• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 207 Rondo Rousey vs Amanda Nunes |OT| No Love & NO MORE QUESTIONS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeoman

Based on what?
With Holly Holm everything aligned for her to be the perfect "anti-Ronda". She was tall, strong, fast, probably the best female striker in the UFC, and had geniuses forming her gameplan. Nunes on the other hand plays right into Ronda's skill set.
I recommend this article which sums it up perfectly:
https://sports.vice.com/en_uk/article/ronda-rousey-vs-amanda-nunes-a-strange-kind-of-mirror

Mark my words: Nunes is going to run out there and try to bang with Ronda, get into clinch with her, then subsequently get taken down and have her arm ripped out of her socket.

NYR

With Holly Holm everything aligned for her to be the perfect "anti-Ronda". She was tall, strong, fast, probably the best female striker in the UFC, and had geniuses forming her gameplan. Nunes on the other hand plays right into Ronda's skill set.
https://sports.vice.com/en_uk/article/ronda-rousey-vs-amanda-nunes-a-strange-kind-of-mirror

Mark my words: Nunes is going to run out there and try to bang with Ronda, get into clinch with her, then subsequently get taken down and have her arm ripped out of her socket.
Yep. This is true. Holm beat Rousey with her strength, I don't think it ever happens again, this will be a clench fest.

N° 2048

an hour and a half until prelims start.

HYPPEEE

5181639-4944971825-lol.g.gif

Kacho

I'll admit that I'm not as confident in Nunes as we get closer to the fight but I just can't buy Ronda as that type of threat anymore. Nunes is the superior striker and I don't see Ronda rushing in foolishly like she did with Holm so I expect to see some boxing in the early fight which could prove disastrous for Ronda. If it goes to the ground I'd still give the advantage to Nunes, at least in the early part. Rondas best bet IMO is to drag the fight out and attack when Nunes gets gassed.

Either way this fight is so hype. I can't friggin wait.

Chumley

Banned

Completely agreed. If Ronda loses it's because of her mental state going into this, and all signs so far point to her being completely prepared so I'd be shocked if she loses.

thenameDS

Cruz & Rousey please don't let me down and make my NYE celebrations even bigger ££.

So hyped for this tonight can't wait. Shame 206 didn't get a thread, was one of the best fight nights this year.

Yeoman

Or she gets tagged and her chin isn't what it was after HH. Some people lose it after getting ktfo like she did.
This is a possibility to be fair.
She suffered an absolutely brutal knockout, so we have no idea what her chin will be like going into this.
Still I honestly just feel that Nunes is going to get into clinch almost immediately, try and pull something like this:
JoyousFeminineAlbacoretuna.gif

(Nunes in black for those that don't know)
Then Ronda is going to kill her in 5 seconds flat.

RK9039

The most important thing that we may get from tonight is an update to the "thank you edmond" video. I'm not really supporting anyone but I love that video.

Syder

People downplaying Amanda Nunes' striking? Who's a better female striker in that weight-class?
If Nunes wins, it's going to be a Rnd 1 KO (or early in the 2nd if Amanda has stepped up her cardio game).
I can realistically see Rousey charging in with her incredible Judo and Nunes putting her on her ass. For Ronda's sake, I hope she has 'her chin back' after Holly.
...but if Ronda gets a successful takedown on Amanda I just don't think she'll have an answer to it.

That's what makes this fight so exciting.
AU7Amsc.gif

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Thinking about watching this through the PS4 live stream app. Has anyone here used it in the past? If so, how was the quality?

thatJohann

Thinking about watching this through the PS4 live stream app. Has anyone here used it in the past? If so, how was the quality?

I tried it a while back and it was horrible. Fully regret it. Pixelated low res. When I tried the Apple TV it was full HD and crystal clear. Not worth it on ps4.

jett

D-Member
If Ronda can't get the clinch and use her Judo, she's fucked.
If Ronda can get the clinch and use her Judo, Nunes is fucked.

My opinion but this is MMA so anything can happen. I love this sport damnit.

It really can go either way. This sport can be such a clusterfuck.

I dislike Rousey as much as the next person but I'm laughing at some of the comments in this thread, you guys are crazy; she is going to eviscerate Nunes.
I really hope I'm wrong because I'd love for another round of Ronda knockout GIFs, but the reality is that she's going to tear Nunes into bloody pieces.

I agree skill for skill Ronda is the much superior fighter. But I'm just not sure how the fight plays out due to her taking all this time off / how she will act after getting KO'D.

I'm still picking her for the win but if she doesn't I won't be shocked

giphy.gif

She will be knocked out before the second round ends.

I mean, are there people that really think Nunes is a better fighter than Ronda in her prime? I'm not sure very many people actually believe that. Even those picking Nunes to win.

But yeah Ronda very well may get KO'D again. Wouldn't be surprising at all

The Beard

People downplaying Amanda Nunes' striking? Who's a better female striker in that weight-class?
If Nunes wins, it's going to be a Rnd 1 KO (or early in the 2nd if Amanda has stepped up her cardio game).
I can realistically see Rousey charging in with her incredible Judo and Nunes putting her on her ass. For Ronda's sake, I hope she has 'her chin back' after Holly.
...but if Ronda gets a successful takedown on Amanda I just don't think she'll have an answer to it.

That's what makes this fight so exciting.
AU7Amsc.gif

She's not exactly Conor McNunes. She tagged a heartless Miesha Tate who curled up into a ball after her nose got broken. Ronda isn't going out like that. Ronda is in the best shape of her life (she looks amazing) and she's determined as hell to redeem herself or else she wouldn't be fighting tonight. I don't know what Miesha's deal was, but her last two fights were painful to watch.

ironcreed

Banned
I mean, are there people that really think Nunes is a better fighter than Ronda in her prime? I'm not sure very many people actually believe that.

But yeah Ronda very well may get KO'D again. Wouldn't be surprising at all

Nunes is an absolute monster right now on foot and on the ground. Rousey is way more out of her league here than she was against Holmes... period. The hype of Rousey is finished after tonight. Wait and see.

Sad because UFC 206 didn't even get a thread and it was one of the best events of the year and had the fight of the year.

If everyone is honest with themselves, Rousey carries the UFC now. Especially after Rampage Jackson, Bones Jones, and even the Spider are all down.

Nunes is an absolute monster right now on foot and on the ground. Rousey is way more out of her league here than she was against Holmes... period. The hype of Rousey is finished after tonight. Wait and see.

Nunes is a monster on the ground? Idk about all of that. Unless she rocks you first, she does have nice finishing ability. Off of her back she's looked vulnerable her whole career.

If everyone is honest with themselves, Rousey carries the UFC now. Especially after Rampage Jackson, Bones Jones, and even the Spider are all down.

Conor is a bigger draw than Rousey both at the gate and on PPV

The Beard

Lol.

Remember Conor McGregor? He only has like the top 3 or 4 highest grossing UFC PPV's of all time. Ronda's #'s aren't even close. Tonight is going to be pretty big though.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
I tried it a while back and it was horrible. Fully regret it. Pixelated low res. When I tried the Apple TV it was full HD and crystal clear. Not worth it on ps4.

Nope but seems to come up here from time to time and I recall a lot of regret posts.

Thanks for the input you two. Was having issues figuring out how I could order it on YouTube but got fed up and said fuck it. Ordered the livestream so another regret post may be coming but nonetheless I really value your feedback. :)

ironcreed

Banned
Nunes is a monster on the ground? Idk about all of that. Unless she rocks you first, she does have nice finishing ability. Off of her back she's looked vulnerable her whole career.

She knows Brazilian Jiu Jitsu on top of having a strong game on foot. I will take that over a Judo base 7 days a week and twice on Sunday. The book is out on Rousey and Nunes is a much larger threat than Holmes. Again, just watch and see.

thatJohann

Thanks for the input you two. Was having issues figuring out how I could order it on YouTube but got fed up and said fuck it. Ordered the livestream so another regret post may be coming but nonetheless I really value your feedback. :)

Happy to help. I'm debating whether to order the PPV for $60 on Apple TV. Gonna watch the first fights for free on fox sports go app and if I'm hyped up I'll pay the $60 for main event. Gonna go grab some beer now and make myself comfy in the couch. Haha

GAF hype me up!

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Sherdog is gross. Every other forum post is about Rousey's appearance.

People are so mean. Like, what the hell?

She knows Brazilian Jiu Jitsu on top of having a strong ground game. I will take that over a Judo base 7 days a week and twice on Sunday. The book is out on Rousey and Nunes is a much larger threat than Holmes. Again, just watch and see.

Nunes off of her back has looked mostly lifeless and unable to threaten with anything. Her TDD has also been traditionally poor. If this hits the mat it's Ronda's fight all day imo.

Thing is Nunes has big big power and Ronda may be gun shy. Nunes KOing her or rocking her then subbing Ronda wouldn't surprise me. Straight grappling though Rousey eats her alive

ironcreed

Banned
Nunes off of her back has looked mostly lifeless and unable to threaten with anything. Her TDD has also been traditionally poor. If this hits the mat it's Ronda's fight all day imo.

Thing is Nunes has big big power and Ronda may he gun shy. Nunes KOing her or rocking her then subbing Ronda wouldn't surprise me. Straight grappling though Rousey eats her alive

All Rousey has is an arm bar and she has been exposed. Nunes is going to eat her lunch.

Chesskid1

Banned
they just stopped the fight on fightpass due to a illegal knee to a downed opponent but its not illegal anymore because they changed the rules recently

lol ufc

NYR

All Rousey has is an arm bar and she has been exposed. Nunes is going to eat her lunch.
ronda_rousey_olympics.jpg

While I agree she has a fairly simple moveset, is vastly marketed and over-hyped, she is not is one dimensional and she has incredible skill. Do not under estimate her.

dream

lol@Nunes coming home to a hero's welcome of 7 people waiting at the airport, leading into a victory parade through the favelas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom