• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 Trailer runs in-engine, in-game, in realtime on a single PS4 at 1080p60

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the posters were worried that it was in-engine, but not in-game
Some games switch out the standard models for higher-def. models during in-engine cutscenes, since the camera angles are set in stone the devs can do more things knowing the game wont have to load xy and z because the game wont let you look there.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I can't see Sony/ND hyping this up and then downgrading, so they must be confident in how the final game is going to look and run.

There have been zero downgrades from WWS this generation. Killzone, Infamous, and Knack all looked better at release than their unveiling. We see how many upgrades DriveClub has had in the last year.

Ok doubters, Corrine Yu didn't say it was real time, but she did say it wasn't prerendered. Now if it's not real time and it's not prerendered, then what? Post rendered?

:O

Be right back, freezing myself until 2015 arrives and I have this game in my hands. Naughty Dog are really Naughty Gods, seriously. :bows: This stuff is why they are my favorite developer.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
at this point its just easier to wait for gameplay footage than to try and read between the lines as to whether its in real time or just a cutscene running in-engine but with a higher quality model

Yeah so as cool as this sounds, nothing else we have seen on any system has anything with graphics that compare to these. So I'm not sure how this is possible. Everything we've seen so far seems really nice but nowhere near the leap this is. Take Infamous for example, it looks fantastic and couldn't be done on the ps3, but this uncharted footage seems like one step above that. I just don't see how. I really hope so but I have to be skeptical.

god of war 3 ran on a ps3. if they showed that thing on 2006 instead of 2009 you'd be saying the same thing.

the ps3 hardware has been the same since 2006 so gow3 on 2006 was possible but people wouldn't have believed it back then back when y'all were playing what, moto gp 2006?

shandy706

I'm not at all surprised it is in-engine. I figured it was when I first saw it.

After looking at the real-time stuff (and in engine) in Ryse, it's more than believable.

Melfice7

It vomits out digestive acid on your skin, then sucks it back up again.

tumblr_ltzpr9KwxW1qj7u8ao4_500.gif

Hoje0308

Banned
i have to say ND is exposing themselves to get crucified and burned by all its fans as many people here and all around the internet does not know the difference between targeting 60 frames and confirming it will be 60 frames, IMO they shouldn't have release any of that info, just say the trailer is real time and that would have pleased everyone

The trailer is running at 60, that would just invite the inevitable questions. If you're informed enough to know that they're targeting 60, it's your responsibility to know what that means. Also, there will always be people with an agenda that like to do nothing more than bitch and moan. Just look at the more "concerned" posts in this thread.

god of war 3 ran on a ps3. if they showed that thing on 2006 instead of 2009 you'd be saying the same thing.

the ps3 hardware has been the same since 2006 so gow3 on 2006 was possible but people wouldn't have believed it back then back when y'all were playing what, moto gp 2006?

I remember when people saw the GOW3 demo that came with a movie and said it did not look that good or it was a PS2.5 game good times.

Spongebob

Banned

After looking at the real-time stuff (and in engine) in Ryse, it's more than believable.
Ryse = 900p/30fps
UC4 = 1080p/60fps

It's understandable to question how a PS4 could run a game that looks better than Ryse at a higher resolution with twice the framerate.

I already called the local butcher to bring his best Brahman bull. Tonight we will cut his testicles and we will offer his strength and virility to the Gods.
Umbasa

Alchemist

i-Lo

Someone should simply ask ND or Ms. Yu whether they are targeting the fidelity of the trailer during gameplay moments at said resolution and frame rate or whether there would be a delta between the two akin to TLoU. Seems even some of the questions are beating around the bush.

Loudninja

Look at Drive club,The Order,and inFamous Sony devs are no joke.

Well RAD is not really a Sony dev ,but they are working with SSM. :p

because it's not.
Yeah. Your constant negativity in any Sony thread makes me inclined to believe you are being objective, here, and not just spilling salt everywhere.
/obvioussarcasm

I'm surprised that it's in engine/in game/non-pre-rendered. Looks amazing. Then again, I expected as much from ND. Just look at what they did last gen.

(Bring it, SSM.)

farisr

Looks awesome. But why did it need color correction? Did they mess up the trailer or something?

Color corrected to the skin tones etc we're used to seeing from the previous games. Gives a better idea of how it looks in comparison, how more normal lighting situations would look like in the game.

Stillmatic

In-engine, they didn't say in-game. In-game, they didn't say real-time. Real-time, they didn't say actual gameplay.

I don't think devs are as sensitive to these terms as skeptics. It's pretty obvious what ND are saying here. Exciting times!

i-Lo

There is distinct difference in fidelity between cutscenes and gameplay in Ruse, albeit the latter still looking gorgeous

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Someone should simply ask ND or Ms. Yu whether they are targeting the fidelity of the trailer during gameplay moments at said resolution and frame rate or whether there would be a delta between the two akin to TLoU. Seems even some of the questions are beating around the bush.

If the cutscenes are indeed real time then there will be no difference.

GameSeeker

There have been zero downgrades from WWS this generation. Killzone, Infamous, and Knack all looked better at release than their unveiling. We see how many upgrades DriveClub has had in the last year.

This is the most important point. After the PS3 fiasco of CGI trailers (KZ2 and Motorstorm), for the PS4 generation Sony 1st party games have used 100% real, in-game footage for their trailers.

Folks didn't believe KZ:SF would look as good as the early trailers, but it ended up looking even better. Similarly, many folks thought the Infamous:SS trailers were CGI, but the final game ended up looking even better than the early trailers. DriveClub is shaping up nicely to meet it's early trailers too. Folks thought The Order: 1886 reveal trailer was CGI, but that game too is looking better than the reveal trailer.

jaypah

Yeah so as cool as this sounds, nothing else we have seen on any system has anything with graphics that compare to these. So I'm not sure how this is possible. Everything we've seen so far seems really nice but nowhere near the leap this is. Take Infamous for example, it looks fantastic and couldn't be done on the ps3, but this uncharted footage seems like one step above that. I just don't see how. I really hope so but I have to be skeptical.

Wasn't the QD demo real-time? Rhetorical, we know it was. There's not a lot going on in this footage. NOT TO SAY THAT IT ISN'T IMPRESSIVE! It is. But when zoomed in to Drake's face on a PS4 I expect ND to be able to achieve that. Camera pulls out so you can start playing and the model won't be as detailed because you don't need it to be. The processing power will then be split between Drake, NPCs and environments. It will no doubt look like nothing before seen but nothing about this seems undoable. I'm more impressed by the fact that games have gotten to this point. It's quite remarkable. Of course it's ND so it's not like this is the standard but still, quite cool to see.

dolabla

Color corrected to the skin tones etc we're used to seeing from the previous games. Gives a better idea of how it looks in comparison, how more normal lighting situations would look like in the game.

Ah, ok. Gotcha. It looks much better, lol.

shandy706

The stuff you are alluding to (cutscenes) in Ryse in NOT real-time. Sorry...

You misread.

I mentioned two different things. Didn't even attempt to allude to something.

In engine renders using the same assets and real time. Both were impressive.

ND with the PS4 are more than capable and this is most likely a similar situation.

slapnuts

holyshit, ps4 just won this gen.

A lot of us already knew this but something a lot of us refused to believe (not me but many others) is how capable of a machine PS4 with the hardware it has under its hood. I never once doubted the PS4 would not raise the bar in some way graphically over any platform including PC. Keep in mind i am a PC gamer myself but i always knew that the PS4 would match what my high end PC is "currently" pumping out. Not that i am saying the PS4 is more powerful than a high end PC...but because it is a closed box system and if you put that kind of hardware that is in the PS4 into the hands of competent developers such as Naughty Dog and few other Sony 1st party teams...these are the kind of visuals i fully expected out of PS4 and here it is.

Make no mistake about it....people can say all the want about how underpowered the new consoles are but i would be careful including the PS4 in that underpowered group. Also keep in mind that GPGPU,etc environment being specifically used to render videogames is something we have yet to truly see until now with this game and a few other upcoming games. Anyone remember Naughty Dogs presentation on PS4 hardware? Again...this is proof that the PS4 is very capable machine that will push the visual bar ahead of anything else in certain cases.

Like i said before, there is absolutely NO WAY could i go this entire generation with just PC gaming..fuck no, there are just way too many bad ass looking games coming out on the PS4 that will rival the best of what my high end PC can do that wont ever come to the PC. The PS4 goes so well with the PC and that is my setup for this gen. I may get a X1 later down the road but i just feel its going to have a lot of trouble keeping up with PS4 in terms of visuals and visuals are a very important thing to me personally when it comes to gaming these days. I guess last gen being milked so long has put me in this desire of moving onto new generation of graphics and PC and PS4 will both be doing this.

wapplew

Ryse = 900p/30fps
UC4 = 1080p/60fps

It's understandable to question how a PS4 could run a game that looks better than Ryse at a higher resolution with twice the framerate.

For what it's worth, UC4 could probably run at 792p/60fps or 1080p/30fps on Xbone.

i-Lo

If the cutscenes are indeed real time then there will be no difference.

If it is akin to Arkham Knight's recent demo then I unequivocally concur. My only reason for scepticism is born out of their usage of "and" instead of "or" with regards to resolution and framerate. combination

Cornbread78

Makes you wonder how much input ND had in the PS4 developement to make it look that damn good so early in the system life..

Looks damn amazing, what is TLoU goi.g to look like next month? Damn...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom