• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn: New Trailer Lets You Take Control

sjay1994

I'm guessing that..
either the scene can be avoided altogether, or you can pick up an item earlier that will let you get free?

From the playthrough, the game seems like you are being moved on a specific path, then again the player was reacting to everything so I am wondering if simply not choosing to interact with something like in the tutorial section might have made it possible to avoid.

We aren't going to know the full scope of how choices work unless someone finds all the possibilities and makes a chart.

Does anyone know much about the extra chapter that is included in the Extended Edition? Like length, whether it adds anything meaningful to the story etc?

I'm just trying to decide whether it's worth an extra AU$20 or not : If it's something that will end up on the PSN as a $5 "level" I might just get the standard edition.

Standard Edition is $75 at Big W, and Extended is $94 at JB HiFi.

JB has the Extended Edition listed at $89 in their catalogue ($88 at Harvey Norman). I went in today to JB to pre-order it and asked them if it was going to be $94 or $89 and they said $89.

I'd rather take the Extended Edition over the Steelbook for $10 less. I want dem awesome skulls on the front. The Steelbook cover just looks boring to me.

sector4

JB has the Extended Edition listed at $89 in their catalogue ($88 at Harvey Norman). I went in today to JB to pre-order it and asked them if it was going to be $94 or $89 and they said $89.

I'd rather take the Extended Edition over the Steelbook for $10 less. I want dem awesome skulls on the front. The Steelbook cover just looks boring to me.
$89 isn't too bad, that makes it just $15 more than the standard at Big W. Same, I'd even take a regular case over a steelbook if it was the same price, I'm not the biggest fan of them.

AdaWong

Absolutely LOVING this.

The main 8 characters, from BEST to WORST in my opinon:

Jessica
Mike
Sam
Matt
Josh
Ashley
Chris

TRASH
DOG FECES
Emily

Emily is soooo fucking annoying.

Is the final episode out yet? Or are they already huge branches occurring since Episode 2/3? Else that seems a bit too early to say, a big branch for just one Episode or a huge decision that surely changes everything at the end of a Episode doesn't really mean much, because devs can always find a way to follow it up with nothing significant at all.

There have been huge branches from episode 2 onwards and they've been consistent in making sure all your choices matter and are reflected going forward. I'd say it's the evolution of the system had in place all those years ago. Each episode builds on the last, each episode gives more weight to your choices. There's very little superficial about your choices, virtually all of them matter.

From how someone reacts to you from one episode to the next if you don't help them to how picking up an item or not can change the entire the way an encounter plays out.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Absolutely LOVING this.

Jessica
Mike
Sam
Matt
Josh
Ashley
Chris

TRASH
DOG FECES
Emily

Is Emily the one who talks like a valley girl but is Asian? Lol

As a side note. Was playing the walking dead s2 tonight. Its still good but in the back of my head I was thinking this game would be amazing if it could look like until dawn...

vollsperrig

Neo Member
So, I just finished my very first playthrough yesterday. And I also managed to kill two characters off within two minutes towards the end.

For anyone who finished the game, there is still one thing that bothers me the most:

I wonder if there is any chance for Josh to get out of the situation alive and human? Since in my playthrough Sam found the diary of Josh's sister and told him the truth about what happened, he recognized her in the water and Wendigo-Hannah let him live. After the credits you can see him living in the mines as a Wendigo.

crimilde

Banned
This just in! Too bad I don't have a PS4 this week. -.- Sold it to a friend to get the MGSV LE. I hope it'll ship sooner that September 1st, 'cause I can't wait.

image.jpg

Shinjica

Finished the game yesterday. Great game, the story is pretty good and push you forward to see how will it end. Even the twist is not completely out of sense.

Like other say, the butterfly effect is good but is far away from a complete story change.

Some character has, in my opinion sadly, a plot armor in the first part of the game.

UberTag

Absolutely LOVING this.

Jessica
Mike
Sam
Matt
Josh
Ashley
Chris

TRASH
DOG FECES
Emily

I approve of your Jessica ranking.
Although I don't believe it will make a huge difference, Em's characterization is clearly hindered by the fact that her early game development was trimmed to boost preorders.

Is Emily the one who talks like a valley girl but is Asian? Lol
You make that sound like a unique thing. Everyone talks like valley girls in 2015. It hurts my head.

Incidentally, if I was going to compare Emily to any character it would Veronica of Archie comics. Sam is the Betty. Audrey is Willow from Buffy the Vampire. And Jessica is... perpetually horny.

Which one is Ward from Agent of Shield?
That would be Mike.

Until Dawn trophy list
[SPOILERS]
[SPOILERS]
[SPOILERS]
[SPOILERS]
[SPOILERS]
[SPOILERS]
[SPOILERS]
[SPOILERS]
[SPOILERS]
[SPOILERS]

http://psnprofiles.com/trophies/3804-Until-Dawn
At an initial glance, it looks like these could be all be collected within two playthroughs. The collectibles make it tricky as some may not be accessible unless you make certain decisions. And realistically nobody is getting the Platinum in two runs without a walkthrough. But being able to jump to individual chapters should make cleanup a breeze.

I wonder if there is any chance for Josh to get out of the situation alive and human? Since in my playthrough Sam found the diary of Josh's sister and told him the truth about what happened, he recognized her in the water and Wendigo-Hannah let him live. After the credits you can see him living in the mines as a Wendigo.
I don't believe there is. I mean, you sort of need that angle to play out for the obligatory post-credits horror movie teaser and who are we to judge whether that's a good or bad end for Josh. Personally, I think he's much happier this way. He gets reunited with his sister that he was clearly super attached to. He doesn't have to see his imaginary shrink any more. He gets plenty of fresh food and can hang out on his family's mountain all year instead of just during winter break. Seems like a good life to me.

Yeah. It's not that long. It gives more insights to two characters that are mostly in the background. They really seem to be added there just for the pre-order bonus. They are tied to the story though.

Thanks.

Hmm, not sure what to do. Get the EE or stick with the standard and hope they release the additional scene as DLC at some point.

Conduit

Banned
Little edit :

In the falconkick review there is no score, but nonetheless, reviewer said that game is a masterpiece. Btw. i just copy/pasted this from N4G.

Question: are all of the characters of equal importance? Because the casting of the cheerleader and Ward makes me think otherwise.

I'd say not quite but most play a significant part. Also I'm shy two totems. I've got all the other collectibles minus about 7 from one group of them and no idea how/where to get them. I was combing the environments pretty well too.

Anyways, I'll be at work when my video review drops so if anyone want to post it for me when it goes live at 8 am PST in the review thread, would be most appreciated. Channel is slasherjpc. My job removed logging in access to GAF :/ *grumble grumble

Vaga

I would keep expectations in check people, it's a very good game however 10/10 is kinda far fetched.

8-8.5 is a more realistic approach.

I would keep expectations in check people, it's a very good game however 10/10 is kinda far fetched.

One man's trash is other man's gem. UD is exeptionaly well written and acted game. Obviously there's people who think these kind of games aren't really games at all. Like I said in one of my posts: many will consider this as their GOTY.

deoee

Why have I never heard of this game?
What kind of sorcery is this?

It looks superb I wonder if the chars are stereotypes :D

Elandyll

Banned

I think most people were originally expecting the game to review poorly due to being "niche" (seemingly an 80's slasher movie choose your path) and mostly QTE based, somewhere around 5/6's.
Then due to early impressions I think expectations on reviews are now more in the 7/8's, which imo would be great due to the game's (apparent) nature.

Still itching to pull the trigger on ordering... Might have to convince the wife (tight budget this month).

Top Bottom