• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLOU PRO Patch 1.08 - Supersampling removed from all modes [Up: New DF video]

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Thanks, Digital Foundry!
Guys lets face it - ND could have handled this better. They are the ones who screwed this up, don't put the blame on DF.

This patch is just totally weird. It disabled the 4K downsampling in the 30FPs mode... why? Who the hell asked for that? It removed a perfectly viable 1800p option and replaced it with no downsampling period in 60FPS mode. Why? Is it really possible that a more steady framerate than on base model, or similar to that, was not possible by downsampling from 1440p?

They made a patch that heavily favors 4K tv owners in the options that are available to them. They can just force their console to 1080p output and play the game at locked 60FPS or use it in 4K 60 mode in 1800p with some drops, or full 4K 30FPS.

On the other hand 1080p TV owners are stuck with just one viable 60FPS locked mode and that's it. 30FPS mode is now practically worthless on 1080TVs, unless you prefer that kind of motion blurred look.

Izuna

Banned
That's it.

We reached a point where I can't answer in this thread without getting banned.

Don't have the patience.

People will defend literally every decision made and it's honestly quite baffling.

Well, eh, thanks extremely framerate sensitive people. Edit: not to offend anyone, but it seemed like a bit of an overreaction to me. That said, I hope the game will reach a point where everybody can be happy. Options would be nice.

The issue is that it ran worse than the PS4. Buying a Pro shouldn't be lower fps but higher IQ with no option. That sort of trade-off for having the "premium" system is insanity. They really should have done further optimising or found how high they could push the Pro without having it run worse than the PS4. Maybe 4xMSAA or something, maybe a lower resolution.

fakeedit: I see etta already mentioned this.

I swear if the Scorpio has any of these teething issues...

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
So for 1080p owners the game has been dehance, back to default.

Izuna

Banned

It also forces the high shadow setting. I don't know if my memory is fuzzy but I remember it having better resolution but in general having missing shadows. That may be made up though... it's been a long time.

It's so silly that the OS resolution selection affects a game's internal resolution.

This patch is just totally weird. It disabled the 4K downsampling in the 30FPs mode... why?
The fact that it's so completely weird is a clue. Why would you have two modes, one of which is only worse? Because you made a mistake.

The obvious intent from the beginning has been to have two settings: high image quality, or high framerate. On a 4K display, it still does that. So the fact that it doesn't provide that any more on a 1080p display must be a bug, not a feature.

I thought the original had frame drops, so it would still be an improvement?
No question mark needed. The PS4 Pro 60fps mode has a higher framerate than base PS4.

SliChillax

So let me see if I understand this. If you have a 4K tv it's either 4K 30fps normal shadows or 1800p 60fps normal shadows. If you have a 1080p TV it's 1080p 60fps and 30fps with better shadows?

RAWRferal

Why is 1800p/60 available to 4k users and supersampling isn't available to 1080p users?

Surely the performance would be identical??

RedAssedApe

Banned
The fact that it's so completely weird is a clue. Why would you have two modes, one of which is only worse? Because you made a mistake.

The obvious intent from the beginning has been to have two settings: high image quality, or high framerate. On a 4K display, it still does that. So the fact that it doesn't provide that any more on a 1080p display must be a bug, not a feature.

No question mark needed. The PS4 Pro 60fps mode has a higher framerate than base PS4.

Yeah I'm gonna give them the benefit of the doubt and say this is a bug. Luckily I have other things to occupy my time with. Can save a third play through of tlou for before part ii heh

noomi

Im very confused by this patch.....the last few pages are people just arguing....

Can someone just tell me what my options are for someone that has a 4k display, please?

*edit*

Nevermind, 4k displays on ps4 pro are unchanged.

sn0man

Yeah, it's the 30fps mode that has always had the broken shadows, and now all 1080p Pro users 60 or 30fps suffer from this now. Which I think is unacceptable. The easy fix for this would be for Naughty Dog to just fix the high quality shadows, or provide more options for Pro users in general.

60fps mode:
http://imgur.com/WM7QJXb

30fps mode (also 60fps at 1080p):
http://imgur.com/4EM4jh4

I've linked the pictures again for reference. I've wanted this issue fixed for literally years, so I'm hoping with this recent controversy, and now that it effects a larger pool of people, that Naughty Dog will finally fix this.

I would love for them to fix it. Sadly I don't know that they have the budget to fix it. I'd settle for option 4 for users.

4.) a 2160p 30fps normal shadows mode.

sn0man

Hi guys, are you able to contact ND for further explanations?
You did a great job, it's not your fault. I hope your support will help to fix this problem too. This is very annoying for all the 1080p users! Supersampling removed for the 30 fps mode is... weird.

It's really sad. It was a reason many of us bought the pro. It was honestly the reason I bought the pro and TLOU-R.

Why is thelastword giving us so much shit so often? I don't get it. He is a genuinely nasty person and often incorrect about what he says.

One of the most insane fanboys I've ever seen. He "interprets" what is being said in every video through his own distorted lens and makes false claims based on what he thinks he is hearing. Usually trolls just drive by post but this guy literally writes novels on completely bogus ideas. He does not want facts. He doesn't. He only cares about painting the PlayStation 4 and all related products in the best light possible. That is it.

People like him, combined with death threats and other bullshit over console wars, seriously just make me want to quit and disappear from the fucking internet. It's not worth it.

Seriously. He loves to claim that we weren't hard enough on Ryse (which I'm sure he has never played and has absolutely no idea about) but, in reality, Tom's TLoU video probably wasn't hard enough of the Pro patch. I sat down and tried to replay through a chunk of it and it's just not smooth at 1800p. It drops under 60 during basically every battle and when smoke and fire start filling the screen you're in the lower 40s. The game already has plenty of slowdown on a base PS4 but it was a lot worse on the Pro. Scenes that were still 60fps on the base could drop down to 55fps but scenes that were dropping to 50fps or worse on the base are even lower on the Pro. THAT is the real issue.

I agree that a 1440p mode might help a lot since clearly 1800p is asking too much of the hardware.

Of course, it just highlights his double-standards once again.

You guys do great stuff and are truly inspirational, don't let people try to bring you down, you do fantastic stuff for the whole gaming community!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Seriously, it must be. I hope they correct it quickly, but it kind of sucks that they are fumbling this. I can understand that they are busy with more important things though, and this must be handled by like one guy in his spare time.

Dunkley

So besides echoing again that games should have the option to be launched in either Base or Pro mode I admit I would appreciate the possibility as well to set the resolution to 4K downscaled to 1080p in the System Options, since besides this Dishonored 2 also only has supersampling down to 1080p if you got a 4K panel and switch the res while running the game.

I know it would make that option for games that already have this option implemented a bit redundant, but it certainly would help satisfy more camps of the PS4 Pro's userbase without having the developers forced to only choose between favoring one camp that say, wants better 1080p performance/visuals while others, like say who want supersampling, are left dissatisfied.

Ricky_R

I keep getting into this thread with the hope that ND will release a patch to introduce downsampling again, but I REALLY doubt it will happen.

I think that's that.

geordiemp

What ever options that are given, I think its important to offer a capped and locked 60 FPS for games that can do it.

Sub 60 is not 60 for people that are sensitive to dips.

I play on a 4K tv but prefer a locked 60 everytime.

Jacob4815

Guys, I have bad news.
I think ND doesn't want to reintroduce the supersampling.

They edited the old novembre PS Blog article about the Last of Us features on PRO. Before the editing, supersampling was listed.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/11/10/uncharted-4-and-the-last-of-us-remastered-on-ps4-pro/

However, those using PS4 Pro with a standard high-definition (1080p) display will also benefit. Uncharted 4 will render at the highest resolution and downscale the super-sampled image to 1080p, resulting in noticeably crisp and smooth graphics. Meanwhile, The Last of Us Remastered will feature high-quality shadows while maintaining a high level of performance.*

*This post has been updated to reflect a change with regards to PS4 Pro’s benefits for The Last of Us Remastered running on standard 1080p displays. For more information on the update, visit this link.

Game over, I think.

Sanjay

DF are absurd when speaking about fps. When you can see the fps to what they comment on it and your like really? A few fps dip most the time. I can't remember the quotes 1 for 1 but it's always a mole and not a mountain like they make it out to. DF make great videos, but they chat a lot of shit when ever it's fps related. Another great example is their Forza videos.

DF are absurd when speaking about fps. When you can see the fps to what they comment on it and your like really? A few fps dip most the time. I can't remember the quotes 1 for 1 but it's always a mole and not a mountain like they make it out to. DF make great videos, but they chat a lot of shit when ever it's fps related. Another great example is their Forza videos.
People have varying sensitivities to framerate drops. Deal with it.

TGO

I thought the original had frame drops, so it would still be an improvement?
The frame drops wasn't even that noticeable so thr improvement isn't either, what is is that the game got a IQ boost in PRO for 1080p users and 4k and is now "for 1080p users" the same as it was when it launched, what's worse is this is a Remaster.
Seems even Naughty Gods aren't immune from fucking up a simple Remaster

Jacob4815

I updated the first post.
I would like to change the title, the current is inaccurate.

OT

I PM'ed two mods but they didn't answer me. I'm not very expert on these things.. what can I do to change the title? Thanks!

Guys, I have bad news.
I think ND doesn't want to reintroduce the supersampling.

They edited the old novembre PS Blog article about the Last of Us features on PRO. Before the editing, supersampling was listed.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/11/10/uncharted-4-and-the-last-of-us-remastered-on-ps4-pro/

Game over, I think.

Fuck you Naughty Dog why couldn't you wait like 2 weeks to do this I'm in the middle of my 3rd play through and now I don't even want to finish cause of this.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
I would love for them to fix it. Sadly I don't know that they have the budget to fix it. I'd settle for option 4 for users.

4.) a 2160p 30fps normal shadows mode.
Don't quote me on this as I may be misremembering, but weren't the missing shadows in 30fps mode a result of switching the setting in game, and restarting restored them?

Why is 1800p/60 available to 4k users and supersampling isn't available to 1080p users?

Surely the performance would be identical??
Yes the performance is the same, but it's not solid 60fps. The high-framerate mode at 1080p is the best framerate available for the game, better than base PS4. It's a little unexpected that they dropped all the way to 1080p for it, but nevertheless this mode is exactly how a "high framerate" toggle should work.

On a 4K display, they still compromise between framerate and IQ even at "high framerate", presumably to toss a bone to owners of expensive TVs. I don't agree with this decision, but I see the impetus.

The frame drops wasn't even that noticeable so thr improvement isn't either, what is is that the game got a IQ boost in PRO for 1080p users and 4k and is now "for 1080p users" the same as it was when it launched, what's worse is this is a Remaster.
Seems even Naughty Gods aren't immune from fucking up a simple Remaster
No humans are immune from fucking up anything, and expecting folks to be perfect will drive you mad. What you should judge is how they respond to their inevitable mistakes. We'll see.

And while the framerate drops at 1800p60 may not be noticeable to you, they are significant. It is not just 1 or 2 frames here and there. The drops are bigger and happen pretty often.

Alej

Banned
So adding SS for 1080p games is more complicated than we first thought.

No. It isn't.

Naughty Dog created a 1080p/30fps mode for this game, and it comes without SS, that's it. The reason why is unknown at this stage.

Maybe they think downsampling is less visible than 4K and prefer better performance at 1080p than downsampling from 4K. It's odd but it's their choice (or mistake).

TGO

No humans are immune from fucking up anything, and expecting folks to be perfect will drive you mad. What you should judge is how they respond to their inevitable mistakes. We'll see.

And while the framerate drops at 1800p60 may not be noticeable to you, they are significant. It is not just 1 or 2 frames here and there. The drops are bigger and happen pretty often.
I mean the Base PS4 game not Pro, for 1080p sets it might as well not be a Pro patch game because it does nothing.
Are the problems fixed when displaying 4k?
If so why remove the supersampling?
It's as bad as that Assassins Creed Syndicate Pro patch that does nothing

Well this is bullshit, hope this isn't the case for games going forward.

Better IQ on a 1080p display was one of the main reasons I bought the Pro.

Well this is bullshit, hope this isn't the case for games going forward.

Better IQ on a 1080p display was one of the main reasons I bought the Pro.

That was the reason I bought one and many titles justified my purchase of it and TLOU was one of them until this patch. I just played the part where
Joel was a sniper picking off people while Sam, Henry and Ellie were coming towards him
and it was a shimmery mess. I noticed that more that frame rate drops.

RootCause

Disappointing to say the least. Really wanted to try it out, but thats impossible now. Guess no pro for now. Maybe I'll get it, depending how GG handles Horizon.

Was it really hard to have three options?
1080P( with best shadows)
1800P@60
4k@30

Top Bottom