• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted (PS4) announced, developed by protozoans and Druckmann's evil karma

What if ND pulls off an MGS2? Have you play as Francis Drake for some of the game, and then boom, time skip and you're Nate.

There's no way Nate isn't in this game. I'd be SHOCKED if he wasn't actually.

I think they're gonna do some kind of time skipping narrative that jumps between Nate in modern times and Francis Drake in the 1500s.

SSReborn

I'm telling you guys......the voice in the trailer was Michael C. Hall (Dexter Morgan).

I'm sure of it.

th

The voice actor is Todd Stashwick.

dapoktan

Probably not gonna see too much early video... I remember reading that one of their biggest regrets last launch was showing uncharted 1 too early and getting backlash.

I'm telling you guys......the voice in the trailer was Michael C. Hall (Dexter Morgan).

I'm sure of it.

th

It is Todd Stashwick.

UC3 was a great game. Loved the final third. Only wished we could have explored Ubar/Iram more and fleshed out the relationship with the villains.

But that ending gave me feels.

Yea, but those game aren't good either. I did finish Uncharted 3 but more often than not I was talking to my television, seriously questioning design choices and what it did to my mental health.

The biggest flaw in Uncharted 3, according to me, is the enemy count. They could have easily halved the number of enemies in the game and it would have been better as a result.
UC3 had way less enemies than UC2

Mostly I agree though.

UC3s biggest problems were a lack of polish due to being restricted in their release window and straying too close to the success of UC2 rather than being new and exciting

I don't think the game will take place in the past. Shooting is a big part of the Uncharted formula, but they only had very primitive weapons during Francis Drake's time. Sure they could change the gameplay, but why make a game too similar to Assassin's Creed when the previous titles were so well received?

jayu26

The tone of the teaser is very serious, which is odd for a new Uncharted reveal. Also, they mentioned easter eggs in it. Has anyone found them?

At the end on forehead of the skull is a symbol that looks like this: I I I

I will never understand the Uncharted 3 hate.

Lovely game.

UC3 is a good game, it just fails in comparison to the outstanding achievement that was UC2.

But I have to say that if this game doesn't have Nathan, I'll be going in with the lowest of low expectations. The dialogue in the games is one of my favorite things about the series, and if it's a prequel or something there's just no way it'll have the same charm the other Uncharted games have.

Zinthar

People who say Francis Drake forget he was an English fella.

Not only that, but the narrator also sounds like he has an American accent, and Francis Drake died before the British had even begun to colonize America.

My guess is that the narrator is going to be the main antagonist in the game and is someone Nathan Drake knew before Sully.

BadAss2961

UC3 people? It's good that we'll have another Uncharted game better than 1 and 2.
Always the contrarian. lol

UC3 hate is way overblown though. On the same console, there was nowhere to go but down following Uncharted 2... UC3 was literally more UC2, just slightly not as good or as polished.

On GAF, UC3 is just a victim of impossible expectations and hyperbole.

RPGamer92

Banned
Gemüsepizza;89933431 said:
I don't think the game will take place in the past. Shooting is a big part of the Uncharted formula, but they only had very primitive weapons during Francis Drake's time. Sure they could change the gameplay, but why make a game too similar to Assassin's Creed when the previous titles were so well received?
Besides, Nolan North said a few weeks ago he saw incredible things on PS4. It'd be a bit awkward to have him play Francis Drake after playing Nate.

Prompto

Banned
Im excited. A bit disappointed that it isn't a new ip but it looks like this might end up being different from the others.

B.O.O.M

Seriously they might going for a really dark take on the franchise/story this time

II. Hodie mecum eris in Paradiso.
The Second Word: Today you will be with me in Paradise.

I love the Lord, because he has heard the voice of my supplication,*
because he has inclined his ear to me whenever I called upon him.

The cords of death entangled me; the grip of the grave took hold of me;*
I came to grief and sorrow.

Then I called upon the Name of the Lord:*
“O Lord, I pray you, save my life.”

Gracious is the Lord and righteous;*
our God is full of compassion.

I will walk in the presence of the Lord *
in the land of the living.
--Psalm 116:1-4,8

O Master, Lord Jesus Christ our God, You made a way into Paradise for the penitent thief, and by death destroyed death: Cleanse us, your unworthy servants, for we fall into sin continuously and are not worthy to lift up our eyes and look upon the heights of heaven. Forgive us for departing from the path of righteousness and following the desires of our own hearts. [From the Prayers of the Ninth Hour of the Orthodox Office]

One of the criminals who were hanged railed at him, saying, “Are you the Christ? Save yourself and us!” But the other rebuked him, saying, “Do you not fear God, since you are under the same sentence of condemnation: And we indeed justly; for we are receiving the due reward of our deeds; but this man has done nothing wrong.” And he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.” And he said to him, “Truly I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise.” [Luke 23:39-43]

UC3 is a good game, it just fails in comparison to the outstanding achievement that was UC2.

But I have to say that if this game doesn't have Nathan, I'll be going in with the lowest of low expectations. The dialogue in the games is one of my favorite things about the series, and if it's a prequel or something there's just no way it'll have the same charm the other Uncharted games have.

The plane/desert scene is just fantastic imo. Scary to think what these guys will do on PS4

Not only that, but the narrator also sounds like he has an American accent, and Francis Drake died before the British had even begun to colonize America.

My guess is that the narrator is going to be the main antagonist in the game and is someone Nathan Drake knew before Sully.

Not possible. Nate has known Sully since he was like, 13.

Seriously they might going for a really dark take on the franchise/story this time

O Master, Lord Jesus Christ our God, You made a way into Paradise for the penitent thief, and by death destroyed death: Cleanse us, your unworthy servants, for we fall into sin continuously and are not worthy to lift up our eyes and look upon the heights of heaven. Forgive us for departing from the path of righteousness and following the desires of our own hearts. [From the Prayers of the Ninth Hour of the Orthodox Office]

One of the criminals who were hanged railed at him, saying, “Are you the Christ? Save yourself and us!” But the other rebuked him, saying, “Do you not fear God, since you are under the same sentence of condemnation: And we indeed justly; for we are receiving the due reward of our deeds; but this man has done nothing wrong.” And he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.” And he said to him, “Truly I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise.” [Luke 23:39-43]

I get creepy vibes from this. I hope this game is really creepy.

Mifune

Mehmber
My guess is that the frame of this game will be present-day Drake with extended flashbacks to Sir Francis Drake. They already tested the waters in UC3 with the flashbacks to young Drake.

kasane

I find some bible scriptures creepy

prophecy0

This trailer is showing Drake's (Sir Francis) circumnavigation trip. The Cape of Good hope was an important marker on this trip. Hodie mecvm eris in paradiso (the last bit of the Uncharted teaser)...It's Latin: Today you will be in Paradise. The man talking I think is Thomas Doughty who Drake charged with mutiny and witchcraft.

Thanks for the details! I'm betting that this game will be split between the past (Sir Francis Drake) and the present (original cast). Either way, it should be great.

Do you think? To me it looks like they already have a franchise with a dark tone (TLOU) and I would imagine they are happy that Uncharted in contrast is a more lighthearted game.

Trailer dissection:
- The island is called Ile St. Marie, off the east coast of Madagascar
- Thought to be the location of Libertatia/Libertalia, a (possibly fictional) haven for Pirates
- Founded in the late 17th century, which rules out Francis Drake (he died in 1596 in real life, and a little bit later in Uncharted lore)
- Their motto was 'For God and Liberty' (right there on the map)
- 'Hodie Mecum Eris In Paradiso' is 'Today, you shall be with me in Paradise' in Latin, one of the seven last words of Christ
- I'm guessing the narrator is an old adventuring buddy of Nate's (like Harry Flynn and Eddie Raja), who Nate presumably left to rot in an awful prison somewhere, who's now escaped and is plotting revenge. Of course, maybe the game has nothing to do with Nate at all.

Man, UC3 receives too much hate. Such a great game. Desert Drake is Best Drake.

Nathan-Drake.jpg

My guess is that the frame of this game will be present-day Drake with extended flashbacks to Sir Francis Drake. They already tested the waters in UC3 with the flashbacks to young Drake.

Yeah, this might work. But I figured since UC1 and UC3 both dealt with Sir Francis, that we wouldn't be going back to that well.

Those blurred out figures could just be 17th century pirates in that Libertatia place?

Top Bottom