• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 Trailer runs in-engine, in-game, in realtime on a single PS4 at 1080p60

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t get the confusion. Is it really that hard to look back at any of the Uncharted games or The Last of Us and then come to a conclusion based off them as to what Uncharted 4 will look like when you actually play it. From the other thread:

I can’t believe people still have no idea what the difference between a CGI trailer is (Rise of the Tomb Raider teaser) and an in-game engine cut-scene. It’s not rocket science.......all you have to do is look at Uncharted, Uncharted 2, Uncharted 3, the reveal teaser and the whole of The Last of Us to know that this is exactly the same. Here’s a bonus example: Resident Evil 4. The teaser here is running off a beefed up engine of the game. It won’t look that good in-game, but that still doesn’t make it any less impressive and it still obviously bodes well for the graphics while playing the game. Anyone who says its CGI is simply wrong and doesn’t know what they’re talking about.

farisr

Makes you wonder how much input ND had in the PS4 developement to make it look that damn good so early in the system life..

Looks damn amazing, what is TLoU goi.g to look like next month? Damn...

TLoU will look like TLoU with better IQ, less aliasing, and cutscene models being used in gameplay running at 60fps.

OsirisBlack

Banned
No fucking way that's what the gameplay will look like. And when I say gameplay, I mean when I'm actually controlling Drake.

I think it will look exactly like they say it will as he wont be as big when controlled by the player. from what has been said .... this is an actual level in the game I expect to fully control Drake at the graphic quality they showed when the camera panned back to a playable level.

Also seems that Other Sony exclusive is serving up a hefty serving of crow already.
https://twitter.com/AndreaPessino/status/476916583344779264

Amir0x

Banned
I definitely think it'll look extremely close to this, just not at 60fps.

If they hit 60fps @ those visuals we can all put away the 'best technical developers of all time' awards - Naughty Dog gets them all, for the rest of eternity.

Bloodrage

Banned
Grabbed from the color corrected version of the trailer.

giA0ytJ.png

vhdFj5I.png

Y8Zpsp8.png

7qAfbPf.png

827XwvK.png

A1PFwqb.png

KhOqEUb.png

MtSAcMV.png

MP4Kl2l.png

wkhz4z6.png

M2oLv67.png

ND will be rightfully lambasted if the game doesn't turn out like this.

I have faith it will be just as good if not better than this trailer.

when you are actually controlling drake? it wont. its an in engine cutscene.. as in, its not prerendered cgi. those are actual in game assets and its rendered on the fly

in all of the other ND games they do something similar where you get a cut scene that transitions to gameplay immediately after. when that happens the quality drops a bit, the camera zooms out and you start controlling drake (or joel/ellie if we're talking about TLOU)

anyone who is expecting the actual gameplay sections to have that much detail will be a bit disappointed i think. that being said i have no doubt this will be set the bar for console games, just like uncharted and TLOU did last gen

If they hit 60fps @ those visuals we can all put away the 'best technical developers of all time' awards - Naughty Dog gets them all, for the rest of eternity.
Unless the PS4 is more powerful than we thought. It's true that The Order looks pretty great for a company's first try at a console game. Infamous always looked pretty ugly, suddenly SS looks amazing. There is a pattern there. So maybe the prestige graphical powerhouses like ND, SSM and QD are actually able to deliver crazy shit like that with more time in the oven and mature tools.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I don’t get the confusion. Is it really that hard to look back at any of the Uncharted games or The Last of Us and then come to a conclusion based off them as to what Uncharted 4 will look like when your actually play it. From the other thread:

All of Naughty Dog's PS3 games feature pre-rendered cutscenes that were (presumably) rendered on a dev kit and then moved to the game proper as a video file. This is what people were referring to when they said they were more inclined to believe the Uncharted 4 trailer was pre-rendered/CGI, not something that took hours to render like the CG trailers AssCreed gets.

RedStep

I never once doubted the PS4 would not raise the bar in some way graphically over any platform including PC.

Holy double (triple?) negative, Batman!

PS4 won't raise the bar over PC. Naughty Dog is a talented developer, they will make good use of the PS4. Other devs will make PC games that look as good or better, there is nothing holding them back but time, energy, and talent. Those things exist all over the world, not just at one shop.

So come Nov of next year, im going to put in the U4 disc in my PS4 which is connected to my 47" 1080p hdtv, and I will play the best looking game ever made...
can-t-wait-o.gif

I'd prefer to eat crow and be legitimately amazed than get on the hype train prematurely and then be disappointed by downgrades.

I will remain skeptical until I see the HUD pop
up and rotate around to see Drake's face rendered with that fidelity in actual gameplay.

PS4 won't raise the bar over PC. Naughty Dog is a talented developer, they will make good use of the PS4. Other devs will make PC games that look as good or better, there is nothing holding them back but time, energy, and talent. Those things exist all over the world, not just at one shop.

I'd like to see PC devs make a game that looks better than this. Of course, on a PC I can get for $400.

Persona7

Banned
All of Naughty Dog's PS3 games feature pre-rendered cutscenes that were (presumably) rendered on a dev kit and then moved to the game proper as a video file. This is what people were referring to when they said they were more inclined to believe the Uncharted 4 trailer was pre-rendered/CGI, not something that took hours to render like the CG trailers AssCreed gets.

The cutscenes for U3 and I think TLOU were rendered on a cluster system with 8 PS3s.

shandy706

Nobody should have made such a stupid comparison in the first place. What Ryse did is not even in the same ballpark as what ND is trying to do.

Why are people so incredibly incapable of understanding a post.

There was zero comparison.

They see a name or game and instantly ignore the entire point. Ugh

The Lamp

I can't even.... no just no, I refuse to believe a native 1080p with next to no aliasing and to top it all off 60fps!! No way lmao, pc games even cg movies don't look this good!

What sorcery is this?

It should not look this good at 60fps wtf!

Naughty Gods, dude.

Why this is a surprise to anyone is a mystery to me. We knew the next naughty dog game would look unbelievable. They made Uncharted 2 on the ps3 sing.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I mean, early last year everyone was losing their shit over this,
crysis3_psycho_lampwzfg0.gif

saying how these consoles would never match it.

Less than a year into the gen we have this
DisastrousHealthyGreatdane.gif

its nuts

Tbh, I am the only one not impressed. Not that I am not impressed by the quality, but not doubtfully impressed like you. I expected the game to look like that, I expected 60 FPS, I expected the game to get real time custcnes and everything will be ingame and never doubted that. Damn it is PS4!!!!! PS3 has 512MB of memory, PS4 has 16 x times that amount. Well, In fact, Naughty Dog are using the same engine of the previous games (Naughty Dog confirmed that many times) but they upped it to the max. You can still fell the old Uncharted games' vibe. Look what Quantic Dream did with a PS3 engine on PS4 (Beyond Two Souls' engine): one million polys per character, 1080p and the game runs sometimes at 90 FPS. Now, Quantic Dream is making a new PS4 dedicated engine, that is why I salute their work more than Naughty Dog. The same can be said (or expected) for GOW4: new engine, new techs etc. In fact the only reason why they didn't show GOW4 and Quantic Dream game at the conference is the beacuse Sony didn't want to eclipse Uncharted 4 (like how the latter overshadwoed The Order 1886) and this by their own games, it would have been a great mistake. Expect them to show a teaser at VGX maybe. And trust me Uncharted 4' graphics will be a standard in the near future on PS4.

Z1e2jV6.gif

Yeah, while I will buy a PS4 for exclusives like UC4. The extra power of the PC will allow me to play multi-platform games at higher res/frame rates than the PS4. This looks great, but let's not forget that this is a sub 2 min clip of non interactive rendering that has been optimized to hell and back for the sole purpose to impress at E3. That being said, I'm sure the final game will look amazing, but let's not pretend that the game will have anywhere near this level of IQ during gameplay.

RedStep

I'd like to see PC devs make a game that looks better than this. Of course, on a PC I can get for $400.

What the hell? What does price/value have to do with "raising the bar in graphics"? Of course PC devs can make a game that looks better, they have better hardware to work with. If Naughty Dog went and unleashed their talent on the PC, the results would undoubtedly look better than this. It's hardware.

Let's put it this way: If some great looking game came out for the Xbox One and I said "I'd like to see the PS4 make a game that looks better than this", would you think I was rational or insane?

Like I said, Naughty Dog is an awesome developer and will make good-looking games no matter what. That doesn't suddenly make the PS4 more powerful than all of PC gaming, it makes them a great group.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The cutscenes for U3 and I think TLOU were rendered on a cluster system with 8 PS3s.

Ah. Well, the underlying point remains: for the most part, people didn't think that there was a huge gulf between what was being shown and what's reasonably possible. They just weren't convinced it was real-time.

Kssio_Aug

Definitely. If theyre capable to such, then I believe that with real competence and will, every developer can do decent games with decent frame-rate on consoles. Of course I will never demand that level of quality on any other game, but I will start to demmand more for games to actually look like a current gen product with at least locked 30fps and 1080p.

evolution

Why are people so incredibly incapable of understanding a post.

There was zero comparison.

They see a name or game and instantly ignore the entire point. Ugh
I just disagree. Considering how great this trailer looks, Ryse would not lead me to believe that they will have this running at 1080p, 60fps. That's a huge difference.

The Lamp

Just a reminder that in-engine cutscene =/= gameplay.

It'll look fucking awesome while playing, but not quite at that level.

Really looking forward to this.

Watchdogs...

Watch dogs is not made by Naughty Dog. Uncharted and Last of Us both looked better as development progressed.

Shadownet

Banned
is there really a need for that in here? for better or worse HALO 5 will sell double of uncharted 4 and regardless of which game looks better at the end of the day this is a business, each console has their strengths, i see no point of calling one over the other one

Funny how you just pretty much did the same thing. "Sell double"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom