• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLOU PRO Patch 1.08 - Supersampling removed from all modes [Up: New DF video]

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Let's not convince devs that 55fps on a 60Hz display is a good thing, thanks.

55fps at 1800p is still better than 60fps at 1080p.

This is of course my opinion. I can live with a few less frames in favor or better image quality.

55fps at 1800p is still better than 60fps at 1080p.

This is of course my opinion. I can live with a few less frames in favor or better image quality.
It's not just a few less frames though, it's tearing and juddering. I don't understand why it required removing all downsampling to hit that target though.

adamsapple

It's not just a few less frames though, it's tearing and juddering. I don't understand why it required removing all downsampling to hit that target though.

Yeah that's the whole issue here. ND didn't seem to do any optimization here, aside from some supposed bug fixing they just brute forced performance by reducing rendering resolution a whole lot, not what you'd expect from them typically.

Ah well .. maybe i'm just making it sound too simple, i'm not a game developer.

Ferr986

The problem is not DF.
It's in the people who can't read technical analyses and can't give the right weight to what they read (not to mention trolls and console warriors who do this on purpose).
And the worst case was with Skyrim when people went mad over irrelevant drops to 27fps in a game with native 4K rendering, that was ridicolous.
If you have a few frame drops in a 60fps game because the game is being downsampled from 1800p it's not something worth to make such a drama.
Instead people sent the message that it was not a good compromise and the downsamping wasn't worth it, so now enjoy perfect 60fps with the same image quality of the original PS4 if you have a 1080p TV.

Some people are way more sensitive than others with "irrelevant" drops. Same as how some people notice framepacing and some others dont (see FFXV). And same as how some people see big changes with downsampling and some doesn't.

It's time to some of you to understand not everyone notice these things the same.

The Pro is the first console that is able to please everyone with multiple options, devs should work on that (like some of them are already doing).

Some people are way more sensitive than others with "irrelevant" drops. Same as how some people notice framepacing and some others dont (see FFXV). And same as how some people see big changes with downsampling and some doesn't.

It's time to some of you to understand not everyone notice these things the same.

The thing is, it was pretty close to a locked 60. The sacrafices to get there shouldn't really be that big.

Melchiah

The problem is not DF.
It's in the people who can't read technical analyses and can't give the right weight to what they read (not to mention trolls and console warriors who do this on purpose).
And the worst case was with Skyrim when people went mad over irrelevant drops to 27fps in a game with native 4K rendering, that was ridicolous.
If you have a few frame drops in a 60fps game because the game is being downsampled from 1800p it's not something worth to make such a drama.
Instead people sent the message that it was not a good compromise and the downsamping wasn't worth it, so now enjoy perfect 60fps with the same image quality of the original PS4 if you have a 1080p TV.

Yep. The loud minority can screw it all up for the silent majority. Examples being games, where sequels have been catered towards the haters, resulting with those who actually liked the original to be neglected.

I didn't know Skyrim's Pro version was also downgraded on 1080p displays. Sad if true. I didn't buy the Pro for 60fps. I bought it for supersampling, and additional visual effects.

Wagram

I would rather have a stable fps whether 30 or 60, but shame they took away the option for those that wanted it.

Are you kidding me?

This is utterly ridiculous.

If this back and forth on Pro is going to become a regular thing by stripping options from customers then we are in for some issues.

Digital Foundry just had to complain about this when no one else really was. Ffs

Do not support their Patreon!

Eh... are you a customer or a ND or Sony fanatic?
Be glad that people are reporting problems. So they can be fixed.

Are you kidding me?

This is utterly ridiculous.

If this back and forth on Pro is going to become a regular thing by stripping options from customers then we are in for some issues.

Digital Foundry just had to complain about this when no one else really was. Ffs

Do not support their Patreon!

Oh dear.

It was pretty much guaranteed that sooner or later something like this would happen (excluding the fact that the 1080p30fps option seems to be broken/might be a bug). Some would want for more framerate and others would ask for graphics, that's expected. When playing a console game though, who the fuck knows how each dev's pipelines work, it might be easy for some (ROTR), it might be not for others. Hell, some might don't even care about putting any effort at all, but unless we have proof that's all speculation.

Those "options" most people are asking are common on the PC platform (which I'm a user).

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yep. The loud minority can screw it all up for the silent majority. Examples being games, where sequels have been catered towards the haters, resulting with those who actually liked the original to be neglected.

I didn't know Skyrim's Pro version was also downgraded on 1080p displays. Sad if true. I didn't buy the Pro for 60fps. I bought it for supersampling, and additional visual effects.

I think Skyrim still has downsampling and increased draw distance in 1080p mode on PS4 Pro.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It was pretty much guaranteed that sooner or later something like this would happen (excluding the fact that the 1080p30fps option seems to be broken/might be a bug). Some would want for more framerate and others would ask for graphics, that's expected. When playing a console game though, who the fuck knows how each dev's pipelines work, it might be easy for some (ROTR), it might be not for others. Hell, some might don't even care about putting any effort at all, but unless we have proof that's all speculation.

Those "options" most people are asking are common on the PC platform (which I'm a user).

and those options do not make developers' lives easier in terms of giving users a polished experience... but on PC customers seems to like doing the optimisation themselves with options tuning;).

spannicus

Im pretty sure that the upcoming games to be released for PS4 will be ready in terms of Pro standards. You guys are lucky they even bothered to update those old games. Devs are probably like fuck that lets move forward.

Ferr986

Although I agree, we are talking about the Pro. Games are still made for base PS4, and the extra juice of the Pro should be for giving the users these options. It's what the Pro is all about (the official site an ads not only talk about 4K gaming but also about better framerates).

Not blaming the hardware btw. Again, it's all on devs to make it work as it should.

Xandremi

Don't ever say they don't give you what you want.

Well this is not what I wanted, rip my multiplayer gaming sessions with my friends. Now my game looks no better than theirs on base ps4 lol, I was enjoying the increased IQ too but thank gawd people saved me from dropped frames I never noticed...

thelastword

Banned
Alarmist frame rate hipsters are really ruining the hobby.

On the one hand I feel like this is 100% ND's fault. Numerous games that look and run better on PRO are testament to that. This is basically ND using a mini gun to kill a mosquito.

On the other hand I feel like it raises a big issue about the role that sites like DF have in the industry right now. The problem is, they analyse in such depth, deliberately going out of their way to hammer games at the most stressful points, then they say a game "has frame drops" and "it's disappointing that it can't hold it's target frame rate". Even if those drops are brief and only occur in absurdly stressful moments.

They use equipment which analyses things that most people simply wouldn't spot and then make it into a big deal. They're similar to those people like Totalbiscuit who claim that 60 FPS is barely enough to make a game playable (he even once did an MP video where he excused himself for not doing as well as he would normally because "aiming at 30 FPS is totally impossible", which is utter rubbish). The trouble is, they have a huge readership now, and those people are very loud and militant. So a game which suffers from 1-2 FPS drops in busy scenes now "has a dreadful framerate" according to forum narrative. The hyperbole that sites like this use is damaging the industry in my opinion.
I have no problem with DF alerting us to framerate issues, however the vast inconsistency with which they critique framerate issues is vastly onesided and picky.

Skyrim falls to 29fps riding a horse at 4k for crying out loud, (loading areas, streaming, caching issues) it's the end of the world. Yet these same DF guys never really made a stink about Witcher 3 when the framerate in that was actually abysmal, on top of less than stellar graphical settings. Hell, Witcher 3 wish it had Skyrims 4k performance at 1080p.

Also, you can't compare a 30fps game that falls a few frames to a 60fps game that falls a few frames, they're not the same, one is incredibly fluid and the other is not. So if you're nitpicking 1fps from 30 and 5 fps from 60, you should be lighting a fire on Witcher's performance, you should be lighting a fire under Ryse's performance where it averages 25-26 fps and falls to the teens, but instead a DF member said that Ryse runs stable and guess what, Ryse is an action game.....

If TLOUR was 1080P and performing worse than PS4 vanilla, I'd understand the pitch and forks, but at 1800p/60fps, with 1080p tv owners getting some nice supersampling, it's the end of the world because the 60fps mode falls a few frames shorter with much better IQ. Of course nothing near as bad or abysmal like so many titles which DF Staff were fine with.

Hell, pretty much anytime the Xb1 have performance issues it's bad optimization on the devs, look at what Dave said about the XB1 version of Infinite warfare in their recent video, the XB1 version tears to keep up framerate, it's still falling way short than both PS4 and Pro regardless, but somehow some optimization was left on the table for XB1, yet he tries to butter it with (Hey, IQ is pretty much the same), which is also a lie because the XB1 version is indeed softer and looks less refined than both PS versions. On the flip, that same guy did the BF1 faceoff and he could not refrain from repeating a million times that native 4k on a titan X is better than the Pro's checkerboarded 4k mode and he prefers the sharpness of the titan x, just unbelievable stuff.

As I've said, it's a good thing to point out framerate discrepancies, it's a good thing to point out framepacing and latency issues, but when you make a big issue of framerate in games which is pretty solid like Skyrim and you excuse or won't say much about it in games that perform way worse, these analyses begin to look skewed and biased, perhaps the reason is to fish for hits or to fan the console war flames, any way you put it, it's disingenuous at best.......

Just so it's clear, DF is a strange lot. When a 60fps mode debuted on the OG PS4 for TLOUR, DF made a big deal about the bloater fight which fell momentarily to 46fps, when all that toxic bile was on screen, you would have sworn the game was running at 46fps average. They still maintained that the OG PS4 version had framerate issues in later videos and recently in their Pro coverage of the game....Now I also watched that bloater fight on Pro and it never fell below 50fps on the PRO at 1800p, but DF will cherry pick instances where the OG PS4 version run better to fit a narrative.....It's the narrative they wanted to sell with their "runs slower on Pro smash hit video"....

I'll say this, pretty much every game where DF says runs better on OG PS4 runs better on Pro in many instances, and even the Majority of the time like Mankind Divided... of course the bigger takeaway is that the games also run at much higher resolutions with better AF and AA too, so when you're going on a spiel that it runs worse on Pro it's also good to give people an entire picture of what you get on the Pro, that is resolution, AF, AA, better graphical presets etc...and of course more substantial framerate analysis instead of cherry-picked bits.

I swear, the way DF was going on about "games performing worse on the PS4.Pro", you would think that games were performing like Just cause 3 at 1080p on the PRO. Instead we had 4k users who were enjoying their 4k modes, 1080p users were enjoying their supersampling from these 4k modes and DF and certain drivebyers who made mountains out of molehills because of a couple of frames from 60fps or -1fps from 30fps whilst loading in new areas in Skyrim.

Ironic isn't it, that many called for base PS4 mode or 1080p 60fps, now that they have it at a more locked 60fps they still complain. They now want locked 60fps, a higher resolution, best shadows..in general better IQ...I'm not saying that 1800p- 2160p checkerboarding mode at 60fps solid with TAA is not possible, but lets stop the hypocrisy, gaming visuals and performance have never been one metric over the other, its a balance of the two, so when Naughty gave us a nice balance of visuals and framerate, people made a stink (for whatever reasons...now that they gave what many asked for, said persons are still drawing a poo puff...If anything, this thread shows that the majority of persons were fine with the balance of visuals/IQ and framerate.

....I wish DF would make a stink about the abysmal Pro patch Ubisoft did with Syndicate, Hell I own the games on PC, but bought them on PS4 because of how promising the patch sounded. I vowed never to buy a game below 1080p on PS4, yet that wannabe pro patch still have not been rectified.....Anyway, one thing is certain, the 60fps TLOUR mode on Pro is now performing better than the OG PS4 version in all categories, better shadows (better visuals), better framerate, so I guess DF should be happy because they are adhering to those leaked documents now innit....;)

CISphil

Neo Member
Why didn't they just add a bloody checkbox option on the menu to turn super sampling on or off? This is a stupid way of doing it. Not going to bother continuing my second playthrough.
Edit:
Possibly stupid question but is it possible to revert the patch on a PS4?
Actually, good point. I just won't update. Still dumb though.

Juice

I think all these PS4 Pro patch disasters are just telling us that now, more than ever, frame rate, resolution, and graphical effects are trade offs and the only way to keep hardcore consumers engaged is to leave it configurable.

There are now two hardware profiles for PS4, trying to tune your game to perfection is a fool's errand and will break down if there's ever a third.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Why is thelastword giving us so much shit so often? I don't get it. He is a genuinely nasty person and often incorrect about what he says.

One of the most insane fanboys I've ever seen. He "interprets" what is being said in every video through his own distorted lens and makes false claims based on what he thinks he is hearing. Usually trolls just drive by post but this guy literally writes novels on completely bogus ideas. He does not want facts. He doesn't. He only cares about painting the PlayStation 4 and all related products in the best light possible. That is it.

People like him, combined with death threats and other bullshit over console wars, seriously just make me want to quit and disappear from the fucking internet. It's not worth it.

Right now it's 1080p30 or 1080p60 if you have a 1080p TV. Identical image quality on both options; the 30FPS option just toggles the framerate lock on or off.

This makes no fucking sense lol.

Was the framerate really that bad in the downsampled mode before? I thought it was near 60.

People like him, combined with death threats and other bullshit over console wars, seriously just make me want to quit and disappear from the fucking internet. It's not worth it.

Ignore him man. Plenty of us out there who appreciate your work.

adamsapple

Possibly stupid question but is it possible to revert the patch on a PS4?

Sure, you can delete game data, reinstall game again to get it unpatched. Not sure if patch is required to play multiplayer, but that might cause an issue.

However, if you just need it for single player, you can just reinstall game data and pause or disable patch download.

mileS

Reminds me of review score outrage in some ways. People see a score, don't read the review, and spend plenty of time bitching about it online. People catch wind of it and jump on the bandwagon. Let's join in the outrage.

How it reminds me concerning the Digital Foundry stuff is like this. There's nothing wrong with DF bringing this stuff to light. Hell I remember them clearly talking in that video how minor drops from 60 to 50s are. They stated how disappointing it is just the same. From here you have people reading "performs worse on pro" and running with it. The outrage starts and snowballs just like review score fuckery.

This recent patch is a very odd one. Maybe it's temporary until they can work on it more? Who knows. All this really does is remind me to turn off auto updates.

Why is thelastword giving us so much shit so often? I don't get it. He is a genuinely nasty person and often incorrect about what he says.

One of the most insane fanboys I've ever seen. He "interprets" what is being said in every video through his own distorted lens and makes false claims based on what he thinks he is hearing. Usually trolls just drive by post but this guy literally writes novels on completely bogus ideas. He does not want facts. He doesn't. He only cares about painting the PlayStation 4 and all related products in the best light possible. That is it.

He's been doing this forever. He's also been on my ignore list forever and I advise everyone who wants to stay sane to also put him on theirs.

Syranth

Sure, you can delete game data, reinstall game again to get it unpatched. Not sure if patch is required to play multiplayer, but that might cause an issue.

However, if you just need it for single player, you can just reinstall game data and pause or disable patch download.

If patches were incremental this would work. Unfortunately I believe it's an all or nothing. Reinstalling would only get me pre-Pro patch which isn't any good either.

Arttemis

Unfortunately they will never be able to please everyone but I think they did the right thing. Performance over IQ was the right way to go.

What the fuck? This was not the way to go. There's a 30 fps lock option in the game, but because of this patch, there's no more supersampling from 1800p. That is NOT the right decision. You don't go nuclear on every 1080p users because a vocal minority didn't like the intermittent 2fps drop with juttering.

Fuck no, this was a terrible patch.

adamsapple

The game uninstalled has no PRO support. They added it with a patch. So you are forced with 1.08.

Oh right .. completely forgot about that .. game is old and didn't ship with Pro support out of the box. My bad.

inky

Fanboyism is a powerful thing.

Plenty of other people appreciate your work, so don't feel discouraged.

Ferr986

Yet these guys says DF and people complaining about bugs and bad performance are killing the industry. What a clusterfuck. Sorry to hear that dark10x. Hope you can just ignore the idiots.

Tagg9

Yeah, I've noticed the same. thelastword has some weird fucking vendetta against you guys.

Also, are people seriously people blaming Digital Foundry? The only thing they are guilty of is doing their fucking job. There were severe frame drops in places (and it was worse than on base PS4), and DF reported on this in order to educate consumers. It's not their job to suggest a solution to the problem - that's all Naughty Dog.

Please never stop. I know how you feel. People like that can make you lose all faith in humanity. It's sickening.

But most people, including me, really love and appreciate your work! Digital Foundry videos are the ones i am most looking forward to. Even when it's about a game i have no interest in. Just because all the videos are awesome, entertaining and super informative.

-shadow-

Based on what has occurred with this new patch (better than base PS4 performance) I would say yes. It might even be more stable than base PS4 at 1440p.

As someone who downsamples a lot on PC. I would totally expect a drop to 1620 or 1530 would be enough to sort the framerate issues. I really can't understand how it needed to go right back to 1080.

Strange choice to go all the way back to 1080p in that case. I wonder if they'll end up reversing the decision for that and go at least somewhat higher than the current standard and see how far they can push/optimize the game for better performance.

Jacob4815

I posted a thread on the TLoU forum that links back to here to try to get us some attention:

http://community.us.playstation.com...-of-Us-1-08-Patch-Neogaf-Thread/td-p/46067607

I'd also like to get everyone to go vote on this on their technical support forum (I didn't create):

http://feedback.naughtydog.com/foru...ption-to-toggle-supersampling-for-1080p-users

OP - If you are reading this can you put at least the voting one in the first post?

Done!

And I added a third link specific for the 30 fps mode.

I asked two mods for a title change (not only 60fps mode is afflicted!) but they didn't answer me.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Miniscule dips that happen rarely, like those in the original PS4 remaster, did not affect gameplay in any appreciable way. You really have to be some kind of framerate nazi to prefer global, severe image quality degradation in exchange for ironing those out. I think having 1440p supersampling, even with those such small dips, would have faced a far better reception.

End even if you disagree with everything I said, they also botched the "image quality mode", at least on 1080p TVs.

I want no dips at all in a performance mode, but they shouldn't have touched the high quality mode.

Top Bottom