• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall |OT| Titan Online. Signal When Ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I think the Expedition playlists really messed up the PC community. It just hasn't been the same this week and it can't be anything but that. Matchmaking was slow before this, but it did work. You would get into a game after a minute or two. But now.. theres just nobody there.

I've been playing in the mornings before work and Monday I just flat out couldn't get into a game. I alotted 45 minutes for myself thinking I could get in about three matches. But that time was just wasted waiting around in matchmaking. I'd quit out, join other playlists, go back to the one I was originally in, etc and it just didn't happen.

So today, I left it on the matchmaking screen and went and prepared my lunch. I came back to see the game starting up a round of runoff attrition.. but the teams were 6 Gen10s vs a team of 3 lower level players. I mean the game couldn't even fill the one match it did get me into.

This was not the case for me before last week. Things were always a bit slow but it still worked. Now I'm really feeling like the game just doesn't work anymore. I can't think of any other reason than the community just isn't big enough to handle DLC segregation. So yeah. I'm pretty interested to see what this game looks like by the time the third pack is released...

Anyone else on windows 8 getting hit with "no longer available" when trying to download the new titanfall companion app? I wanted to have a look at it but I just keep getting told no.

Whoo, finally at Gen 10 Rank 50! I'm probably gonna take a break from TF until the map pack gets ported to the 360 maybe. Might go try to hit rank 50 in GTA V or even go back to Halo 4 for a bit. Anything to break out of the ADS routine :p

My final stats (lol) are a 70% wins, 56% MVP with an 4.0 K/D vs pilots and a 11.3 overall. This is the only game I've ever finished it's "prestige system" so I'm kinda proud haha.

I'll probably post some thoughts now that I've seen basically everything later tonight.

BIGWORM

Just got up to Gen4 and I'm already level 13 somehow in a matter of a handful of games. I got the Charge Rifle, Quad Rockets, Longbow, and Autopistol challenges in order to regen. =/

Just got up to Gen4 and I'm already level 13 somehow in a matter of a handful of games. I got the Charge Rifle, Quad Rockets, Longbow, and Autopistol challenges in order to regen. =/

It goes by really quick. The auto pistol is surprisingly viable and accurate, and crits with Charge Rifle are easy to accumulate quickly. One thing you can do is hop on an Atlas Titan and use the Charge Rifle to ensure critical hits as there isn't splash damage. Won't work on Ogres or Stryders though.

Gen 6 may be the first challenge you come across that will take you past reaching lvl 50 to accomplish, depending on your luck with the Brain Surgeon challenge. Gen 5 doesn't take long with Gooser reduced to 5.

Roflobear

Woohoo! Just got to Gen 10! Man I'm so happy right now. Once I get to level 50 I think I'm gonna take a long break from this game. It's kinda all I've been playing since it launched. I'll definitely come back for the new map packs though

Okay, Gen 9 is pretty easy. Campaign makes MVPs easy as cake.

Laaaaaaaame =p

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I've noticed respawn promoting PUG games/homegrown tournaments on their twitter... we could self organize and get a good group going. I love the game and intend to keep playing it until I'm sick of it.

I'm having trouble coming up with game modes I'd like to see them add, especially with the state of the player base and them removing playlists to not truly engage the issue at hand. The game also doesn't look like it could easily be balanced spawn-wise for lone wolf match types such as Gun Game or Juggernaut.

A non-respawn mode of Attrition wouldn't go over well either.

Perhaps expand on the hacking meta-game into a full blown game mode? Would give a greater emphasis on the Icepick perk.

I would but I misplaced my mic =/

Biggest regret during my Titanfall playtime was playing alone the whole time

Same here, and it really bummed me out that I finally joined up with people to find my headsets speakers were busted. You can still pull off some amazing things if you both know you're cooperating with each other, but it's nowhere near what you'll get with a mic.

Roflobear

Same here, and it really bummed me out that I finally joined up with people to find my headsets speakers were busted. You can still pull off some amazing things if you both know you're cooperating with each other, but it's nowhere near what you'll get with a mic.

Yea it's funny say you that. I just played in a party tonight with some random people of assorted gens and we dominated. Still felt I could've contributed a lot more with a mic.

Also Respawn could make custom maps for a new game mode. Grifball in Halo had really small maps to accommodate the game type. Hope Respawn puts in a similar goofy, sport-style game

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
The queues are movin' tonight! Just played about 5 epic matches in a row. Swampland is such a great map. I was in a game of LTS and our teams were clashing right at the crest of a hill. It was so cool to see hundreds of rockets exchanged over it. It was absolute pandemonium.

I think a Free For All mode would work well personally. I'm not too worried about spawn balancing, so long as it doesn't spawn you in someone's sights, you can get to where you need to be going so fast it doesn't really matter. You have too many movement options for COD style spawn-trap bullshit to be that effective.

daedalius

I think the Expedition playlists really messed up the PC community. It just hasn't been the same this week and it can't be anything but that. Matchmaking was slow before this, but it did work. You would get into a game after a minute or two. But now.. theres just nobody there.

I've been playing in the mornings before work and Monday I just flat out couldn't get into a game. I alotted 45 minutes for myself thinking I could get in about three matches. But that time was just wasted waiting around in matchmaking. I'd quit out, join other playlists, go back to the one I was originally in, etc and it just didn't happen.

So today, I left it on the matchmaking screen and went and prepared my lunch. I came back to see the game starting up a round of runoff attrition.. but the teams were 6 Gen10s vs a team of 3 lower level players. I mean the game couldn't even fill the one match it did get me into.

This was not the case for me before last week. Things were always a bit slow but it still worked. Now I'm really feeling like the game just doesn't work anymore. I can't think of any other reason than the community just isn't big enough to handle DLC segregation. So yeah. I'm pretty interested to see what this game looks like by the time the third pack is released...

Well this really makes me want to go load it up...

Jito

Banned
Titanfall is dying off quicker than I expected. I thought the DLC and update would bring more people in here and more players on PC, yet it has done the opposite by removing playlists and segregating the community. Sad to see this two months after release.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Well this really makes me want to go load it up...
It's a pretty fickle game, I played last night and wait times were as quick as possible and the people were very nice. You should load it up, it's one of the most fun shooters I've ever played.

Titanfall is dying off quicker than I expected. I thought the DLC and update would bring more people in here and more players on PC, yet it has done the opposite by removing playlists and segregating the community. Sad to see this two months after release.

Can't speak for others but I put the game down once I reached Gen 10.

Game is fun but the lack of unlocks just sort of killed it for me.. if they added more gen's with more challenges I'd probably come back.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Got crushed 1-5 in CTF on Runoff last night, but I still really enjoyed the "No Titan Flag Grabbing" change. I really need to get used to the "beeline for a friendly Titan!" aspect when you've got the flag.

Tawpgun

Got crushed 1-5 in CTF on Runoff last night, but I still really enjoyed the "No Titan Flag Grabbing" change. I really need to get used to the "beeline for a friendly Titan!" aspect when you've got the flag.

I hate how dumb people are with this too. Half the time I grab the flag and a friendly titan ignores me.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I hate how dumb people are with this too. Half the time I grab the flag and a friendly titan ignores me.
I guess there's just a learning curve all around. The one cap we did, the guy jumped between my titan and another friendly titan on the way to the flag base... pretty awesome.

Just caught this Gamespot vid on the DLC and they discuss the CTF/PH PC playlist removal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwPoHiLvPQw

They don't seem impressed about the CTF/PH PC removal, and one admits that he no longer plays the game because of it.
I'm kind of in that camp. I played a handful of matches today, but it was the first time since the DLC/patch hit. CTF was my favorite mode, and no flags in titans was the thing I wanted most. So the removal of the playlist really rubbed me the wrong way.

I'm feeling the itch again though. Now I think I'll just play variety pack though. I'm not sure yet.

Roflobear

Just got to Gen 10 level 50. Took me 5 days, 5 hours, and 57 minutes of play time to do it. This is far and away the most I've ever played a multiplayer game, especially this close to launch. I think I'm gonna put this game down for good now. It's definitely been worth it though. This game is something else

HelloMeow

I finally uninstalled Titanfall. I love it, but it's just not worth the wait anymore.

Matchmaking is too slow and the teams are unbalanced, by number of players and player skill too often. And it's only getting worse.

The time I'm wasting waiting on matchmaking, or for Respawn to do something about it is better spent on other games. I'm very disappointed.

So it looks like there is an update on the 360, but every time xbox tries to download it I get an error message. Anyone else seeing this?

Edit: Seems to be working now

hoyalawya

Made it to Gen 10 level 50 for a while now. This is the first online FPS I ever played and I think that I have learned a lot. As a complete noob, I finished gen 1 with 0.3 K/D against pilots and 30% winning percentage. I am right now at 1.2 K/D and 60% winning percentage. I play solo most of the times. Got all achievements except Pull Harder, I Kill Them All, and All the Hardware. Working on unlocking all the hardware now (and dreading the G2A4 challenges).

Special C

Made it to Gen 10 level 50 for a while now. This is the first online FPS I ever played and I think that I have learned a lot. As a complete noob, I finished gen 1 with 0.3 K/D against pilots and 30% winning percentage. I am right now at 1.2 K/D and 60% winning percentage. I play solo most of the times. Got all achievements except Pull Harder, I Kill Them All, and All the Hardware. Working on unlocking all the hardware now (and dreading the G2A4 challenges).

You will get this much faster if you abuse the last Campaign Mission for all the Spectre kills.

Has anyone got any good gooser tips please?

I'm on gen 5 level 50 with 2 goosers left to get before I can level up.

I find it really hard to see ejecting pilots because they always seem to cloak.

If you have the new maps, I suggest playing on War Games. It's really easy to see ejecting pilots on that map. I get one practically every round I play on it.

If you have the new maps, I suggest playing on War Games. It's really easy to see ejecting pilots on that map. I get one practically every round I play on it.
Thanks, I'll give that a go.

Which mode do you suggest? I've been playing Last Titan Standing, as I figured as everyone starts in titans, it would be quicker to get goosers, but it's really not been working out well at all, haha.

hoyalawya

Use the Arc Cannon. About 1/3 charge will kill the pilot and you cannot be too far off as the range is limited. Also, don't get frustrated. Sometimes I get 3 goosers kill in one game. Sometimes I don't get any for days. The right lobby will eventually come.

hoyalawya

Thanks, I'll give that a go.

Which mode do you suggest? I've been playing Last Titan Standing, as I figured as everyone starts in titans, it would be quicker to get goosers, but it's really not been working out well at all, haha.

I would still suggest LTS for gooser hunting. The other modes take too long for people to get into titans. Too many variables in other game modes. In LTS, the main variable is other titans shooting at you while you are trying to goose (apart from the cloak & invisibility kit thing).

I get em mostly in attrition. LTS is ok too, but a lot of the time you're going to be taking too much abuse from the remaining titans. Arc cannon is decent, chaingun is decent as well, probably a little more forgiving, but hitmarkers can be frustrating, and 40mm is passable. Nice thing about 40mm is that you'll kill off enemy titans more effectively leading to more opportunities. But it takes more skill to hit the shot once you get that opportunity.

I got 50 in two days. Just back up (to cut down the angle) and look up as soon as they're doomed. Use the chaingun and start shooting at the peak of their ascent.

Also, the tone of that message from Respawn. Smfh.

I also am having a ton of crashes end of game since the newest patch on the 360.

Jito

Banned
The explaining to us what matchmaking is is the patronising part. Server browsers are a tried and tested way of getting into games and playing with people of a similar mind frame if run properly. I can tell you're primarily a console developer when you dismiss them as, "well matchamaking is easier, we know what is best for you". You wouldn't need these promised hashtags if you had a server browser for starters, and those hashtag things are going to take another few months to come about.

Also the reason people were so pissed about game types being removed was because you're taking content out of the game, not that people played it before and now they can't. It's like you're choosing to read just some peoples opinions on it. Also taking CTF after fixing it anyway was pretty mind blowing. Do you have anything to say regarding taking playlists out of the game only 2 months after release? How is the PC playerbase?

Edit: might as well throw these in while you're here, satchel charge nerf? carbine nerf? Everyone uses satchel charges and carbines or smart pistols now, there's no variation at all to peoples load outs, even I had to use them myself last week when I played to keep up. Also PC performance patch, water maps still run dodgey, Nvidia special treatment and Mercenaries playlist?

HelloMeow

What do you find so patronizing? I think the post goes into some exhaustive detail, trying to treat people who are interested like adults. It's certainly not coming from a condescending frame of mind.

Some of it is. You make it sound like you know what and how people want to play.

You make it sound like the current lobby system, with the dedicated servers, is a good thing, but to me it seems very inefficient. Every step is accompanied by a "connecting" window (which can last quite long) and the 2 minute waiting period in between games doesn't help either.

Also, you seem to confuse team balance with skill based matchmaking.
I don't know about most players, but I just want to play the game. I want reasonably balanced teams and I don't want skill based matchmaking, especially when it comes at the cost of longer search times.

I love the game when I'm actually playing it, but trying to get into a game often feels like a chore. Even when everything goes smoothly I'm spending about 25% of the time staring at some kind of menu. That's the best case scenario. For me that's not worth it anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom