• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Frantic

Below is a bunch of useful strider tips that frantic posted a few months ago: (Frantic, I'm not at all trying to steal your thunder, I just had your tips handy since they're saved on my phone)
Haha, no problem! I'm feeling lazy today, so bringing up my old tips saves me the trouble. :p

onionfrog

Haha, no problem! I'm feeling lazy today, so bringing up my old tips saves me the trouble. :p
I don't know if I thanked you for these tips when you first posted them, but thanks Frantic.
As a result, my strider has gone from "fraudulent assist tier" status to "pretty decent" within the past few months.

This is why I only play people on my friends list or people from GAF. I'd rather not deal with the bad sportsmanship and "Play one game then leave" mindset of some online players.
I'd rather play a long set against someone who is a good sport about it.

Could anyone here give me some Nova tips?
Perhaps Racketpunch? Or The Mango Sentinel?
All I really know so far is:
Approach:
-Box dash H.
-Tridash L
-c.M
Combos:
-Can do basic combos off airthrow, using dp L to otg if far away and f.H if close.
-My regular combo is hitconfirm into: c.MHS j.MMH qcb S j.MHS f.H A1(triple arrow) dp M xx dp AA(or go for airthrow reset)
-In the corner I can do human rocket punch loops.
-I'm aware that his H fly H unfly H ...etc combo is better, but I'd prefer to pick something I can't drop.

I use speed tackle for its projectile invulnerability, but what is the trick to getting a full combo off it? It looks like you've got to control it in a certain pattern.

Also how should I be using energy javelin?

I don't think I should be giving any Nova advice since my Nova is ass.....well I'm garbage with everyone. Plus the way that I play relies on constant shenanigans. But I don't think anyone has said this yet, and it's something that I do that works 9/10 times. When I box dash H, I usually fly once the H hits, whether it was blocked or not, and then I do another H while I'm flying and then input nullification with H. One of those fuckers are hitting. Plus I'm using Felicia for the unblockable, but it should work with you since you're using drones. It's the same shit you'll see anyone doing with Mags, Doom, or Iron man, but for whatever reason you don't see it nearly as often with Nova, which is a shame because he starts flying so damn fast. I don't know how well this works outside of the corner. Oh and I use qcf+H a LOT. It gets me out of shit quite often since it stays there for a while. And I like to use it in combination with Vajra and javelins....many characters have trouble moving.

I don't think I should be giving any Nova advice since my Nova is ass.....well I'm garbage with everyone. Plus the way that I play relies on constant shenanigans. But I don't think anyone has said this yet, and it's something that I do that works 9/10 times. When I box dash H, I usually fly once the H hits, whether it was blocked or not, and then I do another H while I'm flying and then input nullification with H. One of those fuckers are hitting. Plus I'm using Felicia for the unblockable, but it should work with you since you're using drones. It's the same shit you'll see anyone doing with Mags, Doom, or Iron man, but for whatever reason you don't see it nearly as often with Nova, which is a shame because he starts flying so damn fast. I don't know how well this works outside of the corner. Oh and I use qcf+H a LOT. It gets me out of shit quite often since it stays there for a while. And I like to use it in combination with Vajra and javelins....many characters have trouble moving.
I don't even know what system you're on because you're not in the spreadsheet. -_-

I ended up watching APP's Power Ranger video, though.

onionfrog

I appreciate the advice. Every little thing I can learn to do with a character helps.
I tried Nova/Felicia/Sentinel last night, and I think I could grow to love using it. It has 3 characters that I find to be loads of fun to play. Plus that team is chocked full of unblockables.

I don't think I should be giving any Nova advice since my Nova is ass.....well I'm garbage with everyone.
I know that feeling bro. I'd consider myself decent at best, even with my best character. I'm certainly not doing optimal/advanced combos, or have any dirty or complicated mixups.

I don't even know what system you're on because you're not in the spreadsheet. -_-
Neither do I. Everyone should put themselves on the spreadsheet.

It's because I'm a terrible human being and an idiot. I fail at the most simple of tasks. Anyway, I'm on PS3 and 360, but I likely won't have my PS3 copy for a week cause I let my friend borrow it. My friends list is full on 360 but if you wanna add me then just let me know. Now....I will try to add myself to this spreadsheet once again, though if I fail, here are my names

xbl - EylessOrphan
psn - EyelessOrphan

Please note that they are spelled differently. Oh and I am not the only person to use my systems.....so you could be playing one of my buddies.
I know that feeling bro. I'd consider myself decent at best, even with my best character. I'm certainly not doing optimal/advanced combos, or have any dirty or complicated mixups.
Yeah I've never been one to do advanced combos. I rely more on psychology than anything. I think I mentioned this before but my brother has some of the most amazing combos I've seen. I always want to get some equipment to capture his work. It's truly spectacular. But the guy just can't beat me. We will play a long ass set and the outcome will be something like 50-8 in my favor. I always tell him that my 20 years of knowledge from playing fighters will trump his 4 years of playing regardless of his execution.

Of course this doesn't always apply, cause there are some beasts out there that didn't start playing fighters until SFIV and they stomp my ass. All I'm saying is that good psychology and fundamentals can get you damn far.

This might be pretty old but I thought it was funny. Happy New Year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWxZjOHi31k
I want to know how many takes that took.

It's because I'm a terrible human being and an idiot. I fail at the most simple of tasks. Anyway, I'm on PS3 and 360, but I likely won't have my PS3 copy for a week cause I let my friend borrow it. My friends list is full on 360 but if you wanna add me then just let me know. Now....I will try to add myself to this spreadsheet once again, though if I fail, here are my names

xbl - EylessOrphan
psn - EyelessOrphan
I'm PS3-only. Add me up and we'll play sometime. Freaky ass name.

The name I originally wanted when I got xbl was taken and I told it to make me suggestions and I didn't like the suggestions, but I took one part from two different names they suggested and just combined them. I always think about changing it, but people always comment on it so I just keep it. Probably because it's just so morbid.

The name I originally wanted when I got xbl was taken and I told it to make me suggestions and I didn't like the suggestions, but I took one part from two different names they suggested and just combined them. I always think about changing it, but people always comment on it so I just keep it. Probably because it's just so morbid.
I used to be "Karst" everywhere, but goddamn Golden Sun fans kept taking it. -_-

onionfrog

This might be pretty old but I thought it was funny. Happy New Year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWxZjOHi31k
Haha. You know, I don't think I've ever seen a draw in this game, and I've been playing since vanilla.

psn - EyelessOrphan
I'll add you next time I'm online, my PSN - onionfrog.
Yeah I've never been one to do advanced combos. I rely more on psychology than anything.

All I'm saying is that good psychology and fundamentals can get you damn far.
That's right! I've also beaten some people who obviously have some really complex combos and strategies. Whereas I'm just looking for an opening or something to punish, then I hit them with something slightly more complicated than a magic series combo and use effective DHCs to get the kill.

Various folks:
"OMG Karst lets play soon"

Me:
*sees 3 of those people on*
"Cool let's play"

Everyone I talk to:
"Sorry, playing this other shitty game instead."

Edit:
GGs Spy and Marz.

Spy, the lag is definitely on your end - I have a pristine connection over here. Do me a favor and make sure you're the only one using the connection last time (or, if you're wireless, wire it up!).

Unintentional double post, my bad.
EDIT: Karst, I'd play you if I wasn't out of town(and thus without a ps3) this weekend.
Thank you!

Yeah, it was. Sorry bout that. I hardly play Ultimate online so I forget to check my desktop. That run away Dorm always gets me because I have to chase, which ends with me taking serious damage. As for Phoenix, you're the first Phoenix player I've faced so I didn't know what to do. Anyways, if we get to play again, I'll be sure to have my internets free for a good connection. Oh, and GG :D

Amakusa

I really want to get better at this game, I have it for Xbox 360 and PSVita. My ass is still red from a beating it took only moments ago. Any sites you guys can list with good combos for each char? Youtube vids don't cut it

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I really want to get better at this game, I have it for Xbox 360 and PSVita. My ass is still red from a beating it took only moments ago. Any sites you guys can list with good combos for each char? Youtube vids don't cut it
The Bradygames UMvC3 strategy guide is actually a really good starting point. The combos are outdated at this point, but the strategic and tactical advice throughout the guide is solid, and the frame data is very useful.

If you just want combo advice, I'm not sure if there's an easier way than just trudging through SRK and Youtube for the characters you're interested in.

Zissou

Why not state your team? There's a decent chance somebody on GAF will play some of them and could tell you reasonable bnbs to get going with.

Vice

Shoryuken is full of tech for a large portion of the cast. At the very least you'll find a nice basic combo for whoever you play.

I don't think I'll ever be able to do those Morrigan TAC infinites, hahaha.

Man, I was salty last night. I faced off against a Wolverine/Captain America/Sentinel, and he tore Dormammu open at the start of almost every round. I would almost always get 5 bars with Morrigan, but then he would X-Factor TAC glitch Phoenix to kill her. :-( Capcom needs to fix this shit, it's just too dumb. TACs should have never been buffed I HATE IT.

Oh, so GFAQs has this thread that's a big Dante cryfest:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/637240-ultimate-marvel-vs-capcom-3/65629169

Choice quotes of idiocy:
If Dormammu had Jam Session assist, there would be pretty much no reason to pick Dante, ever.
Dante is more screwed than other characters, when cornered. When someone has Dante cornered, at a +7 or worse frame disadvantage, he cannot do anything. Every other character in the game can.
dorm has slightly faster normals, chaotic flame, and raw ess is basically a shoryuken.
mashing an assist over and over doesn't magically make playing as dante less frustrating to play then it was in vanillia. Aren't you really against characters being assist tier only?
Then you will see how badly Dante needs a buff compare to the other mid tiers.

This is why Dante players drive me nuts. There are plenty of characters in this game that I suck with too much to play. Dante is one of them. I don't complain about Dante not being good enough for me because I suck. I don't understand why others do. My rule is that until I play Dormammu at FChamp levels, I don't get to complain about his insufficiencies. IMO, unless you're a Yipes-quality Dante, less complaining and more training.

Yeah, it was. Sorry bout that. I hardly play Ultimate online so I forget to check my desktop. That run away Dorm always gets me because I have to chase, which ends with me taking serious damage. As for Phoenix, you're the first Phoenix player I've faced so I didn't know what to do. Anyways, if we get to play again, I'll be sure to have my internets free for a good connection. Oh, and GG :D
We'll play again for sure, and GGs. Runaway Dormammu is fun and intense.

Just list your team and we'll tell you.

Shoryuken is full of tech for a large portion of the cast. At the very least you'll find a nice basic combo for whoever you play.
SRK is such an eyesore right now though.

Frantic

Dante is more screwed than other characters, when cornered. When someone has Dante cornered, at a +7 or worse frame disadvantage, he cannot do anything. Every other character in the game can.
I don't understand this. I am trying, trying to understand this, but I'm not getting it. +7 or worse frame disadvantage... why is there a plus for frame disadvantage!? And what's that number for, and for who!? I don't think he understands how frame data works. If someone has a four frame normal, they need to be -4 on block at minimum to be able to continue being able to push buttons afterwards, so where's the +7 coming from? Is he equating the frame disadvantage for the other character as frame advantage for Dante?

What I also want to know is every option for every character when they're being pressured? And not just ABC shit, but genuine lockdown, frametraps and pressure. It's not like everyone besides Dante has an invincible reversal. I can't magically mash buttons with other characters when someone is pressuring me well.

God, Dante players are embarrassing. :/

I don't understand this. I am trying, trying to understand this, but I'm not getting it. +7 or worse frame disadvantage... why is there a plus for frame disadvantage!? And what's that number for, and for who!? I don't think he understands how frame data works. If someone has a four frame normal, they need to be -4 on block at minimum to be able to continue being able to push buttons afterwards, so where's the +7 coming from? Is he equating the frame disadvantage for the other character as frame advantage for Dante?

What I also want to know is every option for every character when they're being pressured? And not just ABC shit, but genuine lockdown, frametraps and pressure. It's not like everyone besides Dante has an invincible reversal. I can't magically mash buttons with other characters when someone is pressuring me well.

God, Dante players are embarrassing. :/
He basically thinks that because Dante his fastest normal at 7 frames, he has a "7 frame disadvantage", which is more than any other character in the game (according to him).

Frantic

He basically thinks that because Dante his fastest normal at 7 frames, he has a "7 frame disadvantage", which is more than any other character in the game (according to him).
But... but... frame data doesn't work that way.

And that's not even getting into the fact a lot of characters other people consider 'top tier' don't have normals THAT much faster(one or two frames faster at the most), and lack the range on their normals that Dante has. SMH.

mr. puppy

Banned
What is wrong with those people... Dante is really good- like Magneto tier.

he's a great assist character with jam and his thc, has fantastic dhcs, and on top of that he is pretty good on point. thats about all you could really ask for. you can really point/point/assist with him well.

aside from dorm giving some nice mix-up support with his ball super, theres not too much he can do for a team, and good lord playing him is like moving through a viscous liquid or something.

also just as an idea I tried out Dorm/Dante/Haggar, and I'm enjoying the ability to at least startup the game with lariat helping out.

Dahbomb

Dante players are among the most spoiled players in the community. They constantly bitch about the only 2 faults he has as character which is his slow normals and lack of an air throw game while overlooking his vast strengths. Dante being mid tier is hysterical to me.

Step your game up son. Less bitching, more entering tournaments. Most Dante players lose because they are too busy swagging out. "Oh shit I lost but look I used that move in a combo that few people use!" The recent tournament had like 2 Dante's in top 8 doing well, there is no excuse.

Dante players are among the most spoiled players in the community. They constantly bitch about the only 2 faults he has as character which is his slow normals and lack of an air throw game while overlooking his vast strengths. Dante being mid tier is hysterical to me.

Step your game up son. Less bitching, more entering tournaments. Most Dante players lose because they are too busy swagging out. "Oh shit I lost but look I used that move in a combo that few people use!" The recent tournament had like 2 Dante's in top 8 doing well, there is no excuse.
Damn straight.

In fact, I still want that Dante nerf!

Dante's the only sword guy that makes any type of sense in this game. He's strong as hell and actually has disadvantages to using a sword.

Taskmaster and I guess Strider to a lesser extent don't incur as much wrath as the others either.

Fuq the rest. Sons of bitches.

Frantic

Dante's the only sword guy that makes any type of sense in this game. He's strong as hell and actually has disadvantages to using a sword.

Taskmaster and I guess Strider to a lesser extent don't incur as much wrath as the others either.

Fuq the rest. Sons of bitches.
All I know is everyone would hate Strider if he did Vergil level damage. :p

Dahbomb

Damn straight.

In fact, I still want that Dante nerf!
Let's not go overboard here.

Strider with Vergil damage would be the best character in the game or top 3 minimum. Although the brunt of Vergil's damage comes from SS so he would need a similar combo loop set up. Vergil without SS does meh damage.

Frantic

Strider with Vergil damage would be the best character in the game or top 3 minimum. Although the brunt of Vergil's damage comes from SS so he would need a similar combo loop set up. Vergil without SS does meh damage.
Let's say he's got 20% minimum damage scaling for specials ala Vergil, and Ouroboros is a level 1. Instant best character in the game. :p

I just signed up for UFGT9's UMvC3 tournament on May 24. If anyone else is from Chicago and wants to meet me, that will be your opportunity. It'll be my first time going to a big tournament, so I wouldn't mind finding some people to play a ton of casuals with to warm up and get used to playing offline for my second time (lol).

Sigmaah

600K+ BnB's considered meh damage? Nah not really BruhBruh

Dahbomb

600K+ BnB's considered meh damage? Nah not really BruhBruh
Yes that is extremely meh bruh. Considering that even Mid tier characters can break 900K on their BnBs, 600K is low. Although because of SS Vergil can push 1 million for 1 bar which is stupid considering how he doesn't have to work that hard to get hits or mix people up

Onemic

Yes that is extremely meh bruh. Considering that even Mid tier characters can break 900K on their BnBs, 600K is low. Although because of SS Vergil can push 1 million for 1 bar which is stupid considering how he doesn't have to work that hard to get hits or mix people up

don't you need around 2.5 bars to do 3 loops?

Sigmaah

I'm talking about just damage by himself, no assists, but I assume you're taking that into account as well. I don't consider 600K+ that meh, it's deff good damage. Also, do you like or hate the fact that Vergil is considered the best?

Top Bottom