• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLOU PRO Patch 1.08 - Supersampling removed from all modes [Up: New DF video]

kfpkiller

I just resumed my walkthrough, it looks like antialiasing has been turned off.
It used to look so good, the IQ was perfect :(

NewDust

TLoU super sampled was one of the reasons I bought a Pro last friday. I would have played on locked mode regardless. I feel duped.

At least the unlocked mode has been buttery smooth so far.

onQ123

I say this again : neither one of the ND games that have been updated for PS4 Pro is using the custom features of the PS4 Pro GPU when we know that ND would be able to use them just as good as all the other devs that have used the features in their games so it's more than likely that ND is working on something for their engine that they will add to Uncharted 4 & Last Of Us when it's up & running, Probably will come with the Lost Legacy game.

Jacob4815

I say this again : neither one of the ND games that have been updated for PS4 Pro is using the custom features of the PS4 Pro GPU when we know that ND would be able to use them just as good as all the other devs that have used the features in their games so it's more than likely that ND is working on something for their engine that they will add to Uncharted 4 & Last Of Us when it's up & running, Probably will come with the Lost Legacy game.

This is a good point.
Maybe they didn't give a PRO support to the Uncharted Collection for this reason, and the LOU:Remastered support was a mistake and a poor decision. And they announced yesterday an update to their engine.

But still, I don't understand (from a technical point of view) the reasons on removing the supersampling at 30 fps. A mode that worked fine and without issues. For everyone.

onQ123

This is a good point.
Maybe they didn't give a PRO support to the Uncharted Collection for this reason, and the LOU:Remastered support was a mistake and a poor decision. And they announced yesterday an update to their engine.

But still, I don't understand (from a technical point of view) the reasons on removing the supersampling at 30 fps. A mode that worked fine and without issues. For everyone.

Because they changed the game from only rendering at above 1080P to having a 1080P rendering mode. That 1080P rendering mode is automatic when you have a HDTV.

Supersampling was a bonus side effect from the game only having a 4K TV rendering mode that had to be scaled down for HDTVs.

Jacob4815

I still haven't played the Ladt of us. I have aps4 pro with a 1080p tv. Should I wait for the next patch?

Maybe you can wait a week or two. Next days we'll understand if ND really wants to fix this thing.
However, signals are not good.

PS. If you don't care about IQ and resolution, of course you should play it.

RedStep

Why is thelastword giving us so much shit so often? I don't get it. He is a genuinely nasty person and often incorrect about what he says.

One of the most insane fanboys I've ever seen. He "interprets" what is being said in every video through his own distorted lens and makes false claims based on what he thinks he is hearing. Usually trolls just drive by post but this guy literally writes novels on completely bogus ideas. He does not want facts. He doesn't. He only cares about painting the PlayStation 4 and all related products in the best light possible. That is it.

People like him, combined with death threats and other bullshit over console wars, seriously just make me want to quit and disappear from the fucking internet. It's not worth it.

Keep up the good work, and put him on your ignore list. No idea how he's still around considering almost all of his posts are conspiracy theory-level rants.

On-topic, I'm glad I waited on the Pro. We have a lot more runway needed before we can reliably count on smooth scaling between the "lower" and "higher" level consoles. Hopefully the Scorpio team is taking notes as we get closer to that launch.

Arulan

Are people really trying to put the blame on Digital Foundry or those who complained prior, on this? It's ridiculous.

The main thing I take away from this is how backwards the closed-platform model continues to be. You can't even use this new hardware the way you want to. You have to hope that the few options the developer happens to implement will fit in line with your preferences, or deal with it.

Given that the platform's nature isn't going to differ, it's on Naught Dog to provide the enough options to satisfy their customers. Perhaps start with expanding past two preset options.

EvB

Are people really trying to put the blame on Digital Foundry or those who complained prior, on this? It's ridiculous.

The main thing I take away from this is how backwards the closed-platform model continues to be. You can't even use this new hardware the way you want to. You have to hope that the few options the developer happens to implement will fit in line with your preferences, or deal with it.

Given that the platform's nature isn't going to differ, it's on Naught Dog to provide the options available to satisfy their customers. Perhaps start with expanding past two preset options.

What you have to understand is , that from a developers point of view, the poor publicity that Digital Foundry generate due to framerate far outweighs the noise that is generated when they comment on shadow quality or AF levels.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
DF are absurd when speaking about fps. When you can see the fps to what they comment on it and your like really? A few fps dip most the time. I can't remember the quotes 1 for 1 but it's always a mole and not a mountain like they make it out to. DF make great videos, but they chat a lot of shit when ever it's fps related. Another great example is their Forza videos.

Why are we blaming DF for this did they write the code? DF are saying that Sony are saying Pro games should not run at a lower framerate than PS4.

This is plain and simply the devs fault here.

I'm so pissed at Naughty Dog for taking out downsampling. What a stupid fucking decision to not leave that as an option. There goes my reason for replaying my favorite game of all time on the PS4 Pro. Unreal and so avoidable.

spwolf

public pressure from such articles certainly made them do it. As to the "backwards" model, people complain about PC game performance all the time. Devs just need to learn how to implement what they think is the best and simply not listen to sometimes clickbaity criticism.

Vashetti

Banned
It literally makes no sense.

Why remove these options for 1080p display users? Performance is identical on a 4K screen.

supersampling is such a nice thing to have and it sucks that it's been taken away, if it's an option then keep it in for those who want to use it.

Popsickles

Fired it up last night and something looks off on 4k screen too. It looks as though the lighting resolution has taken a hit as highlighted edges and shadows at certain angles get very blocky and jaggy. Ill try to post pics later

onQ123

It literally makes no sense.

Why remove these options for 1080p display users? Performance is identical on a 4K screen.

No it's not that is the point of adding the 1080P rendering mode so that it would perform better for the people who don't have a 4K tv.

ghibli99

What you have to understand is , that from a developers point of view, the poor publicity that Digital Foundry generate due to framerate far outweighs the noise that is generated when they comment on shadow quality or AF levels.
But let's not pretend the dev focus on framerate issues is somehow DF's fault. This forum, for one, is still a festering pit of such talk, and in a much more negative and vitriolic way, and has been long before DF had anything to do with it.

Gitaroo

DF had already described what was most likely the cause of the performance hit, ND should lower the resolution to 1440p to get a lock 60fps in all mode. Still a nice super sampled image from 1440p for 1080p tvs.

Izuna

Banned
We don't know for sure at the moment but yes, probably.
There will be a new DF video so we'll see.

... Why wouldn't it be?

No it's not that is the point of adding the 1080P rendering mode so that it would perform better for the people who don't have a 4K tv.

I'm confused. Do you not think that 1800p internal resolution would look much nicer on a 1080p screen?

DF are absurd when speaking about fps. When you can see the fps to what they comment on it and your like really? A few fps dip most the time. I can't remember the quotes 1 for 1 but it's always a mole and not a mountain like they make it out to. DF make great videos, but they chat a lot of shit when ever it's fps related. Another great example is their Forza videos.

The situation was actually far worse. John at DF played through more of the game and encountered drops at every battle and went to down the 40s at times. This isn't worthy of a performance mode, secondly far short of Sony's own guidelines.

I wouldn't be surprised if ND tested it themselves and found those drops to 40 frames and canned it.

thatJohann

Lame move, Naughty Dog.

Guess I don't need to replay this then. Saved myself $20 on this game.

Back to Watch Dogs 2 :)

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Given that the platform's nature isn't going to differ, it's on Naught Dog to provide the enough options to satisfy their customers. Perhaps start with expanding past two preset options.

Doing options ain't cheap when customers, while some would say "yeah, it's on me if I mess my own experience up, expect a ready meal/a polished experience from each option. Adding options adds complexity to development and testing (yes, on PC too... especially PC where the experience tuning is essentially left to driver makers and end users ;)).

I do hope that they do not stop at this knee jerk reaction of a patch and bring SSAA for the 30 FPS Pro mode at least.

Vaga

Nonsense, so people with 4K have worse performance now? What is the fucking point?

The performance was the same whether you have a 1080p or 4K tv. Removing higher resolution supersampling for 1080p sets is completely moronic whatever the reason might be.

Bebpo

Banned
Because they changed the game from only rendering at above 1080P to having a 1080P rendering mode. That 1080P rendering mode is automatic when you have a HDTV.

Supersampling was a bonus side effect from the game only having a 4K TV rendering mode that had to be scaled down for HDTVs.

While I'm with you on this train of thought, the previous patch rendered at both 4k & 1800p rendering outputs on the fly with a toggle (30fps/4k, 60fps/1800p), so I don't understand how they can't have two rendering outputs with the new patch (30fps/4k, 60fps/1080p) ?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The situation was actually far worse. John at DF played through more of the game and encountered drops at every battle and went to down the 40s at times. This isn't worthy of a performance mode, secondly far short of Sony's own guidelines.

I wouldn't be surprised if ND tested it themselves and found those drops to 40 frames and canned it.

Ok, but 30 FPS with SSAA and non broken shadows should have been feasible then.

onQ123

... Why wouldn't it be?

I'm confused. Do you not think that 1800p internal resolution would look much nicer on a 1080p screen?

That has nothing to do with my post. I was telling him that the performance wasn't identical in 4K as it is in 1080P.

Of course the game is going to look better rendered at the higher resolution but the headlines didn't tell you about how the game looked better even for none 4K owners it read....

SYd3Ivb.jpg

so they fixed it so that the game performed better on PS4 Pro than it does on PS4

Melchiah

Guys, I have bad news.
I think ND doesn't want to reintroduce the supersampling.

They edited the old novembre PS Blog article about the Last of Us features on PRO. Before the editing, supersampling was listed.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/11/10/uncharted-4-and-the-last-of-us-remastered-on-ps4-pro/

Game over, I think.

Fuck. I won't be continuing my 3rd playthrough, if it won't be fixed. Truly disappointing, that those who want better quality over performance on 1080p displays, and bought the Pro for it, are completely neglected. It sets a worrying precedent.

Jacob4815

They probably thought the tradeoff of supersampling over performance to not be worth it compared to viewing it on a 4K screen.

Last of Us supersampled on a 1080p TV looks definitely a new game. Night and day difference. I think everybody who played the game before 1.08 can confirm.

So the tradeoff they thought was very inaccurate...

Izuna

Banned
That has nothing to do with my post. I was telling him that the performance wasn't identical in 4K as it is in 1080P.

Of course the game is going to look better rendered at the higher resolution but the headlines didn't tell you about how the game looked better even for none 4K owners it read....

SYd3Ivb.jpg

so they fixed it so that the game performed better on PS4 Pro than it does on PS4

---

I have a question for you.

Don't you think people expect the PS4 Pro to do both? Look better and/or run better? That's what people were expecting, and tbh it's what they deserve.

That aside, the super sampling wasn't a "side effect", it was a feature. There are games such as Titanfall 2 which don't differentiate between the output resolution, and going forward, I'm sure supersampling is going to continue to be a thing.

Furthermore, and unless I'm mistaken, doesn't this mean that if you have a 4KTV and are upscaling to 4K, it still runs worse at the high performance mode?

Vaga

They probably thought the tradeoff of supersampling over performance to not be worth it compared to viewing it on a 4K screen.

The fact that they decided to remove it instead of letting the players decide for themselves seems like a boneheaded thought. And completely unexpected coming from them.

Jacob4815

The fact that they decided to remove it instead of letting the players decide for themselves seems like a boneheaded thought. And completely unexpected coming from them.

Just a reminder, people can vote the idea of a "supersampling toggle" on the ND feedback page.
Feedback is already in the first ranks.
http://feedback.naughtydog.com/foru...ption-to-toggle-supersampling-for-1080p-users

Alternative:
http://feedback.naughtydog.com/foru...ch-1-08-1080p-supersampling-removed-from-30fp

Ferr986

SYd3Ivb.jpg

By basically turning the Pro mode into the a base PS4 mode?

Yeah if that's a fix for you then the Pro seems a really justified purchase.

Thanks god other devs are putting worthile Pro patches.

Top Bottom