• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 Trailer runs in-engine, in-game, in realtime on a single PS4 at 1080p60

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
dunno if this was posted, i just saw that she replied to somebody else:

nyq0LK7.jpg

iXUW5tMuSIqwu.gif

Even Watch Dogs looks near CG film quality in some cutscenes. It's not that much of a stretch for UC4 when games like The Order show real time gameplay.

So if we take it as realtime and they could have transitioned seamlessly to player control at the end, let's consider how they've achieved it:

- An incredibly detailed close-up for immediate maximum impact.
- Initially motionless, so that there is no video artifacting to ruin that first pristine image.
- The camera then moves very slowly throughout for the same reason.
- DOF throughout. There is a shallow/heavy DOF to begin, and even when the camera is fully zoomed out, there is still significant DOF, which helps to disguise any flaws in the distance. Anyone who has seen the Infamous photomode thread, or seen the 'DOF trick' Watch Dogs caps will know how effective DOF is at creating photorealism.
- Excellent character detail and animation, great lighting.
- Only voice-over work, no lip-sync. This is always the hardest part of avoiding the uncanny valley - the flaws usually appear when characters start talking with their mouths in view. They've avoided this for now.

If you look at a still from where the camera is pulled back, you can no longer see the incredible face detail, and if you imagine the DOF (mostly) removed at that point so that the view was suitable for gameplay, it would start to look a lot more like other good-looking current-gen titles like Infamous and AC Unity, rather than the outrageous step forward that it seems to be at first glance.

Bearing all that in mind, I can just about accept that this is indeed possible. There's a lot of tricks happening in this short clip, carefully done for maximum wow factor. I'm sure once they actually show gameplay, even if the quality hasn't changed, people will claim 'downgrade' or 'ND lied to us' simply because they're not able to maintain these careful 'tricks' for an extended gameplay sequence.

Espada

I think that's what the cutscenes will look like, but I doubt the actual gameplay will look that good (and maintain a solid framerate while doing so). Still, that a cutscene could look that gorgeous without being prerendered? That's pretty crazy.

I guess it is up to me to address the pink elephant juggling flaming chainsaws in the corner. If this is truly what Sony's system is capable of what does that mean for third party parity? I first had this question when I saw the Order and their on stage trailer (like it or not) was visually mind blowing. Then they show this?I really just can't.

What will this mean for third party companies games? Will they be comfortable being significantly outclassed by Sony's 1st party guys or will they actually try to compete graphically?

Nothing, really. It's not financially feasible for them to try to compete with 1st party offerings based on graphics. They'll do what they always do: Market the hell out of their own games in order to draw in a massive number of people. If they're making a PC version of their game, they can just use maxed out footage from that or a CG trailer.

EL CUCO

I can't believe some of you are still harassing the Naughty gods over the trailer being in game, after Corrine and others already confirmed it is lololol

I hope they take it as a compliment :p

I think that's what the cutscenes will look like, but I doubt the actual gameplay will look that good (and maintain a solid framerate while doing so). Still, that a cutscene could look that gorgeous without being prerendered? That's pretty crazy.

Nothing, really. It's not financially feasible for them to try to compete with 1st party offerings based on graphics. They'll do what they always do: Market the hell out of their own games in order to draw in a massive number of people. If they're making a PC version of their game, they can just use maxed out footage from that or a CG trailer.

I think its a given its not gameplay but a cutscene. There is no hud or controller scheme in it

gai_shain

It's a level from the game.....................

yes I am aware of that and without being able to think of a better example, dark souls 2 pre downgrade was also a real level/area from the game but in the end it just turned out to be inengine and not actually in the final game.

And I am going to be as happy as everyone else if this turns out to be actual the way the game looks ingame when the game releases

jaypah

That's pretty cool. It looked very nice (and I mean very nice) but after all the "IMAGINE WHAT NAUGHTY GODS WILL DO!!1!!" posts I actually did think about what they would do and this is pretty much what I expected. They are kind of the shit when it comes to these games. I can't wait to see an actual level in play. As in actual gameplay with objectives and such, I don't think anything will touch it.

Mmmmm the crow served to some of you will be sooo delicious. I trust ND to pull this off, they're the most talented devs out there for me

Hoje0308

Banned
No PC game that also comes out on consoles will look like that before it releases. And I don't know of any upcoming PC exclusives that might either. But I'm interested in hearing what games you think will. I'm not really in disagreement with your last sentence though.

Odd that you agree with the last sentence, when that is the statement that started this discussion in the first place. And no, I don't know of anything that will look that good, because we don't really know what it will look like while it's being controlled. It'll probably look close, but without a game play video I'm not willing to speculate. Plus, the devs that impress me most on PC tend to make open-world games, which means the fidelity isn't going to be the same as something like Uncharted that typically utilizes smaller environments.
Anyway, it seems like we've come full circle and now agree on the initial point of contention. No point in continuing this any further. Unless you really want to, of course. In that case, feel free to PM me.

dat humblebrag

I don't see it that way, but considering her credentials and the fruits of the labor she contributed to, I think she has a right to be more than a little proud.

Sorry Crows...this generation will definitely take a toll on your population. Too often people have had to take the knife and fork to your brethren due to their doubts. Please...be strong.

BTW, better with Salt..or Pepper?

tumblr_mo9gqbuteY1rjxckmo1_1280.jpg

...sorry. That was insensitive..whynotboth.jpg indeed.

I've always been annoyed by pre-rendered "in engine" cutscenes.

If Uncharted goes to fully real time cutscenes, then this trailer really means something. If this is just their engine turned up to 11 while pre-rendering again, then I'll be disappointed.

Not that this actually affects the quality of the game or the story - I just really love real time cutscenes and don't like when devs choose the pre-rendered in engine route. Corrinne Yu's tweet saying it's running on a real PS4 makes me think it is running in real time.

Edit: deleted last line because I'm tired and didn't read sources properly.

scoobs

Sorry Crows...this generation will definitely take a toll on your population. Too often people have had to take the knife and fork to your brethren due to their doubts. Please...be strong.

BTW, better with Salt..or Pepper?

tumblr_mo9gqbuteY1rjxckmo1_1280.jpg

...sorry. That was insensitive..whynotboth.jpg indeed.

I must be way out of the loop.. what the hell are you even talking about

Ateron

This. And I would also like to add that KZ2 and 3 looked miles better than CoD and even BF3 and yet, were outsold like crazy. Graphics aren't everything. KZ SF is prettier than BF4 on ps4 but it doesn't offer the same experience. Same with CoD.

It would only come into consideration in games that are fighting directly for the same audience, like Fifa and Pes (if sony had a 1st party football game) but gameplay is king. If a game is the best at what it does (or is the only one doing it, like the Souls Series) no matter the graphics, they will sell cause there's really no alternative.

We won't see AC Unity fighting with UC4 for people's wallets, as they are very distinct game experience. It's very hard for a third party dev to make a game look as good, too much porting, different specs, etc.
We will still see many games that come close to UC. I suspect Rockstar will blow our socks off come Gta VI. I couldn't believe the ammount of detail V had on 8-9 year old hw. They are wizards as well.

Persona7

Banned
They must be pretty confident to release a high quality trailer and talk about 60FPS.

It would be funny if the part in the trailer is changed or straight out removed from the final release. That part in the trailer is going to be highly scrutinized when the final game comes out.

I've always been annoyed by pre-rendered "in engine" cutscenes.

If Uncharted goes to fully real time cutscenes, then this trailer really means something. If this is just their engine turned up to 11 while pre-rendering again, then I'll be disappointed.

Not that this actually affects the quality of the game or the story - I just really love real time cutscenes and don't like when devs choose the pre-rendered in engine route. Corrinne Yu's tweet saying it's running on a real PS4 makes me think it is running in real time.

Edit: deleted last line because I'm tired and didn't read sources properly.

Really. Her saying its running real time makes you think its running real time? How about her saying its running in real time actually means its running in real time.

Toski

I guess it is up to me to address the pink elephant juggling flaming chainsaws in the corner. If this is truly what Sony's system is capable of what does that mean for third party parity? I first had this question when I saw the Order and their on stage trailer (like it or not) was visually mind blowing. Then they show this?I really just can't.

What will this mean for third party companies games? Will they be comfortable being significantly outclassed by Sony's 1st party guys or will they actually try to compete graphically?
Looking at The Witcher 3 and Assassin's Creed: Unity, I think 3rd parties will be fine.

lmbotiva

i have to say ND is exposing themselves to get crucified and burned by all its fans as many people here and all around the internet does not know the difference between targeting 60 frames and confirming it will be 60 frames, IMO they shouldn't have release any of that info, just say the trailer is real time and that would have pleased everyone

I can't even process myself actually playing this game at that fidelity. I just can't. Corrinne Yu must be loving life, I'm happy for her.

And we all know SSM is the true king, they are going to knock it out of the park, although Naughty D's are closing the gap fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom