• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unlocking Destiny Early (Xbox One)

iSpitfireBreh

Neo Member
I don't think you can since you do own the game but as a part of the bundle. I think it may just show unavailable. Worth a try though see what you get.

Just checked and it says I can purchase the Pre-Order edition :O. So if I change system local to Australia, reboot and purchase from the store I will have access? So close to pulling the trigger.

Hanmik

Just checked and it says I can purchase the Pre-Order edition :O. So if I change system local to Australia, reboot and purchase from the store I will have access? So close to pulling the trigger.

how long do you have to wait till it unlocks in your region..?

I shouldn't laugh but an asshole on reddit was bragging to me how got it cheaper than the uk price by buying from USa i explained to him that with discounted UK currency cards it only cost me £8 more and i said id rather have that and play at midnight uk time his response was ill just switch to NZ anyway.....he was so arrogant about it i have to have a chuckle

Its 8am by the way

People should get it from HK if they want cheap,even more cheaper than US and may just 4 hours later than NZ(which is faster than EU and NA)

Skele7on

Banned
I shouldn't laugh but an asshole on reddit was bragging to me how got it cheaper than the uk price by buying from USa i explained to him that with discounted UK currency cards it only cost me £8 more and i said id rather have that and play at midnight uk time his response was ill just switch to NZ anyway.....he was so arrogant about it i have to have a chuckle

Its 8am by the way

Haha, See I bought my copy from the US store so don't mind waiting.

I am going to get a copy from my local store anyway my ghost edition for PS4.....

Hatchtag

Banned
I understand not updating until midnight in the country you're in, but why the hell pacific time for all of the US? That's so stupid.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Comment from Reddit.

I just created a new New Zealand Gamertag. The game still shows as unavailable on xbox.com - do you guys remember what happened when Destiny first became available for preload? There was a problem where it would be available for some people but not others, that might have something to do with it. Not only that, but the AU site is taking a while to update at all. The 360 version isn't even up for download yet. It could just be that they're really slow, all of the ads still say pre-order. Might just have to wait until later today for the updates. :/

Knowing our luck the pre-load unlocks everywherel when it launches in the US . :p

gossi

There's no such thing as a New Zealand Gamertag as it's one database, so take that with a pinch of salt.

JTGreat

I got the game super cheap off the Hong Kong store, looking forward to see if it'll let me play it 40 mins.

Shadders

There's no such thing as a New Zealand Gamertag as it's one database, so take that with a pinch of salt.

He might just mean a fresh profile/Windows Live account all dressed up to look like a kiwi. Basically going a step further than switching regions to try and trick it.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Because that's the way it is, the digital store is based in PST timezone

no, it's because bungie has it arbitrarily set for that in the US. Other digital unlocks (on PS4) use 12am EDT just fine. For some reason Bungie is doing 12am PDT here for all pre-load consoles :(

It shouldn't be. It basically screws over midnight launches for 3 out of 4 U.S. timezones, and that makes it all the more tempting to not go digital with future games.

yeah... really not sure of their reasoning here.. Will be interesting to see what time CODAW unlocks at. I thought D3:ROS on PS4 unlocked at 12am EDT (Activision Blizzard also, but Blizzard as a publisher)

hwalker84

I understand not updating until midnight in the country you're in, but why the hell pacific time for all of the US? That's so stupid.

Because Sony and Microsoft for some reason want to punish people who purchase from their digital stores. My buddy calls me tonight asking if i'm going to be online tonight at 12am. I tell him unfortunately due to the digital store stupidity I have to wait till 3am which by that time I will be sleeping.

borghe

All you need is a valid address. I have an account setup with the address being at the UK embassy in Sydney lol.

to buy it you most likely need an Australian payment method. You can switch regions no problem, but digital stores almost always require native payment method/address. It's the biggest pain in the ass buying digital games from Japan if you're not using a game card.

Because Sony and Microsoft for some reason want to punish people who purchase from their digital stores. My buddy calls me tonight asking if i'm going to be online tonight at 12am. I tell him unfortunately due to the digital store stupidity I have to wait till 3am which by that time I will be sleeping.
Again it's Bungie, not MS (at least directly). Other unlocks (Madden, PS4 unlocks, etc) were at 12am EDT. For some reason Bungie had MS do this... either that or pressure from MS' retail partners. I mean it has to be one or the other.

Larogue

to buy it you most likely need an Australian payment method. You can switch regions no problem, but digital stores almost always require native payment method/address. It's the biggest pain in the ass buying digital games from Japan if you're not using a game card.

Well for me I can buy games fine with my credit card details, doesn't matter the country/region just use a local address from the same region.

58669-so-youre-telling-me-theres-a-c-Sm9B.gif

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned

No problems for me. I've used my English debit card on AU, US and CA stores. Had no issues.

borghe

No problems for me. I've used my English debit card on AU, US and CA stores. Had no issues.

really? wow.. color me shocked! Ok, nm then. I know Apple App Store and PSN are freaking annoying, and it's just WAAAYYY easier to add points/funds cards vs. trying to get a foreign credit card working.

Hatchtag

Banned
Again it's Bungie, not MS (at least directly). Other unlocks (Madden, PS4 unlocks, etc) were at 12am EDT. For some reason Bungie had MS do this... either that or pressure from MS' retail partners. I mean it has to be one or the other.

I'm talking about Microsoft. They didn't put D3 UEE online until Midnight Pacific either. Though, to be fair, it's also an Activision game. But still, going off of the two big games released in the small time frame since this started, it's been irritating so far, and I hope they stop it by the time Sunset Overdrive, GTA V, and Halo MCC are out.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned

Eh if it works I'll buy that. The cost of the US and HK together still only works out around £55 for me which is still cheaper.

So what language is it in the language/location menu? I see 4 with 2 being similar. I imagine those are Hong Kong S.A.R. (香港) and Hong Kong S.A.R. (English)

I pre-ordered from US marketplace (being in Sweden myself), tried changing to New Zeeland as region (and timezone) but it did not unlock for me. Even after a second reboot.

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
It depends on the type of fraud checks your bank carries out, if it believes your card has been scammed and being used fraudulently by someone else the payment may get blocked (happened to me till I spoke with the fraud team who cleared the charges, now no problems). No to be fair I purchase MS gift cards on amazon and add them to my US account.

Boom there you go.

From XBL Status for New Zealand:

Purchase and Content UsageLimited

Affected platforms:

Xbox One
Affected services:
Downloading items that you have already purchased
9/09/2014 3:31:14 a.m. NZST:
Are you having a hard time playing Destiny after pre-ordering a digital copy of the game? Our team is aware of the issue and currently working hard to get things fixed as quickly as possible. Thanks for being patient during this process. We’ll have an update for you in 30 minutes.

Related, no?

Affected platforms:

Xbox One
Affected services:
Are you having a hard time playing Destiny after pre-ordering a digital copy of the game? Our team is aware of the issue and currently working hard to get things fixed as quickly as possible. Thanks for being patient during this process. We’ll have an update for you in 30 minutes.

Related, no?

You might be right about that. It said "Unavailable" and not "Play it on 9/9/2014".

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned

Affected platforms:

Xbox One
Affected services:

Related, no?

Bah I knew it! It's the same for Australia as well. Maybe we should hold off the 30 minutes to see what happens.

Thanks for posting.

Top Bottom