• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Azure J

I just want to say that solo XF-less Strider comebacks are euphoric.

On another note entirely, playing Dante on anchor has helped improve my point Dante just a bit surprisingly enough. Playing him solo with no backup means I gotta be a bit more ballsy if I want to get a hit, and that translates into a slightly more ballsy point Dante.

Agreed with both points. Picking your spots and playing your game efficiently like a true ninja while showing someone thinking "Strider can't work without XFactor" is blissful especially when you run it back 1 vs. 3.

I'm still labbing attack patterns to keep my Dante in to make up for not playing people as much lately (I want to make a Wolverine style "stay on you and poke you with s.Ls - dash ups" Dante now) and in doing as much, I'm also finding it easier on my execution to do certain patterns like j.H - s.L + Vajra - shenanigans. You would be so surprised how hard that sequence was to emulate consistently for me after playing Darksim a while ago.

Frantic

Agreed with both points. Picking your spots and playing your game efficiently like a true ninja while showing someone thinking "Strider can't work without XFactor" is blissful especially when you run it back 1 vs. 3.
I ran it back against an entire Magneto/Doom/Ammy team that still had X-Factor. Even went and blocked a Doom/Ammy THC all the way through, then got a throw as he tried to mix me up. Felt good, man.

I'm still labbing attack patterns to keep my Dante in to make up for not playing people as much lately (I want to make a Wolverine style "stay on you and poke you with s.Ls - dash ups" Dante now) and in doing as much, I'm also finding it easier on my execution to do certain patterns like j.H - s.L + Vajra - shenanigans. You would be so surprised how hard that sequence was to emulate consistently for me after playing Darksim a while ago.
Dante's s.L pressure is pretty ridiculous if you go into it realizing you won't be able to combo off anti-airs. Regardless of getting a combo or not, it completely halts your opponents momentum if they get hit by it, and that just helps him keep momentum.

Solune

My bad , I guess I don't keep up enough with tech for characters that I can't play.
Morrigan = instant carpal tunnel syndrome for me. I can't deal with the constant flight cancels.

It's not your bad, new videos with old combos / tech are coming out all the time. El Gato came out with a combo on Arthur that lasts a minute abusing Gold Armor. TBH I wasn't quite impressed as his Doom/Strange/Modok stuff but never the less at least hes still putting out content. Actually it's not that extraordinary when it comes to Dante/Vergil stuff because people already put so much time into the twins already.

onionfrog

How do you become a member anyway ? Post a lot ?
Once you have over 300 posts and your account is at least 3 months old IIRC.
Grats on member.
Thanks Karst.

I think the only new character I'm going to try to learn for a while is Dante. Who should I be watching for good Dante play? (Besides Yipes)

Saw this elsewhere, I wish I could play Morrigan just because of Soul Drain loops.
I feel the same way. It's nuts that with the right assist you can potentially steal almost 3 bars of meter in a combo.

Azure J

Yipes is the only truly legitimate Dante. Corn Footwurk and David F are good though.

This, also onionfrog, be sure to check out youtube monsters like myself, Darksim and Frantic for experiments and theory-turned-practical stuff with Dante. There's also the KarinaBunnyK channel for Dante's combo basics into intermediate stuff and some other special things to note.

onionfrog

Yipes is the only truly legitimate Dante. Corn Footwurk and David F are good though.
I'll look those other two players up as well.

This, also onionfrog, be sure to check out youtube monsters like myself, Darksim and Frantic for experiments and theory-turned-practical stuff with Dante. There's also the KarinaBunnyK channel for Dante's combo basics into intermediate stuff and some other special things to note.
Thanks Azure J, I think I've seen a few of your videos before, but I was mostly admiring how cool the combos were, since I hadn't considered actually learning Dante at the time.
I've got some studying to do!

Frantic

I'll look those other two players up as well.
I'd also recommend looking for some recent Shady_K matches where he uses Dante, if you can find them. I haven't seen him for a while, but he was getting pretty good with Dante the last time I saw him play. From what I remember, he tended to rely on pressure and frametraps more than straight up mixups.

Dahbomb

If this could be replicated in an online setting, could this force a patch from Capcom?
If the TAC infinites didn't force out a patch from Capcom (bear in mind that Capcom has a very strong anti-infinite philosophy) then this won't either. I feel like if this is an easy to replicate glitch in live matches it might get soft banned. I want to know how to replicate it.

Zissou

The line down the center of the screen kind of looks like the fold in the 'pages' of the character select screen between the marvel and capcom sides. Maybe a glitch you activate then?

Zissou

Cold star, vajra, and drones are obviously great, but why mystic ray? I can see bolts for mix-up potential. Does anybody significant run Doom+bolts(and if so, is there footage of them?)?

onionfrog

I know other people have mentioned that SRK's layout is horrible now. I just went there for the first time in a few months to try to look up some info on Dante. What the hell did they do to their forums!?(Did they really break their own icons for attacks? They used to have nice little graphics for commands and buttons.(L, M. H, S etc))

Anyways, I was hoping to ask a few questions about Dante here instead.

A. What should I be using to make blockstrings safe? I currently use the following:
-Cancel blockstrings into Reverb Shock-> Fireworks.
-Cancel blockstrings with bold move.

B. Does canceling j.S into Hammer actually make it safe on block? (I'm assuming you could still easily be air thrown, so it may not be such a great idea in general)

C. Any tips for double acid rain loops? I can usually get one acid rain, but they fall out during the second. Is it just specific positioning if the opponents char during prop shredder? From videos I've seen it looks like you want them as high up as possible( near the edge of the sword) during prop shredder.

I can do a pretty basic combo with one acid rain loop pretty consistently now!

D. Similarly, any tips on timing for shot loops? I always seem to either press S too soon and get prop shredder, or too late and whiff launcher after the opponent has already fallen to the ground.

E. IYO, what is Dante's best position on a team?

Cold star, vajra, drones, mystic ray, bolts
Yep, this sounds about right.
Bolts, eh? That one's unexpected. I'm thinking about revamping my team again because I'm tired of Dormammu getting anally penetrated by Wolverine/Plasma Beam, and it seems like half the people at my locals (went to my second night) use this combination. My Dormammu is good enough that if I kill Wolverine I tend to win, but he's usually the definition of a meatbag.

So I've been thinking about running Dormammu/Doom/??? and dropping Morrigan and Phoenix. I know Morrigan is a natural fit there, but my execution is nowhere near where it needs to be for Morrigan/Doom shenanigans. Dormammu/Doom/Strange sounds like a fun team, but it lacks a good anchor.

I know other people have mentioned that SRK's layout is horrible now. I just went there for the first time in a few months to try to look up some info on Dante. What the hell did they do to their forums!?(Did they break their own icons for attacks? They used to have nice little graphics for commands and buttons.(L, M. H, S etc))

Anyways, I was hoping to ask a few questions about Dante here instead.

A. What should I be using to make blockstrings safe? I currently use the following:

B. Does canceling j.S into Hammer actually make it safe on block?

C. Any tips for double acid rain loops? I can usually get one acid rain, but they fall out during the second. Is it just specific positioning if the opponents char during prop shredder? From videos I've seen it looks like you want them as high up as possible( near the edge of the sword) during prop shredder.

I can do a pretty basic combo with one acid rain loop pretty consistently now!

D. Similarly, any tips on timing for shot loops? I always seem to either press S too soon and get prop shredder, or too late and whiff launcher after the opponent has already fallen to the ground.
I think that if SRK doesn't change something, the FGC is going to find a new forum home, and SRK will just be a news list. That place is so terrible looking right now.

A) You can also use Crystal, and assist + Air Trick.
B) Not just safe, but heavily positive on block (I think Hammer is like +16).
C) Acid Rain loops are character hurtbox dependent. Very messy.
D) I'd like tips on this too, hahaha.
E) He's not optimal anywhere, but does well anywhere. I would say second, but he's not a meter burner, so there's some mixed love there.

Frantic

What do you all think Doom's top 5 assists are?
Jam Session, Drones, Cold Star, Vajra, Unibeam.

1. s.LMH or LH or MH > Weasel Shot.
2. s.H/Stinger > Crystal
3. s.H/Stinger > Drive
4. Pretty much any assist string.

B. Does canceling j.S into Hammer actually make it safe on block? (I'm assuming you could still easily be air thrown, so it may not be such a great idea in general)
If you connect j.S before hitting the ground, Hammer will generally be safe. There are a few spots where it's not, mainly where it'll whiff too close to the ground. You can make it safe with Air Play, Killer Bee > Devil Trigger, or Vortex and Thunder Bolt if you're in Devil Trigger.

You want the character to be more or less parallel with Dante, and near the maximum height of the sword. You can pause during to the Prop Shredder here to see the spacing.

Although it's pretty much a rythm, you do have to keep an eye on the character's position. They can't be too high, and they can't be too low. I'd look at this video for starters.

Depends on the team and what you want to do with him.

onionfrog

I'm thinking about revamping my team again because I'm tired of Dormammu getting anally penetrated by Wolverine/Plasma Beam.
I almost spit out my coffee at this!
I think that if SRK doesn't change something, the FGC is going to find a new forum home, and SRK will just be a news list. That place is so terrible looking right now.
Agreed, it's terrible right now. Even some of the color choices are bad, IE: Light blue text on a white background.
Dante Advice...
Thanks Karst, those are some useful tips.

Safe Blockstrings
1. s.LMH or LH or MH > Weasel Shot.
2. s.H/Stinger > Crystal
3. s.H/Stinger > Drive
4. Pretty much any assist string.

j.S -> Hammer
If you connect j.S before hitting the ground, Hammer will generally be safe. There are a few spots where it's not, mainly where it'll whiff too close to the ground. You can make it safe with Air Play, Killer Bee > Devil Trigger, or Vortex and Thunder Bolt if you're in Devil Trigger.

Acid Rain Loops
You want the character to be more or less parallel with Dante, and near the maximum height of the sword. You can pause during to the Prop Shredder here to see the spacing.

Shot loops
Although it's pretty much a rythm, you do have to keep an eye on the character's position. They can't be too high, and they can't be too low. I'd look at this video for starters.

Dante's team position
Depends on the team and what you want to do with him.
Thanks for the wealth of knowledge here Frantic, it's greatly appreciated. I didn't realize drive was a safe blockstring. I'm thinking about running Dante on point or second, primarily to get more practice using him.

Generally I'm really digging x/Dante/Sentinel.
So I'll definitely run variations on that like:
-Hsienko/Dante/Sentinel(Surprisingly quite good for a Hsienko team)
-Felicia/Dante/Sentinel
-Nova/Dante/Sentinel
Etc.

I'll probably also try some teams with Dante/Strider, since I already run strider on my main team. Dante/Hawkeye/Strider seems decent.

mr. puppy

Banned

anchor-icon.png

Frantic

Thanks for the wealth of knowledge here Frantic, it's greatly appreciated. I didn't realize drive was a safe blockstring. I'm thinking about running Dante on point or second, primarily to get more practice using him.
Drive is an interesting blockstring. It's not a super safe blockstring only because there's a small gap inbetween Stinger and Drive that makes it so invulnerable stuff will get through, as well as making it easy to XFC, but it's not enough for normals to get through meaning you can frametrap people. It's also really good against people who pushblock Stinger immediately since it means you can follow after the Drive and maintain pressure.

Vice

Cold star, vajra, and drones are obviously great, but why mystic ray? I can see bolts for mix-up potential. Does anybody significant run Doom+bolts(and if so, is there footage of them?)?

Bolts locks the opponent down and keeps them grounded. The gap lets you get a throw as well which is something you can't do between drones.

Mystic ray helps control the the air. The bit of screen clearing it does helps with some of Doom's worse matchups form what I've seen, or maybe no one knows how to play against the assist since there are only a handful of Shuma players.

Edit: What's the standard Strider bnb? I've been getting 500k more or less depending on which legion formation I get with mine. The meter build isn't all that great though, it's negative on bar.

Zissou

Bolts locks the opponent down and keeps them grounded. The gap lets you get a throw as well which is something you can't do between drones.

Mystic ray helps control the the air. The bit of screen clearing it does helps with some of Doom's worse matchups form what I've seen, or maybe no one knows how to play against the assist since there are only a handful of Shuma players.

Edit: What's the standard Strider bnb? I've been getting 500k more or less depending on which legion formation I get with mine. The meter build isn't all that great though, it's negative on bar.

midscreen bnb (starting w/o form B): m, h, cr.H, fwd.H, S, j.M, double jump up.fwd, j.H, j.S, summon form B, launch form B, wall cling, (during wall cling) L, (during wall cling) H, air gram H, summon form B, launch form B, vajra H, legion

midscreen bnb (starting w/ form B): m, h, fwd.H, light gram, launch form B, wall cling, (during wall cling) L, (during wall cling) H, air gram H, summon form B, launch form B, vajra H, legion

onionfrog

So, I want to get bodied some more. Hit me up if anyone would like to play on PSN late today/night :)
Congrats on member status TheBatman!
I should be on tonight from 6pm-8:30 est. we should play if you'll also be on during that time. I gotta practice my shitty Dante against actual people.

Congrats on member status TheBatman!
I should be on tonight from 6pm-8:30 est. we should play if you'll also be on during that time. I gotta practice my shitty Dante against actual people.

Thank you :D Appreciate it!

Sure, I'll try to get on that time. I'm usually free to Dante, so you should have good luck.

onionfrog

It makes me sad so many people are dropping Wesker. It's good to see him around more now.
I think it's because he is fairly straightforward and doesn't provide the same level of support that other characters do. (IE: no great assists, no damaging DHC, no TAC infinite(IIRC, please correct me if wrong)).

He's not a bad anchor, but he's not in the leagues of Vergil, Phoenix, Strider..etc.

Dahbomb

At this point no one should be using Wesker on anchor. Point character all the way with Vergil second and beam or Vajra 3rd. That's his best team.

do you do mmhs or mmlhs in the air?
I never mmlhs. My combos with him are very straightforward and basic. The only slightly tricky thing I do with him is the two Fatal Claws.
At this point no one should be using Wesker on anchor. Point character all the way with Vergil second and beam or Vajra 3rd. That's his best team.

I still play him on anchor when I run a gimmick ass Resident Evil team. I just don't like Nemesis, Chris, or Jill as my anchor. Plus I can set up some decent unblockables. But I certainly agree that he shouldn't be on anchor anymore. Whenever I see someone do that and I'm running some sort of Morrigan/Doom team, I just say "good luck" in my head.

Vice

midscreen bnb (starting w/o form B): m, h, cr.H, fwd.H, S, j.M, double jump up.fwd, j.H, j.S, summon form B, launch form B, wall cling, (during wall cling) L, (during wall cling) H, air gram H, summon form B, launch form B, vajra H, legion

midscreen bnb (starting w/ form B): m, h, fwd.H, light gram, launch form B, wall cling, (during wall cling) L, (during wall cling) H, air gram H, summon form B, launch form B, vajra H, legion
Thank you. Looks like I'm up to date on my Strider combos.

I think I found a new way to link two hypers as Nova.

Edit: Yup, from what I can find on SRK and Youtube this is a new variation on the gravimetric pulse version that requires no red life. Which means true solo Nova TODs on most of the cast (900k health and below)

Top Bottom