• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Capcom looking for fan feedback on MvC:O. You know what to do, minions.

I think I saw the living room picture before. It's some good art IIRC.

All artists are perverts. I refuse to believe otherwise. Blessings to them.
Drawing women is hard bro. So much easier just to load 'em up with some silicon and call it a day. Drawing people in general is hard, one of my pet peeves. That's why I stick to drawing cars all day long.

I just learned that in the new DmC game the main villain (Mundus) is the brother of the legendary dark knight Sparda....

ibzvEXKhOOVNag.gif
Give that meaning for me.

Dahbomb

Give that meaning for me.
Mundus was the main villain in DMC1. Originally he was referred to as Lucifer/Satan but Capcom had to change his name. He was the ruler of the demon world and Sparda was his top general. Sparda rebelled against him and defeated him to become the legend that he is today. Aside from both being demons there was no connection between the two, Mundus was just this ultimate evil that traumatized Dante and his family so it was his goal in life to defeat him (as was Vergil's among other motives).

In DmC, Mundus and Sparda are said to be brothers. That means that Dante and Vergil are going to kill their uncle/family.

In addition, it doesn't sound like Sparda did anything legendary in the DmC canon. Mundus is talking a lot of smack about Sparda and how he beat him/downed him when in the original canon it was the opposite. Also seems like Sparda was actually defeated/killed in battle when in the original canon his death/disappearance is a mystery to retain his legendary status.

Solune

She should have the Optic Blast assist.

I wish characters in general had better assists than the ones they've been given. Dante should have Acid Rain over Crystal. There should also be more 2 part assists like Doom Rocks, so Vergil should have s.S xx Upper Slash chain as an assist. And I don't want to get started on Hitstun decay for assists.

Zissou

Viscant said:
Structure just refers to how a match typically goes.  If you stick with one team for long periods of time you start to get used to the typical match flow. Like say you play a team like Wesker/Spencer/Doom. It’s pretty hard to TOD with this team with one hit from Wesker. It’s basically impossible to do it off an air throw or Mustang Kick without x-factor and Doom assist is designed to draw them into the air. You’re probably going to start a lot of matches with your first offensive action being an air throw. So a typical match structure is. 

1)  Wesker lands a throw, does full combo without using meter.  
2)  Spencer related reset ends successfully, Wesker completes the kill. Depending on character health some kind of meter expenditure is always necessary; if you’re lucky you won’t have to burn it all.

If meter is still plentiful:

3a)  Next touch will end in a level 3 and a dead character (since shades were off). Probably won’t be able to set up a Spencer related incoming because you needed a Spencer related reset to kill so you’ll have to earn that next touch. 

4a)  Any touch on the anchor leads to x-factor into relaunch into team super, you win. 4 touch match. 

If meter is not plentiful:  
You’re probably going to want to x-factor the 2nd character off the next touch so you can go up 3 on 1. Unless the anchor character is threatening (Phoenix, Vergil) then you’re going to want to save it and either snap in the problem or just make the 2nd character a 2 touch kill so you can hold onto your x-factor and play for XF3. 

The way Viscant thinks about match structure is interesting. I've seen him make similar comments about it on SRK, but not as detailed or with as many examples. It really highlights how/why certain teams do and do not work. How would you all explain typical match structure for your teams?

Mundus was the main villain in DMC1. Originally he was referred to as Lucifer/Satan but Capcom had to change his name. He was the ruler of the demon world and Sparda was his top general. Sparda rebelled against him and defeated him to become the legend that he is today. Aside from both being demons there was no connection between the two, Mundus was just this ultimate evil that traumatized Dante and his family so it was his goal in life to defeat him (as was Vergil's among other motives).

In DmC, Mundus and Sparda are said to be brothers. That means that Dante and Vergil are going to kill their uncle/family.

In addition, it doesn't sound like Sparda did anything legendary in the DmC canon. Mundus is talking a lot of smack about Sparda and how he beat him/downed him when in the original canon it was the opposite. Also seems like Sparda was actually defeated/killed in battle when in the original canon his death/disappearance is a mystery to retain his legendary status.
Hum. I knew all of that. I thought there was something more that made it more "WTF" than most of DmC. This seems right in line with that game to me. Making everything more XTREEEEEME.

The way Viscant thinks about match structure is interesting. I've seen him make similar comments about it on SRK, but not as detailed or with as many examples. It really highlights how/why certain teams do and do not work. How would you all explain typical match structure for your teams?
Typical match structure.

1) Am I able to get my opponent to block Round Trip once? If so, I win!
2) CHAOTIC FLAME!

Zoning teams don't have the kind of structure Viscant is talking about, because meter gets spent on punishing your opponent's mistakes, not on ending combos to guarantee kills.

I wish characters in general had better assists than the ones they've been given. Dante should have Acid Rain over Crystal. There should also be more 2 part assists like Doom Rocks, so Vergil should have s.S xx Upper Slash chain as an assist. And I don't want to get started on Hitstun decay for assists.
How is Molecular Shield a 2-part assist? It's just dp.M.

Yeah, better assists in general are needed. Acid Rain would be absurd.

Azure J

There was a combo I learned when I was messing with that team. Did about 900k with only one assist, iirc.

It was: cr.MH, TK M, s.H, TK M, s.MH, Seismo L, super jump, adf, j.HS, s.H, Seismo L, super jump, adf, j.HS, s.MHS, j.MMH, double jump, j.MMHS. From there you can do either Jam Session + Seismo x2, Burning Kick, or Varja + Seismo L, TK H, Seismo L.

I'm sure there's a way to fit both assists in there, and get even more damage, but I suck with Viper.

Also going to mess around with the Dante combo when I get the chance, just to see if there's any way to fit more damage in there.

Oooh, pretty.

Only reason why I haven't messed with Box Dash Loops and the like in these combos is because everything about it feels wonky to me at times. It's as if i cn hit it and know how to hit it, but it never becomes a reality more than 1/5th of the times I attempt it. Perhaps some buttons need omitting. Ah well, more time in the lab it is!

Tangent: Winning a match with a TK M through a projectile then feinted into a (mostly) walk up tick grab = I feel alpha as FUCK right now.

I just learned that in the new DmC game the main villain (Mundus) is the brother of the legendary dark knight Sparda....

ibzvEXKhOOVNag.gif

Wow, that's... Really bad.

I'm still not done learning my team, but my match structure should go like this:

1) Get an airthrow/hit on my opponent
2) TAC to Doom infinite till death
2a) raw tag to X-23, kill incoming character with inescapable dirt nap + lvl 1 x-factor
2b) kill incoming character with inescapable dirt nap + DHC

The way I play:

1)Get an airthrow/hit on my opponent, kill with Magneto/Doom god combo
2)go nuts
3)inevitably forced to rely on lvl 3 x-factor x-23 due to poor management
4)lose because I don't practice x-23

Typical match structure.

1) Am I able to get my opponent to block Round Trip once? If so, I win!
2) CHAOTIC FLAME!

Zoning teams don't have the kind of structure Viscant is talking about, because meter gets spent on punishing your opponent's mistakes, not on ending combos to guarantee kills.

That's why I included "minimizing hits" as part of my tier list, to accomodate zoners.

Dahbomb

He meant that there are two components to the actual move, the part where the rocks are circling around the character as a shield and the part where they fly out as projectiles.

He meant that there are two components to the actual move, the part where the rocks are circling around the character as a shield and the part where they fly out as projectiles.
It's still just one input, though. It's not of the same nature as Acid Rain.

A real 2-part input assist is Akuma's Demon Palm.

Hidden Missiles is technically a 6-part input assist.

Let's do a GAF Tier List! My input:

S-Tier:
  • TAC infinite + Dirt Nap
In terms of minimizing hits, this is the most flexible and reliable structure for going beneath 2 hits. For one hit and a high-percentage universal reset, you can guarantee the death of all 3 characters(excluding sentinel/morrigan).

Notable Potential Teams:

Zero/Dante/X-23
Magneto/Doom/X-23
Morrigan/Doom/X-23
Spencer/Sentinel/X-23
Doom/Ammy/X-23

• Unblockables, Unblockables Everywhere
Removing chances is a huge part of winning in UMVC3, and little does it as well as inescapable unblockable setups.

Notable Potential Teams:

C.Viper/Dante/---
C.Viper/Amaterasu/---
Firebrand/Skrull/Sentinel
Firebrand/Taskmaster/---
Firebrand/Dormammu/---
  • Chip Hell
Pressure Wins games, and there's nothing like putting a timer on your opponent's health bar that forces them to make bad and worse decisions in a predictable manner. They aren't called "cheap wins" for nothing.

Notable Potential Teams:

Morrigan/Doom/Hawkeye
Magneto/Dormammu/Doom
Viewtiful Joe/Rocket Raccoon/---
Dante/Strider/Morrigan
Vergil/Dormammu/Morrigan

A-Tier:

• Best Friends Forever
Like we all know, this game is dominated by archetypes. Undeniable pairings that can be moved around for a variety of playstyles and matchups make a huge portion of top-level play.

Notable Potential Teams:

Doom/Ammy/---
Magneto/Doom/---
Magneto/Sentinel/--
Zero/Dante/---
Wesker/Haggar/---
Wolverine/Akuma/---
Viper/Strider/--
Dante/Strider/--

• Clean Like Combofiend
Sometimes it's not about a strong gambit or a tried-and-true pairing. A great team that can be played in any order without losing strength takes a lot of options away from your opponent and always puts you in a winnable position.

Notable Potential Teams:

Nova/Spencer/Hawkeye
She-Hulk/Taskmaster/Spencer
Magneto/Storm/Sentinel
Dante/Vergil/Magneto
Doom/Ammy/Strider
  • Flip the Bird
Phoenix is heavily nerfed coming from Vanilla, but she still offers a unique pressure to the meta game and the only true combo breaker. If you let her out of the cage, it's an easy massacre. New TAC infinites add hope for Phoenix players in a time where more and more anti-Phoenix tech is developed.

Notable Potential Teams:

Magneto/Doom/Phoenix
Zero/Dante/Phoenix
Morrigan/Doom/Phoenix
Doom/Ammy/Phoenix
C.Viper/Doom/Phoenix

B-Tier:

• Lag Armor
If you can't be bothered to learn combos, mash dat H.

Notable Potential Teams:

Nemesis/Hulk/--
Hulk/Sentinel/--
Nemesis/Sentinel/--
Sentinel/Haggar/--
Haggar/Hulk/Chris

Shuma-Gorath can also TAC glitch.

Firebrand/Dormammu/Amaterasu is only a so-so team. Firebrand/Skrull/Sentinel is superior in every way.

It's an odd structure to have Morrigan/Doom/Hawkeye in S tier, and then Morrigan/Doom/--- in A tier.

Firebrand/Dormammu/Amaterasu is only a so-so team. Firebrand/Skrull/Sentinel is superior in every way.

It's an odd structure to have Morrigan/Doom/Hawkeye in S tier, and then Morrigan/Doom/--- in A tier.

Because Morrigan/Doom/Tron is clearly the worse team ^_^

but yeah, I should change that.

Dahbomb

Viper + Strider, Dante + Strider, Magneto + Sentinel, IM + Sentinel, Doom + Ammy, Firebrand + Ammy, Firebrand + IM (gotta give a shout out to my team) in BFFs.

Clean like Combofiend should also include MSS and Infrit's team.

Team Scrubs should be included:

Wesker/Vergil/Magneto
Wesker/Vergil/Strider
Wolverine/Wesker/Akuma
Wolverine/Vergil/Akuma

I think a MODOK/Doom/Strider is a top team as is any "BFF" team that has Vergil on anchor. Like for example Magneto/Doom/Vergil is a top team. Nova/Dante/Strider is 100% legit.

Viper + Strider, Dante + Strider, Magneto + Sentinel, IM + Sentinel, Doom + Ammy, Firebrand + Ammy, Firebrand + IM (gotta give a shout out to my team) in BFFs.

Clean like Combofiend should also include MSS and Infrit's team.

Team Scrubs should be included:

Wesker/Vergil/Magneto
Wesker/Vergil/Strider
Wolverine/Wesker/Akuma
Wolverine/Vergil/Akuma

I think a MODOK/Doom/Strider is a top team as is any "BFF" team that has Vergil on anchor. Like for example Magneto/Doom/Vergil is a top team. Nova/Dante/Strider is 100% legit.

Added the BFFs, what would you call the MODOK team?

Solune

Yeah, better assists in general are needed. Acid Rain would be absurd.

What Dahbomb said, it didn't have to be 2 inputs for the action to be considered, although that may have come across by mistake since I listed Acid Rain.

It's still just one input, though. It's not of the same nature as Acid Rain.

A real 2-part input assist is Akuma's Demon Palm.

Hidden Missiles is technically a 6-part input assist.
Akuma's Dive Kick only has one action though.
Repulsar Blast + Spread as an assist would be hot.
That would be so damn sick, hard knockdown after ambiguous setup? Fuck yeah. I'd actually learn Iron Man.
I think Skrull should get Fatal Buster after his Orbital Grudge assist and Spider-man Should get the Spider Bite follow up after Spider Sting. Both of these assists would become even better especially after a Crossover Counter and same for any other character with an assist lacking their followup. Iron Fist should have an assist that complete a whole rekka chain.
It's also strange that Ammy has an amazing movesets but has two "passive assists". Why not give her the Glaive groundbounce or Bead Whip string, although I suppose Cold Star has the latter covered. Instead she's stuck with Sucky Harmonizer and a subpar projectile counter.

If Firebrand/Dorm/Ammy is a so-so team, it just goes to show how well Zak Bennett plays.

What Dahbomb said, it didn't have to be 2 inputs for the action to be considered, although that may have come across by mistake since I listed Acid Rain.
-_-

Akuma's Dive Kick only has one action though.
The assist is Demon Flip + Kick, not jump + Dive Kick. Even if it were the dive kick, it would still be two inputs.

If Firebrand/Dorm/Ammy is a so-so team, it just goes to show how well Zak Bennett plays.
It's a fantastic Firebrand team, and he wins with Firebrand. It's a mediocre Dormammu team, and you'll notice that his Dormammu doesn't put in a lot of work once Firebrand is dead. Cold Star just isn't a great primary assist for him.

Dahbomb

Added the BFFs, what would you call the MODOK team?
I don't know what I would call that, I don't think a team tier list needs names for each tier. I think this is just a really solid team from top to bottom. MODOK gets full screen control with Missiles which allows him to play various match ups and Vajra gives him the hard knockdown into full combo. He can safe DHC into Doom or even TAC into Doom. Doom and Vajra is legit enough and of course Dark Strider in the back.

I don't know what I would call that, I don't think a team tier list needs names for each tier. I think this is just a really solid team from top to bottom. MODOK gets full screen control with Missiles which allows him to play various match ups and Vajra gives him the hard knockdown into full combo. He can safe DHC into Doom or even TAC into Doom. Doom and Vajra is legit enough and of course Dark Strider in the back.
I like Jam Session for MODOK more than Hidden Missiles. The reason being that at superjump height you can call Jam Session and catch people, and then drop into j.S for a full combo. Hidden Missiles won't do much for you at superjump height unless you can call the assist on top of your opponent. The value of Vajra still holds, though.

Dahbomb

I like Jam Session for MODOK more than Hidden Missiles. The reason being that at superjump height you can call Jam Session and catch people, and then drop into j.S for a full combo. Hidden Missiles won't do much for you at superjump height unless you can call the assist on top of your opponent. The value of Vajra still holds, though.
MODOK/Dante/Vajra... I like that.

smurfx

get some go again
alright i now did 514,600 damage with hawkeye with no meter and not taking poison into consideration. i think this might be the limit.

shaowebb

Drawing women is hard bro. So much easier just to load 'em up with some silicon and call it a day. Drawing people in general is hard, one of my pet peeves. That's why I stick to drawing cars all day long.

Drawing any person takes practice. Theres no laying out a proper image involving foreshortening, muscle definition, and squash/stretch appropriate to their body type without a lot of anatomy study (also a lot of geometric ground work before laying in the real linework).
Most folks tend to just use circles for the breasts but to be honest that doesn't really work because it means they are too firm and defy gravity to the point of denying them any sort of stretch. Best way is to draw the general upside down heart shape coming down under the neck in order to layout contour, but even that is a "loose" guide as position changes everything. Unless its a full frontal shot you'll generally be drawing one breast from the side and one from a front view. People also screw up drawing breasts because they forget that similar to guys a womans back is wider than her front. Its not as prominent on women (especially thin ones) when compared to shots of men who are body builder level like in comics who raise their arms and have the "cobra" look coming down from under their arm pits but its enough to make most new guys struggle as their breasts come out wider than their chests and NEVER show any of the woman's side coming out wide enough below the breasts around the waist and hips.

I use posemaniacs.com a lot for reference work on figure drawing given its a deskinned model that shows the muscle structure for study in addition to the pose. More folks should do the same when trying to draw humans. Perverseness doesn't really come into art when you have to be able to draw the nude form's physique properly in order to plot the layout for the clothing above to fold and droop properly.

Of course their are guys who get pretty far ignoring ALL the basics, but when they make mistakes they end up huge. Case in point is Rob Liefeld. The guy does a lot of detail, a lot of poses, was everywhere stupid popular in the 90's, and STARTS his drawings with a pen and draws only the finished version with zero preliminary linework or sketch layout to stage and plot his art. He goes in raw. Its amazing how far he got knowing that, but the guy has HORRIBLE problems with anatomy, posing, and a ton of other stuff because he skipped all those basics I mentioned and more. Its why you learn to walk before you run in art.

Okay, I'll shut up now. Plus side is I just finished my last class yesterday. Diploma in 2 weeks. Time to do some concept art and try to land some experience towards a bigger studio.

Okay, I'll shut up now. Plus side is I just finished my last class yesterday. Diploma in 2 weeks. Time to do some concept art and try to land some experience towards a bigger studio.

All I can imagine is you getting handed your diploma, followed by you yelling out "SPIRIT OF THE DRAGON" and performing that hyper IRL.

I hope they have insurance.

shaowebb

All I can imagine is you getting handed your diploma, followed by you yelling out "SPIRIT OF THE DRAGON" and performing that hyper IRL.

I hope they have insurance.

LOL!
I didn't go that far, but if it helps I did do a smoking flamey sort of fist as one of the pieces in my print portfolio several months back that rocked the Iron Fist colors.

b1g44.jpg

Chavelo

ggs Solune. Will write something up for tomorrow. For now: awesome Spencer, fuck helm breaker, and dem Doom air battles. :p

Why didn't you ask me like 5 hours ago? -_-

I can play you later this week if you need practice.

Just saw your post, Kars.

I think I have you added on PSN, if not, just find me and send me an invite when you see me online or on GAF (6:00PM to 12:00PM MST). Won't be able to jump on tomorrow due to Hot Wings Tuesday (YES! YES! YES!) or my weekly gatherings on Thursdays, but any other days I should be free.

LOL!
I didn't go that far, but if it helps I did do a smoking flamey sort of fist as one of the pieces in my print portfolio several months back that rocked the Iron Fist colors.

b1g44.jpg
Very cool looking.

Grats! I'd love to see some of your art sometime. If you have an online portfolio, do share it.

Loved reading the rest of what you said, too, but I don't have anything to add to it aside from an agreement at how terrible most artists are at drawing breasts. It's like they've never seen a naked woman who wasn't a porn star with implants.

I think I have you added on PSN, if not, just find me and send me an invite when you see me online or on GAF (6:00PM to 12:00PM MST). Won't be able to jump on tomorrow due to Hot Wings Tuesday (YES! YES! YES!) or my weekly gatherings on Thursdays, but any other days I should be free.
How about we plan for Friday?

Art is supposed to mimic reality not be reality. Supposed to be the artist's interpretation of reality. Sorry, just my take on it.

But that doesn't excuse just bad art.

I'd show you guys my art, but most of my more recent stuff is yaoi commisions for teenage girls in south korea.

But speaking of bad art, here's a 5-minute sketch I did of a legendary Resident Evil character during a composition lecture last week.

qwhbe.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom