• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall |OT| Titan Online. Signal When Ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeliard

What do you find so patronizing? I think the post goes into some exhaustive detail, trying to treat people who are interested like adults. It's certainly not coming from a condescending frame of mind.

The notion that a server browser is somehow far too complex such that you have to do all the work for us is pretty patronizing.

PC gaming has a long history of deep user flexibility and customization. What are the people who used server browsing software like Gamespy and All-Seeing-Eye to very efficiently find the matches they wanted to back with Quake and other games supposed to think when we've regressed so blatantly from that point, and it's being defended as progress?

RobbieNick

I got 50 in two days. Just back up (to cut down the angle) and look up as soon as they're doomed. Use the chaingun and start shooting at the peak of their ascent.

Also, the tone of that message from Respawn. Smfh.

I also am having a ton of crashes end of game since the newest patch on the 360

Same here. Yesterday was a shit fest.

The Cowboy

What do you find so patronizing? I think the post goes into some exhaustive detail, trying to treat people who are interested like adults. It's certainly not coming from a condescending frame of mind.
As one of the more vocal people against the CTF/PH playlist removal (I'm MajorMelchett on the Respawn forums), can i just say the article to me didn't read as patronizing (though some of it was info a lot of PC gamers would likely know, and i don't agree with some of it), to me it was doing something that wanted from day 1 (even pre-day 1) - a very nicely done and very clear post on what was done regarding the matchmaking (removing the playlists), and more importantly why it was done (the 1st really didn't do this well at all).

I'm really glad the CTF playlist is coming back (be sure to play it people), and i really hope the changes to the matchmaking system help with it getting into games easier. Also I'm really happy to see the lobby balancing being added, this is something that was really needed.

Due to the above, I'll be getting in touch with EA support and cancelling my refund request.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The Lobby rebalancing aspect is what I consider the most important change to be made I guess. I really just have been lucky, I suppose, and haven't had overwhelming issues getting into games. I've primarily played Variety Pack, and campaign I suppose, but I feel like I never have to wait so long before I'm counting down to match start that I've even thought "wow, this is taking a long time." The number of dramatically imbalanced matches has been quite high though. It is certainly true that generation is not indicative of skill in a raw curve or anything, but one team with 5 players in gen 1 and the other with 6 players including 2 gens 8s, a gen 4 and two gen 2s leads to.. the expected result

Edit: might as well throw these in while you're here, satchel charge nerf? carbine nerf? Everyone uses satchel charges and carbines or smart pistols now, there's no variation at all to peoples load outs, even I had to use them myself last week when I played to keep up. Also PC performance patch, water maps still run dodgey, Nvidia special treatment and Mercenaries playlist?

Doubt you'll get a reply, but yeah. Seriously. Instead of fixing what needs to be fixed, you guys are REMOVING features. I don't even play on PC and it pisses me off.

Fix the things that need to be fixed and stop removing content.

Hell, maybe even work closer with Bluepoint so your largest playerbase between the three consoles don't get screwed with constant delays on patches and DLC.

SJS

Back from my first and hopefully last GAF ban... still addicted to this game.

I'm going for a 10 K/D. Completely serious. I know I can do it... it's just a time commitment. I average about 12 usually (although I think Titanfall's calculation of average K/D over 10 games isn't totally accurate because it doesn't actually average your kills and deaths, correct me if I'm wrong).

I know it's an imperfect indicator of performance without context, but I don't care. I want the satisfaction of a double digit performance over the course of my entire time playing, and I know that Titanfall is probably the one game (series) I'll achieve it in.

The pleasure of having it done solo for the most part will feel really nice.

I remember posting here a while back that I thought there was no reason to use anything but the Ogre. As randoms have become smarter on average, I've switched to the Atlas - the ability to surprise people with Damage Core and escape Nuclear Ejections easily is critical to my gameplay. I also feel like the HP difference between the Ogre and Atlas isn't that significant.

Relic is my kryptonite. I've struggled to maintain a good performance on this map in particular because it's simultaneously difficult to evade others and incredibly CQC-oriented. I just feel so limited strategy-wise. It's also quite out of context given the map style generally featured in this game.

I wish you could trade burn cards for other burn cards. Fuck Active Camo. I need Most Wanted List. (Yeah, it'd be cheap to just get whatever you'd like... but think about it. Wouldn't sacrificing 3-4 useless cards for one of your choice be good?)

Nothing beats the thrill of Smart Pistoling a grenade near a guy ziplining to the top of Nexus. I'm honestly surprised I don't get hate mail over that, especially in light of the other messages I receive.

Is it me, or are there 100x the 420 gamertags nowadays? I can't go a single day without seeing at least two of them.

BIGWORM

Level 23, G4...feel like I'm getting nowhere fast with the challenges with the exception of the Longbow: love me some AOG Longbow. Everything else is meh. =/

SJS

Has anyone got any good gooser tips please?

I'm on gen 5 level 50 with 2 goosers left to get before I can level up.

I find it really hard to see ejecting pilots because they always seem to cloak.

I did this before the patch (does it even exist yet?) on the 360 with minimal trouble by going into Last Titan Standing with the XO-16 exmags. LTS is a great way to guarantee that you'll be fighting Titans quickly, and the XO-16 is indubitably the best weapon against ejecting pilots, especially given their ability to arc themselves in unpredictable directions.

Sometimes, you'll have to fight cloakers, but it is possible to see them with the right luck and angle (and plus, you'll have to do that in any mode regardless).

If you hate this challenge, just wait until you have to do Look Out Below. That challenge slays your performance level like no other.

Rayme

The explaining to us what matchmaking is is the patronising part. Server browsers are a tried and tested way of getting into games and playing with people of a similar mind frame if run properly. [..]

Some of it is. You make it sound like you know what and how people want to play.

The notion that a server browser is somehow far too complex such that you have to do all the work for us is pretty patronizing. [..]

Ahh, okay. I can see that. The (over-) explanation of matchmaking isn't meant to be a talking-down-to, it's trying to get everyone on the same page (there are plenty of people who know 0% about matchmaking or server browsers or etc). The article tries to explain that yes, we know a number of people feel that server browsing might be the/a solution to some things, but we're concentrating on making matchmaking better, and here's why.

[thoughts on efficiency of getting into a game, getting through menus]
Hmmm. I think I agree with a lot of what you're saying. This should improve.

Edit: might as well throw these in while you're here, satchel charge nerf? carbine nerf? Everyone uses satchel charges and carbines or smart pistols now, there's no variation at all to peoples load outs, even I had to use them myself last week when I played to keep up. Also PC performance patch, water maps still run dodgey, Nvidia special treatment and Mercenaries playlist?

Balance improvements will keep coming, and performance is steadily getting better.

Hell, maybe even work closer with Bluepoint so your largest playerbase between the three consoles don't get screwed with constant delays on patches and DLC.

I know this wasn't your intention, but all we could do to keep the releases closer together is hold back the PC/XB1 work that Respawn does until Bluepoint's (excellent) port work is ready.

Izuna

Banned
I'm still looking out for some sort of Gen update so I have a reason to keep playing. It's not a case of bragging, but I rarely find myself able to lose or even drop out of MVP. Even when I do end up losing, it takes about one game before the other team splits off and there is no longer any challenge. CTF is much better though.

Titanfall's core game is great and I can't wait for a sequel. I hope there will be some sort of campaign or horde mode.

I would love to play a Survival mode that is similar to the waves in the tutorial. The AI Titans in there are really good (just more aggressive I think). You wouldn't need need Pilot AI, it is the same enjoyment to kill a bunch of Grunts if the had a bit more health and were more damaging.

EDIT: Oh hey! CoD Ghosts free demo. I am going to jump on and see if I still suck.

Izuna

Banned
I don't understand the logic behind searching for similar skilled teammates, then similar skilled opponents, and if they leave it will search for any opponent after it can't find any more. In the early hours of Europe I am always in a team full of Gen 10s or Gen 8s and after a while we fight a team of newish players.

There has to be a way to make it split people up and re-adjust.

Jito

Banned
Balance improvements will keep coming, and performance is steadily getting better.

It's pretty obvious satchel charges and carbine are the go too weapons, how long does it take to add an arming time to satchel charges and lower the range on the carbine?

Damn, sounds like I should change my loadout haha. I use the SMGs, and hardly ever the satchel charges. I get fairly okay results though so I dunno. What's going on with htis companion app, keep trying to get it off the windows store on my pc and nada.

I don't dig satchels, arc grenades are more versatile, but then again I will 1v1 a titan on foot at every opportunity, so I need that blinding action. Satchels do drive me nuts when the entire opposing team is using them though.

And while the carbine is clearly a beast, I find that the very best players dump in in favor of a CAR for the increased mobility. Lately I've been finding the R97 with extended mags surprisingly competent.

I've been using the smart pistol a lot lately, I should probably swap in frags, which I almost never use, just so I can do the lock-on fast explosion troll maneuver.

And while the carbine is clearly a beast, I find that the very best players dump in in favor of a CAR for the increased mobility. Lately I've been finding the R97 with extended mags surprisingly competent.

I've been using the smart pistol a lot lately, I should probably swap in frags, which I almost never use, just so I can do the lock-on fast explosion troll maneuver.

Haha the exact two options I go between, the CAR or R97 with the extended mag. Haven't touched the smart pistol though since the tutorial.

j0hnnix

Not sure if this has been posted here before, but I really like this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXA8doJiBys

The part where they line up to execute each other is kinda funny

amusd.gif

I did this before the patch (does it even exist yet?) on the 360 with minimal trouble by going into Last Titan Standing with the XO-16 exmags. LTS is a great way to guarantee that you'll be fighting Titans quickly, and the XO-16 is indubitably the best weapon against ejecting pilots, especially given their ability to arc themselves in unpredictable directions.
I completed the Gooser challenge last night while playing Attrition. In LTS I found that the opposing team was too aggressive for me to get a good chance, cos you need to be some distance away to have chance of getting hits on the pilot. Perhaps I was a bit too aggressive too, lol, because I didn't really like standing back out of the action just to get chances at goosers (although I did try that a couple of times without success).

Thank feck they reduced the number from 50 to 5 though! I think I'd have been there for a year trying to get 50, lol.

I played CTF tonight (PC) and found a lobby immediately of 5 v 5 players. I hope this trend continues as it is a decent enough mode.

Quick question: can a flag be returned whilst you are in a titan? I didn't get a chance to try; I know of the non-carrying of flags in a titan since the patch.

Has anyone got any good gooser tips please?

I'm on gen 5 level 50 with 2 goosers left to get before I can level up.

I find it really hard to see ejecting pilots because they always seem to cloak.

I was having the same issue last night with only 1 gooser kill. Ended up getting 4 last night. I used chaingun with extra mag. As soon as a titan was close to dying, I'd reload my chaingun, shoot salvo missles if needed and then immediately look up.

Re-genned to Level 6 and called it a night.

bought this on 360 earlier since I sold all my games the other week. I had plans to save up for a ps4 but I'm holding out on that because I'm taking a trip to New York in a month so the majority of my savings are going towards that, so I figured I might as well have somethjng to tide me over till then. is the 360 userbase still active?

Special C

The Carbine is a little too good for sure, but every weapon has a use except the G2 and Hemlock which the Carbine outclasses in all areas. The CAR is better with the counterweight at short and mid range but not as good at longer ranges. The other guns have their utility uses.

Ghazi

bought this on 360 earlier since I sold all my games the other week. I had plans to save up for a ps4 but I'm holding out on that because I'm taking a trip to New York in a month so the majority of my savings are going towards that, so I figured I might as well have somethjng to tide me over till then. is the 360 userbase still active?

When I played it, I didn't have any trouble finding games. I last played it last week so it should be fine.

SJS

Good decision, and yes, the 360 userbase is very active. I've never had a problem finding games, and you usually don't rematch specific players.

Buy this game now. You won't regret it.

Good decision, and yes, the 360 userbase is very active. I've never had a problem finding games, and you usually don't rematch specific players.

Buy this game now. You won't regret it.

oh I already bought it, but won't have time to play it for a day or so. thanks guys, can't ducking wait to dig into this game. for the longest time I was planning on just waiting out for titanfall 2 on ps4, so I'm super pumped to start playing :D

messing around in settings, should I click on or off for 30hz? I know it has something to do with tickrate from reddit/bf4 bit I'm not sure exactly what it does :p

edit: just played my first round any oh my god...I fuckin LOVE this shit. this game was made for me. I'm having so much fun fucking around jumping on and running on random shit. I ran around the same room like 5 times because it was so fun. I can't believe I was gonna pass this up. the only complaint I have is its hard telling grunts apart from pilots, but I'm guessing I'll get used to it over time. got 5 pilot kills, 23 grunts, and 7 deaths.

RobbieNick

messing around in settings, should I click on or off for 30hz? I know it has something to do with tickrate from reddit/bf4 bit I'm not sure exactly what it does :p

edit: just played my first round any oh my god...I fuckin LOVE this shit. this game was made for me. I'm having so much fun fucking around jumping on and running on random shit. I ran around the same room like 5 times because it was so fun. I can't believe I was gonna pass this up. the only complaint I have is its hard telling grunts apart from pilots, but I'm guessing I'll get used to it over time. got 5 pilot kills, 23 grunts, and 7 deaths.

Welcome to Titanfall. My favorite online FPS ever.

Grunts and Spectres (the robots with guns) are stupid and take forever to kill you. When I was in the early stages of the game, I uses a smart gun for a long time. The difference between grunts and pilots is very easy to tell with a smart gun. A smart gun will tag a grunt and spectre instantly while it takes a while to lock-onto a pilot. Also, when grunts see you, they tend to stop and kneel down to shoot you. Like the idiots they are. Hold X to hack into a spectre and you can have your own personal army.

30 HZ means 30 frames per second. This is to give you a solid framerate and no screen tearing, but I don't recommend it myself.

SJS

And so, it sets in...

Now, as for telling grunts apart from pilots, it's not difficult at all. Their movement patterns will tip you off quite easily, and Minion Detector (which you should be using at all times) will also assist you. As you get used to this game, you won't have this problem.

You've got a lot to discover in this game. Take your time, don't worry about your performance yet, and get used to the fundamentals. This game is a constant learning experience because of its pacing.

Don't think you're alone: it's definitely a learning experience for the people in this topic who have played the game considerably, as well. Hell, even as I dominate and win the majority of lobbies, I'm still surprised at what I haven't discovered every now and then.

realcZk

Everytime I look at Titanfall in my Origin library I feel guilty.

I literally haven't played this game since launch day. I put about 6-7 hours into the beta and enjoyed it a ton, then on launch day, my yearn to play just went *poof*. :(

tauke

It's been a month since I last touch Titanfall... time to play and see any changes.

For those who have the season pass (or bought the Expedition pack), how's the new map rotation? Still on the fence on buying it since I worry there will be not enough players on PC.

Ninja edit: Been stuck at "Connecting..." when finding a match and since there is no way to cancel it, I need to force end process to quit Titanfall. Now doing a game repair and see if it can detect any problem.

Ninja edit 2: Managed to join one match at East Asia with 150ms ping and its a nightmare to me lol. After that the dreaded connecting message appears again. Guess I save myself some money from not buying the season pass as I worried the game community will not last long (especially given that server browser is often countered with the matchmaking argument) and the internet in my country is completely atrocious yet expensive.

In a way, I'm glad I started Titanfall when it is freshly launched. One of the funnest multiplayer match I've played.

I finally fucking did it! Finally made it to Generation 10! Holy shit, I'm so glad I'm through with those awful challenges.

I'm not sure how much further I'll progress in the near future (currently Gen 6). It's doable, but after this weekend of entertaining a large number of family members I'm finding it hard to excuse going back and continuing to ignore other games on my backlog, which is looking like:

• GTA V
  • Dead Rising 3
  • Forza 5
  • Metal Gear Solid V Ground Zeroes
  • Batman Arkham City
  • Batman Arkham Origins
  • Outlast
  • Red Dead Redemption
  • The Last of Us: Left Behind DLC
  • Borderlands 2
  • Alice Madness Returns
  • Dark Souls
As well as various Vita and PS+ titles alongside the thankfully unaccessible PC backlog. I just don't know if I can just keep this committed to a single game that I barely have time to log in on in order to finally be rid of these challenges.

BIGWORM

Putting work in with the Charge Rifle challenge, moreso than I expected. I'm honestly starting to like this Anti-Titan weapon...

Kydd BlaZe

I'm not sure how much further I'll progress in the near future (currently Gen 6). It's doable, but after this weekend of entertaining a large number of family members I'm finding it hard to excuse going back and continuing to ignore other games on my backlog, which is looking like:

• GTA V
  • Dead Rising 3
  • Forza 5
  • Metal Gear Solid V Ground Zeroes
  • Batman Arkham City
  • Batman Arkham Origins
  • Outlast
  • Red Dead Redemption
  • The Last of Us: Left Behind DLC
  • Borderlands 2
  • Alice Madness Returns
  • Dark Souls
As well as various Vita and PS+ titles alongside the thankfully unaccessible PC backlog. I just don't know if I can just keep this committed to a single game that I barely have time to log in on in order to finally be rid of these challenges.
Yeah that's quite the backlog you've got there. I've been putting off a ton of games myself, just to gun for these challenges. I managed to fly through each generation up until Gen 8 and 9. Those two generations are extremely time consuming.

Now I'm just gonna try and mop up a few more of these achievements, and just enjoy the new maps when they release.

I figured as the community naturally dwindled on PC, I'd be getting my ass kicked more and more by the hardcore players leftover. However, my last few days I've played I've completely stomped. I don't even think I've lost the last 3 days I've played...My only guess is that with less casual players, I've had more parties of veteran players.

I finally fucking did it! Finally made it to Generation 10! Holy shit, I'm so glad I'm through with those awful challenges.
Damn. Well done.

Putting work in with the Charge Rifle challenge, moreso than I expected. I'm honestly starting to like this Anti-Titan weapon...

I think it's the best anti-titan weapon. Not having to reload is a huge plus and it's surprisingly easy to aim.

One thing that annoys me with this game is how the amped weapons don't keep the attachments you use with your build. IMO, an amped primary isn't worthwhile when you lose the suppressor.

Amped R101C is a murder machine. Though I can do without the Amped Spitfire, that gun is bad enough without being forced to use the Iron Sights. Amped Smart Pistol is awesome as well.

Tokubetsu

I figured as the community naturally dwindled on PC, I'd be getting my ass kicked more and more by the hardcore players leftover. However, my last few days I've played I've completely stomped. I don't even think I've lost the last 3 days I've played...My only guess is that with less casual players, I've had more parties of veteran players.

Damn. Well done.

I've been doing really well too. Even if my team loses I'm still typically top of my team and with a positive k/d.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom