• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLOU PRO Patch 1.08 - Supersampling removed from all modes [Up: New DF video]

RAWRferal

What? you talk as if the OG PS4 somehow look better than PS4 Pro at 1080p

I was responding to the comment about buying the PS4 Pro for bells & whistles at 1080p. double the frame rate seem like bells & whistles to me, I'm not saying it was a better trade off I'm just saying that PS4 Pro still has bells & whistles for 1080p owners.

Funny how people went on about how they would rather have 1080P 60fps over 4K months ago when they 1st heard about the PS4 Pro but when a dev give them locked 60fps at 1080p no one seem to be happy about it & ignore that it even exist.

Most likely there is some head room left over from not using a brute force AA solution like super sampling & they can still clean up the game.

I think the problem is that this game already runs at 1080p/60 on the OG PS4, simply improving the shadows is not a huge improvement, especially on a last gen remaster, especially when you have games Like BF1 and co. showing way more dramatic improvements at 1080p over the OG PS4.

Coupled with the fact that a 4k/60 option is available, there is seemingly no reason why they wouldn't make this available to 1080p users, especially as they did before and they've now seemingly fixed the performance in said mode.

It reeks of something else, especially with the removal of the mention of supersampling in a blog post and also the now current deletion of these request/vote posts on ND's website.

So yeah, there is an improvement I guess you're right, but not nearly as much as we KNOW is already possible and all the options are not available to us, like some other games.

Yeah removing the supersampling option was a bad move by ND, especially since they have improved the framerate of the 60fps mode.

If anyone from ND is reading this, please give us the supersampling 60fps option.

ghibli99

I'm a 4K user, but I'm going with the supersampling issue being bad judgment on ND's part, not some Sony conspiracy to move 4K TVs. It sucks, but I expect it'll be addressed in a quick patch.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
The only thing coming to mind about this would be a 1080p enhanced mode (with better effects, etc). But that's not the case here, and it sounds dumb to purposely make a 1080p mode without enhancement over a default 1800c framebuffer for everyone with a pro.

So, it makes absolutely no sense.
Aren't you supposed to be banned?

You lost the bet :eek:

black070

No, it's the same level of jaggies on the both versions.
Small gain on the framerate on the pro (was nearly perfect on the OG) and better shadows. Supersampling was really nice.

What ? Lol. In terms of framerate, it's Pro 1080p 60fps > Pro 1800p 60fps > Base PS4 1080p 60fps.

A locked 60 is no small gain.

Flandy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn8H0vOfIL0

There is Tom's video. Now you can stop blaming DF for this issue.

Naughty Dog COMPLETELY fixed the frame-rate when running at 1800p (the 4K mode). It's buttery smooth and better than it has ever been.

They didn't remove super-sampling to improve performance. That is the take-away here. They actually went in and solved the real problem.

Which completely changes this issue - why on earth would they remove super-sampling if they solved the performance problems then? THAT is what does not make any sense. IT's either a bug or...I dunno, I can't explain it. It is wrong of them to do that. They definitely dropped the ball here.

I still think Sony needs to implement this feature at an OS level and let users decide for all games.

I have to ask
Why are you guys using 2160pRGB?
Isn't Auto option the best as it'll switch between the settings which is especially useful for HDR content since it looks worse with RGB than 4:2:0 or 4:2:2

So they fixed the framerate drops at 1800p, but took away supersampling at 1080p. Dat sucks.

yeah, that's what makes no sense. If the 4K mode at 1800p has been fixed and is running without issues, why not let it run at 1800p for 1080p pro TVs? The current 1080p mode with so called better shadows is a downgrade IMO.

Arttemis

Naughty Dog COMPLETELY fixed the frame-rate when running at 1800p (the 4K mode). It's buttery smooth and better than it has ever been.

They didn't remove super-sampling to improve performance. That is the take-away here. They actually went in and solved the real problem.

Which completely changes this issue - why on earth would they remove super-sampling if they solved the performance problems then? THAT is what does not make any sense. IT's either a bug or...I dunno, I can't explain it. It is wrong of them to do that. They definitely dropped the ball here.

I still think Sony needs to implement this feature at an OS level and let users decide for all games.
This. So much this. What the hell? They removed the bullet point from the article, so it was clearly not an accident... So WHY punish 1080p Pro users!?!?

Jacob4815

So, probably they removed the feedback threads because of this rule:

PLEASE make sure that no one else has reported your issue or bug BEFORE posting a new issue.

But they removed the threads with more than 500 votes,while the spam and CAPS locked one is still here... Bah.

What ? Lol. In terms of framerate, it's Pro 1080p 60fps > Pro 1800p 60fps > Base PS4 1080p 60fps.

A locked 60 is no small gain.

Please, the OG ps4 version was not so bad. Have you played the game or just read the DF analysis?
Anyways, I think we all want the same things: CHOICES for the users (4K,1800p,1080p, locked-unlocked framerates, shadows ....)

thatJohann

This is sarcasm right? Does 't WD2 run at 30 on consoles?

No sarcasm. Watch Dogs 2 runs at a locked 30fps WITH supersampling on the Pro on a 1080p set and it looks stunning. Best looking game outside of Uncharted 4.

So, what I'm saying is that those of us with 1080p displays very much enjoy the supersampling and it's a shame that ND removed supersampling from TLoU with this patch as it defeats the purpose of owning a Pro with a 1080p set.

Jacob4815

In the DF article there's an interesting note on a device to access 4k content on a 1080p TV.
It's very expensive but... interesting.
We discussed about this yesterday, and they write an article to provide details so.. thanks DF :)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...-us-remastered-patch-108-for-ps4-pro-analysed

Some players with 1080p displays have asked if there is any way to access PS4 Pro game modes only available on 4K screens - specifically down-sampling modes like those stripped from TLOUR. Yes there is, we've tested it and it works - but it is somewhat expensive. You'll need a device known as the HD Linker. It's designed to enable UHD functionality on 1080p screens but that's just one of its many functions.

Users connect the HD Linker between the Pro and a 1080p display and it's powered via USB. The Pro sees that it's attached to an HDCP 2.2-compliant display and the Linker effectively downscales the Pro's 4K output to full HD. We've tested it on a Pro attached to a Panasonic VT20 plasma display and it works just fine - 4K functionality is accessible from the video output settings menu as per normal, even though a full HD screen is attached.

As the Pro believes it is attached to an HDCP 2.2-compliant screen, you can also access non-gaming features too - such as the ultra HD encodes on Netflix, giving an almost Blu-ray-like presentation. At $199, it's effectively half the cost of the console itself so we mean it when we say that it's expensive - but it does do the job.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Yep! The HD Linker is obviously a nuclear option at $199. It's handy, in that it taps into these other rendering modes on PS4 Pro - meaning supersampling in The Last Guardian on a 1080p screen. It's a hack, and really, it'd be better to just have an option in the PS4 front-end to force a '4k' mode.

In the DF article there's an interesting note on a device to access 4k content on a 1080p TV.
It's very expensive but... interesting.
We discussed about this yesterday, and they write an article to provide details so.. thanks DF :)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...-us-remastered-patch-108-for-ps4-pro-analysed
That's a shitty solution. It could also introduce unnecessary input lag (the console scaler is always faster/better).

I had to buy Dr. HDMI, just because Sony refused to let me force LPCM 7.1 in the HDMI output... the PS3 does this without extra hardware.

i left my ps4 on rest mode by accident. crap! i can't undo patch 1.08.

i'm glad i was able to enjoy and finish it before the patch. looked nice super sampled.

no jaggies.

Autofokus

A great patch for 4K TV users and a big 'fuck you' to people with 1080p sets (like me).

20hagy9dwbgisiks4m.gif

And the ND support/feedback site is a joke. I voted yesterday on that very topic which seems to be deleted. Way to go ND. Overall extremely disappointed.

Just to be clear, it was a joke on my part.
But seriously, what good reason could ND have for this nonsense, if anything?
It's a quick and dirty fix to tackle fps drops. That's all.

You do realize that they have a lot on their plate, don't ya? Proper optimization takes time.

Izuna

Banned
I find this more insulting and annoying than the patch itself.
You guys have seen nothing yet... ND MP fans have to suffer through this shit on a constant basis. :)

ND gonna ND. They always allocate the majority of their manpower/resources to newer projects (LL & TLOU2), not old ones (TLOU1 & UC4).

IBCreepin

Neo Member
They seemed to have removed the feedback post I made on Naughty Dog's site and it is now "Pending moderator approval." It was at 623 votes before they removed it.

A few more posts have popped up since and I suggest everyone vote on them as well if able:

http://feedback.naughtydog.com/forums/260903-the-last-of-us-remastered/suggestions/17325031-supersampling-was-awesomlesssss-game-looks-amazing

http://feedback.naughtydog.com/forums/260903-the-last-of-us-remastered/suggestions/17325604-last-of-us-pro-how-can-i-remove-patch-1-08-and-r

Jacob4815

They seemed to have removed the feedback post I made on Naughty Dog's site and it is now "Pending moderator approval." It was at 623 votes before they removed it.

A few more posts have popped up since and I suggest everyone vote on them as well if able:

http://feedback.naughtydog.com/forums/260903-the-last-of-us-remastered/suggestions/17325031-supersampling-was-awesomlesssss-game-looks-amazing

http://feedback.naughtydog.com/forums/260903-the-last-of-us-remastered/suggestions/17325604-last-of-us-pro-how-can-i-remove-patch-1-08-and-r

Not only yours. They removed all the most voted on the supersampling issue.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
It's a quick and dirty fix to tackle fps drops. That's all.

You do realize that they have a lot on their plate, don't ya? Proper optimization takes time.

Except they fixed the FPS drops AT 4K then removed super sampling from all 1080p modes even the ones that were functioning properly.

So they went with their full plates and got seconds just to dump part of them in the trash for unknown reasons.

Ya should be able to understand this is a silly way to resolve this. Yes?

Naughty Gods my ass.

Lol.

Anyway, when I click on the TLOU remastered forum topic, I can still see topics concerning the removal of supersampling. So I'm not sure what you guys are talking about. Are we trying to manufacture some new outrage now that Hello Games seems in the clear again?

Except they fixed the FPS drops AT 4K then removed super sampling from all 1080p modes even the ones that were functioning properly.

So they went with their full plates and got seconds just to dump part of them in the trash for unknown reasons.

Ya should be able to understand this is a silly way to resolve this. Yes?
You are the one who doesn't understand that ND has a lot of stuff to work on (UC4 MP roadmap, The Lost Legacy, TLOU part 2). Not my fault if you don't follow them closely.

I never said it's a proper fix. Ya should be able to understand the definition of a quick & dirty fix. Yes?

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
You are the one who doesn't understand that ND has a lot of stuff to work on (UC4 MP roadmap, The Lost Legacy, TLOU part 2). Not my fault if you don't follow them closely.

I never said it's a proper fix. Ya should be able to understand the definition of a quick & dirty fix. Yes?

The issue I'm having that you don't seem to understand for reasons that I can only speculate on is...

It's not a fix at all for the problem you specified. Supersampling performs the same as the 4K mode because it's under the same load. This isn't asking more of the hardware than that. ND fixed the frame rate issues at 4K. Therefore, the supersampled mode is also fixed.

Then ND went that extra mile and disabled it for no apparent reason.

Jacob4815

Lol.

Anyway, when I click on the TLOU remastered forum topic, I can still see topics concerning the removal of supersampling. So I'm not sure what you guys are talking about. Are we trying to manufacture some new outrage now that Hello Games seems in the clear again?

The feedback site, not the official forum.
http://feedback.naughtydog.com/forums/260903-the-last-of-us-remastered

No outrage here, today the removals were documented. You can try to click on the links in the first post of this topic. They removed them.

If they will return available, we'll be glad to update the situation. I love Naughty Dog, my favorite SH.

Top Bottom