• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn - Review Thread

Lime

I'm genuinely surprised the user metacritic for this game is in the green. Typically games like these are blasted for trying to be movies, especially when they ask for full retail price.

But I've seen two playthroughs of this game, and its great. The story is really well told.

You could argue that Heavy Rain and The Walking Dead did a lot of good for these types of games.

VICE review (didn't see it in OP):

http://www.vice.com/read/sonys-schlocky-slasher-game-until-dawn-is-a-new-horror-classic-755

"The Schlocky Slasher Game 'Until Dawn' is actually a new horror classic"

.. i really want to play this but with MGS coming in a couple days I think I'll be waiting for a price drop, which kind of makes me feel like a dick in this case, but whatever.

It's a short game, but I felt it was worth the $60. Especially since I'm going to go back in and try different things. I think it's a good way to kill some time until Tuesday.

Loudninja

Impulsegamer 4.7/5
Until Dawn may have gone through some development problems and lengthy delays but after completing this title twice, I can safely say that the wait was worth it. It’s also one of those games that heavily focuses on storytelling and even though the gamplay does take a back seat, the interactive plot is equally as satisfying. All in all, Until Dawn puts the player into the world the unknown which makes your choices a very hard chore that will leave you with mixed emotions when you “think” you’ve made the wrong decision. Until Dawn is the perfect interactive medium on the PlayStation 4 that succeeds at drawing you into your own personal horror story.
http://www.impulsegamer.com/until-dawn-review/

Maddanth

I'm genuinely surprised the user metacritic for this game is in the green. Typically games like these are blasted for trying to be movies, especially when they ask for full retail price.

But I've seen two playthroughs of this game, and its great. The story is really well told.
Ya that's what I love about it, the story is really well told, about to do my second play through. Really surprised at how much i enjoyed this game.

dracula_x

Will these affect meta? It's teetering on 79 and I'd really like it see it hit an 80. Trivial I know but I think it deserves it.

just noticed, it's 80 at Metacritic now

Hg09ABU.png

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/until-dawn

Doesn't matter really. Word of mouth is really good, people buying it in the stores because others have recommended it. Look at the user score, it's pretty good ;)

Sony should sign Super massive up for another game right away. They have proven they are solid studio when given proper resources. I wonder of they go horror again or pick another genre. And make it another movie game as we don't have enough of these.

Sony should sign Super massive up for another game right away. They have proven they are solid studio when given proper resources. I wonder of they go horror again or pick another genre. And make it another movie game as we don't have enough of these.

I settled on them tackling a different horror sub genre. If UD was slasher, than UD2 could tackle Asian Horror tropes.

I would be happy to jump into 6 hours of....

Pvo3dxC.jpg

That!

Replicant

NOPE.

That'd genuinely terrify me. The Sadako/Samara kind of horror is my achilles heel. Fuck, I'd lose my cool card and end up screaming like a ten year girl for real.

Wish it would stay at 80. Seems trivial, but there is something symbolic about it and I genuinely believe this dev deserves as much credit as possible for creating a fantastic game that will help move this genre forward.

As for Supermassive, Sony should put a ring on it.

I mean, if we wanna split hairs, it's not like the 80 really matters at this point in it's life. I feel like most of the people who are interested, but haven't picked it up yet, aren't waiting because of Metacritic. They're probably on a budget and are holding out for the seasonal sales or price drops.

This game is still giveing me sleeper-hit vibes, so hopefully it does well in the sales charts. I wouldn't mind seeing Sony leapfrog between Supermassive and Quantic Dream this generation.

spekkeh

Banned
What often bugs me with scores of such story heavy cinematic games is that they get scored like films; or rather, that all other games aren't. A seven to eight I think is a perfectly fine score, it's a well acted and pretty innovative indie slasher, but there are a number of remarks to be made about the story and the cliches. Not quite the level of Cabin in the Woods, but with the interactivity you can see it score three or four stars.
The problem with more regular games is that they lack a benchmark of a hundred year of film criticism (by often actual critics instead of hobbyist reviewers), and so the reviews trend to their own game score benchmark which is heavily inflated to the point a 79 means avoid. And so emotionally moving games such as The Walking Dead score in the seventies but then end up as people's GOTY. Doesn't make sense, and I'm afraid impacts sales.

But what am I complaining about, I pretty much go to Eurogamer and nothing else partially because of this. If you don't know what your own scores mean, stop giving them.

FelipeMGM

Back to 79 now :(

Wish it would stay at 80. Seems trivial, but there is something symbolic about it and I genuinely believe this dev deserves as much credit as possible for creating a fantastic game that will help move this genre forward.

Hell yeah they should. Still a small studio, just go and make a big deal with them

Yoshida has posted and tweeted a lot about UD since it's release. And that's the guy you want to impress most as a dev.

Imagine if Supermassive Games is bought by Sony before Quantic Dream.

Well, they'd definitely be much cheaper. On the other hand, QD has a motion capture studio that's an extra source of income for them since a lot of French-based companies use it whenever they're doing motion or performance capture.

Memento

Well, they'd definitely be much cheaper. On the other hand, QD has a motion capture studio that's an extra source of income for them since a lot of French-based companies use it whenever they're doing motion or performance capture.

Yeah. There was also an interview with some high position dude of Quantic Dream (maybe it was David Cage, I honestly dont remember) in which he said the studio had a really good relationship with Sony and they were positive about Sony acquiring the studio. I think it was an IGN interview idk.

This game is dope. I would have enjoyed the story well enough in movie form, but it's a bit of breakthrough in videogame form.

I have to say, the costume design was on point. No weird costumes with a missing sleeve because it is a videogame, but also not too generic.

I redboxed it and did it in a day, but I was glued. Worth the price if you are a slasher fan that rewatches your favorites annually. Please follow this template of you have little to offer in the way of gameplay systems. Hopefully it's something that can be sustained in the industry, like telltale (clearly I didn't contribute much, but I would consider it a year from now around Halloween).

Yeah. There was also an interview with some high position dude of Quantic Dream (maybe it was David Cage, I honestly dont remember) in which he said the studio had a really good relationship with Sony and they were positive about Sony acquiring the studio. I think it was an IGN interview idk.

I think both Guillaume and David have said they'd be up to being acquired by Sony. But with Supermassive I just hope that Sony continues to work with them like they have with QD. The reception as a whole to UD seems super positive. Reviews are high, pretty much everyone that plays it loves it, and it seems to be selling well on all European charts.

I don't know if it would work so well. The scariest things about most Asian horror movies is that you're fucked.

I'd say another factor with Asian horror is that they tend to be psychological based. So there's a lot of world and tension building through essentially nothing happening aside from a really heavy atmosphere. Something like Ringu takes a long time to build up to a point where shit really starts to go crazy. Silent Hill edges toward that direction, particularly SH2 where things are much slower to really reveal itself. So it could work, but it'd obviously be a very different flavor compared to UD. The hard part would be keeping the "fun factor" that UD has because the style change would be drastic.

Alebrije

PS4 library got a push with Until Down. Looks like the kind of game the will be free on Plus on a few years.

Do not know if I can wait.

MrHoot

I settled on them tackling a different horror sub genre. If UD was slasher, than UD2 could tackle Asian Horror tropes.

I would be happy to jump into 6 hours of....

Pvo3dxC.jpg

That!

A "sequel" (or like, just another story with different characters but same mechanics) that deals with the supernatural and ghosties would be freaking amazing for me, as i'm more of a fan of that genre. Especially japanese horror, although that it really hard to nail for western devs. I wonder if the writers of UD1 would be up for it too

I don't know if it would work so well. The scariest things about most Asian horror movies is that you're fucked.

If we're going by grudge rules, yep. Kayako is OP, pls nerf etc. But it would still be super funny

nib95

Banned
7/10 from Edge is like 9/10 from IGN, seriously that's a good score from Edge to a game like this, too bad it does gonna hurt the nice 8 even though that 7 is like an 8+ in most sites...

IGN hasn't actually reviewed that generously in some of their reviews lately. Many of their scores have been close to the meta average, or even below in some cases.

Tearway Unfolded - 7.6 (meta avg 83)
Mario Maker - 9.0 (meta avg 89)
Until Dawn - 7.5 (meta avg 80)
Forza 6 - 9.0 (meta avg 88)
Metal Gear Solid V - 10 (meta avg 94)
Mad Max - 8.5 (meta avg 69)
Galak-Z - 8.3 (meta avg 82)
Rocket League - 8.0 (meta avg 85)
Everybody's Gone to Rapture - 8.5 (meta avg 78)

So... Until Dawn 2 a certainty? How weird that it did much better than The Order: 1886 in the end. I was honestly expecting it to bomb.

spekkeh

Banned
So... Until Dawn 2 a certainty? How weird that it did much better than The Order: 1886 in the end. I was honestly expecting it to bomb.
What makes you think that? Until dawn has a star studded cast and was in development hell for a pretty long time. It's doing okay but not setting the charts on fire so I would be surprised if it did turn a profit. I'm just hoping that Sony is confident/farsighted enough that now that the creases are ironed out, and personally I think this is the best looking game yet, so they can reuse the engine for quite some time, that more games in this style are a good value proposition.

Top Bottom