• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaowebb

I'd show you guys my art, but most of my more recent stuff is yaoi commisions for teenage girls in south korea.

But speaking of bad art, here's a 5-minute sketch I did of a legendary Resident Evil character during a composition lecture last week.

qwhbe.png

Art-Gaf unite. Fun stuff. 5-minute sketches are always a blast to see. I've done a couple here before of really loose and silly stuff like Rocket Raccoon and rush job Bueno MODOK, but never got to see your style of loose sketches before. I'm digging the style. Reminds me of the Yoshitaka Amano style of sketch work thats really fluid. Has a cool vibe to it.

Also people can mock you for the Yaoi if they want for a gag, but I will say this...the angles involved in drawing people in those kind of positions takes some skill in foreshortening and a lot of anatomy knowledge to pose right. Everyone's gotta work.

Smurf every time we run into each other I wish this game had replay. Match had great ebb and flow.

In other news, I got smushed by the DorMorriDoom again, 23-7. Tried the main squad which was slightly better but still pretty yucky T_T I also managed to find that Morrigan can just duck under Charging Unibeam if I play the Avengers, so that sucks too -- just gonna stick with Spooder-Mang and try to thread the needle...repeatedly. Dat spider sense.

:'''''''''(

shaowebb

Smurf every time we run into each other I wish this game had replay. Match had great ebb and flow.

In other news, I got smushed by the DorMorriDoom again, 23-7. Tried the main squad which was slightly better but still pretty yucky T_T I also managed to find that Morrigan can just duck under Charging Unibeam if I play the Avengers, so that sucks too -- just gonna stick with Spooder-Mang and try to thread the needle...repeatedly. Dat spider sense.

Anytime I hear Spider-man and threading the needle together in a sentence all I can think of is MameSpider getting through Cl0ckwork's Doom setup at EVO 2012. Good memories. I hope to see more Spider-men this year.

Art-Gaf unite. Fun stuff. 5-minute sketches are always a blast to see. I've done a couple here before of really loose and silly stuff like Rocket Raccoon and rush job Bueno MODOK, but never got to see your style of loose sketches before. I'm digging the style. Reminds me of the Yoshitaka Amano style of sketch work thats really fluid. Has a cool vibe to it.

Also people can mock you for the Yaoi if they want for a gag, but I will say this...the angles involved in drawing people in those kind of positions takes some skill in foreshortening and a lot of anatomy knowledge to pose right. Everyone's gotta work.

I really like Amano, but my real drawings are much more precise because I specialize in perspective. Lots of environment stuff. My commissions have a big range, though because I always do a style rough for the client first and then change it. I have one that wants a realistic style, one more manga-esque and my new one I got yesterday is requesting something more towards Yoji Shinkawa. Unfortunately nobody commissions backgrounds because it costs more money :-(

I'm doing a few free commissions this month if anybody here wants in ^_^

I'd show you guys my art, but most of my more recent stuff is yaoi commisions for teenage girls in south korea.

But speaking of bad art, here's a 5-minute sketch I did of a legendary Resident Evil character during a composition lecture last week.

qwhbe.png
I like that.

Morrigan ducks under everything. Hell, I don't know if you caught it, but at Season's Beatings Flocker discovered the hard way that she can crouch under Round Trip (maybe only at some angles?). She's just ridiculously tiny, I love it.

Anyway, I was watching Jeo play, and it made me want to try Morrigan/Dormammu/Strider. I like Strider, but I wonder if he can survive without assists on point. Like, how much screen presence can his animal friends provide?

I really like Amano, but my real drawings are much more precise because I specialize in perspective. Lots of environment stuff. My commissions have a big range, though because I always do a style rough for the client first and then change it. I have one that wants a realistic style, one more manga-esque and my new one I got yesterday is requesting something more towards Yoji Shinkawa. Unfortunately nobody commissions backgrounds because it costs more money :-(

I'm doing a few free commissions this month if anybody here wants in ^_^
Free art? I'd love one of Vergil/Dormammu/Morrigan hanging out, with Morrigan in Astral Vision and Vergil in Devil Trigger.
I'm asking for way too much.

I like that.
Want me to draw you Dormammu? ^_^

It'll be a little wait because I have an illustration due(involving necromancy!) and a 3-week master copy of Tintoretto's Susannah and the Elders, but I can squeeze it in. I need to do some random stuff to build an online portfolio for commissions so I don't have to do these god damn style roughs every time.

edit: hmm... I'll see what I can whip up.

Want me to draw you Dormammu? ^_^

It'll be a little wait because I have an illustration due(involving necromancy!) and a 3-week master copy of Tintoretto's Susannah and the Elders, but I can squeeze it in. I need to do some random stuff to build an online portfolio for commissions so I don't have to do these god damn style roughs every time.
I'd love a drawing of Dormammu. Maybe with a pile of dust next to him that Dormammu has used his finger to write "HULK WAS HERE" with...

Solune

ggs Solune. Will write something up for tomorrow. For now: awesome Spencer, fuck helm breaker, and dem Doom air battles. :p

Nah my Spencer is garbage. GGs.

I've come to this sad realization that, I can't win without Zero... Time for me to get off the X wagon and get on #TeamLightningLoops

Hmm... since it's a team I think I'll go with a coat of arms. A Demon's Crest, if you will. Should diversify my drawings a bit.
If I could get you to draw a whole scene, there'd be twin Morrigans cooking/serving dinner while Dormammu and DT Vergil play chess, all while Firebrand is hovering outside in the rain, neglected. Just brings a smile to my face to think about it.

Also, I appeal to you all on my comments in this thread:
http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.ph...and-assists-thread.149074/page-8#post-7561402

Is my thinking not correct?

smurfx

get some go again

still salty over losing that match. -_-

If I could get you to draw a whole scene, there'd be twin Morrigans cooking/serving dinner while Dormammu and DT Vergil play chess, all while Firebrand is hovering outside in the rain, neglected. Just brings a smile to my face to think about it.
That one you can buy, too much going on to make look good in reasonable time ^_^

Besides, I already did a quick thumbnail of the coat of arms, lol

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.ph...and-assists-thread.149074/page-8#post-7561402

I posted, not sure how much I'm helping you though.

I agree with you.

That one you can buy, too much going on to make look good in reasonable time ^_^

Besides, I already did a quick thumbnail of the coat of arms, lol
Haha, but I have no money. :-(
I have $120,000 in student loan debt.

I posted, not sure how much I'm helping you though.

I agree with you.
You should put that in your next controversial post for the week. I'll take that opinion on.

Here's the general structure I'm gonna play around with before I start, sorry about the cellphone shot:

5eYx3.png

It'll probably take a week or so because I'm super busy and I have to get back to work now lol
This is why I'm not an artist. I don't know what's going on in that image aside from a needly dick sticking out, some fire, and some circles.

Actually, the image looks like it could be a monster from Okami, with the scratchy style you have going on.

Let me enjoy the final product - my tastes aren't sophisticated enough to appreciate the steps, haha.

shaowebb

That's why you don't show people your thumbnails lol

This. Your layout sketches are generally rough action lines and curves you can only use for generalized ideas of where you will putting things later on once you got time. The shit I've seen...

Anhow it looks like Dormington in the back, Vergil in the middle facing to one side and Morrigan in the front shooting soul fists everywhere while jumping in front of them with one leg bent if I'm judging your curves right. That about the layout you're going for here? Thumbnails are kind of like signatures and its hard to tell if you read what you thought you did in most cases.

This. Your layout sketches are generally rough action lines and curves you can only use for generalized ideas of where you will putting things later on once you got time. The shit I've seen...

Anhow it looks like Dormington in the back, Vergil in the middle facing to one side and Morrigan in the front shooting soul fists everywhere while jumping in front of them with one leg bent if I'm judging your curves right. That about the layout you're going for here? Thumbnails are kind of like signatures and its hard to tell if you read what you thought you did in most cases.
Ohhh, I can see it now.

Solune

This is why I'm not an artist. I don't know what's going on in that image aside from a needly dick sticking out, some fire, and some circles.

lmfaooooooo. This subject plus the revelation of your name just makes me loooooool.

--

Also Chavelo, I didn't mention in my previous post but, solid play all around. I HATE Taskmaster so much. Shut me down OCV alot haha. God damn drones.

lmfaooooooo. This subject plus the revelation of your name just makes me loooooool.
Dicks everywhere, man.

Also Chavelo, I didn't mention in my previous post but, solid play all around. I HATE Taskmaster so much. Shut me down OCV alot haha. God damn drones.
Taskmaster is one of those characters that is 100% free to my team, and you wouldn't know it unless you gave it a shot. The poor guy just has no answer at all to Stalking Flare. Taskmaster on point is likely a different story, though. Usually people have him second or on anchor.

That's it! Also, Tofu value rough LOL

i0uLq.png

Vergil questions:
If I Trick Down while an opponent calls Double Lariat assist, will it hit me?
If I Trick Down vs. Haggar while he's in Double Lariat, will it hit me?

Solune

This last page of blowups is great. I feel likee reliving more old Marvel posts now. :lol

On another note, two new videos from me:

Team Spy May Stride - "Fire & Ice" Dante Starter - 835K
Team Spy May Stride - Current Viper BnB - 935K

One day, I'll make a tech video I swear. All I do is combos nowadays.
Forgot to reply to this but yah, same. I feel like I am stuck on this plateau that I can't get over. Today after I faced Chavelo I was playing a friend and I just couldn't stop the stupid Wesker/Vajra incoming mixup I wasn't playing my main team but, that's just a poor excuse all around. That Viper combo looking MIGHTY fine though.
Taskmaster is one of those characters that is 100% free to my team, and you wouldn't know it unless you gave it a shot. The poor guy just has no answer at all to Stalking Flare. Taskmaster on point is likely a different story, though. Usually people have him second or on anchor.

Well you pretty much BBQd my Doom so, I wouldn't be surprised =p. Some matches I've been losing have been just to pure zoning, and Spencer has a tough time. Yah he has Bionic Arm, and you just do it but I don't know where I'm going with this. I just feel like shit after tonight. Some bad tangent.

Forgot to reply to this but yah, same. I feel like I am stuck on this plateau that I can't get over. Today after I faced Chavelo I was playing a friend and I just couldn't stop the stupid Wesker/Vajra incoming mixup I wasn't playing my main team but, that's just a poor excuse all around. That Viper combo looking MIGHTY fine though.
Wesker/Vajra is hard as hell to block. It's because there all these vanishing teleport lines everywhere and my brain just goes "lolwut?" as I get smacked to the ground. Too much to keep track of.

Well you pretty much BBQd my Doom so, I wouldn't be surprised =p. Some matches I've been losing have been just to pure zoning, and Spencer has a tough time. Yah he has Bionic Arm, and you just do it but I don't know where I'm going with this. I just feel like shit after tonight. Some bad tangent.
It's just how it is with Doom. Characters who can't do anything vs. Stalking Flare: Doom, Trish, Firebrand, Frank West (level 1), Nemesis, Phoenix Wright, Iron Fist, MODOK, She-Hulk, Spider-man, Taskmaster, Thor, Wolverine, Arthur, Chun-li, C. Viper, Felicia, Haggar, Hsien-ko, Morrigan (non-AV), Tron Bonne, Zero, Jill.

All super free to the flare spam. I included characters with level 3 responses because I'm glad to let them burn 3 bars while I X-Factor and watch them burn regardless.

Anyway, don't feel down about the evening. We all have bad nights.

Frantic

For Azure.

Probably potential for more damage/meter in there, but my execution was terrible while recording(my execution is always the worst when I want to record something, and my execution isn't that great to begin with), so I gave up. Maybe it'll give you some ideas, though.

LakeEarth

It's just how it is with Doom. Characters who can't do anything vs. Stalking Flare: Doom, Trish, Firebrand, Frank West (level 1), Nemesis, Phoenix Wright, Iron Fist, MODOK, She-Hulk, Spider-man, Taskmaster, Thor, Wolverine, Arthur, Chun-li, C. Viper, Felicia, Haggar, Hsien-ko, Morrigan (non-AV), Tron Bonne, Zero, Jill.

All super free to the flare spam. I included characters with level 3 responses because I'm glad to let them burn 3 bars while I X-Factor and watch them burn regardless.

Could Doom do a ground finger lasers, so the bottom one would get under the flare and smack Dorm on recovery? Or are they too slow?

But I figure you're talking about good activations, not the reckless kind.

Azure J

I know that feeling. Sometimes, it feels like I rely on my ninja too much for that easy in. I mean, sure it's there for that, but then when you feel like you're over-reliant on it, you want to find different applications for it (especially with a team as flexible as mine) and then you have to find different little tricks or ways in and then your work load doubles on the spot. Not that I don't like it, but I'm not retaining much info on other things doing that.

Thanks for the Viper combo shoutout though. :)

For Azure.

Probably potential for more damage/meter in there, but my execution was terrible while recording(my execution is always the worst when I want to record something, and my execution isn't that great to begin with), so I gave up. Maybe it'll give you some ideas, though.

The very first combo is amazing. I never thought of using the two assists in rapid succession, I'm always stuck in a pattern of "before wall bounce = use first assist; after wall bounce = use second assist". That one was an eye opener.

The second combo I actually did in one take of the other two videos (I chopped up some footage from another long video of me in training mode to get those two I made yesterday) trying to make uber meter build combos and also trying to see what would happen if I did Shot Loops - Wallbounce - FrostBurn OTG starter - One more full Clay Pigeon rep - Reverb xx Super as an ender to another combo.

Viper is dabess. Also, poor execution while recording is pretty much the reason why Jam Sessions videos are always like that. Now that I can cut potions from videos though? Definitely going to ease up on that. :lol

I also like how no one commented on the musical choice in that video. Smash 64's Bonus Stage Theme is a top tier BGM. Final note: you should have made your video a response to mine! The GAF tech crew needs to be unified after all. :p

Chavelo

How about we plan for Friday?

Sounds good. Will prolly stay in for the weekend and grind it out on Borderlands 2 and UMVC3 instead of going out. >.<

you aren't playing on 360 no more chavelo?

Still am, I just jump back and forth between consoles since my friends have an affinity towards Sony products. Stupid consoles and stupid developers making consoles-exclusive fighting games :(

Will prolly add some more time into my Gold membership in a few days. :D

Nah my Spencer is garbage. GGs.

I've come to this sad realization that, I can't win without Zero... Time for me to get off the X wagon and get on #TeamLightningLoops

I dunno man, you were getting a hang of my shenanigans, especially with that one match and getting me with like three command grabs in a row. Are those anti-air grabs? Should pick him up as an alt.

Also, I've been trying to start doing those super-jump tri-dashes that come down with an air M for offensive pressue. I think I got you on the first match with a lucky hit. Any tips on how to work on those? I just freak out and forget to do the dash down and then the M

Dahbomb

I don't see the argument here... Zero is obviously the #1 character in the game for a reason why is Firebrand even being compared to him? It's like saying why use Wesker when you can use Zero? Or why use Storm when you can use Magneto?

That said Firebrand has scarier mix up from lock down assists thanks to his unblockable and instant overhead. While pinned down Zero doesn't have good mix ups and it's usually in the corner with a Buster loaded does he get his mix ups. Firebrand also has faster normals when they are both touching each other and he has hypers that he can use in the air (that is always very good to have in this game vs not having it). Also comparing his command dashes to air dashes is not really that relevant because even if a singular command dash is worse tihan a single air dash Firebrand can chain 3 of them together and rapidly change directions if needed plus he also has a dive kick and bon voyage giving him easy mode aerial conversions compared to other aerial characters. Combining all of these tools his mobility is really strong and doesn't actually have much problem getting in/applying pressure especially with assists.

While I agree that Firebrand's unblockable is what keeps him within the scare factor characters in the game, his other tools are also pretty good and he is a viable character without the unblockable.

I think the better argument is Tatsu vs Tenderizer. IMO in this game getting the initial hit and having more utility in the neutral is more important than what you can do after you have got the initial hit. Tatsu is the winner here because even if they block Tatsu on the ground that's an instant overhead waiting to happen. Firebrand also has no trouble converting off of Tatsu hits and it really enhances his defense/offense in the mid area. Tenderizer in the neutral is worthless but it gives him the 300%. Personally speaking if you have good incoming mix ups with Firebrand and a good assist like Tatsu, you can greatly increase your chances of continuously opening up the opponent (like Cold Stars) without relying on the unblockable. However if FB has another assist to cover him in the neutral like let's say in the team FB/Skrull/Sentinel then that's a team where Tenderizer is superior to Tatsu.

Could Doom do a ground finger lasers, so the bottom one would get under the flare and smack Dorm on recovery? Or are they too slow?

But I figure you're talking about good activations, not the reckless kind.
It's a tight situation. I'm always talking about what happens in a blocked Purification x Stalking Flare vs. an opponent when I talk about helplessness. If I'm too slow to cancel the Purification, Photon Array can just barely pass under Stalking Flare. If I do it right, the flare just barely eats Photon Array and hits Doom.

I tend to spam 1D2C against Doom anyway, because there's nothing he can do about it, and it doesn't cost meter.

I don't see the argument here... Zero is obviously the #1 character in the game for a reason why is Firebrand even being compared to him? It's like saying why use Wesker when you can use Zero? Or why use Storm when you can use Magneto?
Different characters have different virtues. I honestly don't subscribe to the "Zero is the best in the game" mythology. Zero and Wesker have nothing in common. Zero and Firebrand have very similar playstyles, though, which is why I think it's worthwhile to compare them.

LakeEarth

It's a tight situation. I'm always talking about what happens in a blocked Purification x Stalking Flare vs. an opponent when I talk about helplessness. If I'm too slow to cancel the Purification, Photon Array can just barely pass under Stalking Flare. If I do it right, the flare just barely eats Photon Array and hits Doom.
That's what I figured. If you do Stalking Flare raw, some characters might be able to get through (ie. I think Nemesis tentacles might go through at the right spacing), but once the ball moves away from Dorm's hands it is over.

is the learning curve for doom pretty high? i was thinking about picking him up to use in certain matchups, or just putting together a spencer/??/doom team.

LakeEarth

is the learning curve for doom pretty high? i was thinking about picking him up to use in certain matchups, or just putting together a spencer/??/doom team.

It takes a little getting used to. I usually gravitate to simpler charters, but I put a bit of time into him and now he's one of my best characters, so he can't be that hard.

Azure J

OK, a bunch of discoveries before I have to depart for a bit:

- Burn Kick assist is actually stupidly good for Dante confirmed. On top of the bits of work I did yesterday (which included using her for a third Sky Dance - Beehive reset, unblockables with c.M & etc.) I just found out that anytime that assist makes contact with you (especially off a Volcano), you can do a delayed Grapple and force a reset.

- I had the weirdest glitch ever happen to me juggling a MODOK in training mode. You know how with certain characters (Dormammu especially), it's hard to do even the modified 2 shot version of Cold Shower - Stinger wall bounce without crossing up? MODOK got juggled and hit with Stinger, but because of his hit box being weird in a similar fashion, he actually carried Dante full screen as Stinger hit with the back end of the animation there (i.e. it crossed up under him). Even weirder, MODOK wall bounced but Dante went off screen a la the Morrigan/Strider glitch. It fixed however when I moved Dante forward back into camera range.

- After Viper's EX Seismo, it's possible to side switch. EX Seismo - Jump Canceled FADC - s.M/H - shenanigans.

Solune

I dunno man, you were getting a hang of my shenanigans, especially with that one match and getting me with like three command grabs in a row. Are those anti-air grabs? Should pick him up as an alt.

Also, I've been trying to start doing those super-jump tri-dashes that come down with an air M for offensive pressue. I think I got you on the first match with a lucky hit. Any tips on how to work on those? I just freak out and forget to do the dash down and then the M

Yah those are anti-air grabs. I need it because I call Marvel Upback MvC3 now.

Depends on the height but, you seemed to have it down after a Drones hitconfirm. If they are grounded just go into c.MHS. If they are jump height go into j.MM F+H S. You did pretty fine if you ask me. I didn't really see any glaring issues in your defense. I was too busy shaking my head all night long =p.

--

Tangent, finally picked up Spiderman and I can't do a BnB to save my life. Then I found this and said I'm never gonna be able to do it, but I'm still gonna try Xero18 Spiderman Combos

Also dropped Chris/Morr/Strider to Chris/Dante/Strider and switched the Zero team to Zero/Storm/Sentinel. I hate having a team crisis ;_;

Thinking of dropping Doom too... or switching back to Plasma beam.

mr. puppy

Banned
Man cold star is easy to punish. It stays out forever if you wiff it and ammy is just flying in the air.. Anybody with a diagonal air beam just fucks me up way to hard. Fuck you taskmaster players who super on entrance.

mr. puppy

Banned
okay currently i can pull some zak bennett style blender with strange/ammy......I get a TAC death from vergil->strange, then put an Eye out and bring in vergil while callling cold star ASAP. Now I just need to learn Vergil mixups lol.

That's what I figured. If you do Stalking Flare raw, some characters might be able to get through (ie. I think Nemesis tentacles might go through at the right spacing), but once the ball moves away from Dorm's hands it is over.
Here's one that no one knows about, so I still spam Stalking Flare: even after a blocked Purification, Ghost Rider can just dash forward and s.H through the Flare. -_-

I met one Ghost Rider who knew the trick. I tend to play the flares based on how smart my opponent is. Some Wesker players can't get around it, so I just chip them down. The vast majority do, though. I've never met a Hawkeye player that knows the trick.

I think Firebrand is more like a Magneto than a Zero. Zero is more in the Dante archetype.
Nah, Zero and Firebrand have a lot in common:
1) Mediocre hypers.
2) Mediocre assists.
3) Aerial rushdown.
4) Primarily rely on left/right mix-ups.
5) Only viable on point.

You can pick Magneto for his assists, unique DHC capabilities, team support, etc.

movement? i thought all you had to do was fly and finger laser from the far side of the screen

/Kappa
Until you face a Strider!

Man cold star is easy to punish. It stays out forever if you wiff it and ammy is just flying in the air.. Anybody with a diagonal air beam just fucks me up way to hard. Fuck you taskmaster players who super on entrance.
That's the main reason isn't not a good primary assist for Dormammu. You don't want him to be close enough for the call to pin your opponent in the first place, haha. And if you're tridashing, then it doesn't matter what assist you use for teleport cross-ups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom