• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do agree that Dance did a nice job setting up multiple arcs to really "pop" in the next book. However it was quite a painstaking process to get there, which wasn't enjoyable to read during some parts. He put in a lot of work rolling a boulder up the mountain. Now it's poised to roll down and be entertaining but as stated earlier he hasn't let go of some bad habits (based on preview chapters). How that will work now that all the POV chapters are back is a mystery. Maybe that's what is delaying things: trying to find a chapter balance+him wanting to keep various travel or world building chapters whixh results in less plot advancement time...
The setup thing mostly belies the real issue, which is the bloat that took over the series. Both in terms of unnecessary chapters/POVs and increasing chapter length. These largely aren't the product of the stage the story is in, but GRRM's present day style and lack of editing pressure. There's no real evidence that GRRM is through with this and that the series is now a ball rolling down a hill. Those are the types of arguments people always use when they say he will write the next book so much quicker, and it never works out that way.

Sean C

An article about the premiere in the Telegraph, which is written to be non-spoilery, though there are details to be mined from it, particularly in conjunction with other spoilers:

- The episode opens with Jon's body; this would presumably be the brief footage we've seen already and was shown at some previous HBO event.
- Melisandre "in no way dominates the action, but by the hour’s end, with a luridly surprising twist, sets the scene for some powerful sorcery to come."
- "The biggest cheer from the audience was reserved for the dramatic appearance of Brienne of Tarth (Gwendoline Christie), finally fulfilling a long-held ambition and making her loyal presence felt." Obviously Brienne's saving Sansa and Theon from the Boltons; which means that every shot of Sansa but one that we've seen so far is from the first episode.
- Regarding Sansa, "judging from the first hour of action, she’s certainly on her way [toward taking command], the long-suffering lady no more."
- For fans of Arya, "the opening episode is not an easy watch."

- EW on the premiere and last night's event (some vague spoilers)

Of interest:
You know those two season 6 trailers that got you so excited? A surprising amount of that footage is either from this first episode or from scenes that will seemingly happen in the next. In other words: There is so much more from this season’s storylines that hasn’t even been hinted in any of the released footage. (That said, a new, action-packed trailer revealing more content from season 6 screened after premiere.)
- Vanity Fair with a few tidbits from the cast

EDIT:
- Watchers with a roundup of red carpet photos, interviews, and other misc stuff from the red carpet

Moff

is davos the only show character, that has never let down book readers, yet?

trailer:
something tells me the tower of joy will be a huge disappointment

I can't give into the hype but I'm starting to let my guard down.

It can't possibly be worse than last season so it should be ok.

Im watching last season again currently, and Its so bad, and so unlike every other year. I am struggling to watch this again. to have 2 good episodes out of an entire season is just unfathomable.

All season long characters move at a muds pace, with the entire story arc could have been done in 3 episodes. Its pretty sad. It has definitely affected my hype. I am not feverishly waiting the season premier like I was last year and the years before it.

I have never heard the show runners talk about what a disappointment last season was, so it doesn't give me hope. Without a source to follow, it is obvious; they have no idea what to do.

P-K.jpg

That outfit

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
is davos the only show character, that has never let down book readers, yet?

trailer:
something tells me the tower of joy will be a huge disappointment

Something about that sword stabbing scene reminds me of 300. The "overacting" in the "Targaryen" guard.

Another thing I just noticed, Davos is talking to
House Mormont at 1:18. Those have to be bears sigils behind him.

One thing I also noticed, was Sansa had a Stark Wolf sigil on her shirt, so maybe this means she's finally hooked up with her people

Avoiding spoilers, as Im on Book 3. Can someone tell me if season 6 is supposed to finish off the last book or is it doing its own thing?

Also, one of my favourite chapters for some reason is the scene where Bran and his crew are in that Tower in God's Gift, and they sort of see the wildlings. For some reason, I just like the image of this tower on the island, and this abandoned land all around them.

Iksenpets

Banned
Ok that's a lot to take in!

Lannisters plus Freys having a feast, and Brienne and Pod at Riverrun. Also the scene where Pod gets snatched, maybe a Brotherhood agent? Red Wedding 2.0 setup definitely happening.

Loras looks ROUGH. So rough I actually thought he was Theon at first. And Marge looks really distraught to see him, implying that her conversion to the Sparrows probably is an act.

Davos talking in a Mormont hall. Sounds like they're reworking his role as Stannis' ambassador to the North to be for Jon, and having him pitch them on the White Walker threat. They may work the Rickon stuff in, too.

The Mountain is fucking Sparrows up. Anyone have any guesses on the scene shown in silhouette with someone backstabbing a Kingsguard? No idea what that is. I would think it's part of the flashback, maybe Howland killing Dayne, but the setting looks completely different, unless the fight somehow moves inside the tower.

Tower of Joy scene, is it me or does the Kingsguard who kills the Stark man look like a different one from the first trailer? Multiple Kingsguard confirmed?

Lots of crosses burning outside Winterfell. We may have been focused too much on the two. They may have just been standins to CGI the rest, and it's actually lots of nameless characters being burned? Maybe a lot of Northern lords?

Sansa's Queen in the North outfit is amazing.

Arya's getting some great action stuff this season between this blind stick fight with the waif and the parkour stuff in the earlier trailer.

The Volantene red priestess looks like a different actress from the one Watchers said had the part, unless the lighting just has her looking very different.

Being a dosh khaleen does not look fun.

Tyrion is definitely getting some riff on the Quentyn scene, though obviously he won't die.

Avoiding spoilers, as Im on Book 3. Can someone tell me if season 6 is supposed to finish off the last book or is it doing its own thing?

We know this season is covering stuff from book 4/5 but it's also going beyond those books. How accurate it will be to them we can't say until the next books have been released.

Moff

there is some stuff in it from A Feast For Crows, but mostly it's going to be from The Winds of Winter, I guess it's unknown how much of it is from what GRRM told the showrunners and how much of it they made up themselves or simply ignored/changed what GRRM told them.

Moff

I swear to god they are reducing
the kingsguard at the tower of joy to some nameless thugs in targaryen armor

NeoGiff

What the fuck? The production value... is this a Hollywood movie? I mean that in the best possible way. Jesus, what a trailer.

Iksenpets

Banned
What the fuck? The production value... is this a Hollywood movie? I mean that in the best possible way. Jesus, what a trailer.

It's seriously insane. It's pretty clear that their budget at this point is whatever they are physically capable of spending in a year. And at least in the snippets here, their action choreography actually looks good? That's always been a weakness for them but all of the fights here look quality.

Is that
aerys getting stabbed in the back???
shadow on the wall in the trailer question

I
thought it looked like the shadow getting stabbed was wearing a Kingsguard helmet, but I'm not sure.

I was watching some TV episodes for the first time after reading the books and wow, does Sansa get a rough deal in the show. In the books she is a treasonous asshole that didn't have it as bad later, but in the show she didn't even betray her father yet gets raped and shit in the latest season. I now understand the disappointment from the audience, there is no sense of comeuppance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom