• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trials Fusion runs at 1080/60 on PS4, 900/60 on Xbox One

You don't think it's odd that this game hasn't engendered much of a response on gaf before this thread?

That doesn't sound much different from Trials Evolution. It had one thread that went past Page 1 before its release while the OT ended up with 2,800+ posts. Which is rather large for a downloadable title.

EagleEyes

cant agree to that. even 360's triggers feel second class to xbone's. let alone ps4 ones.
Agreed. I don't for the life of me understand how anybody would think the PS4 triggers are better than the Xbox One triggers. DS4's triggers are definitely better than DS3 but are still far below both Xbox controllers imo. Opinions and such...

geordiemp

You don't think it's odd that this game hasn't engendered much of a response on gaf before this thread?

Don't you think a side on view side scrolling game not achieving full HD on a next gen console is surprising and not news worthy.

Hence people enter the thread.

They may of been buying it anyway, even with a preview thread many of us had 360's and know roughly what to expect, although with better visuals and probably bigger / more tracks.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
aiP7DM6.png

Kinda funny people care more about the resolution than the game itself.

geordiemp

Nope XB1 triggers are the best. What's bad about them?

Glad you like the triggers and gives you something to promote as superior LOL...

Seriously as a wii / ps3 / 360 and Ps4 owner I get used to controllers pretty quick, its more a familiarity thing.

that said only triggers that were poor were Ps3 L2 R2

Apologies if this has been asked numerous times before, but is there a breakdown of the differences with the Xbox 360 version or at least some videos of it? I might be getting that one if it doesn't include uPlay, since I won't be getting an X-Bone or a PS4 any time soon either.

SmokyDave

aiP7DM6.png

It's perfectly understandable. Cats that haven't played Trials on PC probably don't understand how demanding it is, hence the lowered resolution seems like a big deal.

I understand that this sudden laser focus on resolution is perturbing to some, however I'd advise those people to avoid any thread that has a resolution clearly stated as the focus of a thread. It ain't hard to ignore this stuff.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
aiP7DM6.png

That thread is literally the same thread that appears every time an Xbox game is revealed as being 900p though. The actual game has little bearing on the size of the thread

SmokyDave

That thread is literally the same thread that appears every time an Xbox game is revealed as being 900p though. The actual game has little bearing on the size of the thread
At least we get sizeable differences to discuss this time! Last gen we'd have the same huge threads, but much less meat to chew on.

EBreda

Trials is intrinsically connected to the Xbox (yes I know about the flash versions before that), so that means I'm sticking with the One version because of muscle memory (analogs placement and triggers).

I need all the help I can get to overcome those extreme tracks!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Apologies if this has been asked numerous times before, but is there a breakdown of the differences with the Xbox 360 version or at least some videos of it? I might be getting that one if it doesn't include uPlay, since I won't be getting an X-Bone or a PS4 any time soon either.

Uplay is probably in all versions even though it's generally useless and just gets in the way, that's just an Ubisoft thing to do.

Trials is intrinsically connected to the Xbox (yes I know about the flash versions before that)

The first "real" Trials game (Trials 2 SE) was a PC game, it wasn't just a little Flash game before it came to 360. To us old/original Trials fans it isn't an Xbox series, we just got abandoned for a bit there (this one I'll be getting on PS4 though).

The main thing that's been saddening me about this thread is seeing people dump on Red Lynx, as if they're some average indie developers. Trials HD and Trials Fusion pushed a lot of really advanced technology, and I see no one is reading the Eurogamer links that myself and JaseC posted, so I'm going to try and help people out by quoting from them this time.

On Trials HD:

The shadows and lighting were changed the most. Now we have universal real-time soft shadows cast from each object, including translucent shadows (windows, fences, glass, etc). All object materials are modelled with pixel-perfect precision, and we have parallax mapping on each surface adding the highly needed extra bit of detail to the rough warehouse surfaces.

we achieve a constant full 60 frames-per-second representation all the time. The game rendering is also vertical-refresh-locked to produce absolutely tearless graphics output - a thing we rarely see even in current generation retail console games.

All our materials have per-pixel control for base colour, diffuse lighting, specularity, glossiness, ambient lighting (ambient occlusion), normal (compressed two-channel normal), height (for parallax mapping), opacity and emissive components (for self-illuminating surfaces).

We have compressed all this info into two or three DXT5 textures in a way that causes the least compression artifacts. The DXT5 format alpha channel is much higher quality compared to the other three channels (RGB). And the RGB channels are also tied together (same end values and interpolator). The green channel also offers slightly increased bit depth compared to the red and blue channels.

On Trials Evolution:

Increasing the draw distance from 40 metres to 2000 metres meant that we had to render over five times more objects per frame than we did in Trials HD. Many things in the engine got completely overhauled to cope with the vastly increased object count. For example, our graphics engine now uses a 'close to hardware' low-level GPU interface instead of the higher-level DirectX API to submit draw calls and the GPU state.

We fully optimised our particle engine with VMX128 instructions, and this freed up one of the six hardware threads just for visibility culling purposes, while still allowing us to double our particle counts. We now have a dynamic depth buffer pyramid-based occlusion culling system that discards all occluded objects very quickly, and gives a nice boost of performance for complex scenes. We also implemented object and terrain geometry LOD (level of detail) systems to scale down polygon counts based on distance to the camera.

The shadow mapping system was also improved. The new system calculates very tight bounds for shadow map cascades based on depth buffer analysis (inspired by the SDSM algorithm by Lauritzen, Salvi and Lefohn), and allowed us to reach the required shadow map quality for the large-scale terrain without much extra cost.

Virtual texturing has really changed the way we deal with textures. The system does fine-grained analysis of the visible scene and determines which texture areas should be loaded to the memory. It is designed to keep only the texture pixels in memory that are actually required to render the current scene. Because there's always a constant amount of pixels in screen (720p = 921K pixels), the memory footprint of virtual texturing is always the same, no matter how many and how large textures the game world contains. This has allowed us to texture many of our objects with very large 2048x2048 (and some even with 4096x4096) textures and has completely freed our artists of any texture memory budgets when designing the game world.

We now have a fully gamma-correct (linear space) lighting pipeline, so the rendering looks much more natural compared to the old pipeline. We have also added a fully artist-controlled colour grading system that allows them to pile up any amount of Photoshop filters and bake the filters to one big 3D texture lookup table that is sampled at the end of our post-processing pipeline. This lookup also includes an Xbox PWL gamma repair ramp (to make the image look as much like real sRGB as possible).

The smoke and dust are basically just alpha-blended particles with slight background blurring enabled (a new feature). Our newly optimised particle system is able to run more particles, so we utilised it as much as possible. We also added proper physically correct exponential fog and a post-process 'god ray' filter that adds a slight volumetric feeling to the lighting and fog effects.

In Trials Evolution we do terrain foliage generation, particle processing and texture compression using the GPU. Our deferred lighting and anti-aliasing shaders use Xbox-specific GPU microcode for "warp wide" branching. This technique can be used to reduce cost of incoherent dynamic branching (but depends on GPU warp size and is thus not available on most PC GPGPU platforms except for CUDA).

We use a modified version of FXAA. It's originated from FXAA 2, but our version causes significantly less blurring to textures. We again use the Xbox-specific microcode branching trick to get extra performance out of the shader (limiting the effect to areas that have high-contrast edges). Our version runs at 0.8ms, less than five per cent of the 16.6ms frame.

So there you have it. Don't think that just because the game is only doing motorbikes through a 2 dimensional path that it can't be strenuous on the system. In the last game in the series Red Lynx were rendering draw distances of 2 kilometers, with a fully real time deferred lighting and shadowing engine, with virtual texturing (that looked far better than what we saw in Rage) and they were already using GPU compute.

The level editor is the key thing here. Not only do you have those large backdrops to put all your pieces into, the fact that you are able to stick geometry in wherever means that the game has to do much more in real time than Forza 5.

Deferred rendering + 60 fps = less than 1080p on Xbox One, at least so far. I asked this before, does anyone know of any other games that use deferred lighting, run at 60 fps and run at 900p or higher?

I don't know of any though I might be forgetting one. That's a technical *achievement* from a developer that coded some of the best technology on Xbox 360.

Again, for anyone going 'It can't even run Trials at 1080p???' please find me a game running at 60 fps with deferred lighting running at a higher (or even the same) resolution.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Not sure how it works on MS's side but I really don't get how Sony decides what can have a platinum and what can't. If Guacamelee has one I don't see why Trails couldn't.

It's pretty weird, for sure. I mean, Resogun has a platinum, and that's definitely a smaller game than this. This is even getting a physical release. What makes it not count as a "full" game?

The main thing that's been saddening me about this thread is seeing people dump on Red Lynx, as if they're some average indie developers. Trials HD and Trials Fusion pushed a lot of really advanced technology, and I see no one is reading the Eurogamer links that myself and JaseC posted, so I'm going to try and help people out by quoting from them this time.

Thanks for posting that. I remember reading those articles. Their engine is really impressive when you see everything it's rendering and at 60fps.

I'm not the least bit surprised it's running at 900p on XB1. In fact, I predicted just that in the OT a couple days ago.

I'm really curious to see how the performance is on each console though. Does one have more screen testing than the other, etc?

Yikes. Not good news at all for the XBO. I wonder how they can achieve 1080p on Forza 5 but not Trials. Crazy stuff.

On a side note, all the people writing "Good thing I'll be getting this on the PS4", are you actually planning on getting this game? Because this thread makes it seem like Trials Fusion is hugely anticipated, and I'm sceptical that that is the case.
No doubt some people came in here just to crow, but I'm super excited about this game and have the deluxe digital edition preordered on PSN. =D

Thanks for posting that. I remember reading those articles. Their engine is really impressive when you see everything it's rendering and at 60fps.

I'm not the least bit surprised it's running at 900p on XB1. In fact, I predicted just that in the OT a couple days ago.

I'm really curious to see how the performance is on each console though. Does one have more screen testing than the other, etc?

It's just sad to me that something which is really an achievement (60 fps and real time deferred lighting at 900p) which to my knowledge hasn't yet been achieved on Xbox One in *any* game, is being dumped on like a failing.

A first party title like Killer Instinct that runs at 60 fps and uses similar lighting techniques can only manage 720p. Red Lynx manage it at a much higher resolution and we aren't cheering them for it. You know... I loved Evolution. It was raw gameplay wrapped up in a really technically impressive package. All that amazing coding wasn't negated because it was sub HD.

It's just so ignorant. I mean, the facts are the facts and it's important for people to know what resolution a game is running at, but we really need to stop shitting on developers for their PS4 versions being technically superior, when we're seeing first party games stuck inside the same limitations when it comes to advanced rendering techniques at certain frame rates. If exclusives can't manage 900p at 60 fps with those rendering techniques, we should be recognizing just how technically competent Red Lynx are for pulling that off.

But... no...

It has been ages since I played a trials game, glad to see it's coming in full glory to ps4, didn't even know that. It looks kinda futuristic though? That's not really my setting.

New002

aiP7DM6.png

I thought that was humorous as well. I really enjoyed the first trials game and plan on picking this one up as well. I wish there wasn't a difference in resolution between the two versions, but it's not surprising given the hardware. I'm more surprised at how massive threads like these keep getting.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
aiP7DM6.png

The game isn't out yet. And a controversial or shocking news thread is going to get more posts due to the heated nature of the discussion. If this thread announced that both current gen consoles ran Trials at 1080p it wouldn't make it past 2 pages either, because it wouldn't be as surprising. That wouldn't mean that IQ is something that people on GAF don't care about.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The game isn't out yet. And a controversial or shocking news thread is going to get more posts due to the heated nature of the discussion. If this thread announced that both current gen consoles ran Trials at 1080p it wouldn't make it past 2 pages either, because it wouldn't be as surprising. That wouldn't mean that IQ is something that people on GAF don't care about.

Actually, that would have been more surprising given what we've come to expect of the XBO (not counting the people who somehow believe that Trials is graphically simple enough to run on an N64). I absolutely expected a lower resolution on the XBO, especially after Redlynx were so quick to confirm that the PS4 version is 1080p but wouldn't say anything about the XBO version.

jelly

Did Microsoft knowingly build a console that wasn't good enough for native 1080p gaming?

Surely the numbers wouldn't have added up when they designed it so why did they continue down that road?

Who made these decisions, Mattrick, Greenberg?

How did they get it so wrong unless it was deliberate.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Did Microsoft knowingly build a console that wasn't good enough for native 1080p gaming?

Surely the numbers wouldn't have added up when they designed it so why did they continue down that road?

It can handle native 1080p, but not really with a modern deferred rendering engine.

They admitted to building a machine that focused more on being a media box than a high end games machine, well before the system launched. They made their bed and now they have to lay in it.

Klocker

On Trials HD:

On Trials Evolution:

So there you have it. Don't think that just because the game is only doing motorbikes through a 2 dimensional path that it can't be strenuous on the system. In the last game in the series Red Lynx were rendering draw distances of 2 kilometers, with a fully real time deferred lighting and shadowing engine, with virtual texturing (that looked far better than what we saw in Rage) and they were already using GPU compute.

The level editor is the key thing here. Not only do you have those large backdrops to put all your pieces into, the fact that you are able to stick geometry in wherever means that the game has to do much more in real time than Forza 5.

Deferred rendering + 60 fps = less than 1080p on Xbox One, at least so far. I asked this before, does anyone know of any other games that use deferred lighting, run at 60 fps and run at 900p or higher?

I don't know of any though I might be forgetting one. That's a technical *achievement* from a developer that coded some of the best technology on Xbox 360.

Again, for anyone going 'It can't even run Trials at 1080p???' please find me a game running at 60 fps with deferred lighting running at a higher (or even the same) resolution.

exactly... a dev posts on b3d quite often and always adds to the interesting info to technical discussions describing what they do...they push a hell of a lot more than the game belies at first glance

Jomjom

Banned

Their thinking was that it all outputs at 1080p anyway. Also they needed to make a profit on the box.

vpance

Whitten I think, and two other no names who I forget, according to the guy that worked on the audio part of the hardware.

Contrary to popular opinion, the decision to include ESRAM came before the 8GB, or even DDR3. They loved them some tiny ram banks from the jump, as much as Kinect.

Presumably Mattrick/Marc Whitten? With some Ballmer sprinkled on top. I don't think Greenberg does that sort of thing.

CBOAT did once say about Mattrick "his vision his fault" about XB1 I think and he was head of the division...

I think they underestimated how much your average person was aware of 1080p. I mean, if you look at games genre to genre, the Xbox One games are almost all running at better frame rates and resolutions than the 360 games, not to mention everything else they add on top.

But 1080p native on a 1080p display really makes for a notable difference that we never saw last gen with sub 720p compared to 720p, because almost nobody had a true 720p display. If you've ever seen how much of in impact turning on 'just scan' or '1:1' scaling modes on a 1080p set that by default overscans, you'd know that even a very slight upscale falls well short of native 1080p displaying on a native 1080p set.

Plus, we've had many more years of TVs and blu-rays being marketed at us with '1080p is best' messaging. People might not understand why 1080p is better, but your average person likely knows that it is, even if they're just going off the marketing.

Sony designed a console that could hit 1080p comfortably. Microsoft didn't see it as important. Again, the Xbox One is notably more powerful than the 360, and the resolutions and framerates alone indeed prove that out. I just don't think they were ready for people to care so much about 1080p. It has caught them somewhat flat footed.

They really believed that most people wouldn't notice or care because they hadn't cared much on 360. The PS4 hitting that render target as readily and comfortably as it has, has really exaggerated things, because the cheaper console can so evidently best the more expensive one in an obvious and measurable way.

File it under the same thing as Nintendo underestimating HDTV adoption when they didn't include HD support in the original Wii. It wasn't a crazy bet, but unfortunately things turned out badly for them.

It's that native difference, plus many more years of 1080p TV adoption, plus many more years of 1080p marketing.

They did not expect this stuff to be talked about outside of gaming forums and tech focused websites, as it has been. Hell I've seen news on this stuff on sites that only cover gaming as an after thought.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Their thinking was that it all outputs at 1080p anyway. Also they needed to make a profit on the box.

And who can tell the difference between native 1080p and some lower resolution upscaled with a sharpening filter applied, anyway, right? I think they really did think that Joe Average wouldn't be able to tell the difference. And maybe he can't, I don't know. But enough people definitely can for this to have become a problem for them. (I know the sharpening filter has since been removed.)

nynt9

A Microsoft engineer said ‘We purposefully did not target the highest end graphics’ in an interview.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/xbox-one-does-not-target-high-end-graphics/0115918

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

The dev Sebbi at B3D says they drop a frame, that was a design decision.

Neither console has any advantage in frame rate (vsync locked 60 fps on both). Xbox 360 is also vsync locked 60 fps. All three are butter smooth and offer the same high quality Trials game play.

For our game, stable 60 fps is the most important thing. Pushing twice as many frames requires twice as many GPU and CPU cycles. This makes our game very demanding to the hardware.

There aren't many 60 fps locked games on next gen consoles. We are locked 60 fps all the time, not fluctuating between 30-50 fps (when things start to happen) like most of the other "60 fps" games do. Also our rendering resolutions are higher compared to these games.

The dev Sebbi at B3D says they drop a frame, that was a design decision.

I'm sure that it will be possible to arrange conditions by which you can get the game to drop. Almost no game *never* drops... but I'm sure they'll be much closer locked to 60 than most on at least Xbox One and PS4.

aiP7DM6.png

Will people see a huge difference between the way the two of these look, but also see no difference when they see TF on 360 vs the X1. :)

I'm still bummed there's no multiplayer. That's incredible. No buy for me. First time not buying a Trials.

jelly

It just seems odd after so much time has passed and 1080p is common as muck.

Like you said, PS4 being cheaper, more powerful has magnified the issue, Microsoft can't escape it. It's like a perfect storm and there is no hidden juice for the future. Will it get worse as time goes on, we haven't really got to the built from ground up stuff which will surely increase the strain.

What is Forza 6, 7 going to like. No rain for another generation, baked lighting to keep 1080p, 60fps. Halo 5, 60fps at what resolution and other compromises?

They really bet the farm on TV with a $500 device. What were they thinking. At least Sony can morph into whatever they want like 360 did.

Will people see a huge difference between the way the two of these look, but also see no difference when they see TF on 360 vs the X1. :)

we'll have to see how many cuts the 360 version has. it's going to be around 600p resolution wise, we know that for sure.

on a 1080p display, presuming all but resolution is equal, the difference between 1080p and 900p might be more obvious than the difference between 900p and 600p, even if pixel wise, the gap between 600p and 900p is larger.

or were you just making a flippant remark based on people praising Bluepoint for getting the 360 version of Titanfall as close to the Xbox One version as they managed?

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I'm sure that it will be possible to arrange conditions by which you can get the game to drop. Almost no game *never* drops... but I'm sure they'll be much closer locked to 60 than most on at least Xbox One and PS4.

The game has a fixed camera and a fixed number of players on screen. I think of any game made, they have almost complete control of what is on screen at any given time.

There s no such thing as a "console build for 1080p", neither 60fps or anything else. If the consoles had titans, most of the game would run at 30 as well, the games would be built for it, some would be subhd too.

Obviously some parts of the hardware can help moving towards some specific "goals" (ROPs for ex) but nothing is set in stone with resolution.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The game has a fixed camera and a fixed number of players on screen. I think of any game made, they have almost complete control of what is on screen at any given time.

Not on user-created tracks. All kinds of crazy shit can be going on on those. And I do expect frame drops when things get extra hectic.

There s no such thing as a "console build for 1080p", neither 60fps or anything else. If the consoles had titans, most of the game would run at 30 as well, the games would be built for it, some would be subhd too.

Obviously some parts of the hardware can help moving towards some specific "goals" (ROPs for ex) but nothing is set in stone with resolution.

Mostly true, but when it comes to resolution the XBO has a very real limiting factor in its memory setup, one that doesn't exist on the PS4.

when you're talking about a console with an ESRAM setup, that isn't the case. If the Xbox One had double the ESRAM we'd be seeing games using real time deferred lighting hit 1080p at 60 fps.

the Xbox One's framebuffer isn't big enough for modern rendering techniques AND 1080p AND 60 fps. That's a hardware limitation that wouldn't be there if the Xbox One had been built to hit 1080p comfortably. The PS4 was built without such a limitation, partly because they wanted their games to be 1080p.

CF all of Sony's games, vs all of Microsofts. Microsoft didn't think 1080p was important, and designed a console accordingly. Sony evidently did.

Not on user-created tracks. All kind of crazy shit can be going on on those. And I do expect frame drops when things get extra hectic.
exactly. on Red Lynx's tracks I expect locked 60 fps in almost all circumstances, but once you hand control over to players it's going to be easy to strain the engine well beyond anything Red Lynx do in their tracks, and I believe the level designers will have full camera control too.

And who can tell the difference between native 1080p and some lower resolution upscaled with a sharpening filter applied, anyway, right? I think they really did think that Joe Average wouldn't be able to tell the difference. And maybe he can't, I don't know. But enough people definitely can for this to have become a problem for them. (I know the sharpening filter has since been removed.)
Honestly, I think word of mouth has had an amplifying effect after the hardcore early adopters purchased these consoles and started spreading gospel about the power differences. I doubt most people have even seen the differences for themselves. But when you have a majority of your more hardcore gaming friends and family saying PS4 is clearly better than Xbone, you just accept it as fact and even start spreading that message yourself. It just becomes a universally accepted truth that Microsoft can no longer fight with people like Penello. Thus, they just need to continue competing on lower prices like they've been aggressively doing, and simply bringing the games.

Yikes. Not good news at all for the XBO. I wonder how they can achieve 1080p on Forza 5 but not Trials. Crazy stuff.

On a side note, all the people writing "Good thing I'll be getting this on the PS4", are you actually planning on getting this game? Because this thread makes it seem like Trials Fusion is hugely anticipated, and I'm sceptical that that is the case.
Trials is hugely anticipated. Trials HD and evo were two of the biggest xbla games last gen. It's my 2nd most anticipated game in h1 2014 behind titan

Zeth

Are there any high quality videos posted? The game is absolutely gorgeous. I certainly wouldn't consider it "just an indie/arcade game".

I always considered the Trials games on the 360 some of the best looking games from last gen. A real solidity to the environment, a great example of how graphics and physics can combine.

Maybe it's about time people stop blaming the devs when a game isn't 1080p. The devs work hard to get the most they can from the platform. If one game doesn't meet the resolution, then question the devs. When you keep seeing, time after time, sub 1080 res games, maybe it's time to stop blaming the devs?

Top Bottom