• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

Nah, Zero and Firebrand have a lot in common:
1) Mediocre hypers.
2) Mediocre assists.
3) Aerial rushdown.
4) Primarily rely on left/right mix-ups.
5) Only viable on point.

You can pick Magneto for his assists, unique DHC capabilities, team support, etc.
The first 2 and the last one are very non-specific. The case could be made that Spider Man, Captain America, Skrull, Jill, Ghost Rider, Tron, Nemesis are like those characters because they are point characters with mediocre assists and hypers.

Firebrands 2 most potent mix ups are his instant overhead and his unblockable, neither is a right/left mix up. Zero on the other hand is almost entirely a right/left character and that's his primary method of mixing up characters. Firebrand also has a superior throw game, he can combo solo off of throws in many situations where Zero can't. Unless I am playing the character wrong most of the ways I open up someone with Firebrand is one of those methods with the occasional derp Bon Voyage/Dive Kick.

The only point in that list that I can agree with is aerial rushdown but Zero shines more when he is playing the aerial footsies/projectile wars. Zero gets most of his hits by making the opponent come to him after which they either land in his normals, the lightning or the Buster. Firebrand on the other hand is more focused on getting in using his dashes, Bon Voyage, dive kick etc because his fireballs do not compete with Buster/Lightning. I am not saying Zero's rushdown is bad by any mean (it's really good obviously) but the way the character was designed with his mediocre ground movement he is basically meant to be more defensive than offensive.

mr. puppy

Banned
That's the main reason isn't not a good primary assist for Dormammu. You don't want him to be close enough for the call to pin your opponent in the first place, haha. And if you're tridashing, then it doesn't matter what assist you use for teleport cross-ups.

Yeah at the moment I'm trying to learn when to use cold star and mainly focus on just using Strange's beam for incoming stuff. I want to rely more on Strange I think but I'm still not sure.

Also, I don't think ammy's reflect assist is terrible. Its not good, but when you face a spammer it can be alright if you have two other teleporters on your team.

The first 2 and the last one are very non-specific. The case could be made that Spider Man, Captain America, Skrull, Jill, Ghost Rider, Tron, Nemesis are like those characters because they are point characters with mediocre assists and hypers.
That's why we care about what is sufficient for their likeness, not merely what is necessary.

Yeah at the moment I'm trying to learn when to use cold star and mainly focus on just using Strange's beam for incoming stuff. I want to rely more on Strange I think but I'm still not sure.

Also, I don't think ammy's reflect assist is terrible. Its not good, but when you face a spammer it can be alright if you have two other teleporters on your team.
Er, are you using Eye of Agamotto or Bolts of Balthakk?

Ammy's reflect assist is absolutely awful. Frame data on it is 31/24, which means you have to know a full half-second that you will need the assist before you call it. You're far more likely to get Amaterasu killed than you are to reflect anything. It wins my award for "Worst Assist in the Game" because you are literally better off not calling it than calling it.

mr. puppy

Banned
Er, are you using Eye of Agamotto or Bolts of Balthakk?

Ammy's reflect assist is absolutely awful. Frame data on it is 31/24, which means you have to know a full half-second that you will need the assist before you call it. You're far more likely to get Amaterasu killed than you are to reflect anything. It wins my award for "Worst Assist in the Game" because you are literally better off not calling it than calling it.

I use bolts, I don't see a point to have eye and cold star, and I can normally through out an Eye on incoming if I've brought in Strange during a combo and tag out to Vergil and get his stufff going with cold star.

By the way if anyone has some clutch Firebrand tech I am all ears. Going to be grinding out with FB for the week in preparation for the tournament. I am particularly interested in easy mode XF1 TODs in case I need to off a problem character.

Right now I am looking at these: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcAuKxEHhFQ

What tourney is this? Is there a major this weekend?

I will take anything. I just want FB exclusive stuff, no team synergy tech.
Solo stuff, hmm.

-At jump height, qcb.M into j.H randomly hits once or twice overhead.
-j.L to qcf.S connects only in Luminous Body
-Jump, double-tap to wall cling, L to fireball, wavedash is his best way to get in
-If you're going to zone, his ghetto fireball wall is upback, back, L, qcf.L, all as fast as you can
-dp.M, cancel into Luminous Body on block, leaves you in flight for low overheads into lows
-after an air throw, qcb.M, j.H to get to the ground faster to OTG with Hell Spitfire H
-after your first launch only, j.H, qcb.M, j.H is a good way to get damage without using your bounces
-mash dp.H during his level 3, haha
-after a dive kick, j.S into s.LMH usually connects, but not always
-his dive kick is really goddamn slow (17 frames IIRC), don't treat it like Wolverine/Trish
-jumping forward into j.H for the option select is a good idea if you have assists covering you
-Bon Voyage (air) leaves you like +10 on block; people like to chicken block afterward, so c.L will catch them. Alternate between c.L after Bon Voyage and j.H to catch chicken blockers
-Against a cornered opponent, in Luminous Body, you can j.L to Bon Voyage until you run out of the buff
-If you throw a fireball and cancel into Luminous Body, AGing the fireball will not pushblock Firebrand
-On an incoming opponent, your best solo setup is aerial Bon Voyage into j.H. If you time it right, it's an excellent tick throw

That's everything off the top of my head.

Yeah, at least Bloom actually gets to do something before inviting the other guy to kill Ammy.

LakeEarth

Nemesis at least has one really good hyper (the rocket one). Above average damage, otg, and it corners your opponent leading to great positioning and easy dhc's. Rockets whiffing isn't a biggie as long as you dash first.

His armor one is very limited, and his level 3 is terrible. No invulnerability. Thor's level 1 grab is better. So overall I guess you could say they're mediocre.

Dahbomb

What tourney is this? Is there a major this weekend?
ROFL NO!!!! This is just a local. I don't even expect to do good.

-On an incoming opponent, your best solo setup is aerial Bon Voyage into j.H. If you time it right, it's an excellent tick throw
This is legit. I use BV as a meaty set up but never really thought about the throw afterwards.

I know about the wall cling into fireball approach thing, learned it from watching Zak but I am not fully competent with it yet. I will probably try to grind it and see if I am comfortable with it.

Thanks for the info.

ROFL NO!!!! This is just a local. I don't even expect to do good.

This is legit. I use BV as a meaty set up but never really thought about the throw afterwards.

I know about the wall cling into fireball approach thing, learned it from watching Zak but I am not fully competent with it yet. I will probably try to grind it and see if I am comfortable with it.

Thanks for the info.
The fun thing about the Bon Voyage setup is that if you do j.H too soon and get a j.H, your opponent blocks, so you cancel into Bon Voyage, and try again!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So close to that OT3. Who has the final say on the new name? Enzo?
I think "To infinites... and beyond!" is too godlike to not be the title. Shout outs to Dahbomb.

Unless somebody can come up with something in the clutch that's better.

mr. puppy

Banned
By the way if anyone has some clutch Firebrand tech I am all ears. Going to be grinding out with FB for the week in preparation for the tournament. I am particularly interested in easy mode XF1 TODs in case I need to off a problem character.

Right now I am looking at these: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcAuKxEHhFQ

what is your firebrand team? are you using firebrand/iron man/akuma? i can give you mixup stuff with akuma lockdown and beams, its not that different from the jam session/task arrows stuff i used to do. now i use upward arrows for shit though.

Dahbomb

Sentinel has replaced Akuma on the squad. Drones are too good for IM to pass up if you want to play a competitive IM team (Tatsu works too but Drones better for him). Drones good with FB too. Akuma might be rotated in if the wack bot ends up being a major liability so I am all ears on the tech.

What's going on in Marvel today?
MorriganDoom, Aftershocks 2 EC v WC edition (very likely), the infamous tie between FChamp and Tayson, TAC infinites, #YoloFootDive, Dark Vergil Rising/Motivated, Mexican Marvel, UMVC3 possibly going #Esports.

shaowebb

I messed around showing my brother a little bit about this game after he put it down for awhile and after dorking around with strange I can't help, but feel this guy is untapped. Is it his long recovery on certain moves that makes people not play him? He's got some good mixups with a lockdown assist and his combos and tools are pretty fun. His loops look like they take some practice, but he doesn't look bad.

I didn't really mess with him much and I've never really studied the guy. Any theoryfighters got their spreadsheets handy to throw out a list of his biggest problems? It'd be nice to try and work out a team plan for the guy that covers his issues sort of like when we were brainstorming Iron Fist team building strategies a few pages back.

Sigmaah

Vergil doesn't really take any skill besides doing his loops, other than that, FUCK THAT POWER RANGER.

FUCK HIS INFINITY REACH.
FUCK HELM BREAKER.
FUCK SPIRAL SWORDS.
FUCK RAPID SLASH.

Infinite

Solo stuff, hmm.

-At jump height, qcb.M into j.H randomly hits once or twice overhead.
-j.L to qcf.S connects only in Luminous Body
-Jump, double-tap to wall cling, L to fireball, wavedash is his best way to get in
-If you're going to zone, his ghetto fireball wall is upback, back, L, qcf.L, all as fast as you can
-dp.M, cancel into Luminous Body on block, leaves you in flight for low overheads into lows
-after an air throw, qcb.M, j.H to get to the ground faster to OTG with Hell Spitfire H
-after your first launch only, j.H, qcb.M, j.H is a good way to get damage without using your bounces
-mash dp.H during his level 3, haha
-after a dive kick, j.S into s.LMH usually connects, but not always
-his dive kick is really goddamn slow (17 frames IIRC), don't treat it like Wolverine/Trish
-jumping forward into j.H for the option select is a good idea if you have assists covering you
-Bon Voyage (air) leaves you like +10 on block; people like to chicken block afterward, so c.L will catch them. Alternate between c.L after Bon Voyage and j.H to catch chicken blockers
-Against a cornered opponent, in Luminous Body, you can j.L to Bon Voyage until you run out of the buff
-If you throw a fireball and cancel into Luminous Body, AGing the fireball will not pushblock Firebrand

That's everything off the top of my head.

Damn thanks for this.

I kinda use the Zak incoming setup which is Bon Voyage if they block Jump H/ Airthrow, if they tech dive kick?

Mexican Marvel

Speaking of which, a friend of mine was unlucky enough to get KaneBlueRiver as his first opponent (I got the guy that won that joke of a tournament I mentioned before lol). IIRC the team he's planning on using is Joe/Spencer/Strider not sure if in that exact order. In theory, what do you guys think he should do for that match? He also has a team with Tron, Doom, and Spencer btw.

Sigmaah

How do I get in with Dante? Shit is mad hard with him ever since his nerfs. I get demolished when I'm playing Dante... All I can do is j.S and then cancel into hammer or whatever that shit is called. It works but I need something better!

Infinite

This is the gif I would use when a Captain America player gets blown up on a stream

tumblr_mbaq0k235x1qdlh1io1_400.gif

IF THERE WERE ANY

Dahbomb

Vergil doesn't really take any skill besides doing his loops, other than that, FUCK THAT POWER RANGER.

FUCK HIS INFINITY REACH.
FUCK HELM BREAKER.
FUCK SPIRAL SWORDS.
FUCK RAPID SLASH.
You mad bro?

Get good.

Also Dante has air dash H, ground dash, Devil Trigger dash and teleport to get in. He is actually supposed to be played as a zoner so throw those projectiles.

Anyone know a basic reset for Dante? I want to play him with Phoenix, so no supers.
With assists he has plenty. Grapple + low or high hitting assist is the dirtiest set up in the game.

Sigmaah

You mad bro?

Get good.

Also Dante has air dash H, ground dash, Devil Trigger dash and teleport to get in. He is actually supposed to be played as a zoner so throw those projectiles.

With assists he has plenty. Grapple + low or high hitting assist is the dirtiest set up in the game.

I ain't mad, just speaking the truth.

Dante a zoner? I guess I'll try it out.

mr. puppy

Banned
I messed around showing my brother a little bit about this game after he put it down for awhile and after dorking around with strange I can't help, but feel this guy is untapped. Is it his long recovery on certain moves that makes people not play him? He's got some good mixups with a lockdown assist and his combos and tools are pretty fun. His loops look like they take some practice, but he doesn't look bad.

I didn't really mess with him much and I've never really studied the guy. Any theoryfighters got their spreadsheets handy to throw out a list of his biggest problems? It'd be nice to try and work out a team plan for the guy that covers his issues sort of like when we were brainstorming Iron Fist team building strategies a few pages back.

his biggest problem from my like one week of playing him is that he needs momentum to get started. a lot of his setups require him to put stuff on the screen which is slower for him than say dorm or morrigan, so you gotta give him a lockdown assist of some sort. I use ammy at the moment, but i really think vergil/strange/dante is probably a better idea.

Darksim

Didn't know Dante could get a full combo off cold shower without using prop shredder.[/URL]

I don't think anyone knew this because we all tried it back in Vanilla where this doesn't work. I'm still pretty shocked that this works, I can't wait to go into training mode and test this out.

My patience is wearing thin with this game. I've been losing to some weird ass teams:

Frank/Chris/haggar
Hulk/Morrigan/iron man
Storm/viper/trish

I really need to stop playing this online for a while. Gonna go finish jet set radio hd for the time being.

/salt.

Nert

those aren't weird teams. you will have to get used to different teams so just be happy you got play them.

Ever since hitting fourth lord and above, I cherish the opportunity to play against more unique teams like that on ranked. Hell, any chance to play against something other than someone calling Hidden Missiles repeatedly is something that I've learned to appreciate.

I think "To infinites... and beyond!" is too godlike to not be the title. Shout outs to Dahbomb.

Unless somebody can come up with something in the clutch that's better.
Nothing can beat it.

Damn thanks for this.

I kinda use the Zak incoming setup which is Bon Voyage if they block Jump H/ Airthrow, if they tech dive kick?
If they tech, dive kicking is awkward because if it gets pushblocked you're sitting in the air with nothing to do half a screen away. People honestly rarely tech it. The bigger problem is landing the OTG into a full combo consistently. It's finicky as hell.

Who's the best characters to pair with DormDoom?
Probably Magneto.

My patience is wearing thin with this game. I've been losing to some weird ass teams:

Frank/Chris/haggar
Hulk/Morrigan/iron man
Storm/viper/trish

I really need to stop playing this online for a while. Gonna go finish jet set radio hd for the time being.

/salt.
Variety is the most beautiful part of this game.

smurfx

get some go again
man haggar is really starting to become the trench coat killer for me. i've been going through a ton of those teams lately. many vergil players seem to not respect haggar at all.

Chavelo

Holy shit, I just realized we're on the 200th page...

QUICK, COME UP WITH SOME AWESOME MATCH VIDEOS FOR THE NEW OP AND THREAD TITLES!

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| Rise of the Doombots
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| AKA the DBZ vs Avengers thread
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| Dahbomb was right. D:
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| Our other OTs are the weekly general fighting game threads
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| Dahbomb, when the hell will you get a console to play online?

Chris G vs Filipino Champ SB:A FT15 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p212iPnq7mA
Mame Spider vs Clockwork EVO 2012 Pools - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_BKB34iBM8
IFC Yipes vs Chris G Summer Jam 6 GF - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GauAdTvauVM&feature=share&list=SP5934AC5EC1506027

Azure J

Sorry, smurf & anyone else that wanted to play, I fell asleep last night early. Would anyone like to play in about an hour or so? I'm trying to unwind from getting out early for a job application spree.

On a bit of tangent, I need some time stamps for the awesome Dantes that were at SB:A asap.

Probably Magneto.

Team Capes is like the Marvel side equivalent to Team Trenchcoats/Longcoats.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| Allow Me to Share My Dream, For The Sequel
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| I've fought in more theory wars than you can count.
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| All My Friends Are Doom Missiles
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| 6 missiles. More than enough to kill anything that moves.

Nert

Sorry, smurf & anyone else that wanted to play, I fell asleep last night early. Would anyone like to play in about an hour or so? I'm trying to unwind from getting out early for a job application spree.

On a bit of tangent, I need some time stamps for the awesome Dantes that were at SB:A asap.

Team Capes is like the Marvel side equivalent to Team Trenchcoats/Longcoats.

I'm up for some games on 360 (gamertag: FloralCat), if you still want to play (I don't have a mic, though).

Edit: Started a lobby if anyone else wants to play, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom