• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLOU PRO Patch 1.08 - Supersampling removed from all modes [Up: New DF video]

N311V

Neo Member
With all the noise you guys are making im sure ND will put things right with you guys. Makes no sense to give that to players then completely remove it. Especially for a few fps.

Is it a lot of noise? I'm clearly a junior member so have no clue how noisy this thread is.

thelastword

Banned
Naughty Dog has essentially created FOUR distinct modes for the game to run in now, but they're locking them away from the end user purely by their choice of TV. I've never seen anything like it.

I can only hope that in the coming days we'll get a statement from them that basically amounts to "Oops, there was a typo in the code, we're fixing it lol", because the current situation is baffling.

That's what makes it so infuriating. The 1080p Pro owners are essentially second class customers at the moment.

Very disappointing if this is going to be a common practice now. I mainly bought my pro for the extra bells and whistles in 1080p but if they're going to be removed I might as well sell my pro!

Come on now, do you guys realize that all the noise, all the pitchforks stemmed from "The pro is performing worse than the PS4 in 60fps mode" and nothing else, no talk of the rez is better, no talk of the supersampling benefits to 1080p users. The whole conversation became a warcry in lieu of some leaked documentation.......

That is not to say, that DF was wrong to bring the framerate issues to light, but the way it was done and the fact that they portrayed it as a trend when it was not was definitely not the correct way to bring such things to the attention of a developer, many games have been fixed without the clickbaity approach and for a dev like ND, I'm sure they would fix the issues with a simple tweet or a thread where the issues was pointed out the issue with some level of civility.

Even now, people want to lose their marbles, when I'm sure supersampling is going to be fixed too. It's actually unfair observing this see-saw affair here. Lets be clear, and I reiterate, all the noise was to fix framerate..."frames below 60 is jarring, it's worse than PS4 OG etc..", now we have a locked 60fps with better visuals (shadows), absolutely locked 60fps with no dips in the most stressful part on OG PS4....... So we should be seeing a favourable response? no, instead we start to raise pitchforks at something we never highlighted as a positive and pro bonus previously, why? because we were too busy talking about unplayable framerates or way worse framerates on the Pro.

Before anybody jumbles up my words, I want to make it clear that I want supersampling for 1080p guys just like anybody else, but we have to give the devs some slack here. They are offering a locked 60fps at 1080p with better visuals, what DF mandated was suppose to be done was done, hell, they have a better performing game also and a better looking game over OG PS4 at 1800p 60fps, and third, they have a much better looking game at 4k 30fps without a dream of a dip on the Pro over OG PS4. How is that for living up to the SONY mandate? So no, you can't raise pitch forks again, when they've done everything you've asked. You can ask about the downsampling and bring it to their attention, it most probably is something they forgot to check back in being the busy guys that they are, but there is certainly no reason for anyone to have pitchforks...I mean people are actually saying that ND is giving them the finger by giving them a 1080 locked 60fps with better shadows, this is straight bonkers.....Didn't people see the other thread where people were asking for just that, or hell, OG PS4 60fps mode as an option....? I just can can't believe.......

Again, I'm sure this will be fixed, but I wish all the vested interest here would happen for games that actually have abysmal framerates and woeful IQ with below low graphical settings...yeah, I'd be on that train.....

No, it's the same level of jaggies on the both versions.
Small gain on the framerate on the pro (was nearly perfect on the OG) and better shadows. Supersampling was really nice.
60fps locked means, you're doing 75-90fps as a rule. The jaggies are not worse on the Pro version and that jives with the mandate as per the leaked document. Hell, visuals are even better because of the shadows.

After seeing the DF video I can't fathom why they'd render at 1080 native.
To lock 60fps and apply best shadows so nobody can say that OG is better "that there's judder or lower controller response et al."

A great patch for 4K TV users and a big 'fuck you' to people with 1080p sets (like me).

And the ND support/feedback site is a joke. I voted yesterday on that very topic which seems to be deleted. Way to go ND. Overall extremely disappointed.
Case in point....SMH...You dont' need to tear ND's house down to put back downsampling in this game. You tear their house down if you were gaming at 1080p 60fps and they've suddenly made it 720p 30fps or some sort of blasphemy....I'm pretty sure they are aware, even by the many persons who tweeted or the ND employees who frequently read GAF. You don't need to create a million threads on their forums either, they did not "eff up" the game, that it requires such rage and end of the world overreactions.

ghibli99

I don't believe anyone thinks it's free. You're rendering the image at a higher resolution than native and scaling it down to the native monitor resolution for a cleaner image with more detail and less aliasing.

I doubt you're losing anything noticeable from the point a frame is done rendering and then scaled down to the output resolution to the monitor.
Right, the top part is obvious. The bolded is what I'm curious about, and is the part I don't see being discussed much. If it doesn't really matter, fine, but it would seem like there would be some hit when reducing 8.3m pixels to 2.1m 30-60 times per second.

Jacob4815

Is it a lot of noise? I'm clearly a junior member so have no clue how noisy this thread is.

ND knows that people are upset and they want a fix. Probably they need time for a new patch. However, I'm a bit surprised by the lack of communication.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
ND knows that people are upset and they want a fix. Probably they need time for a new patch. However, I'm a bit surprised by the lack of communication.
I wonder how many people they have available for TLoUR Pro support. With all of their other projects right now it may very well just be one or two people that have to figure out what needs to be done before getting started.

Jacob4815

I wonder how many people they have available for TLoUR Pro support. With all of their other projects right now it may very well just be one or two people that have to figure out what needs to be done before getting started.

I agree, a support for a potential next patch is problematic.
And probably only one or two people were committed with 1.08.

Venuspower

I read somewhere, that there is one person working on that (correct me if I am wrong).

If I am right the new patch fixed the performance problems in most cases.
The only problem people now have is missing downsampling with 1080p screens?

Since the core problem (performance) is now fixed it should be easy for them to add a feature which allows the player to switch between the different modes incl. activte/deactivate downsampling for 1080p screens.
And everyone should be happy then.

VICI0US

well, so much for the pro benefiting standard HD tv owners. was going to finally play through the DLC. guess i'll keep waiting until this gets fixed or I upgrade to a 4k TV.

Venuspower

They should remove the 1080p@30FPS mode sicne it doesn't bring any advantage now on PS4 PRO or at least add supersampling for it.

For PS4 PRO it is useless now. But the standard PS4 still "needs" that mode.

It's not fixed with a downgrade.

Hm? I thought they fixed the 1800p@60FPS Mode?
After what I saw it runs much better than before and even better than the 1080p@60FPS on the standard PS4.

And TLoU:R doesn't use checkerboard at all, neither for 1800p nor for 2160p, let alone 1080p.

fixed it.
Thanks.

thuway

Man the 1800p mode was quite an amazing accomplishment. Sigh.

Naughty Dog should just implement the following options:

1. Resolution - 1080p, Checkerboard, 4K Native
2. Framerate - Locked, Unlocked

That's it. No reason to lock users behind barriers and this keeps things easy.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Hm? I thought they fixed the 1800p@60FPS Mode?
After what I saw it runs much better than before and even better than the 1080p@60FPS on the standard PS4.
For 1080p users, they didn't fix much. Mainly just added in glitchy shadows and claimed it was an even trade for removing super sampling.

onQ123

well, so much for the pro benefiting standard HD tv owners. was going to finally play through the DLC. guess i'll keep waiting until this gets fixed or I upgrade to a 4k TV.

The game has 2X the frame rate in HQ shadow mode with no dips below 60fps (from what we know)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

That's it. No reason to lock users behind barriers and this keeps things easy.
The game doesn't use checkerboard at all.

Autofokus

Case in point....SMH...You dont' need to tear ND's house down to put back downsampling in this game. You tear their house down if you were gaming at 1080p 60fps and they've suddenly made it 720p 30fps or some sort of blasphemy....I'm pretty sure they are aware, even by the many persons who tweeted or the ND employees who frequently read GAF. You don't need to create a million threads on their forums either, they did not "eff up" the game, that it requires such rage and end of the world overreactions.

What the hell are you talking about?
Yeah, I'm sure they are aware. Read the announcement post, the now-edited PS Blog (US) post and the fact that they deleted a well-written issue report with the by far most votes on their own support site. Everything points to a deliberate choice. You tell me why I should be happy (as a 1080p user) about that.

Jacob4815

Infamous: Second Son has these options:
1. Highest Resolution/Highest framerate
2. Framerate Locked/Unlocked.

4 combinations.

It's perfect.

Venuspower

For 1080p users, they didn't fix much. Mainly just added in glitchy shadows and claimed it was an even trade for removing super sampling.

Yes, thats right. But people were complaining about that 1800p mode a few weeks ago..
And that is the "core problem" I was talking about. If they activate that feature for 1080p users again everything should be fine (with super sampling ofc).

Jacob4815

What the hell are you talking about?
Yeah, I'm sure they are aware. Read the announcement post, the now-edited PS Blog (US) post and the fact that they deleted a well-written issue report with the by far most votes on their own support site. Everything points to a deliberate choice. You tell me why I should be happy (as a 1080p user) about that.

The rubbish feedback
SUPERSAMPLING WAS AWESOMLESSSSS GAME LOOKS AMAZING PLEASSSSSSSSEEEEEE GIVE 1800P SUPERSAMPLING OPTION BACK PLEASSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!

More than 300 votes now. LOL.

pikesatthehornburgepiegrf7.gif

Can you just reinstall it without the new patch or just not download it ?

If so just play the single player without update and just update when/if you play online.

N311V

Neo Member
Can you just reinstall it without the new patch or just not download it ?

If so just play the single player without update and just update when/if you play online.

No mate. Pro support came with patch 1.07 so when you install you'd need to update. Can't choose which patch to use so you'd get 1.08 whether you like it or not.

sn0man

That is not to say, that DF was wrong to bring the framerate issues to light, but the way it was done and the fact that they portrayed it as a trend when it was not was definitely not the correct way to bring such things to the attention of a developer, many games have been fixed without the clickbaity approach and for a dev like ND, I'm sure they would fix the issues with a simple tweet or a thread where the issues was pointed out the issue with some level of civility.

Even now, people want to lose their marbles, when I'm sure supersampling is going to be fixed too. It's actually unfair observing this see-saw affair here. Lets be clear, and I reiterate, all the noise was to fix framerate..."frames below 60 is jarring, it's worse than PS4 OG etc..", now we have a locked 60fps with better visuals (shadows), absolutely locked 60fps with no dips in the most stressful part on OG PS4....... So we should be seeing a favourable response? no, instead we start to raise pitchforks at something we never highlighted as a positive and pro bonus previously, why? because we were too busy talking about unplayable framerates or way worse framerates on the Pro.

Before anybody jumbles up my words, I want to make it clear that I want supersampling for 1080p guys just like anybody else, but we have to give the devs some slack here. They are offering a locked 60fps at 1080p with better visuals, what DF mandated was suppose to be done was done, hell, they have a better performing game also and a better looking game over OG PS4 at 1800p 60fps, and third, they have a much better looking game at 4k 30fps without a dream of a dip on the Pro over OG PS4. How is that for living up to the SONY mandate? So no, you can't raise pitch forks again, when they've done everything you've asked. You can ask about the downsampling and bring it to their attention, it most probably is something they forgot to check back in being the busy guys that they are, but there is certainly no reason for anyone to have pitchforks...I mean people are actually saying that ND is giving them the finger by giving them a 1080 locked 60fps with better shadows, this is straight bonkers.....Didn't people see the other thread where people were asking for just that, or hell, OG PS4 60fps mode as an option....?

Do you have a link to an article that DF made that troubles you in its tone? I thought they've been very even handed.

I do agree with you that we should be lauding the 1080p performance. It seems so far to be the real deal. Though as has been said, the shadow issues are kind of off putting for some.

I think in regards to people being up in arms the problem resides with NDs lack of response to 1080p tv owners. I know a fair few of us have had something we really liked taken away from us. I played 1.07 on a 100" 1080p projector with a friend. We played PS3, then unpatched then 1.07 on a PS4 Pro. The jump was staggering each time and it would be a really poor move by naughty dog not to bring that back for us.

I agree with you that we need to give them time but a simple, we hear you and we are looking into it would be great.

Personally, Christmas is coming and my fiancée and I were hoping to play with the vastly higher resolution solution.

sn0man

Does anyone (game developers lurking are welcome) if the ability to add toggles and features to the UI are quite difficult? I assume it requires some certification that possibly ND doesn't want to pay for.

Maybe that was the reason we didn't get more / different options.

My hope is it isn't a significant cost issue just a time issue and a more fully featured set of options are coming for this game.

Come on now, do you guys realize that all the noise, all the pitchforks stemmed from "The pro is performing worse than the PS4 in 60fps mode" and nothing else, no talk of the rez is better, no talk of the supersampling benefits to 1080p users. The whole conversation became a warcry in lieu of some leaked documentation.......

This argument doesn't really fly, because patch 1.08 actually fixes the framerate in the 1800p mode. Naughty Dog did the work. It's not a perfectly-locked 60, but it's as good or better than the original 1080p60 mode that a regular PS4 Pro has access to. Thus, on this newest patch, performance in both the 30FPS mode and the 60FPS mode are on par with, if not better than the game running on original PS4 hardware, and both are massively supersampled. It ticks all the boxes.

But ONLY if you own a 4K TV. They've cut out supersampling for 1080p TV owners for no reason whatsoever; it has absolutely nothing to do with any 'worse than the original PS4' stuff. My PS4 Pro is exactly as powerful as anyone else's, but I'm locked out of the above-1080p modes because I don't have the right TV.

Izuna

Banned
how. are. people. still. defending. this.

Everything DF talked about... Pro ver. having lower fps than Base PS4, is no longer there. The 1800p mode now runs better, while looking better. The fact that it's locked away by some stupid idea that you need to set your output resolution to 4K is literally indefensible by this point.

There is no "they did it for better performance" anymore.

Hopefully another patch soon. I'm really itching for another play through. ND are the kings of listening. I'm still under the assumption that as they are first party they couldn't have the game running inconsistent with the "pro versions run the same as of ps4" mantra so it's gone until downscaling can be tweaked enough to be almost a flawless 60.

ValfarHL

It's a quick and dirty fix to tackle fps drops. That's all.

You do realize that they have a lot on their plate, don't ya? Proper optimization takes time.

Yeah, I get that part. But almost every console game ever has fps drops. It was a pretty radical step to take against something that most people didn't mind..

Also the closing of threads on the official forums, and no statement from ND makes the whole situation extra iffy.

Arttemis

Before anybody jumbles up my words, I want to make it clear that I want supersampling for 1080p guys just like anybody else, but we have to give the devs some slack here. They are offering a locked 60fps at 1080p with better visuals, what DF mandated was suppose to be done was done, hell, they have a better performing game also and a better looking game over OG PS4 at 1800p 60fps, and third, they have a much better looking game at 4k 30fps without a dream of a dip on the Pro over OG PS4. How is that for living up to the SONY mandate? So no, you can't raise pitch forks again, when they've done everything you've asked. You can ask about the downsampling and bring it to their attention, it most probably is something they forgot to check back in being the busy guys that they are, but there is certainly no reason for anyone to have pitchforks...I mean people are actually saying that ND is giving them the finger by giving them a 1080 locked 60fps with better shadows, this is straight bonkers.....Didn't people see the other thread where people were asking for just that, or hell, OG PS4 60fps mode as an option....? I just can can't believe.......

Again, I'm sure this will be fixed, but I wish all the vested interest here would happen for games that actually have abysmal framerates and woeful IQ with below low graphical settings...yeah, I'd be on that train.....

60fps locked means, you're doing 75-90fps as a rule. The jaggies are not worse on the Pro version and that jives with the mandate as per the leaked document. Hell, visuals are even better because of the shadows.

To lock 60fps and apply best shadows so nobody can say that OG is better "that there's judder or lower controller response et al."

What the hell? How are you defending this action? The performance issues are fixed to be better in 1800p@60fps, but they removed access to the supersampling from 1080p users. The performance in 4K@30fps was always rock solid, yet they removed access to the supersampling from 1080p users.

There's no defending this. They didn't save 1080p users from worse performance, they just stripped away a powerful functionality.

These options really require a system-level toggle, and ND really needs to provide options for resolution within their own games.

Criticizing people for complaining about a technical issue within their technical message boards? Over three or four threads? What the hell?

So as a 1080p owner WE ARE GETTING FUCKED ON!

Its that simple.

And no I'm not interested in 4k @ 30fps downsampled.

I would like the 1800p @ 60fps downsampled (DF says more or less locked at this resolution on 4K TV's) and there is no fucking excuse other than fucking us. Looks like Sony are forcing this to increase sales of 4k TV's which is ludicrous because who says I'd buy a Sony tv?

What other reasonable explanation is there to this?

/rant.

edit:
This was after watching the last DF video

black070

So as a 1080p owner WE ARE GETTING FUCKED ON!

Its that simple.

And no I'm not interested in 4k @ 30fps downsampled.

I would like the 1800p @ 60fps downsampled (DF says more or less locked at this resolution on 4K TV's) and there is no fucking excuse other than fucking us. Looks like Sony are forcing this to increase sales of 4k TV's which is ludicrous because who says I'd buy a Sony tv?

What other reasonable explanation is there to this?

/rant.

edit:
This was after watching the last DF video

It's at average the same or higher then the base PS4, but locked at 60 on 1080p screens, so you're not at complete loss.. and yeah, Sony's really forcing you to buy one of their 4K TV's here - get real.

To be fair, there are many games where it does benefit standaard TV owners. Including this one, as it has a more consistent 60 fps and better shadows than the OG version. Not that supersampling should be removed of course, it's a shame it happened.

I really hope Sony implements a toggle on system level.

It's at average the same or higher then the base PS4, but locked at 60 on 1080p screens, so you're not at complete loss.. and yeah, Sony's really forcing you to buy one of their 4K TV's here - get real.

I never said they are forcing 'me' to buy one of 'their' tvs but I did 'insinuate' it looks like they are trying to increase the sales of their own tvs 'for those who will buy a Sony TV and have a playstation' which who knows how many of those there are? Imaging there are 40m ps4 owners, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a good chunk who'll only buy Sony TV's...

I'd also like to add the fact that Sony/ND are saying nothing...I wonder why?...

What other explanation can there be? Anything? Anything at all?

black070

I never said they are forcing 'me' to buy one of 'their' tvs but I did 'insinuate' it looks like they are trying to increase the sales of their own tvs 'for those who will buy a Sony TV and have a playstation' which who knows how many of those there are? Imaging there are 40m ps4 owners, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a good chunk who'll only buy Sony TV's...

I'd also like to add the fact that Sony/ND are saying nothing...I wonder why?...

What other explanation can there be? Anything? Anything at all?

Was there any explanation or confirmation that they'd be addressing the framerate issues in the first place ? No ? Then relax, silence doesn't mean it can't get addressed. Before this patch many people were breathing down their necks about how dumbfounded forced supersampling is, how they'd rather just switch back to base mode, and how 1080p users have to suffer the consequences of 4K improvements - to act like this hasn't been the case is honestly laughable considering its all people have been rambling on about since the Pro's announcement. That last part doesn't necessarily relate to you, but just the general stance of this whole thread. They've given 1080p users the best framerate option of the pack at a locked 60, to not have provided an option is silly, and to have removed supersampling at 30fps is beyond ridiculous, but to act like this is all some elaborate scheme by Sony to sell 4K TV's is just ludicrous.

Melchiah

The removed feedbacks with more than 500 votes are still not available, with this mysterious "awaiting for moderation approval". I don't want to judge this move, it could be an automatic process, I don't know. But this is the story.

So please, keep voting this new well-written one.
http://feedback.naughtydog.com/foru...stions/17346652-please-put-supersampling-back

Done. I just wish it mentioned 2160p/30fps specifically, as I don't want to end up with only 1800p/60fps mode. After all, we 1080p users had both supersampled modes before.

black070

The removed feedbacks with more than 500 votes are still not available, with this mysterious "awaiting for moderation approval". I don't want to judge this move, it could be an automatic process, I don't know. But this is the story.

So please, keep voting this new well-written one.
http://feedback.naughtydog.com/foru...stions/17346652-please-put-supersampling-back

Don't repeat feedback suggestions get removed ? Everyone should stick to one and keep voting on it.

Jacob4815

Don't repeat feedback suggestions get removed ? Everyone should stick to one and keep voting on it.

There was one voted by everyone but it's not more available.
So yes, now everyone should stick to this well-written one.

There is an absurd feedback written by a 3 years monkey with more than 300 votes. That shit should be removed by the "moderation" ... I suppose...

black070

There was one voted by everyone but it's not more available.
So yes, now everyone should stick to this well-written one.

There is an absurd feedback written by a 3 years monkey with more than 300 votes. That shit should be removed by the "moderation approval" like the others... I suppose...

It seems the system is heavily flawed in that they don't pick which one stays based on its votes. That being said, hopefully they hear the message loud and clear.

Jacob4815

It seems the system is heavily flawed in that they don't pick which one stays based on its votes.

It's a possibility, of course.

This is the last time I propose a new feedback topic.
If this new one will be removed too, for me it will be the nail in the coffin on this feedback story.

Top Bottom