• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn: New Trailer Lets You Take Control

Vaga

Done my 1st playthrough and fucking hell, did I just kill 5 characters in the last hour? So damn close lol.

Dinjooh

I was listening to one of the released tracks from the game's soundtrack and I noticed something. It was clearly unintentional, but at :45 in, the underlying melody is the exact same melody from John Williams' score for Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Store. It's the Voldemort theme (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVwzUax6TMM), just sped up.

https://youtu.be/OBKsK0OkCmc?t=45s

Reminds me of watching South Park and constantly hearing Heroes 3 sound effects.

Never did find out if there was any truth to it or if I'm just going mental.

Even if some choices don't have weight on who lives or dies right away, at least have impact on the group dynamic. For example, I'm my first playthrough on chapter 6 (seriously, don't read if you didn't played the game yet)...

I gave the flare gun to Matt (he uses the gun right away), and I tried to save Emily twice, resulting on Matt's death.

Later on, Emily was bitten because she didn't have a gun to defend herself, and Mike almost killed her in panic. This resulted in tension between Emily, Matt and Ashley (she wanted Mike to kill Emily).

But in the second playthrough...

Emily kept the flare gun and Matt jumped to safety. He didn't died.

Later on, Emily had a gun to defend herself and didnt't suffered any injury. Because of that, Mike didn't tryed to kill her and the group remained calm and united.

I finished the first playthrough with 5 survivors and now I'm trying to complete the game with all alive.

Even if some choices don't have weight on who lives or dies right away, at least have impact on the group dynamic. For example, I'm my first playthrough on chapter 6 (seriously, don't read if you didn't played the game yet)...

I gave the flare gun to Matt (he uses the gun right away), and I tried to save Emily twice, resulting on Matt's death.

Later on, Emily was bitten because she didn't have a gun to defend herself, and Mike almost killed her in panic. This resulted in tension between Emily, Matt and Ashley (she wanted Mike to kill Emily).

Later on, Emily had a gun to defend herself and didnt't suffered any injury. Because of that, Mike didn't tryed to kill her and the group remained calm and united.

I finished the first playthrough with 5 survivors and now I'm trying to complete the game with all alive.

in my second playthrough, Matt had the flare gun, then I tried to save Emily, things went south, suddenly Matt got dragged away, remember he had the flare gun and let me fire it.

Seems there is lots of little variations. It's pretty rad.

Vaga

Kept the flare gun as Emily then Matt got caught and died because he didn't have the gun to defend himself.

I like reading the impressions from people who've already played the game, but I hope this isn't going to be a similar case to The Order, where all the folks who obtained early copies and praised it to high heaven turned out to be batshit insane.

I like reading the impressions from people who've already played the game, but I hope this isn't going to be a similar case to The Order, where all the folks who obtained early copies and praised it to high heaven turned out to be batshit insane.

Not the case here. I think The Order is decentish game, not anything great but worth a single playthrough (not worth the full price though). I'd like to see more polished sequel as the setting is wonderful.

That's largely by design. The game likes to make you think you're doing well... and then the proverbial shit hits the fan.
Its also much easier from a dev standpoint to have the most deaths be possible towards the end, similar to Heavy Rain. Plus it guarantees a 5-6 hour playtime at the minimum I would guess, which is probably mandatory to not piss people off.

That's selling Life is Strange short. The choices have even more impact on how the story plays out than Heavy Rain.
Is the final episode out yet? Or are they already huge branches occurring since Episode 2/3? Else that seems a bit too early to say, a big branch for just one Episode or a huge decision that surely changes everything at the end of a Episode doesn't really mean much, because devs can always find a way to follow it up with nothing significant at all.

UberTag

Its also much easier from a dev standpoint to have the most deaths be possible towards the end, similar to Heavy Rain. Plus it guarantees a 5-6 hour playtime at the minimum I would guess, which is probably mandatory to not piss people off.
Naturally. If you could kill off all of your characters in the first couple hours it wouldn't be much of a game.
The unfortunate side effect of this is that some characters have substantially more plot armor than others as a result.

Naturally. If you could kill off all of your characters in the first couple hours it wouldn't be much of a game.
The unfortunate side effect of this is that some characters have substantially more plot armor than others as a result.
Yep, about what I expected. There really isnt a cost effective way yet to prevent that kind of scenario, unless you want players to have the option to end the game after 30 minutes with no plot at all. Something like the butterfly effect, where early decisions only come back to you much later seems like the best solution yet to give your choices impact while preserving a game core with some "fake choices".

Do we have a list of the characters? I have 2-3 friends who will likely play it with me and we want to choose different characters to control when we play together.

Elitist1945

Dont think it has motion controls no one mention it.

There's traditional and motion for the game. Motion would be along the lines of "point the controller to the choice", or "hold controller still to not get caught". Or at least thats what I picked up from the previews.

sector4

Does anyone know much about the extra chapter that is included in the Extended Edition? Like length, whether it adds anything meaningful to the story etc?

I'm just trying to decide whether it's worth an extra AU$20 or not :\ If it's something that will end up on the PSN as a $5 "level" I might just get the standard edition.

Standard Edition is $75 at Big W, and Extended is $94 at JB HiFi.

Dinjooh

Does anyone know much about the extra chapter that is included in the Extended Edition? Like length, whether it adds anything meaningful to the story etc?

I'm just trying to decide whether it's worth an extra AU$20 or not :\ If it's something that will end up on the PSN as a $5 "level" I might just get the standard edition.

Standard Edition is $75 at Big W, and Extended is $94 at JB HiFi.

But the Steelbook is available in Australia..

i7S4hPn.jpg

Look at that beauty!

I don't know much about the chapter, could only find this description:

Until Dawn Extended Edition includes a Bonus DLC Chapter! This special bonus chapter sees Matt and Emily, a new couple, out on the mountain – but it’s not long until they start to suspect they aren’t alone…

sector4

But the Steelbook is available in Australia..

Look at that beauty!

I don't know much about the chapter, could only find this description:
Yeah, it actually looks really nice hey? I usually just go for the standard blue case though for uniformity with the rest of my collection (especially when there's a $30 price gap, steelbook is $99.95). Thanks for the help though Dinjooh, that was all I could find as well, it doesn't really say too much about it unfortunately.

sjay1994

So, I've been watching a playthrough of this, (canadian new game prices are murder, so I will pick this up later and play it for myself)

But there is one scene I've seen and I am questioning how the player can possibly avoid it.

I think its around chapter 4, where the psycho captures Ashley and Josh, and Chris has to choose who lives and who dies

I am trying to figure out what this person could have done to avoid this event.

Dinjooh

So, I've been watching a playthrough of this, (canadian new game prices are murder, so I will pick this up later and play it for myself)

But there is one scene I've seen and I am questioning how the player can possibly avoid it.

I think its around chapter 4, where the psycho captures Ashley and Josh, and Chris has to choose who lives and who dies

I am trying to figure out what this person could have done to avoid this event.

I'm guessing that..
either the scene can be avoided altogether, or you can pick up an item earlier that will let you get free?

Top Bottom