lack of custom titan load outs
  • Bright glow around players
  • Maps being a bit too open
  • Tacticals being slow to replenish

But the doom and gloom is blown way out of proportion

Avari

Super disappointing. With so many games coming out this fall I was struggling to decide between this and battlefield. Only good news is I guess the choice has been made for me.

Top Bottom