• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trials Fusion runs at 1080/60 on PS4, 900/60 on Xbox One

Chettlar

Banned
So, blame the developer and not the underpowered console?

He's...sort of right.

But no, certainly blame the console. It's the thing that is overall "worse." It's got a weaker GPU and as far as we know an equal CPU. However, as optimization and tools get better, it is very likely that we will be 1080p and things more often.

It is relevantly similar to the PS360 situation on that front.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
He's...sort of right.

But no, certainly blame the console. It's the thing that is overall "worse." It's got a weaker GPU and as far as we know an equal CPU. However, as optimization and tools get better, it is very likely that we will be 1080p and things more often.

It's likely that scene complexity will scale up next gen even as optimization improves. So for the titles with improved graphics, the framerate and resolution will either remain constant or decrease as a result. That is the way of things on the consoles.

tommy-lee-jones-golden-globes.gif

Still getting the XB1 version. Can't play Trials with no real triggers.

I wouldn't go that far, but the bone's triggers are better.

sportz103

He's...sort of right.

If not being 1080p continues to be a hot button issue, I'm sure developers will find a way to reach it more consistently on the Xbone. But the gap is real, so other sacrifices will have to be made. I imagine though that a thread comparing the AA solutions and shaders used between the two consoles won't generate the same amount of interest as resolutions/framerate discrepancies.

spwolf

He's...sort of right.

hardware is simply weaker, and there is no magical solution to make it faster... you will not see parity, unless developers hold back PS4 versions on purpose... which nobody is doing so far.

you could have 1080p XB1 games right now, they just would have to remove some graphical features and it would end up looking even worse than 900p right now. So all of the devs until now decided that pulling back resolution is the best way to get best possible experience.

Bsigg12

hardware is simply weaker, and there is no magical solution to make it faster... you will not see parity, unless developers hold back PS4 versions on purpose... which nobody is doing so far.

The Crew would like to have a word with about parity from a dev. 1080p 30fps for both Xbox One and PS4 with no added effects for the PS4 version.

The Crew would like to have a word with about parity from a dev. 1080p 30fps for both Xbox One and PS4 with no added effects for the PS4 version.

I didn't realize The Crew had been released yet? I know the resolution was confirmed but was ambient occlusion confirmed on rivals only on PS4 before it released?

Ulvion

Neo Member
I have PS4 and XBO copies, and the game looks beautiful. It kind of came out of nowhere for me, and it might be my favorite game on the new consoles. I've only played a couple hours, but it's really fun so far, and seems like it has legs to last a long time if you want to complete bonus challenges. I'm not under an embargo on this one, so if anybody wants to know anything just ask.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I have PS4 and XBO copies, and the game looks beautiful. It kind of came out of nowhere for me, and it might be my favorite game on the new consoles. I've only played a couple hours, but it's really fun so far, and seems like it has legs to last a long time if you want to complete bonus challenges. I'm not under an embargo, so if anybody wants to know anything just ask.

Have you played trials frontier on ios? Any of that story nonsense or bike upgrades getting in the way? I just want bikes with known stats against a bunch of levels and a time limit.

Ulvion

Neo Member
I haven't played Frontier, but there's nothing in the way of bouncing from one track to the next. And there's six bikes in the game, you get a new one after completing a world, at least for the first couple.

Bsigg12

I didn't realize The Crew had been released yet? I know the resolution was confirmed but was ambient occlusion confirmed on rivals only on PS4 before it released?

I have no idea about Rivals. Never really gave any attention to it. I brought up The Crew because of what the devs are saying about the fame and how they want parity across all platforms. Do sports games count? What's the performance like on FIFA and Madden on the PS4/Xbox One?

I have no idea about Rivals. Never really gave any attention to it. I brought up The Crew because of what the devs are saying about the fame and how they want parity across all platforms. Do sports games count? What's the performance like on FIFA and Madden on the PS4/Xbox One?

Oh no I'm sure there are devs that are attempting to get parity across platforms but I wouldn't assume they've achieved it until a game actually releases.

Pretty sure Fifa or Madden is a good example in this case though

Bsigg12

I haven't played Frontier, but there's nothing in the way of bouncing from one track to the next. And there's six bikes in the game, you get a new one after completing a world, at least for the first couple.

How many worlds are there? How many tracks per works so far?

Samuray

I have PS4 and XBO copies, and the game looks beautiful. It kind of came out of nowhere for me, and it might be my favorite game on the new consoles. I've only played a couple hours, but it's really fun so far, and seems like it has legs to last a long time if you want to complete bonus challenges. I'm not under an embargo on this one, so if anybody wants to know anything just ask.

I'd rather get the X1 version mainly because to the pad but PS4 would be an option if the 1080p makes it look noticably better on large screens. I'm really on the fence here....did you find difference in resolution significant in this case?

And was the X1 version free of tearing, delayed textures and things like that?

Thanks!

Ulvion

Neo Member
How many worlds are there? How many tracks per works so far?

Looks like 8 worlds, 7 or 8 tracks in each. I've completed the first two, and it says I'm at 15% completion. There are sooooo many optional challenges though, 3 per track, that I see myself going back into all of them at some point. Probably after I finish the game, I'll start back at the beginning and play through for them, some of the challenges are standard stuff, like "Do 10 flips without crashing once." Others are more interesting, like "Find the secret button hidden on this track and press it." or "Find the secret exit portal." and make you explore levels in a different way.

Ulvion

Neo Member
I'd rather get the X1 version mainly because to the pad but PS4 would be an option if the 1080p makes it look noticably better on large screens. I'm really on the fence here....did you find difference in resolution significant in this case?

Thanks!

I'm usually not one who can tell a huge difference between 1080 and anything else, but on my 65" you can definitely tell that the PS4 version looks crisper. Colors pop more (and there are a lot of colors), and it just looks better side-by-side.

Both systems suffer from the same graphical issues though, as shadows are pretty rough and have a tendency to pop in and out, and rockey textures have trouble loading fast enough as they speed into frame. The game is so fun that I really don't mind, but it's really noticeable on both PS4 and XBO.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Thanks!

Are the triggers really that much better than the ds4, or it is just familiarity from the 360? I haven't played with the triggers much, but the ds4 sticks seem to be tighter and no dead zones, so I don't know if the triggers are the same

Do you normally notice screen tearing in games? Does either version of the game have any screen tearing?

Do you normally notice screen tearing in games? Does either version of the game have any screen tearing?

AgentP posted this from one of the devs at B3D

Neither console has any advantage in frame rate (vsync locked 60 fps on both). Xbox 360 is also vsync locked 60 fps. All three are butter smooth and offer the same high quality Trials game play.

AgentP posted this from one of the devs at B3D

Yeah, I saw that post, but as always, I take what a dev says with a grain of salt. Is that even a confirmed dev?

Both Trials HD and Evolution had some tearing on 360, and even footage of Fusion from a month ago exhibited some.

Yeah, I saw that post, but as always, I take what a dev says with a grain of salt. Is that even a confirmed dev?

Both Trials HD and Evolution had some tearing on 360, and even footage of Fusion from a month ago exhibited some.

He seems to be confirmed. And wasn't that footage from the PC version? IGN posted some footage of the PS4 version recently and I didn't notice any tearing (although i'm not great at detecting it unless it's awful)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Yoj3owZhIw

viveks86

He seems to be confirmed. And wasn't that footage from the PC version? IGN posted some footage of the PS4 version recently and I didn't notice any tearing (although i'm not great at detecting it unless it's awful)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Yoj3owZhIw

LOL! That video is hilarious. The guy starts off saying "I'm pretty good at Trials, I can handle this" and then sucks badly enough to call someone else to demo!

EDIT:

Ok, this video sold me on the game. I'm definitely buying it. Looks super fun!

Yeah, I saw that video, and the lack of tearing was noted, but those might not have been the most demanding tracks.

Also, devs usually show the best version of their game, so when they showed off that PC version a month ago, and it had tearing, I grew concerned.

when you're talking about a console with an ESRAM setup, that isn't the case. If the Xbox One had double the ESRAM we'd be seeing games using real time deferred lighting hit 1080p at 60 fps.

the Xbox One's framebuffer isn't big enough for modern rendering techniques AND 1080p AND 60 fps. That's a hardware limitation that wouldn't be there if the Xbox One had been built to hit 1080p comfortably. The PS4 was built without such a limitation, partly because they wanted their games to be 1080p.

CF all of Sony's games, vs all of Microsofts. Microsoft didn't think 1080p was important, and designed a console accordingly. Sony evidently did.

exactly. on Red Lynx's tracks I expect locked 60 fps in almost all circumstances, but once you hand control over to players it's going to be easy to strain the engine well beyond anything Red Lynx do in their tracks, and I believe the level designers will have full camera control too.

More eSRAM would help fitting more bandwidth hungry elements, but on PC do you have eSRAM ? Not at all, you just have a dedicated pool of GDDR5. Even with more eSRAM the X1 would still lack of brute power to compute the shaders (CU), and render +half a million pixels of it (ROPs), maybe it would still lack bandwidth overall as well. So you could theorically render in 1080p easier (fit all your main rendering stuff) but with what kind of penalty in framerate ?

I don't deny eSRAM is a problem, but it's not the only one, like it would magically make it perform like the PS4 with more eSRAM. It would help getting closer for sure.
Building a frame is multiple steps, we always hear about ROPs when it comes to reaching 1080p, but it's just the final stage of your frame, if you are 50% slower on your shading before you raster the final image for example, you keep that penalty in the end. All steps are kind of equally important.

The dev Sebbi at B3D says they [never] drop a frame, that was a design decision.
Sebbi said:
There aren't many 60 fps locked games on next gen consoles. We are locked 60 fps all the time, not fluctuating between 30-50 fps (when things start to happen) like most of the other "60 fps" games do. Also our rendering resolutions are higher compared to these games.
The locked framerate is impressive, but I don't think the bolded part is true. To the best of my knowledge, there's only one game with a truly locked 60fps on Xbox One, Forza 5. There are two on PS4: Trine 2 and Resogun. But all three of these also render at 1080p, so Trials Fusion isn't running at a higher resolution compared to them.

The locked framerate is impressive, but I don't think the bolded part is true. To the best of my knowledge, there's only one game with a truly locked 60fps on Xbox One, Forza 5. There are two on PS4: Trine 2 and Resogun. But all three of these also render at 1080p, so Trials Fusion isn't running at a higher resolution compared to them.

I believe he was saying they're the only game running specific, and demanding rendering techniques, and doing them at 900p, and a locked 60fps on the XB1. An example is deferred rendering, which I believe this game does. Forza does not use differed rendering.

kinggroin

Banned

Resogun drops frames bad

When level ends

The Crew is impressive in scope but it looks like crap even on PC (pax demo). Your are pretty much saying nothing.

Xb1 version was 800P pre patch?

Additionally, the game’s day one patch has been detailed, which will increase the resolution of the Xbox One version from 800p to 900p, and will improve the frame-rate of the PS4 version. Other fixes will deal with track central issues, leaderboard issues, and replays not being in sync. The game will release physically and digitally on Xbox One, PS4, and Xbox 360 on April 16th, with the PC version coming later on the 24th. Our review of Trials Fusion will go up on April 16th, accompanying the game’s official release.

OverHeat

« generous god »
Another game I buy for PS4 because of Resolution...so sad since Im an xbox player first why did you release a console with such a cheap gpu MS :(

Aj174

Neo Member
this game looks really neat, reminds me of that game i used to play on those arcade flash type sites.

question though, does this game have a first person view mode? that would be awesome

HTupolev

Does Forza 5 have any AA though? It looks rough for supposed 1080p.
Screenshots of the game indicate that it might have some kind of 2xMSAA early on in the rendering process, but that it gets broken to the point where it doesn't have much of an impact in the final image.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
this game looks really neat, reminds me of that game i used to play on those arcade flash type sites.

question though, does this game have a first person view mode? that would be awesome

Not one that you can just choose to use whenever you want to, but if it's like Evolution the level editor gives you a lot of control over the camera, letting you position it pretty much freely. So I'm sure there will be first-person levels created unless the editor is more limited this time around.

I think he meant effects rendering resolutions. Maybe they have full res buffer effects like Infamous for ex. Most of the game runs their effects at half res, or worse in some cases. Even if the main resolution is fullHD.

JesseDeya

Banned
thats why t10 is for many people regarded as of the fucking best, because they know what targets to hit.
and their achievement is not 1080. its a locked 1080p/60 on an engine that is definitely a big improvement on what they had in forza 4, and it was delivered day 1.

I'd argue that 1080p was indeed their achievement - and they boasted about it quite a bit...

https://twitter.com/xboxuk/status/398843677788753920

...of course that was until MS realised that even mentioning resolution this gen wasn't going to work out well for them.

Forza 5 is a compromise, it had to be to achieve their goals of 1080/60. I could go on about baked track lighting, no dynamic time of day, no weather, reduced AA, reduced content - but you already know that - choosing to ignore it doesn't make it less relevant.

If you honestly think the engine it was 'definitely a big improvement' from Forza 4 then you are implicitly stating that resolution matters (and a colour palette shift to look more like GT), because by and large that's all that changed.

Your reference to delivering it 'day 1' is far less impressive when Turn 10 freely admit they started work on Forza 5 before they had even released Forza 4, it got the normal product development cycle for a Forza game (which they claim is 2 years) and they had access to the Xbox One dev kits (or concept hardware) before any other first party developer.

Top Bottom