• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upcoming Vita Games (200+ Upcoming games in ENGLISH) || 2016 Edition ||

What about European releases? I mean, for localized Japanese titles. There's DBZ: BoZ, NLKS, SAO:HR, GE2RB, what else?

Not much. Most Euro exclusives are literally only released in Europe. A couple of franchise games, some niche sports games, stuff like Teslagrad and Space Hulk, ...

As for Japanese titles, there's just J-Stars Victory Vs+ and One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 next to the ones you listed, I think.

Shizuka

Not much. Most Euro exclusives are literally only released in Europe. A couple of franchise games, some niche sports games, stuff like Teslagrad and Space Hulk, ...

As for Japanese titles, there's just J-Stars Victory Vs+ and One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 next to the ones you listed, I think.

Oh, and there's the latest One Piece title as well.

HotHamBoy

There's a bunch of games from this year I am interested in and haven't picked up yet. These are the games I'm not sure about and was hoping for some thoughts on:

Grand Kingdom - Battle system seems really cool in the demo but not sure about everything else

Stranger of Sword City

Dragon Quest Builders - This is a buy, just haven't decided if I want the Vita or PS4 version. I tried the demo but it's quite blurry and the draw distance sucks. At the same time, this seems like a perfect game for a handheld. And it's cheaper.

World of Final Fantasy

Mystery Chronicle: One Way Heroics - Big MD/ChunSoft fan but is this up there with the best?

Alone With You

Adventures of Mana - Never played the GB original, this looks cute

And I still need to get Odin Sphere, Mark of the Wolves, Steamworld Heist, Axiom Verge, EDF 2... aye aye aye. Despite all that, I still managed to buy a shitload of Vita games this year.

Best dead system ever.

There's a bunch of games from this year I am interested in and haven't picked up yet. These are the games I'm not sure about and was hoping for some thoughts on:

Stranger of Sword City

I'd say this one is my #2 drpg, a bit of a ways behind Dungeon Travelers. I would recommend it if you like the rest of Experience's catalog and are fine with trial and error at times, as it's probably the hardest one of their games that we've gotten.

The main issue I have with it though was how pointless the life point/perma-death system was, as reloading a save is better than trying to raise a new character. It has quite a few bullshit one shot abilities late in the game that you have to prepare for right at the start of the fight or else you may as well reload as half your party gets wiped out. The other issue is a problem I have with Experience games in general where the vast majority of random encounters have no weight to them and can be auto battled through in seconds. That and there's only a dozen or so bosses that posed any threat, while the rest would die within a small amount of turns due to how overpowered combo abilities are in these games.

HotHamBoy

I'd say this one is my #2 drpg, a bit of a ways behind Dungeon Travelers. I would recommend it if you like the rest of Experience's catalog and are fine with trial and error at times, as it's probably the hardest one of their games that we've gotten.

The main issue I have with it though was how pointless the life point/perma-death system was, as reloading a save is better than trying to raise a new character. It has quite a few bullshit one shot abilities late in the game that you have to prepare for right at the start of the fight or else you may as well reload as half your party gets wiped out. The other issue is a problem I have with Experience games in general where the vast majority of random encounters have no weight to them and can be auto battled through in seconds. That and there's only a dozen or so bosses that posed any threat, while the rest would die within a small amount of turns due to how overpowered combo abilities are in these games.

I already have DT2.... maybe I'll just skip it, I'm holding out for a sale on SMTIV-A, too.

Shizuka

Is it funny that one of the 2017 releases I'm excited the most is Super Robot Wars V? It's the first official localization for a mainline Super Robot Wars title, on the Vita no less!

Takao

Banned
rJbRwgq.jpg

L1VSLla.jpg

LcI4Xbb.jpg

ZXfmkqw.jpg

tMAAO6z.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a_ja6dzJIk

CazTGG

Grand Kingdom - Battle system seems really cool in the demo but not sure about everything else

Stranger of Sword City

Dragon Quest Builders - This is a buy, just haven't decided if I want the Vita or PS4 version. I tried the demo but it's quite blurry and the draw distance sucks. At the same time, this seems like a perfect game for a handheld. And it's cheaper.

World of Final Fantasy

Mystery Chronicle: One Way Heroics - Big MD/ChunSoft fan but is this up there with the best?

Alone With You

Adventures of Mana - Never played the GB original, this looks cute

And I still need to get Odin Sphere, Mark of the Wolves, Steamworld Heist, Axiom Verge, EDF 2... aye aye aye. Despite all that, I still managed to buy a shitload of Vita games this year.

Best dead system ever.

World of Final Fantasy: An interesting combat system wrapped around a tale that doesn't so much as drag as it never starts. With fan service that's surface-level at best and characters who lack any sort of debt, WoFF is a hard recommendation regardless of how much you enjoy Final Fantasy. If you enjoy the demo it might be worth your time, otherwise you should wait for a sale.

Adventures of Mana: An abysmal coat of paint for a title whose age and limitations can't help but show on a system with so many more worthwhile RPGs. Unless this is your only option to play the first Mana game in the series, you can safely skip this one.

Alone With You: See review

So, I don't know if this was common knowledge and I just completely missed it, but I thought I'd share what I discovered about SD Gundam today.

So y'know it's a dual-cart release? I thought that was like the old days, where you got up to x point in the game then had to switch to the next one, like Final Fantasy VII for example.

Nope, nothing like that. The second cart is basically just a glorified download voucher. You insert it and it spends like half an hour 'installing', during which it adds 3.1GB of data from the game application which was installed from the first cart.

If you try booting without the install, the game boots but simply says "Necessary data has not been installed". So you can't play at all without the install.

There's also already a 15MB patch and judging by the DLC schedule included in the release, I'm assuming there will be many more.

What a bummer. I mean, on the plus side, it means this game will be playable long after Sony's Vita servers go down, which is good. I just find it a bit disingenuous that this is called a dual-cart release but it's basically a single-cart release with an install. A 3GB install.

As much as I love Bamco for being prompt with their Asian-English releases, between this and Gundam Breaker 3's 1.8GB of patches, I'm getting a bit tired of them taking up most of my memory :p

So, I don't know if this was common knowledge and I just completely missed it, but I thought I'd share what I discovered about SD Gundam today.

So y'know it's a dual-cart release? I thought that was like the old days, where you got up to x point in the game then had to switch to the next one, like Final Fantasy VII for example.

Nope, nothing like that. The second cart is basically just a glorified download voucher. You insert it and it spends like half an hour 'installing', during which it adds 3.1GB of data from the game application which was installed from the first cart.

If you try booting without the install, the game boots but simply says "Necessary data has not been installed". So you can't play at all without the install.

There's also already a 15MB patch and judging by the DLC schedule included in the release, I'm assuming there will be many more.

What a bummer. I mean, on the plus side, it means this game will be playable long after Sony's Vita servers go down, which is good. I just find it a bit disingenuous that this is called a dual-cart release but it's basically a single-cart release with a download. A 3GB download.

As much as I love Bamco for being prompt with their Asian-English releases, between this and Gundam Breaker 3's 1.8GB of patches, I'm getting a bit tired of them taking up most of my memory :p

Wait you need to download 3.1GB? Fuck that

Guys, is it just me or the Vita version of World of Final Fantasy seems to be nearly out of stock across the UK? I guess S-E didn't ship that many copies?

It's in stock at 2 of the 5 online retailers I use, there's a copy in my local Grainger Games too.

Not the best stock situation, but I've seen worse (any Bamco game after about 6 months).

kresnik pls. You almost made me not want to buy it. Installs from cart is what I thought would happen.

Sorry :p (although to be fair, I thought the "will be playable long after Sony's Vita servers go down" paragraph would've given the game away since downloads are tied to servers?)

edit: Ohhhh I see. I put "download" instead of "install" at the bottom. My bad. This flu is knocking me for 6. Sorry!

Still, I'm seriously the only one who was expecting to be able to play it across two carts and not have effectively a patch in physical format? Meh.

Saphirax

Sorry :p (although to be fair, I thought the "will be playable long after Sony's Vita servers go down" paragraph would've given the game away since downloads are tied to servers?)

edit: Ohhhh I see. I put "download" instead of "install" at the bottom. My bad. This flu is knocking me for 6. Sorry!

Still, I'm seriously the only one who was expecting to be able to play it across two carts and not have effectively a patch in physical format? Meh.

That'd be a lot of cart switching if you wanted to replay earlier stages though. Would be quite a hassle.

redcrayon

This matches up to my thoughts on Stranger of Sword City too. I really enjoyed it but if you've played any Experience games before, a lot of it seems formulaic- it seemed weird that my party setup from Operation Abyss translated pretty well to SoSS. It suffers from the same issue of a lack of abilities for physical characters compared to magical ones, tending to be 'power up', 'hit lots of people' or 'hit one person really hard', as opposed to a lengthy spell list.

However, I found the serried ranks of enemies in SoSS made for tactical play in boss fights in managing where they were to reduce damage. Also, the world was interesting- 'strangers' are stranded refugees from our world, and are stronger than regular people there. I thought that was a really interesting concept, as we're several later developments regarding the nature of the butterflys that are the game's recurring symbol.

Agree that permadeath felt a bit pointless- much quicker to reload, and also takes a long time to heal life points. Having more than two life points felt pointless as as soon as they Ipst one I hospitalised them. I feel that they should have doubled down on perma death rather than offer tedious ways around it, or make replaying a section more appealing than carrying on. However, it was good that reserve units gained XP, and having life points actually made characters that fell in rough boss fights feel like they had really suffered as they spent time in hospital afterwards- I really liked that.

All in all one of my favourite games this year, but I'd love to see Experience shake up their parties with more options for physical attackers than the Knight, Fighter, Archer and Samurai archetypes get at the moment.

redcrayon

Nobody is missing anything with Space Hulk, it's a really poor port. Navigation of the interface has done nothing to account for the fact that it's a grid-based game on a device that has a perfect input for it (d-pad), and the text suffers from a common PC-Vita downfall of being too small. It's an awesome board game, I would have been happy with having a top-down mode rather than trying to replicate the mouse-based interface, but it's obviously a quick-and-dirty port.

redcrayon

World of Final Fantasy: An interesting combat system wrapped around a tale that doesn't so much as drag as it never starts. With fan service that's surface-level at best and characters who lack any sort of debt, WoFF is a hard recommendation regardless of how much you enjoy Final Fantasy. If you enjoy the demo it might be worth your time, otherwise you should wait for a sale.

Adventures of Mana: An abysmal coat of paint for a title whose age and limitations can't help but show on a system with so many more worthwhile RPGs. Unless this is your only option to play the first Mana game in the series, you can safely skip this one.

Alone With You: See review
I loved Adventures of Mana but I'm happy to admit that as a long-time fan of the GameBoy game my opinion is probably pretty biased, not sure what I'd make of it if I encountered it anew. Swapping weapons for traversal felt a little too arduous these days (although you do have quick-key options), I would have
been nice to be able to cycle through all the items that break rocks/cut trees with a tap of a shoulder button etc. Music is still awesome.

That'd be a lot of cart switching if you wanted to replay earlier stages though. Would be quite a hassle.

Honestly, I like that method better than to keep switching between carts everytime I need to access a previous area.

I can't really remember the last time I replayed early stages in a Gundam game (aside from grinding to get past a boss, which I presume would be on the same cart), but okay. Guess I'm in the minority on this one!

I guess my only experience of switching discs was the FF games on PS1 and you could always access previous areas in those on the new disc. How did Trails in the Sky SC handle it, out of interest?

Saphirax

I can't really remember the last time I replayed early stages in a Gundam game (aside from grinding to get past a boss, which I presume would be on the same cart), but okay. Guess I'm in the minority on this one!

I guess my only experience of switching discs was the FF games on PS1 and you could always access previous areas in those on the new disc. How did Trails in the Sky SC handle it, out of interest?

I recall there being a jrpg either on ps2 or the original xbox and when you'd get to the post game if you wanted to enter one of the early game towns it'd ask you to insert the first cd. So basically post game was on one cd, while the rest of the game was on another. Doesn't work so well with jrpgs with an overworld :p.

I recall there being a jrpg either on ps2 or the original xbox and when you'd get to the post game if you wanted to enter one of the early game towns it'd ask you to insert the first cd. So basically post game was on one cd, while the rest of the game was on another. Doesn't work so well with jrpgs with an overworld :p.

That's what I mean though, you could always get on the overworld in FF VII - IX on PS1 (except disk 4 of VIII iirc). Sure some areas were blocked off, but that's story related.

Thought it would've been even easier with a mission-based game (i.e. after a certain point you switch), but I guess not.

At the very least, I can delete the game and reinstall in 20 years from now (as long as my Vita & memory card still works) so I suppose that's a blessing in this day and age of so much patching.

The collector God will forgive me, but I'm not backing that game.

Fair enough. Don't have to back 'em all.

I like the look of it, seems like Darkest Dungeon with an artstyle I prefer. Plus, they've been pretty front-and-centre with Vita (recently announced PSTV support) and Luc Bernard has shipped multiple games on the platform, so I have faith and backed.

HotHamBoy

World of FF seems like a pass, then. I know it won't align to my tastes. I was already pretty put off by the art direction.

Stranger of Sword City still seems interesting to me. I've never played an Experience game before. Part of me wonders if I'm just being seduced by the gorgeous art, though.

Still tempted by Adventures of Mana. I guess I'll wait for a sale, even though it's already very cheap.

I hope I'm wrong too. It sounds neat from everything I've heard about it. Closest we'll get to a Deus Ex game on Vita at the moment too :p (until Deus Ex Go releases at PSX '17 :p)

Would not recommend Deus ex go at full price. It's the least content and fun of the three go games.

There are trophies for some games i have never heard of, there are vita trophies for stardew valley too, it wasn't announced for vita right?

Dev said they were looking into it.

There are English trophies for Uppers and Net High too, but nothing's come of that, at least not yet.

RK128

http://gematsu.com/2016/12/final-fantasy-30th-anniversary-plans-announced-soon

FF 30th anniversary announcements coming soon. Let's hope that Vita rumor was true.

Also Xenoraid coming to Vita in January:

http://www.iplaypsvita.com/2016/12/...aid-coming-to-the-ps-vita-on-january-10-2017/

I highly, highly doubt the collection is happening (more so with recent news surrounding DQ Heroes II skipping the western release on Vita) but I do think we will see FFVIII and FFIX remastered ports on Vita. Stuff DID leak about FFIX releasing on Vita after all........

I highly, highly doubt the collection is happening (more so with recent news surrounding DQ Heroes II skipping the western release on Vita) but I do think we will see FFVIII and FFIX remastered ports on Vita. Stuff DID leak about FFIX releasing on Vita after all........

Doesn't necessarily have to release in the west, Squeenix are releasing Itadaki Street in Japan next year for Vita :p

Top Bottom