• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted (PS4) announced, developed by protozoans and Druckmann's evil karma

I love Uncharted and can't wait to play this. I just hope this isn't a reboot and we don't see Nathan Drake.

To me Nathan Drake is Uncharted.

I feel the same way. Francis Drake as the main character sounds interesting and would change things up a bit, but Uncharted without Nathan just doesn't seem right. I'm torn. :/

Always the contrarian. lol

UC3 hate is way overblown though. On the same console, there was nowhere to go but down following Uncharted 2... UC3 was literally more UC2, just slightly not as good or as polished.

On GAF, UC3 is just a victim of impossible expectations and hyperbole.

UC3 is more UC2 but worse. No, not just "didn't live up to UC2," and not "not as good," it's a WORSE game in every way that matters to me. There was a lot they could've done to improve Uncharted 2's formula that didn't need better hardware, so the "only way to go was down" stuff doesn't fly. Some of the hate is overblown without a good argument behind it, but a lot of us have valid reasons for not enjoying the game.

Kashinoda

Banned
Gemüsepizza;89933431 said:
I don't think the game will take place in the past. Shooting is a big part of the Uncharted formula, but they only had very primitive weapons during Francis Drake's time. Sure they could change the gameplay, but why make a game too similar to Assassin's Creed when the previous titles were so well received?

That's like seeing the Last Of Us trailer and saying 'why make a Zombie game?'.

Treading familiar ground is fine if you get it spot on, and why does everyone think Assassins Creed has some sort of monopoly on pirate games.

Imtey

Banned
So pissed but expected, I didnt really enjoy UC1 and am playing uc2 and i dont know if ill bother finishing it :(

Gorillaz

With the way the studio works, I'm going to assume they are adding a little more of the grittiness (and hopefully openish gameplay) from TLoU. Pretty dark for a Uncharted trailer

I wouldn't be surprised if this will be the game where you play as sir Francis Drake

So Uncharted 3 team = Uncharted
TLOU team = New IP?

Pretty sure TLOU will get a sequel. It was way too popular. :p

------

I'll never understand the Uncharted 3 hate. While I don't think it was quite as good as Uncharted 2, I had a blast with UC3. And I spent many a hour in the multiplayer for it as well.

From Kotaku
ku-xlarge.png

Google Translate says the words around the skull mean: "Today you will be with me in paradise."
-Stephen Totilo

I'm really hoping its all Francis Drake. As much as I love Nathan, he could use a few years rest IMO

I really hope when they return to Nathan though they don't go and age him.

Always the contrarian. lol

UC3 hate is way overblown though. On the same console, there was nowhere to go but down following Uncharted 2... UC3 was literally more UC2, just slightly not as good or as polished.

On GAF, UC3 is just a victim of impossible expectations and hyperbole.

What went wrong with UC3:

Time spent on 3D
Bigger focus on multiplayer
Set pieces created first and then half assed story created around the set pieces

viveks86

Trailer dissection:
- The island is called Ile St. Marie, off the east coast of Madagascar
- Thought to be the location of Libertatia/Libertalia, a (possibly fictional) haven for Pirates
- Founded in the late 17th century, which rules out Francis Drake (he died in 1596 in real life, and a little bit later in Uncharted lore)
- Their motto was 'For God and Liberty' (right there on the map)
- 'Hodie Mecum Eris In Paradiso' is 'Today, you shall be with me in Paradise' in Latin, one of the seven last words of Christ
- I'm guessing the narrator is an old adventuring buddy of Nate's (like Harry Flynn and Eddie Raja), who Nate presumably left to rot in an awful prison somewhere, who's now escaped and is plotting revenge. Of course, maybe the game has nothing to do with Nate at all.

Cool. Thanks for sharing! So excited!

Sojgat

Am I missing something?

Stashwick just sounds like someone Nate has fucked over in the past, now back for revenge. He'll probably be the game's main antagonist.

Tratorn

Nice!
I was 99% sure they'd still release at least one Uncharted on PS4, but still nice to finally have the announcement.
PS4 redeemed already. :D

From Wafflemonster on Facepunch
http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1325168&p=42868670

At one point the map says "Every betrayed us all" and after searching that last name up, I found out that there was a seventeenth century pirate named Henry Every who is famous for having actually kept all of his treasure until his death. Another thing he did was attack and ransack the royal fleet and flagship of the Mughal emperor of India.

He also apparently operated around the Indian ocean and Caribbean Sea, so it would be a good bet that the game will possibly take place in and around India, Africa, and the Caribbean which is very interesting. The map also shows Madagascar and the Cape of Good Hope in South Africa, which further reinforces that.

Famassu

Meh. I had the tab open but was browsing another one so when I heard the Naughty Dog person saying "we have something else to show you" and didn't immediately hear Drake's voice, I was like "a new IP for PS4 from ND?!?!?" Then I switched to the Playstation Access tab and saw a map and knew it was another Uncharted game.

Again. Meh. I'm excited to see how a not-a-rushed (for launch) Naughty Dog PS4 game looks and I'll quite likely enjoy playing the game, I'm sure, but I'd rather they had done a new IP. At least unless they are able to offer something that makes the franchise feel fresh outside the obvious insane jump in graphics (maybe more open level design, some more complex & more skill-based gameplay instead of admittedly well done but ultimately simple shooter gameplay & somewhat-too-automated platforming).

Zinthar

Not possible. Nate has known Sully since he was like, 13.

Alright, not necessarily before he met Sully, but someone he knew during his teens. I think I remember reading that Drake's year of birth was supposed to be 1980, so he'll be around 34 when the game comes out. Could have been someone he knew in his teens (15 years prior).

Kashinoda

Banned
I doubt the people behind TLOU will make a new ip considering how successful The Last of Us was.

Surely that's also a reason why they would make a new IP.

After watching Neil Druckmann's keynote/presentation recently and generally following stuff Last Of Us related, I feel they're done with it - they've told the story they wanted to.

coughlanio

It also shows The Cape of Good Hope in the trailer. Francis Drake sailed passed here on his way back from the Indian Ocean in the 1500s.

It's also the home of The Flying Dutchman, possible story point for the game.

B.O.O.M

Gemüsepizza;89933883 said:
Do you think? To me it looks like they already have a franchise with a dark tone (TLOU) and I would imagine they are happy that Uncharted in contrast is a more lighthearted game.

Well wouldn't surprise me if they wanted go for a different more serious story this time around. I think they can do it with some of the humor still intact

From Kotaku
ku-xlarge.png

Google Translate says the words around the skull mean: "Today you will be with me in paradise."
-Stephen Totilo

hehe I already posted that way earlier in the thread. Here's the reference

http://fullhomelydivinity.org/articles/seven last words.htm

Hodie mecum eris in Paradiso. - "This day thou shalt be with me in Paradise."

AKA, Luke, the gospel writer's version of some of Jesus' last words.

edit: beaten like Caviezel's post-Jesus career.

Trailer could be a ruse, and they are going a complete new direction. Keeping the Uncharted name, but changing location, setting, characters and everything

Drakes In Space

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I liked Uncharted 3 but had a lot of problems with the pacing, encounters, and level design, so it was a lesser game in every respect to Uncharted 2. But I also don't think Uncharted 2 is close to being god's gift to gaming either, and had its own share of problems, so it's not like knowing the director is that of Uncharted 3 will turn me off Uncharted 4. I've enjoyed every game enough to know I'll grab the fourth, eventually.

If they're teasing it now I wouldn't be surprised to see a VGAs trailer. Unless the game is really stupid early and this teaser was just a result of Sony/GameTrailers begging for something new to talk about.

Top Bottom