• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall Review Thread

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
calm down, it's just a video game

I am calm :p

Just was pointing out that MS overhyping the game may have caused a more negative reaction to the game than it deserves, and that MS probably expected a 90+ score based on their marketing of the game(of course, I don't work at MS so it's an assumption on my part). Didn't realize my opinion would irk people so much.

Oh well, carry on

"I don't understand why Sony fans get so defensive and personal regarding this game."

There, fixed it for you.
I'm a sony fan and I think titanfall is fantastic just wished it had a co op mode like zombies or safeguard but other than that I would love to play it, what are you trying to imply?

Just was pointing out that MS overhyping the game may have caused a more negative reaction to the game than it deserves, and that MS probably expected a 90+ score based on their marketing of the game(of course, I don't work at MS so it's an assumption on my part). Didn't realize my opinion would irk people so much.

Oh well, carry on

it isn't your opinion it's your false narrative and completer dissassociation from what you just said. you aren't a victim. get over it. you also avoid any questions about it. weak sauce but we get that from how you respond. carry on. we'll be laughing.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
it isn't your opinion it's your false narrative and completer dissassociation from what you just said. you aren't a victim. get over it. you also avoid any questions about it. weak sauce but we get that from how you respond. carry on. we'll be laughing.

No, I'm just ignoring you because I don't really care for your opinion of my opinion.

You seem to be awfully obsessed with me in this thread,

I'd like to think that when discussing the trend of reviews favouring large budget productions with story-based design, I wouldn't have to explicitly state that this would not hold true for a device that's essentially unsuited to these types of games. To clarify though, I'm referring to games on home consoles, where the experiences stated have generally become the focus.

There is a call of duty every year, a battlefield every year, an AC creed game every year

Sure they don't review as well as other games but in no way is the focus of home consoles solely emotionally engaging story driven experiences.

Steffen

Banned
What about Nintendo fans? Or is this just your subtle way of saying SonyGAF?

I'm a sony fan and I think titanfall is fantastic just wished it had a co op mode like zombies or safeguard but other than that I would love to play it, what are you trying to imply?

Sorry, didn't mean to offend anyone. Definitely didn't mean to imply that all Sony fans had a problem with Titanfall's positive reception.

No, I'm just ignoring you because I don't really care for your opinion of my opinion.

Your previous posts have created such hype and high expectations for your future posts that people can't help but be obsessed with your posts. Don't blame us for the backlash.

Holy crap!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=footer_cou?ie=UTF8&nodeId=508088

"REVIEWS, COMMENTS, COMMUNICATIONS, AND OTHER CONTENT

Visitors may post reviews, comments, photos, and other content; send e-cards and other communications; and submit suggestions, ideas, comments, questions, or other information, so long as the content is not illegal, obscene, threatening, defamatory, invasive of privacy, infringing of intellectual property rights, or otherwise injurious to third parties or objectionable and does not consist of or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings, or any form of "spam." You may not use a false e-mail address, impersonate any person or entity, or otherwise mislead as to the origin of a card or other content. Amazon reserves the right (but not the obligation) to remove or edit such content, but does not regularly review posted content.

If you do post content or submit material, and unless we indicate otherwise, you grant Amazon a nonexclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, and fully sublicensable right to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, and display such content throughout the world in any media. You grant Amazon and sublicensees the right to use the name that you submit in connection with such content, if they choose. You represent and warrant that you own or otherwise control all of the rights to the content that you post; that the content is accurate; that use of the content you supply does not violate this policy and will not cause injury to any person or entity; and that you will indemnify Amazon for all claims resulting from content you supply. Amazon has the right but not the obligation to monitor and edit or remove any activity or content. Amazon takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any content posted by you or any third party."

hooligan

Oh well, carry on

There was no massive hype until people actually played the game and everyone said it was awesome. Then MS realized they had a hit and they committed marketing dollars to it. I am confused as to how the seller of a product can "over" hype something. The objective to selling something is "as much hype is possible." As a seller, your goal should be infinity hype. Now, the media can overhype things. Buyers, consumers, they can overhype things. Sellers don't "hype" things....it's just called "marketing." It is just like films. Once a movie tests well, the studios allocate more marketing dollars to it. The media hears how well it tested. The media starts writing stories about it. People on the internet start anticipating it. The studio says "Great! People are excited. Let's make it into a big event!"
PS It's not MS's fault that Sony spends 0 money on marketing. It's not MS's fault that Sony has the superior hardware at a cheaper price point and should be CRUSHING MS but they couldn't get their sh*t together on the games side. Sony is lucky to be leading the race at this point given how much they fumbled the software side.

Synth

Is there any particular reason you take issue with the blanket statement of Sony fans, but not with the previous blanket statement of Titanfall fans that post was responding to?

I think it's safe to assume that in either case, the group of fans has a decent number of reasonable people that aren't simply flag waving (regardless of if they like Titanfall or not). Apparently you're one of these reasonable people. Congratulations! :)

These have been some of the worst responses I have ever seen someone make in regards to having their points challenged. Was your plan to just dump a comment in the thread, have everyone read it, but nobody respond?

These have been some of the worst responses I have ever seen someone make in regards to having their points challenged. Was your plan to just dump a comment in the thread, have everyone read it, but nobody respond?

It's amazing when him and others like him just stumble in and expect to be unchallenged when they make absurd and ridiculous statements and contradict themselves in a mere scattering of posts. He'll run off though as I'm sure he realizes how pathetic it looks.

Dabanton

Holy shit this thread is serious business.

Reviews are fun little diversions but the damm battleground they've become is utterly pathetic. People actually voting down games on Metacritic is borderline crazy.

Of course they have that policy as they should. Trolls will likely post terrible crap in the reviews of certain products.

The problem comes if they use that ability to take down legitimate reviews and that is hard to determine

I just talked to Amazon, They said even if the review is from a verified purchaser, if the review discloses personal information and use language which is against Amazon policy, the review will be removed from the product page. However the people in the thread had just 1 removed review guy with a cuss word, everyone else had no personal information or a cuss words which was odd.

I just talked to Amazon, They said even if the review is from a verified purchaser, if the review discloses personal information and use language which is against Amazon policy, the review will be removed from the product page. However the people in the thread had just 1 removed review guy with a cuss word, everyone else had no personal information or a cuss words which was odd.

The fact that people actually think this is a real thing is amusing to me. Amazon is so legitimately invested in Titanfall even they don't want to see it get bad reviews! Their CEO must have gotten caught up in the hype!

This is obviously either a bug, or an issue with the content of the reviews. Amazon doesn't give a shit about Titanfall anymore than they do the latest Donkey Kong game. And no, I don't even believe Microsoft requested bad reviews be removed either. That's just ridiculous. Ask yourself why Microsoft didn't ask to have lots of bad XB1 user reviews removed too, if they had such power, because I can assure you they're far more concerned about negative reviews on their console than they are a game.

Vylsith

Banned

They've removed 2 more 3 star reviews in the last few minutes. Granted they've removed a few 5 star reviews as well, but I didn't see anything wrong with the reviews. I'll grant that it doesn't seem to be confined to lower rated reviews, but the ratio is still way off. Maybe there's just a lot more people reporting the lower rated reviews? I've honestly never seen this happen to a game on Amazon before though.

Is there any particular reason you take issue with the blanket statement of Sony fans, but not with the previous blanket statement of Titanfall fans that post was responding to?

I think it's safe to assume that in either case, the group of fans has a decent number of reasonable people that aren't simply flag waving (regardless of if they like Titanfall or not). Apparently you're one of these reasonable people. Congratulations! :)

Because regardless of fan bases there are fans and fanboys that type of statement adds fuel to a fire and derails a conversation about a good game that regardless of platform of choice should be enjoyed many of my personal friends are xbox fans and I'm a playstation fan and guess what we get along they come over we play cod ghost on my ps4 and injustice, and when I chill at there place we play killer instinct, and guess what we have a blast I'm a playstation fan but I want Nintendo and Microsoft to be successful, anyone who wants a certain company to get out of the console space are corporate slaves and are embarrassment to the gaming community, I'm personal tried of the gaming community toxic environment specially the YouTube gaming community (don't get me started on them) / either way there was tangent I know it was long sorry for derailing the conversation even further.

leobebes

Banned

I publish on Amazon and I've had verified purchasers purposely write spoilers in their review out of pure spite. I've had others, who turned out to work for publishing houses, not only eviscerate my product after openly admitting they never read past the sample, but use the review thread to sell another product. Luckily, Amazon does sometimes listen and removes such reviews if one complains in a professional manner.

Also, remember, Amazon let's you order something and literally gives you half a day or more, depending on the product, to return the product. In that window, if you want to leave a review, you sometimes can, and it will identify you as a verified purchaser.

Amazon isn't stupid. Their sitting on loads of data that you and I aren't privy to, and are most likely basing their deletions on said data.

N.Domixis

Banned
I am curious if this game will win the majority of GOTY awards. That metacritic doesn't look promising. Usually the GOTY awards swing towards the 90+ rated games.

Synth

There is a call of duty every year, a battlefield every year, an AC creed game every year

Sure they don't review as well as other games but in no way is the focus of home consoles solely emotionally engaging story driven experiences.

I dunno... As someone who over time feels that the games they valued most (the elusive mid-tier offerings) have slowly begun to die out over the years, primarily because nobody buys them, I find it very difficult to agree that narrative driven offerings are not the current focus of the market. We get those games every year, because they sell every year. The sales of these sorts of games seems to also match up with how likely they are to review well. Your example of Threes is actually interesting for this reason also. Not only do I believe that a game of that type is more likely to be able to pull a high scoring review on that platform, it is also the most likely environment for that game to actually be able to sell in large quantities.

I'm not trying to cherry pick examples to fit my argument here, honest. I simply can't see what can be done with many types of games today for them to possibly score on par with a Mass Effect, Bioshock, GTA or Uncharted. Arcade racers? If Burnout Paradise, Forza Horizon, Motorstorm Pacific Rift, Wipeout HD, Project Gotham, Sonic Allstars Transformed etc are ALL not applicable. What exactly would be? I believe this list contains what many would consider to be the pinnacles of the genre this gen, yet not one has broken 90 on Metacritic. This can be done for quite a few genres, and when compared with the number of story-driven cinematic games that have effortless reached these scores, I find the point difficult to argue against really.

DryvBy

The fact that people actually think this is a real thing is amusing to me. Amazon is so legitimately invested in Titanfall even they don't want to see it get bad reviews! Their CEO must have gotten caught up in the hype!

This is obviously either a bug, or an issue with the content of the reviews. Amazon doesn't give a shit about Titanfall anymore than they do the latest Donkey Kong game. And no, I don't even believe Microsoft requested bad reviews be removed either. That's just ridiculous. Ask yourself why Microsoft didn't ask to have lots of bad XB1 user reviews removed too, if they had such power, because I can assure you they're far more concerned about negative reviews on their console than they are a game.

This isn't about Microsoft at this point. This would be about Amazon. Amazon has removed legit reviews in the past. I've had one of mine removed for another product, not related to Microsoft.

leobebes

Banned
I am curious if this game will win the majority of GOTY awards. That metacritic doesn't look promising. Usually the GOTY awards swing towards the 90+ rated games.

No.

GOTY will come down to:

Second Son
Destiny (PS4 exclusive DLC)
MLB: The Show
Driveclub
Uncharted 1-3: remastered

So don't fret...

I dunno... As someone who over time feels that the games they valued most (the elusive mid-tier offerings) have slowly begun to die out over the years, primarily because nobody buys them, I find it very difficult to agree that narrative driven offerings are not the current focus of the market. We get those games every year, because they sell every year. The sales of these sorts of games seems to also match up with how likely they are to review well. Your example of Threes is actually interesting for this reason also. Not only do I believe that a game of that type is more likely to be able to pull a high scoring review on that platform, it is also the most likely environment for that game to actually be able to sell in large quantities.

I'm not trying to cherry pick examples to fit my argument here, honest. I simply can't see what can be done with many types of games today for them to possibly score on par with a Mass Effect, Bioshock, GTA or Uncharted. Arcade racers? If Burnout Paradise, Forza Horizon, Motorstorm Pacific Rift, Wipeout HD, Project Gotham, Sonic Allstars Transformed etc are ALL not applicable. What exactly would be? I believe this list contains what many would consider to be the pinnacles of the genre this gen, yet not one has broken 90 on Metacritic. This can be done for quite a few genres, and when compared with the number of story-driven cinematic games that have effortless reached these scores, I find the point difficult to argue against really.

So is Super Mario 3D world an exception to the rule?

But Mass Effect and GTA don't have emotionally engaging stories? They have stories but one could easily argue they're not very good. Bioshock is debate but less so.

Sorry if my answer is short and sweet. I'm trying to watch the Bafta's right now so my attention is diverted. Doesn't help that I'm working as well lol

leobebes

Banned
This isn't about Microsoft at this point. This would be about Amazon. Amazon has removed legit reviews in the past. I've had one of mine removed for another product, not related to Microsoft.

More often than not, their review removal process tends to be for legitimate reasons. In fact, if you feel so strongly that the removal of your review was done with malice or was unnecessary, all you gotta do is send them an email stating your case, and if your review was legit, then they'll put it back on. There's no conspiracy...Occam's Razor and all that good stuff.

So is Super Mario 3D world an exception to the rule?

But Mass Effect and GTA don't have emotionally engaging stories? They have stories but one could easily argue they're not very good. Bioshock is debate but less so.

Sorry if my answer is short and sweet. I'm trying to watch the Bafta's right now so my attention is diverted. Doesn't help that I'm working as well lol

Mass Effect gives me feels. My feels are valid.

Synth

Because regardless of fan bases there are fans and fanboys that type of statement adds fuel to a fire and derails a conversation about a good game that regardless of platform of choice should be enjoyed many of my personal friends are xbox fans and I'm a playstation fan and guess what we get along they come over we play cod ghost on my ps4 and injustice, and when I chill at there place we play killer instinct, and guess what we have a blast I'm a playstation fan but I want Nintendo and Microsoft to be successful, anyone who wants a certain company to get out of the console space are corporate slaves and are embarrassment to the gaming community, I'm personal tried of the gaming community toxic environment specially the YouTube gaming community (don't get me started on them) / either way there was tangent I know it was long sorry for derailing the conversation even further.

As I said, you seem completely reasonable about this. The only reason I asked, was because I feel that throwing all "Titanfall fans" into one group, that will apparently attack any dissenting opinions, isn't much different to claiming all "Sony fans" attack Titanfall simply because it's not on their console of choice. Essentially casting a net over either group is pointless if taken as meaning literally everyone included.

No.

GOTY will come down to:

Second Son
Destiny (PS4 exclusive DLC)
MLB: The Show
Driveclub
Uncharted 1-3: remastered

So don't fret...

I would be extremely surprised if Second Son, The Show, or Driveclub end up troubling the GOTY awards. Destiny I could see. Uncharted I can't really see (a rerelease taking GOTY would have to be a pretty bad year). Now something like Dark Souls 2? I could see that.

Vylsith

Banned
They just removed 7 5 star reviews, 2 4 star reviews, and every 3 - 1 star review except one. I think there's a problem with Amazon's review system.

They just removed 7 5 star reviews, 2 4 star reviews, and every 3 - 1 star review except one. I think there's a problem with Amazon's review system.

Given the span of reviews, I think it's more likely that Titanfall is being bombarded with fake reviews. Unless, of course, this problem is happening across Amazon.

Top Bottom