• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLOU PRO Patch 1.08 - Supersampling removed from all modes [Up: New DF video]

TrojanAg

Hopefully they bring supersampling back, because the little that I got to play on a 1080p screen was very clean. Too bad because I picked this up last week to try on the Pro and now it is pretty much pointless for me to move forward with another playthrough until they either bring back supersampling or I fork over the money for a 4K set, which probably isn't going to be for another year.

Melchiah

Voted 3 votes on each.

That's exactly what I did as well.

EDIT:
Hopefully they bring supersampling back, because the little that I got to play on a 1080p screen was very clean. Too bad because I picked this up last week to try on the Pro and now it is pretty much pointless for me to move forward with another playthrough until they either bring back supersampling or I fork over the money for a 4K set, which probably isn't going to be for another year.

I'm in the same situation. Bought the Pro on tuesday, and managed to play the game until Bill's town. No point to continue now, and I'm not going to buy a 4K TV in the foreseeable future.

onQ123

Nonsense, so people with 4K have worse performance now? What is the fucking point?

The performance was the same whether you have a 1080p or 4K tv. Removing higher resolution supersampling for 1080p sets is completely moronic whatever the reason might be.

The game internal rendering was the same no matter if you had a HDTV or a 4K TV & there was a video showing that when hooked up to a 1080P TV the game still preformed better on the PS4 than it did on the PS4 Pro so ND set the game to render at 1080P when hooked up to a HDTV to fix that problem.

While I'm with you on this train of thought, the previous patch rendered at both 4k & 1800p rendering outputs on the fly with a toggle (30fps/4k, 60fps/1800p), so I don't understand how they can't have two rendering outputs with the new patch (30fps/4k, 60fps/1080p) ?

Because the PS4 Pro detects if it's hooked up to a 4K TV or a HDTV, at 1st it continued to rendered at the higher resolution & just scale it to 1080P for HDTV but now when a HDTV is detected the game render at 1080P . This is most likely a temporary fix for the HDTV owners so that 1080P isn't worse than on a normal PS4.

Last of Us supersampled on a 1080p TV looks definitely a new game. Night and day difference. I think everybody who played the game before 1.08 can confirm.

So the tradeoff they thought was very inaccurate...

Exactly before the patch this game was so clean it was gorgeous, now it's a shimmery mess. I could two shits about minor frame rate drops.

Melchiah

The game internal rendering was the same no matter if you had a HDTV or a 4K TV & there was a video showing that when hooked up to a 1080P TV the game still preformed better on the PS4 than it did on the PS4 Pro so ND set the game to render at 1080P when hooked up to a HDTV to fix that problem.

Because the PS4 Pro detects if it's hooked up to a 4K TV or a HDTV, at 1st it continued to rendered at the higher resolution & just scale it to 1080P for HDTV but now when a HDTV is detected the game render at 1080P . This is most likely a temporary fix for the HDTV owners so that 1080P isn't worse than on a normal PS4.

How was the performance worse on 1080p displays in the supersampled 30fps mode?

Vaga

Dude, you clearly have no idea what you're saying.

onQ123

By basically turning the Pro mode into the a base PS4 mode?

Yeah if that's a fix for you then the Pro seems a really justified purchase.

Thanks god other devs are putting worthile Pro patches.

No the game is not the same as base mode on a HDTV it has better shadows & better frame rate

Vaga

So if you have a 4K set there is no absolute locked 60fps mode? Performance mode still 1800p?

Seems like it. It's a fucking mess.

This game should have 3 modes regardless of tv set used, plain and simple (last 2 supersampled on 1080p TVs of course)

1080p60
1800p unlocked
2160p30

onQ123

So if you have a 4K set there is no absolute locked 60fps mode? Performance mode still 1800p?

You can check the 1080p output in the display menu of your console & play as if you're on a 1080P TV but I don't think it will be worth it.

sn0man

Seems like it. It's a fucking mess.

This game should have 3 modes regardless of tv set used, plain and simple (last 2 supersampled on 1080p TVs of course)

1080p60
1800p unlocked
2160p30

I'd settle for 1440p for the second option if they thought they could get even closer to 60fps lock. I for the record didn't hate 1800p but it did stutter here and there.

Arttemis

I also voted for both those submissions.

Also, here's to chiming in with the hopes of getting:
1800p @ 30fps
1440p @ 60fps

I mean I guess that's what you get for complaining but why not give us the option? I feel someone should almost go into the previous threads and lambaste each poster who complained.

Vocal minority who complained about frame rates, unfortunately Naughty Dog listened.

However, I'm sure they can fix it with a patch if they're not too busy with UC4 DLC and TLOU2.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
I mean I guess that's what you get for complaining but why not give us the option? I feel someone should almost go into the previous threads and lambaste each poster who complained.

Why in the world would you call out players who raised their concern with the very real framerate drops in the game rather than Naughty Dog, who apparently feel that console players aren't capable of picking between two options?

N311V

Neo Member
I'm pretty disappointed supersampling was removed from both modes. Fair enough that ND had to respond. I suspect Sony may have pressured them due to the noise DF caused about "worse" performance (while DF practically ignored the fact Pro was rendering at much "better" resolution mind you, clicky clicky), but ND should not have removed super-sampling from the 4K 30fps mode. Removing super-sampling all together seems at little spiteful but more than likely ND wanted a quick fix. Shame on both ND and DF for this mess I say.

Hopefully they go back and update this again. Seem like kneejerk reaction to some bad press. There is no excuse for this from first party studio like Naughty Dog when many third party current gen games are making great better use of the Pro.

Jacob4815

I'm confused. What are the modes now?

The same. 4k/30 fps and 1800p/60 fps modes.

The difference now is 1080p native for 1080p users, for both modes.

So, are ND fixing this?

Option to toggle supersampling and give choice to the users is now the most requested fix in the ND feedback list. First and third in the top list of all time. So people are upset, they want it and they are asking hardly for it . We can only hope.
http://feedback.naughtydog.com/forums/260903-the-last-of-us-remastered/filters/top

Christos

So they just removed supersampling from 1080p TVs? The game on 4K TVs remains unchanged? Am I understanding this correctly?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
You can just switch your PS4 TV output to 1080p, and you'll get locked 60FPS mode at the expense of image quality, just like users of regular 1080p TVs. That's another frustrating thing about this patch - 4K TV users get all the possible options, while the 1080p TV owners don't get such choices.

Didn't they completely miss the totally broken shadows and even praised the broken ones in the 30fps mode?
Aren't these "totally broken shadows" more like missing few shadows in a few spots in the game? That's my understanding from what someone posted here about it. Before that no one ever brought that up or noticed it, so no wonder DF people also missed it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I know Tom worked on this all day Sunday and uncovered something interesting. Should have a video at some point today.

Melchiah

Option to toggle supersampling and give choice to the users is now the most requested fix in the ND feedback list. First and third in the top list of all time. So people are upset, they want it and they are asking hardly for it . We can only hope.
http://feedback.naughtydog.com/forums/260903-the-last-of-us-remastered/filters/top

Good to see people voting for it. Hopefully it'll get attention, and be fixed soon.
EDIT: Now they're first and second.

So they removed a previously announced feature, edited said announcement posts and expected nobody to notice?

Yep. It's a really shitty situation for Pro owners with a 1080p display, who were promised supersampling.

I know Tom worked on this all day Sunday and uncovered something interesting. Should have a video at some point today.

I'm intrigued.

Arttemis

Why would you hope for 1800p @ 30fps when the game is already 2160p @30fps?

I'm not sure how changing the 30fps mode from 4K 30fps to 1800p 30fps is supposed to change that.
You're right, I thought it was 1800p upscaled to 4k for both modes with shadow quality being the difference. If the game is capable of 4k@30fps, then it's even more ridiculous for all the supersampling to be eradicated in one patch.

Jacob4815

Yep. It's a really shitty situation for Pro owners with a 1080p display, who were promised supersampling.

Not only promised, this was a real feature!
There were people in the middle of a playthrough who enjoyed this and then, suddenly... puff. Very unfair.

Melchiah

There were people in the middle of a playthrough who enjoyed this and then, suddenly... puff. Very unfair.

Yeah, I'm one of them, and it stings.

EDIT:
You're right, I thought it was 1800p upscaled to 4k for both modes with shadow quality being the difference. If the game is capable of 4k@30fps, then it's even more ridiculous for all the supersampling to be eradicated in one patch.

Yeah, they better bring back 2160@30fps supersampling, 1800@30fps would be a downgrade from what it was.

Kinyou

Vocal minority who complained about frame rates, unfortunately Naughty Dog listened.

However, I'm sure they can fix it with a patch if they're not too busy with UC4 DLC and TLOU2.
I'm not sure if anyone who complained wanted this solution though

score01

This is a clusterfuck. Removal of features that were advertised/promised retrospectively is shitty. They should be offering a refund to 1080p Pro users.

I just don't understand in what universe that these changes would be acceptable.

Arttemis

Yeah, I'm one of them, and it stings.

EDIT:

Yeah, they better bring back 2160@30fps supersampling, 1800@30fps would be a downgrade from what it was.

Agreed.

There was literally no reason to remove the 2160p@30fps supersampling on 1080p devices.
If they're going to address the performance at 60fps, then drop from 1800p to 1440p@60fps.

But to retroactively remove both for 1080p users? That's unnecessary and ridiculous!

That's me, I already played once I'm PS4 and loved how it looked then but this time on the Pro it was just gorgeous how clean it was. Then bam, this shit happens so I stopped playing until they hopefully fix this.

Melchiah

Agreed.

There was literally no reason to remove the 2160p@30fps supersampling on 1080p devices.
If they're going to address the performance at 60fps, then drop from 1800p to 1440p@60fps.

But to retroactively remove both for 1080p users? That's unnecessary and ridiculous!

Those would probably be the best options for both quality and performance camps.

There was absolutely no need to remove the 4K@30fps option from 1080p displays.

Top Bottom