• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn: New Trailer Lets You Take Control

Is this going to be one of those deals where they claim that you have to pre-order to get the bonus content, and then it turns out that every Day1 copy comes with a DLC code in it anyway?

My copy had no code in it. There's literally nothing but the game in the case. So it's definitely a code that will be sent to you. And it's important, as I mentioned in my review.

Fitts

I think that largely depends on what exactly it is about horror she doesn't like.
Because if it's gore and jump scares. Well... she's probably not going to like Until Dawn.

If it's people being dumb... well, you're in complete control of their decisions here.

Yeah, it's the scares. Neither of us care for gore to be honest, but I don't mind if it's integrated into the content and not a pillar of it. (ex. Hostel is some dumb, boring bullshit)

I don't really care how the game plays, my primary curiosity is how the game handles the story and characters (and how the performances of said characters are), and how the game handles the choices, is it comparable to games like The Walking Dead, Life is Strange, etc?

I've never played Life is Strange, but I played The Walking Dead and was super disappointed to find out that your choices don't matter in the end. That's not the case here, it's more like Heavy Rain where your choices absolutely do affect the outcome.

I haven't been keeping up with this game, but I just popped into another (closed) thread in which the first reply described it as "this generation's Heavy Rain." Is this an accurate correlation? Is the writing unintentionally hilarious"?

It's this generation's Heavy Rain in terms of the type of game it is, but it's intentionally hilarious, there's no dialogue that's awkward or lost in translation.

So will "playing smart" help? Or is it truly random and option A just as dangerous/safe as option B?

It's honestly about 50/50. If you are trying to go down a path/hallway, usually they lead to the same place, but if you have to make a decision to hide or run, those types of decisions have much more drastic outcomes.

So, can you still play this game with the move controller? If so, do you use it with the navigation controller to walk around? Or did they simply abandon the move controller for the Dual Shock 4 exclusively?

It uses the Dualshock 4 entirely. It also uses the PS4 camera to record your jump scares if you want it to, which is cruel!

Yeah, it's the scares. Neither of us care for gore to be honest, but I don't mind if it's integrated into the content and not a pillar of it. (ex. Hostel is some dumb, boring bullshit)

This game has about 30+ jump scares. I played it during the day because I knew it was going to be scary, and it still scared the crap out of me. But once you get far enough and learn the "reveal," the scares won't bother you anymore.

Starting my second playthrough now!

Fitts

This game has about 30+ jump scares. I played it during the day because I knew it was going to be scary, and it still scared the crap out of me. But once you get far enough and learn the "reveal," the scares won't bother you anymore.

If it plays on the contemporary horror formula of audio builds tension -> fades to (near) silence -> jump scare(!) then all the better. Lame as hell in movies but I would enjoy that kind of cheese in something like this.

If it plays on the contemporary horror formula of audio builds tension -> fades to (near) silence -> jump scare(!) then all the better. Lame as hell in movies but I would enjoy that kind of cheese in something like this.

Honestly, there's a mix of that. Sometimes it's straight out nowhere (cue Straight Outta meme).

UberTag

Honestly, there's a mix of that. Sometimes it's straight out nowhere (cue Straight Outta meme).
Chapter 2 spoiler...
Chris: "Oh I'll just open this here bathroom cupboard to get some deodorant so I can unfreeze the door. OMG... wolverine attack!"

Some of these were just downright silly (in a fun way).

Raoh

Was going to wait until later but the latest trailers have sold me. Pre ordered a physical copy from Amazon.

Chapter 2 spoiler...
Chris: "Oh I'll just open this here bathroom cupboard to get some deodorant so I can unfreeze the door. OMG... wolverine attack!"

Some of these were just downright silly (in a fun way).

That scared the HECK out of me. One of the five worst scares. Thank you for reminding me of that as I'm doing my second playthrough now.

11873413_10155929008950632_3727073538647358743_n.jpg

I will take MY control right away ;-)

Voorhees

It uses the Dualshock 4 entirely. It also uses the PS4 camera to record your jump scares if you want it to, which is cruel!

Starting my second playthrough now!

I bought a PS4 Camera off a fellow Gaffer for this specific reason. My wife and I are avid slasher movie aficionados and we're playing it together. Cannot wait.

Moreche

Someone is doing an AMA on PS4 reddit and they are saying it is very linear and that your choices don't change the outcome.

E the Shaggy

Late to the party but good God, that Gamestop trailer is amazing.

Think I'll still wait for a price drop on this tho considering Phantom Pain is right around the corner.

Moreche

The reddit quote,

Actually no, I don't want to give too much away, but a lot of the characters are safe up until a certain point in the game and even after killing a character off I still had a character who witnessed them die call out for them later on in the game

nib95

Banned
Someone is doing an AMA on PS4 reddit and they are saying it is very linear and that your choices don't change the outcome.

It's Reddit. I wouldn't pay too much heed. We already know the latter is completely false. Unless you've misconstrued what was said?

UberTag

It's Reddit. I wouldn't pay too much heed. We already know the latter is completely false. Unless you've misconstrued what was said?
Here is the Reddit thread in question... (it's somewhat spoilerish so consider that a warning)

I mean, you could make an argument that the overarching plot doesn't change even though you're clearly making pivotal decisions in determining who lives and who dies. That much is true.

But he's making assertions about what can and can't change based on a single playthrough and that's just being disingenuous. Of course, most of the reviews that will come out in less than 24 hours will largely be coming from the same (single playthrough) perspective.

He's also dead wrong about what the flash card Q&A with Dr. Hill alters in the game... because those changes do manifest themselves - albeit sometimes in subtle ways.

Top Bottom