• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Marz

PR rog also gets away with a lot of stuff he really shouldnt IMO. I don't know if people just get intimidated by him or what.

Onemic

Is Zero the quintessential fighting game character that isn't at all fun to play, but people play him anyway because he's so op once you get him to a certain level? Zero was the very first character I ever wanted to play when I got UMvC3, but I quickly noticed how unfun learning him was. I tried him again due to my recent success with finally figuring out Vergil and man is learning him not fun whatsoever. Fuck that dude.

Dahbomb

Nah I actually do find his options fun to play with. The only thing unfun about him are his combos and Buster into Lightning. I like his charging mechanic, his mobility options, his special moves and his hypers. He is like an all around character capable of defensive play and offensive pressure sort of like Dante. Vanilla Zero if his scaling values were adjusted would be a fair and honest character (as can be in a Marvel game) but still very strong.

Vice

This is why I only play people on my friends list or people from GAF. I'd rather not deal with the bad sportsmanship and "Play one game then leave" mindset of some online players.
I'd rather play a long set against someone who is a good sport about it.

Could anyone here give me some Nova tips?
Perhaps Racketpunch? Or The Mango Sentinel?
All I really know so far is:
Approach:
-Box dash H.
-Tridash L
-c.M
Combos:
-Can do basic combos off airthrow, using dp L to otg if far away and f.H if close.
-My regular combo is hitconfirm into: c.MHS j.MMH qcb S j.MHS f.H A1(triple arrow) dp M xx dp AA(or go for airthrow reset)
-In the corner I can do human rocket punch loops.
-I'm aware that his H fly H unfly H ...etc combo is better, but I'd prefer to pick something I can't drop.

I use speed tackle for its projectile invulnerability, but what is the trick to getting a full combo off it? It looks like you've got to control it in a certain pattern.

Also how should I be using energy javelin?

You can link supers together. With your team there are two ways that I know of. Here's one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8gPw-UCUY0

The other involves using red health and the medium version of gravimetric pulse to cause a wall bounce. I can't find a video of it but you do your combo of choice -> super jump. H xx m.Gravimetric Pulse XX Gravimetric blaster -> sj.H xx Nova Force

Edit: I play Nova/Hawkeye/Strider so I need the extra damage since Hawkeyes DHCs are lame outside of DHCing to his level 3. You can DHC from Nova Force to Scatter Shot and link a gimlet if you need extra damage.

Zissou

Any advice on how to more consistently do Dorm's jump loop after the fwd.H teleport L sequence? I do mass change L, air dash down into j.H, and then I'm going for two reps of j.M, j.H, j.S before I do the final relaunch and finish the combo. Is there a specific height they have to be to make it easier? Or is it more of an issue of properly timing the jumping attacks?

onionfrog

You can link supers together. With your team there are two ways that I know of. Here's one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8gPw-UCUY0
Thanks Vice. I'll have to try this. Also I can easily get double super by calling drones right before power of the nova force, I just need to remember to use it more.

Edit: I play Nova/Hawkeye/Strider so I need the extra damage since Hawkeyes DHCs are lame outside of DHCing to his level 3. You can DHC from Nova Force to Scatter Shot and link a gimlet if you need extra damage.
It's an option, but generally I feel like I'm wasting meter when I DHC to Hawkeye. I may try out your team configuration as well, since its 2/3's of my main team.

Any advice on how to more consistently do Dorm's jump loop after the fwd.H teleport L sequence? I do mass change L, air dash down into j.H, and then I'm going for two reps of j.M, j.H, j.S before I do the final relaunch and finish the combo. Is there a specific height they have to be to make it easier? Or is it more of an issue of properly timing the jumping attacks?
It's all about perfectly timing the teleport.

Do you want to do it as soon as possible after the fwd.H or do you need to deliberately delay it a bit?
You want to do it right as your opponent is hitting the wall.

onionfrog

Did anybody else watch Big Two(Battle Circuit) last night? I didn't catch all of it, but I was very amused watching Skinhoff's Spider-Man/Magneto/Dante team. The way he was catching everyone with that Magnetic Tempest -> Ultimate Web Throw DHC trap on incoming was gimmicky, but pretty awesome too. It was the same tech as that Proton Cannon -> UWT vid from a while back right?

I imagine you could do a similar setup with she-hulk and level 3 frank's anti air hypers as well.

Azure J

Whats your GT? I have wanted to fight since I saw your video on strider. Hoping I might pick up some stuff facing you. Im on Live and PSN

I'm AzureJericho on Live. I really really really suck right now though thanks to not playing regularly. We can play a bit later today though, like in another 4 hours time.

Proof for anyone who doesn't think Sven is just a big cocktease who only enjoys riling up fans for no reason.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=520074&highlight=ace+attorney
Really? Did you look at the post?

http://www.capcom-unity.com/ask_cap...-attorney-collection-3ds?post_num=2#529573491

It looks like he's just giving a fan an update that there's nothing in development when he was asked, and he's sad about it too. Why are you thinking there's something else going on there? He could be distant and mysterious like the rest of Capcom.

Azure J

I love Jam Session assist so much... I really, really wish I could play Dante backed by it. :(

I can't really play Dante with any other assist now. It does so much. I remember when I was struggling trying to figure out how I was supposed to use it with Viper and as soon as I started doing more Seismo-FADC its like the world itself gave me the answer I needed from forever ago.

Edit: You up for games? Anytime's good if it's today. :p

smurfx

get some go again
haha its nice finding tech i'll likely never use. i can do hawkeyes corner net arrow loops and then raw tag haggar in and he will hit the character and then i can catch them with an L and then go for haggars corner H hoodlum launcher reset.

Frantic

I can't really play Dante with any other assist now. It does so much. I remember when I was struggling trying to figure out how I was supposed to use it with Viper and as soon as I started doing more Seismo-FADC its like the world itself gave me the answer I needed from forever ago.
Honestly, when I play my other fraudulent characters, 90% of the time I win because I know how and when to call Jam Session. It literally wins me games when otherwise I'm flailing around like an idiot with my point character. It's that good.

Edit: You up for games? Anytime's good if it's today. :p
Maybe a little later? Not sure how long I'll be able to play, though.

Azure J

Why do I even play this wretched game anymore... Can't believe that I lose to wake up Lariat so badly, even when I know its coming. Doesn't help that I was sloppy as hell executionally today. Sorry Smurf but I'm taking an extended rain check on further matches with you. lol

smurfx

get some go again
Why do I even play this wretched game anymore... Can't believe that I lose to wake up Lariat so badly, even when I know its coming. Doesn't help that I was sloppy as hell executionally today. Sorry Smurf but I'm taking an extended rain check on further matches with you. lol
its not wakeup lariat! i knew you were gonna press buttons. :p

Azure J

its not wakeup lariat! i knew you were gonna press buttons. :p

It's wakeup Lariat because I don't press buttons and you saw me block at least 4 of them out of however many you used. :p

I was so mad being on the P2 side of the screen all those matches. I can't Seismo for crap on that side lately and I was having the worst time navigating the arrows with Dante. This is really a game and team you can't take a break from...

Oh screw it, runback?

smurfx

get some go again
It's wakeup Lariat because I don't press buttons and you saw me block at least 4 of them out of however many you used. :p

I was so mad being on the P2 side of the screen all those matches. I can't Seismo for crap on that side lately and I was having the worst time navigating the arrows with Dante. This is really a game and team you can't take a break from...

Oh screw it, runback?
send the invite.

Zissou

Did anybody else watch Big Two(Battle Circuit) last night? I didn't catch all of it, but I was very amused watching Skinhoff's Spider-Man/Magneto/Dante team. The way he was catching everyone with that Magnetic Tempest -> Ultimate Web Throw DHC trap on incoming was gimmicky, but pretty awesome too. It was the same tech as that Proton Cannon -> UWT vid from a while back right?

I imagine you could do a similar setup with she-hulk and level 3 frank's anti air hypers as well.

I don't think it's really a gimmick- I mean, gimmicks only work on somebody who's never seen them before but the UWT thing was hitting people over and over. I think that qualifies as legit tech.

If you guys are still online when I finish uploading these videos can I join? I'm going to be way too busy to play any videogames for like a week so I want to play as much as I can before that.

Dahbomb

I don't think it's really a gimmick- I mean, gimmicks only work on somebody who's never seen them before but the UWT thing was hitting people over and over. I think that qualifies as legit tech.
It's legitimate tech... it's cheap as fuck. The only thing gimmicky about it is relying on a TAC to get the 5 bars from the infinite to off your next 2 characters but TACs are too strong anyway that he is able to get away with it.

Skinhoff makes it legitimate because he has the execution to pull it off and he plays well with all 3 characters. Anyone else trying to play that team wouldn't be able to land hits or confirms with Spider Man.

Proof for anyone who doesn't think Sven is just a big cocktease who only enjoys riling up fans for no reason.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=520074&highlight=ace+attorney
Not only is this a random ass Sven post that no one gives a shit about AND it's random non news....

It has nothing to do with Marvel or even fighting games at all.

Soft ban Sven on here until he puts up a post worthy of being called news.

Azure J

GGs Frantic. As always, Hsien-Ko/Dante/Strider is that tech no one is ever getting to be ready for. If we ever meet up in a major, we need to troll with that sometime. :lol

I'm waaaaay rusty though and I don't even know why. I saw myself doing a whole lot of things that I know I didn't in the past and I just kinda burnt out quickly playing you. It's as if, I have the memory of what to do stuck in my head and I was just going through a lot of motions playing today. Same for my quick set with Smurf.

Frantic

GGs, Azure. Though there was rust on your part, a lot of it I would blame on lag. Our connection unfortunately isn't very good. >_>; It has moments of clarity, then it nose dives.

Regardless, you really need to call Jam Session when you get me in blockstun! Will help out your pressure immensely, and no doubt open me up. My defense isn't that great. For example, the only reason I was blocking Weasel Shot > Vajra was because I go for it all the time and was just holding forward the moment I blocked Weasel Shot. You gotta throw in some Stingers to blow my mind. :p

Other than that... not much else I can say, honestly. Most of your lost games were because of executional mishaps, I feel... and believe me, I know aaallll about losing to execution mistakes. D:

GGs Frantic. As always, Hsien-Ko/Dante/Strider is that tech no one is ever getting to be ready for. If we ever meet up in a major, we need to troll with that sometime. :lol
If Hsien-Ko was actually capable of moving around, I'd play her seriously. Alas, she is destined to have no movement in a game dominated by strong movement.

Also, I think I could make some noise with my point Strider team in a tournament. Probably more so than my main team, just because no one knows wtf to do against Strider.

Azure J

Point Strider is fucking unblockable unless you have absurdly powerful derp available right from the start. I was trying to experiment with Focus - EX Knuckle but I had two moments that just made me go "wat" and never again simultaneously. I dash canceled into your Jam Session (I still don't know what that input was all about) and the second time I got a EX Seismo, which you think would be a good thing, until the connection spiked and I got a weird neutral jump instead of air dashing forward for Viper's combo.

Didn't help that he was being backed by Bolts and Jam Session. I was so terrified of bolts that I crouched every time only to get opened up high.

I also really really really suck at Seismos lately. It's like, I can do a volley of one strength pretty easily as long as I can tell my mind to adjust for what side I'm on, but then all of a sudden, the moment I piano from one button strength to the next, I'm assed out and doing Thunder Knuckles everywhere. It really sucks too since I spent a ton of time making this new trap kinda zoning where I want to push you into the corner with Seismo-FADC reps and then call Jam when you're deep in it and go for mixups.

It's sooo intense, but I know I can do it.

Dante, man I was just far too fraudulent with tonight. I was trying to go for neutral but Bolts would come out of nowhere and tell me "nope". I'd rush and get dumb shit like dash up neutral j.M and sigh. Lockdown with Crystal? Suddenly, normals instead of plink dashes.

At least Strider was looking proper. I can still do his movement and start/stop offense fairly easily. I need to use Wall Cling (and surprisingly Formation B) a lot more though.

Frantic

Point Strider is fucking unblockable unless you have absurdly powerful derp available right from the start. I was trying to experiment with Focus - EX Knuckle but I had two moments that just made me go "wat" and never again simultaneously. I dash canceled into your Jam Session (I still don't know what that input was all about) and the second time I got a EX Seismo, which you think would be a good thing, until the connection spiked and I got a weird neutral jump instead of air dashing forward for Viper's combo.

Didn't help that he was being backed by Bolts and Jam Session. I was so terrified of bolts that I crouched every time only to get opened up high.
Honestly, I maintain that point Strider is one of the best start of the round characters. 4 frame light, 5 frame crouching light, swords, and his walk speed + double jump means you can't get close to him at the start, and you can't get away from him at the start. And those are just some of his options. That's not getting into the other bullshit he has available to him. There isn't a single character that can beat all his options. There are some that can beat one or two of his options, but not all, which means it's generally in Strider's favor. Plus, I think the only character that can catch/escape him at the start of the round is Akuma, but it's rare to see point Akuma.

And yeah, Strider + Bolts is good. It's kinda like Nova + Bolts in that it's high/low or throw... and left/right, too.

I also really really really suck at Seismos lately. It's like, I can do a volley of one strength pretty easily as long as I can tell my mind to adjust for what side I'm on, but then all of a sudden, the moment I piano from one button strength to the next, I'm assed out and doing Thunder Knuckles everywhere. It really sucks too since I spent a ton of time making this new trap kinda zoning where I want to push you into the corner with Seismo-FADC reps and then call Jam when you're deep in it and go for mixups.

It's sooo intense, but I know I can do it.
Honestly one of the reasons why I don't ever plan on playing Viper. Too much work for my hands. Have enough issues with Dante sometimes. Don't need Viper adding stress on top of it!

Dante, man I was just far too fraudulent with tonight. I was trying to go for neutral but Bolts would come out of nowhere and tell me "nope". I'd rush and get dumb shit like dash up neutral j.M and sigh. Lockdown with Crystal? Suddenly, normals instead of plink dashes.
I was wondering what was up with those neutral j.Ms, lol. I was thinking you were trying to airdash j.M, but were mistiming it due to lag or something.

At least Strider was looking proper. I can still do his movement and start/stop offense fairly easily. I need to use Wall Cling (and surprisingly Formation B) a lot more though.
I mainly use Formation B as a footsie tool, and it's godlike at it. At 2 frames startup, it's also pretty decent as a reversal.

It's so frustrating when you have a combo idea, but it doesn't work because of HSD or something like that :|

Frantic or Jeri, are any of you up for more games?

Azure J

Honestly, I maintain that point Strider is one of the best start of the round characters. 4 frame light, 5 frame crouching light, swords, and his walk speed + double jump means you can't get close to him at the start, and you can't get away from him at the start. And those are just some of his options. That's not getting into the other bullshit he has available to him. There isn't a single character that can beat all his options. There are some that can beat one or two of his options, but not all, which means it's generally in Strider's favor. Plus, I think the only character that can catch/escape him at the start of the round is Akuma, but it's rare to see point Akuma.

All of this is pretty much the reason why I was getting unnerved very quickly playing my usual stuff. My team gets destroyed (well at the level I'm at with them) by things that either force Seismo's off the table as an option (so full screen horizontal stuff), fast ranged buttons (lol Strider's s.M, s.H, f.H, j.H) and anything that forces me to think while blocking. I now understand your extreme love for Jam Session btw. :lol

Honestly one of the reasons why I don't ever plan on playing Viper. Too much work for my hands. Have enough issues with Dante sometimes. Don't need Viper adding stress on top of it!

Funnily enough, at one time I thought she was a character you'd do well with too. Go figure.

I was wondering what was up with those neutral j.Ms, lol. I was thinking you were trying to airdash j.M, but were mistiming it due to lag or something.

The really strange thing was that I'd get a full screen dash to where you were, but the moment I'd attempt the jump, dash over and j.M/H, I'd get that result 9 times out of 10. It's so weird.

I mainly use Formation B as a footsie tool, and it's godlike at it. At 2 frames startup, it's also pretty decent as a reversal.

Yeah, I always like to try and move in with one with s.H xx Form B, repeat for shot, but something about tonight had me thinking that I needed to be moving around a bit more versus zoning/spacing with them. Bad call I guess.

I'll play SolarK.

Frantic

I now understand your extreme love for Jam Session btw. :lol
It's godlike, man! It lets me get away with shit I otherwise wouldn't be able to get away with! It completely covers up the fact I only know how to Impact Palm with Dr. Strange, too.

Funnily enough, at one time I thought she was a character you'd do well with too. Go figure.
I probably coul do well with her, but... I don't feel like putting in the effort. I pretty much play characters I like/enjoy playing, and Viper doesn't really fall in that category for me. And although I deviate to a lot of sub-teams, my main will forever be Dante on point.

Azure J

GGs Jeri, I have to go eat dinner.

Lag aside (which pretty obviously hindered you more than me), what'd you think of the new team?

Raccoon's double shot assist is whoa. I didn't know it had so much hitstun. The team is sound and you have some good handling with Nova. I saw lag ruining a few of your setups though, especially on incoming so I can say that you're doing well with it.

You know I'm off though when I can't get anything started between Viper AND Dante though.

Raccoon's double shot assist is whoa. I didn't know it had so much hitstun.

That assist got so overshadowed by Log Trap it's not even funny. Sure, Log is pretty good, but so is Double Shot. Rather than one being better than the other it's more of a case by case thing. This team works like shit with Log, but it works wonders for the Frank team.

Also, yeah, your rust really showed, but I thought you did decent all things considered.

Zissou

Mainly anchor. I put him on point for certain matchups that are bad for Nova.

If you're not already, try to make use as much as possible of the different formation moves- form B is great in neutral owing to its speed, and the other formations can pin your opponent down and let you get in while acting like a hit of super armor. For example, you can call a tiger and then dash in behind it to try and start pressuring and it can eat a hit if they decide to throw something out.

You can also use the animals to set up left/right mix-up attempts with teleports/wall clings. If you're in your opponent's face, you can also go for a high/low mix-up since Strider can instant overhead. All the formations are pretty fast to come out/recover, but unfortunately they have poor durability, so they are of limited use against people trying to zone you. I stupidly forget about this stuff 90 percent of the time and usually raw teleport when I shouldn't and get Strider's shit wrecked though :(

Frantic and Azure are likely the best Strider players here though, so I would wait for them to chime in.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";49409460]Just popping in to say that I'm in some Gearbox marketing documentary now. Feels weird.[/QUOTE]
Receipts?

onionfrog

What are some tips for Strider? Right now I feel like I'm playing vajra and orbs rather than a character.

Below is a bunch of useful strider tips that frantic posted a few months ago: (Frantic, I'm not at all trying to steal your thunder, I just had your tips handy since they're saved on my phone)
Strider Tips:

Various tips I can think of include:
Keep Formation B active as much as possible.

Dash up with s.H > Formation B(Shot) is on par with Vergil's God Slash when it comes to range. The Formation B(Shot) is there for safe hit confirmation, or advantage on block.

Formation C is a great tool against incoming characters, since the birds will likely hit them as they come in, and the grounded explosions have an absurd hitbox + deceivingly long active frames(I've been hit by the explosion after the animation of the explosion is gone). Try to call two of them, and the first will drop to the ground while the second hits the incoming character. They'll leave blockstun by the time the first's explosion hits. Throw in a teleport/wall cling in between for a mixup.

If you've got them locked down by Cold Star, and they're stand blocking, go for an instant overhead j.L > Excalibur L.

Use Gram M and H for long distance poking(be sure to have Formation B ready to cancel it, though), or for punishing really unsafe stuff(like, bait a Lariat and then back off into a Gram H).

Formation B(Shot) beats all X-Factor guard cancels into a normal, Wall Cling beats all X-Factor guard cancels into a throw/command throw/invincible super.

If you're going for a Wall Cling mixup off a normal, don't use his dive kick. Go for the Ladder Kick(light button) canceled into an Excalibur L. It's easily comboable in almost every situation, and it's safe against chicken blocking.

Wall Cling ignores pushblock, so call an assist if they pushblock you and Wall Cling for a mixup.

You can dash up and s.L/cr.L up to three times, and still be in range for a ground throw so long as they don't pushblock. Gives him really strong tick throws and staggered lights.

There's probably more that I'm forgetting, but those are some main ones.

I love Jam Session assist so much... I really, really wish I could play Dante backed by it. :(
I would play Morrigan/Dormammu/Morrigan if I could. Astral Vision backed by Dark Harmonizer? Yum.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";49409460]Just popping in to say that I'm in some Gearbox marketing documentary now. Feels weird.[/QUOTE]
Cool beans. I thought you were self-banning?

Top Bottom