• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted (PS4) announced, developed by protozoans and Druckmann's evil karma

Raiku

Trailer dissection:
- The island is called Ile St. Marie, off the east coast of Madagascar
- Thought to be the location of Libertatia/Libertalia, a (possibly fictional) haven for Pirates
- Founded in the late 17th century, which rules out Francis Drake (he died in 1596 in real life, and a little bit later in Uncharted lore)
- Their motto was 'For God and Liberty' (right there on the map)
- 'Hodie Mecum Eris In Paradiso' is 'Today, you shall be with me in Paradise' in Latin, one of the seven last words of Christ
- I'm guessing the narrator is an old adventuring buddy of Nate's (like Harry Flynn and Eddie Raja), who Nate presumably left to rot in an awful prison somewhere, who's now escaped and is plotting revenge. Of course, maybe the game has nothing to do with Nate at all.

ohhh.png

Let's hope the extra time is enough to offset changing platforms.

Naughty Dog, a plea from an Uncharted fan. Don't design the set pieces first and then ask Amy to write a story to make sense of them. No more pointless abandon ship levels because they look kewl or chase missions that you designed before you knew who the villain Drake was chasing. I'm up for another Uncharted, so long as you do right by Amy.

RaikuHebi

Banned
I agree with the theories that the game'll jump between the past and modern Drake.

No pointless 10 minutes desert walk.
No pointless 10 minutes drugued in a market walk
No pointless 10 minutes hallucination at the end of the game.

It could be good!
I actually like those segments. Sure if they could add some challenge and game to them it'll be great, but I love sections of games where there is down-time. Particularly common in JRPGs of course.

Raziel

I hope it's effectively Uncharted 4 and just expands and next gen-ifies the current formula. A prequel/reboot or whatever with Francis Drake and pirates is giving me Ass Creed 4 visions, though I'm sure ND's game would be better.

Mr. Fix

If they're teasing it now I wouldn't be surprised to see a VGAs trailer. Unless the game is really stupid early and this teaser was just a result of Sony/GameTrailers begging for something new to talk about.

Ideally, the game would have to have been in development for almost 2 years now, and closing in on 3 years come next holiday. I'd want it to be out by then, but we don't even have a release date for The Order yet.

UC3 was not a good game now? lol. Just lol.

I know right?
Have these people only been playing games that were rated 10's all their lives? Uncharted 3 was a good game. PERIOD! Maybe it didn't live up to some people's astronomical expectations but it was not a bad game.

Sir Francis Drake in 1570 = assault rifles weren't invented yet = no shooty shoot bangs = completely re-worked gameplay mechanics = not exactly the same Uncharted people know and love = risky, and you might as well have made a completely new IP

I don't think it's a Francis Drake game.

Trailer could be a ruse, and they are going a complete new direction. Keeping the Uncharted name, but changing location, setting, characters and everything

Drakes In Space

It was a pretty stark trailer for Uncharted. I hope The Last of Us's success isn't going to retroactively un-funny Uncharted.

It could be good!

But but but but but Tibetan village in Uncharted 2. You loved that, right? I THOUGHT YOU LOVED THAT! We just wanted you to love it more so we made an entire game of "walking through Tibetan village."

Y U NO LIKE?

Pain

Banned
I like uncharted games but I cant get exited about of an announcement with nothing to show.
It's a teaser meant to get you thinking. If you're not an uncharted fan, there's nothing here for you yet. Maybe well get a full trailer at the VGAs.

B.O.O.M

It could be good!

Desert walk and the hallucinations were awesome. I absolutely agree on the market run tho..that bit was a mess

Pirates in my Uncharted? It doesn't get any better than this.
Ninjas and bears that shoot lasers..there's still some room

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
ND B-team at the helm. My excitement is contained. Hopefully Nathan is in the game in some form. IDGAF if they have to pull time travel out of a hat.

Lightning

Banned
LOL yourself, it really wasn't.

At least before the patch.
Calling UC3 a bad game is ridiculous, no matter the hate.

The setting of the game is so similar to UC2, maybe that's where they made their mistake but it was a fantastic game. UC2 had a ton of set pieces as well but UC2 and 3 have so much in common with UC3 adding some nice puzzles into the mix.

The stealth and gunplay could have been better but it's most certainly not a bad game, in fact it's a very good game. Perhaps it's the bar you've set that's the issue and it should say a bad Uncharted game in your opinion, But bad game? No just no.

odhiex

I love... loooooooovvvee uncharted series. So this makes me happy.

I bought a ps3 in 2009 with U1, was anticipating U2. I thought U3 was really good..

Well I am sure some of you are dissapointed when compare it to U2. But, hell... you are compare U3 with a masterpiece U2 anyway.

I love TLoU, I think it has better story than any Uncharteds.. but for me nothing beat the experience I had with Uncharted 2.

I believe ND will deliver.

rdrr gnr

Naughty Dog, a plea from an Uncharted fan. Don't design the set pieces first and then ask Amy to write a story to make sense of them. No more pointless abandon ship levels because they look kewl or chase missions that you designed before you knew who the villain Drake was chasing. I'm up for another Uncharted, so long as you do right by Amy.
Exactly. I'd take fewer trailer moments for a more coherent story. Uncharted 2 worked because it started en medias res. Their storytelling approach needs to change.

The second act (the Ship Graveyard) was the out-of-place stuff in UC3 cause there was no real story reason. It just got convoluted.

The Desert Trek was sublime. I loved everything from the infiltration of the base to the destruction of Ubar (only wish is that we could have explored more).

But I loved the hallucinations and Drake coming apart near the end. It was a good twist on the "Supernatural Enemy" bit when it could possibly be legit Djinn-infested soldiers or Drake just losing his shit cause of the water.

Cause... King Solomon's vase thing was in the water. Best supernatural aspect of all three games. Ubar was beautiful.

I've noticed that the defense of Uncharted 3 is that my bar was set too high.

As if me not liking UC3 is totally my fault for just being unrealistic. Nothing the game did was wrong, it was all just me.

Come on, guys.

Mariolee

I really hope this speculation about this being gritty doesn't come to fruition. I already got dark with The Last of Us, which I loved, but I really hope this is more lighthearted. Even moreso than Uncharted 3 which seemed to get a bit too far into drama for me.

The "you owe me" line was delivered somewhat comedically, so here's hoping! :D

Top Bottom