• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLOU PRO Patch 1.08 - Supersampling removed from all modes [Up: New DF video]

Padinn

Wonder how hard it'd be for Sony to implement something like nvidia dynamic scaling resolution and let players decide.

Necro900

Let's all play FFXV now before square caves in to the headlines and drops resolution to 480p to fix that nightmarish framepacing!

kfpkiller

This is so dumb.
I was in the middle of a playthrough and I'm now stuck with worse graphics.
I didn't care about the few framedrops, they really should let the player choose.

Are you kidding me?

This is utterly ridiculous.

If this back and forth on Pro is going to become a regular thing by stripping options from customers then we are in for some issues.

Digital Foundry just had to complain about this when no one else really was. Ffs

Do not support their Patreon!

Izuna

Banned
What a mess, seriously...

Are you kidding me?

If this back and forth on Pro is going to become a regular thing by stripping options from customers then we are in for some issues.

Digital Foundry just had to complain about this when no one else really was. Ffs

Wtf? They talked about how you had worse performance on the supposed 60fps mode. What happened here is not on anyone but ND. Neither situation is ideal and it sort of shows that ND didn't want to do want further optimisation.

Hazanko

Banned
Why are people blaming Digital Foundry? It's their job to find faults and they did. ND are the ones that didn't give options.

inky

LOL, how very petty of you. They are a tech analysis site and they did their job.

You should be asking Naughty Dog for a solution, not blaming DF. But they are probably too much of a sacred cow for you to say anything.

Jacob4815

Why are people blaming Digital Foundry? It's their job to find faults and they did. ND are the ones that didn't give options.

I agree, this is all developers' fault.

But now DF should write a new article about this issue. This is a very weird situation, so they should report the new issue as they have done with the previous one. I'm waiting and hoping for this.

Honestly, not worth it. The game looked incredible downsampled and it's not like the performance was unplayable. Pretty bad choice here in my opinion.

Horrible choice,really. Whoever decided this should be fired, really. So basically they defeted the whole purpose of playing this with the Ps4 pro.

-shadow-

Guess waiting for the Pro was the better choice in the end. The whole patching situation with a bunch of games just isn't a pretty sight. Also for me anyway, it reflects really poorly on Sony in the end. I get the idea for the Pro, but absolutely everything feels half baked...

Horrible choice,really. Whoever decided this should be fired, really. So basically they defeted the whole purpose of playing this with the Ps4 pro.
Well that's just a bit extreme no?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Are you kidding me?

That's really shit of you to say.

This is 100% on Naughy Dog. Nobody else.

The fact is, the game DID run quite a bit slower on the Pro in 60fps mode. It made it so I didn't want to play it in that mode since it was dipping in just about every single battle. I started replaying it to enjoy HDR and ended up going for the 4K30 mode instead due to this issue.

If they couldn't optimize it further then the real fix should have been an option in the menu. It's now possible to hit a more stable 60fps than on the regular PS4 and it should have been a simple option.

That is becoming a recurring problem with the Pro - taking advantage of different modes requires you to change your video output from the menu. These things should be built into the games (like Tomb Raider or FFXV).

Vaga

Wtf ND, literally the last devs I expected to pull this kind of shit. What an idiotic decision. I was totally ok with a few fps drops for that crispy iq but this is just mind bogglingly stupid. Surely there could've been a middle ground solution, like a smaller res or you know leave it as a fucking menu option for people to decide but don't remove it ffs.

Jacob4815

The fact is, the game DID run quite a bit slower on the Pro in 60fps mode. It made it so I didn't want to play it in that mode since it was dipping in just about every single battle. I started replaying it to enjoy HDR and ended up going for the 4K30 mode instead due to this issue.

If they couldn't optimize it further then the real fix should have been an option in the menu. It's now possible to hit a more stable 60fps than on the regular PS4 and it should have been a simple option.

That is becoming a recurring problem with the Pro - taking advantage of different modes requires you to change your video output from the menu. These things should be built into the games (like Tomb Raider or FFXV).

Hi guys, are you able to contact ND for further explanations?
You did a great job, it's not your fault. I hope your support will help to fix this problem too. This is very annoying for all the 1080p users! Supersampling removed for the 30 fps mode is... weird.

jett

D-Member
Are you kidding me?

This is nonsense. It's 100% on ND fucking up.

Did you notice the broken shadows on 30fps mode?
I'm really disappointed Naughty Dog hasn't fixed it. Really sucks because I would've liked to play on native mode, but the broken shadows hold me back.

dark10x

Hi guys, are you able to contact ND for further explanations?
You did a great job, it's not your fault. I hope your support will help to fix this problem too. This is very annoying for all the 1080p users! Supersampling removed for the 30 fps mode is... weird.
We never spoke to them in the first place. It's not even clear what prompted this patch at all.

I believe Tom is going to follow up on this issue with a new article or video, at least.

We all think it's ridiculous as well since it should be an option.

Heck, for 4K users, it would be nice to be able to run at a lower resolution for a higher frame-rate as well (without changing the video output from the configuration menu).

We never spoke to them in the first place. It's not even clear what prompted this patch at all.

I believe Tom is going to follow up on this issue with a new article or video, at least.

We all think it's ridiculous as well since it should be an option.

Heck, for 4K users, it would be nice to be able to run at a lower resolution for a higher frame-rate as well (without changing the video output from the configuration menu).
Is he going to potentially talk about the broken shadows that 1080p Pro users are currently stuck with. I sound like a broken record by now, but I really feel like this issue needs some recognition so that Naughty Dog can fix it.

dark10x

Is he going to potentially talk about the broken shadows that 1080p Pro users are currently stuck with. I sound like a broken record by now, but I really feel like this issue needs some recognition so that Naughty Dog can fix it.
Yeah, we'll make sure to mention that as well.

-shadow-

Out of curiosity John, do you think that lowering the rendering resolution to 1440p would've helped the frame rate improve enough for 60fps mode? I always thought 1800p was a bit much for 60fps, but could 1440p potentially solve that while maintaining better image quality? Well better than native 1080p of course.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Surprisingly, ND has been the worst to implement Pro support in their games so far, which is the last thing you'd expect, especially after the comments from people about 'completely revisiting the rendering pipeline'.

They revisited the pipeline but decided it's worth fuck all :-/

Only thing that can fix this sour taste is a TLoU 2 announcement at PSX
(i can dream).

dark10x

Out of curiosity John, do you think that lowering the rendering resolution to 1440p would've helped the frame rate improve enough for 60fps mode? I always thought 1800p was a bit much for 60fps, but could 1440p potentially solve that while maintaining better image quality? Well better than native 1080p of course.
Based on what has occurred with this new patch (better than base PS4 performance) I would say yes. It might even be more stable than base PS4 at 1440p.

Jacob4815

Surprisingly, ND has been the worst to implement Pro support in their games so far, which is the last thing you'd expect, especially after the comments from people about 'completely revisiting the rendering pipeline'.

They revisited the pipeline but decided it's worth fuck all :-/

Only thing that can fix this sour taste is a TLoU 2 announcement at PSX
(i can dream).

I'm not going to dowload the next patch for Uncharted 4.

The game is fine, resolution and framerate, but now I fear the worst and I don't want to risk.

As someone who downsamples a lot on PC. I would totally expect a drop to 1620 or 1530 would be enough to sort the framerate issues. I really can't understand how it needed to go right back to 1080.

Elios83

The problem is not DF.
It's in the people who can't read technical analyses and can't give the right weight to what they read (not to mention trolls and console warriors who do this on purpose).
And the worst case was with Skyrim when people went mad over irrelevant drops to 27fps in a game with native 4K rendering, that was ridicolous.
If you have a few frame drops in a 60fps game because the game is being downsampled from 1800p it's not something worth to make such a drama.
Instead people sent the message that it was not a good compromise and the downsamping wasn't worth it, so now enjoy perfect 60fps with the same image quality of the original PS4 if you have a 1080p TV.

Coolade

I don't think it's their job to find faults, it's their job to analyze the game. If the faults are there...that's the games problem. All they present is information. How you perceive it is on the individual.

holygeesus

Banned
lol @ people believing GAF and DF are responsible for how dev teams implement patches. We are important fellas, but not that important!

Top Bottom