• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upcoming Vita Games (200+ Upcoming games in ENGLISH) || 2016 Edition ||

Anihawk has got me worried that NISA are going to end their Vita-only localizations soon, to see XSEED stop them as well would be really upsetting. I know the console isn't setting the world on fire with hardware sales in the west but I'd hoped the actual games have been selling well enough to justify bringing more stuff over.

People need to put their money where their mouth is. Anecdotally, I know a lot of people desperate for Vita localizations that wont buy anything until it goes on sale. I think people have started to take releases for granted.

18-Volt

Im in an even smaller minority that would Buy Xperia Play 2 in a heartbeat

All the things I want there is just no market for apparently

Im an old and angry soul

There actually IS a market for handhelds, 55 million 3ds say so, but publishers and developers won't bother. Handhelds are mere toys to them and always have been so. Many are currently focused on mature, so called "hardcore" stuff on high end platforms, so handhelds are just waste of time for them. Even there is a potential for a game to sell millions on handhelds, they won't bother at all.

I am still holding out a glimmer of hope for Luminous Arc Infinity; bad enough I'm" never getting Phantasy Star Nova in English so I need something left to hold on to.

People need to put their money where their mouth is. Anecdotally, I know a lot of people desperate for Vita localizations that wont buy anything until it goes on sale. I think people have started to take releases for granted.

Not me, smaller localization/companies like XSEED are among the few whose games I always strive to pre-order/pay full price for. I can't do it every time (bills and personal needs take priority) but if they're localizing a game that interests me and I got money freed up, they typically get priority.

It's a sad start of the new year for the V and the way that blog post about Not a hero being cancelled really rubs me the wrong way. What's even more sad is that a developer that has released 2 games on the platform don't manage to make their game work on the Vita. IMO this either means that they don't care for the Vita anymore, or that the tools for making Vita games aren't good/easy enough to use.

This makes me a little worried for the future and I'm starting to feel that none of the smaller games in the OP of this thread is a given :/

Edit: I would have been more sad if Crypt of the Necrodancer was cancelled instead of NAH though.

Up to you to believe it or not

WUoTOV4.png

Well, to be honest my buying habits have changed completely since I got a Vita. I'm now much more likely to pre-order a retail game for many reasons:

1. To show support
2. Because I'm worried it'll be hard to find in a few months
3. Because I'm freaking excited to play a lot of upcoming games on Vita!

I mean looking back through my Shopto account in 2015, I got Nep Rebirth 2; Noire; Nep U; Steins;gate; DRAE Lost Dimension & SAO Lost Song day 1. To be fair I have skipped some stuff that I do intend to buy, but my budget is still (somewhat) limited.

Well, to be honest my buying habits have changed completely since I got a Vita. I'm now much more likely to pre-order a retail game for many reasons:

1. To show support
2. Because I'm worried it'll be hard to find in a few months
3. Because I'm freaking excited to play a lot of upcoming games on Vita!

I mean looking back through my Shopto account in 2015, I got Nep Rebirth 2; Noire; Nep U; Steins;gate; DRAE Lost Dimension & SAO Lost Song day 1. To be fair I have skipped some stuff that I do intend to buy, but my budget is still (somewhat) limited.

Same for me actually. I used to be a super cheap ass and waited for everything to go on sale on Steam or PSN. These days, I pre-order pretty much any halfway decent retail Vita game.

Fdkn

Handhelds (including mobile) should rule the world yet they are dying, losing the war against home consoles. I really don't want a future with only home consoles. I may have to quit my job for that kind of future.

Home consoles are not the ones fagociting the handheld market. Mobile is.

VLiberty

It's a sad start of the new year for the V and the way that blog post about Not a hero being cancelled really rubs me the wrong way. What's even more sad is that a developer that has released 2 games on the platform don't manage to make their game work on the Vita. IMO this either means that they don't care for the Vita anymore, or that the tools for making Vita games aren't good/easy enough to use.

This makes me a little worried for the future and I'm starting to feel that none of the smaller games in the OP of this thread is a given :/

Edit: I would have been more sad if Crypt of the Necrodancer was cancelled instead of NAH though.

Roll7 has nothing to do with the ports. They made the game on PC, then Devolver had the job to port the game on other platforms. Mp2 is the team handling the port.

Honestly I won't believe the technical hurdle issue. Not after you've canceled Broforce and announced nothing for the system in the past months.

18-Volt

Home consoles are not the ones fagociting the handheld market. Mobile is.

With what game exactly? No gamer would buy a phone or tablet to "play games" as there are almost no software that would attract core gamer. Mobile market always cater to casual crowd and Vita and 3DS's audience has nothing common with it. Gamers play games, non-gamers play non-games like Candy Crush Saga, Angry birds etc.

Whole "mobile killing handhelds" is a misinterpreted argument and 55 million 3DS sold is a solid proof of that. Mobile is killing no one as long as games made for it no different than Candy Crush Saga or Puzzle & Dragons. Mobile has been existed for more than 10 years and killed no one.

Fdkn

With what game exactly? No gamer would buy a phone or tablet to "play games" as there are almost no software that would attract core gamer. Mobile market always cater to casual crowd and Vita and 3DS's audience has nothing common with it. Gamers play games, non-gamers play non-games like Candy Crush Saga, Angry birds etc.

Whole "mobile killing handhelds" is a misinterpreted argument and 55 million 3DS sold is a solid proof of that. Mobile is killing no one as long as games made for it no different than Candy Crush Saga or Puzzle & Dragons. Mobile has been existed for more than 10 years and killed no one.

This is not the thread for this, but exactly, 55Million 3ds and +10million vitas is the proof that mobile is killing handhelds when they come from a 150million NDS and 80 million PSP, because handheld market has always heavily relied upon casuals and kids and mobile is taking the bigger chunk of them nowadays.

Roll7 has nothing to do with the ports. They made the game on PC, then Devolver had the job to port the game on other platforms. Mp2 is the team handling the port.

Honestly I won't believe the technical hurdle issue. Not after you've canceled Broforce and announced nothing for the system in the past months.

I see, who did the Vita version of olliolli 2?

I'm willing to forgive them as long as they release Ronin and that Soul something game.

They did announce and release the hatoful DLC though.

incpdo

The fact devolver digital is saying "more games" + "this year" , means more than One game so minimum 2 new games from them. So that's not a losing situation at all.

18-Volt

This is not the thread for this, but exactly, 55Million 3ds and +10million vitas is the proof that mobile is killing handhelds when they come from a 150million NDS and 80 million PSP, because handheld market has always heavily relied upon casuals and kids and mobile is taking the bigger chunk of them nowadays.

That's completely false. Main target demographic of PSP was mostly consisted of Playstation core fans and Japanese gaming fans (otakus) between ages 13 - 25. PSP had nothing to offer to casuals and no PSP owner migrated to phones after the system's lifetime ended. What can you even play on phones after you have played stuff like Persona, Dissidia, God of War on PSP, for heavens sake?

People migrated from PSP and DS but not to mobile platforms. Steam and home consoles stealing audience for some time now and developers prefer making games for high end systems because of ease of development. FF15, Final Fantasy Type-0, Persona 5, Kingdom Hearts, Dragon Quest 11 everything a handheld owner could want is on PS4.

What you said about is true for 3ds though. DS has completely lost its casual crowd and that hurt it severely. But losing western 3rd party support is not related to casual migration, western developers cancelled their project before even system launched. I'm still sour about Assassin's Creed, Saints Row and DJ hero.

The fact devolver digital is saying "more games" + "this year" , means more than One game so minimum 2 new games from them. So that's not a losing situation at all.

I'm praying for a Eitr port!

Well, one is Crossing Souls since they already announced it (unless that gets canned too) and the other is Downwell since I think they tweeted that running on Vita.

Of course there could be more, but there's two games. Big whoop :p

18-Volt

We kinda knew this already, but maybe send them a tweet asking for the Vita version? The decision to not release it in the west makes no sense to me.

They are not responsive.

I think it's a lost cause, we should focus on more important titles like Vita versions Setsuna or DQ Builders. If no PS3 version for DQH is any indication those are in danger too.

They are not responsive.

I think it's a lost cause, we should focus on more important titles like Vita versions Setsuna or DQ Builders. If no PS3 version for DQH is any indication those are in danger too.

I care more about this one. The others are coming to consoles at least, I don't want this to be stuck on mobile.

SE is a terrible company and I usually wouldn't bother at all if it wasn't FFA

What does Adventures of Mana even have to do with the releases of other SE games? It's not like it would take up a release slot or anything.

I don't get these replies. I'm pretty sure showing any kind of demand for Vita games will not impact those titles negatively.

Clive

I just can't believe that the western Vita market is THAT bad that Adventures of Mana and Chaos Rings III wouldn't be worth putting on PSN when a localized script already exists (or will exist for iOS/Android) for both games. Square Enix should realistically have a sizeable fanbase in the Playstation community too.

It would also give the games a little bit of extra exposure on gaming blogs and news sites which could benefit iOS/Android versions of the games too, even if slightly.

18-Volt

What does Adventures of Mana even have to do with the releases of other SE games? It's not like it would take up a release slot or anything.

I don't get these replies. I'm pretty sure showing any kind of demand for Vita games will not impact those titles negatively.

You shouldn't waste your time complaining it to Square directly. Try others, like Square Montreal, they actually respond to tweets, or better yet, complain to Gio Corsi. Corsi hasn't replied any of my tweets so far, but he says he reads every single one of them.

You shouldn't waste your time complaining it to Square directly. Try others, like Square Montreal, they actually respond to tweets, or better yet, complain to Gio Corsi. Corsi hasn't replied any of my tweets so far, but he says he reads every single one of them.

I get that, but that still has nothing to do with Setsuna or DQB. Anyway, tweeted Gio, thanks for the advice

Cornbread78

So how is it looking for Star Ocean 2 in NA/EU? Is SE going to bother? It's not like it isn't already translated... I google it everyday just in case and never see anything...

So how is it looking for Star Ocean 2 in NA/EU? Is SE going to bother? It's not like it isn't already translated... I google it everyday just in case and never see anything...

Who knows. It's Square Enix, I'm not getting my hopes up. Especially for the Vita version

18-Volt

After Mana thing, chances do look bad. Square ignore handhelds in west and Star Ocean 2 is a PSP port. So we might not even see the PS4/PS3 version.

They just don't care. They've gone full mobile in the west.

They don't even do that. Final Fantasy Mevius and Rise of Mana are nowhere to be seen in west. They seem to think they're doing us a favor by localizing something.

autoduelist

I got a tablet for christmas. While I found a few good games, I wasted way more time searching for those games and trying and deleting terrible games. So on one hand I agree with you.

On the other hand, there are millions of kids growing up that now get a phone/tablet for their birthday/holiday and play minecraft. That's a huge market lost. A ton of those kids would want a handheld if they didn't already have their gaming needs sated [at least, from their parent's perspective].

Cornbread78

They just don't care. They've gone full mobile in the west.
On consoles, I hope you enjoy Just Cause and Hitman!!

After Mana thing, chances do look bad. Square ignore handhelds in west and Star Ocean 2 is a PSP port. So we might not even see the PS4/PS3 version.

They don't even do that. Final Fantasy Mevius and Rise of Mana are nowhere to be seen in west. They seem to think they're doing us a favor by localizing something.

And thus continues my Love/Hate relationship with SE dating back to their SO4 announcement for 360. WTF. It's FREE money SE.

HotHamBoy

Man, would love a Downwell port...

So what is the latest word on the following ports:

Skullgirls 2nd Encore
Hand of Fate
Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer
XCOM
The Legend of Raven (and PS4 version?)
Risk of Rain
Darkest Dungeon

?

htol#niq is getting a sequel! Named "Rose and the Old Castle Twilight" and it's coming on April 28th. Producer said they will address the difficulty problems. Hopefully it will be toned down.

We're still yet to get Night Watch, but considering htol#niq took 6 months, there's till time. I'm ready for year full of NISA Vita announcements.

I was reading that yesterday and I love it. Liked Firefly Diaries a lot and hopefully we get another physical game out of NISA without all the years of fret like last time.

Looks like Midora's been cancelled. The developers are offering Kickstarter refunds. :-(

And now the Vita version of Not A Hero cancelled as well.

Well that sucks. Not a Hero was going to be great, and I didn't even know Midora was slated for Vita. Shame what happened to Midora in general.

On Axiom Verge, I'm fine if they take more time. I love that game and want a good port of it, for the ages. I hope it leans more in the Teslagrad camp than the Volume camp.

HotHamBoy

Well, you are totally wrong. You actually think F2P garbage games are the only kinds of games on mobile? Hmm, let's check out what is filling my 64 GB iPad Air 2:

XCOM: Enemy Within
The Banner Saga
Legend of Grimrock
FTL
Out There
Dungeons of the Endless
Sproggiwood
Loot and Legends...

That's just the first page.

I have like a shitload of card games, board games, strategy titles, roguelikes, puzzle games, some top-down shooters, RPGs like Baldur's Gate 1 & 2, KOTOR, the GTA games, a bunch of Neo Geo ports, blah blah blah. In addition to the time-wasters. There's a bunch of mobile-only premium games that are as good as anything I've been playing on consoles, too. You don't even have to deal with touch screen controls thanks to bluetooth and MFi controllers.

This isn't 2011. That's why mobile is eating handheld's lunch. Now, allow me to direct you to this thread: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1169952

incpdo

Well, you are totally wrong. You actually think F2P garbage games are the only kinds of games on mobile? Hmm, let's check out what is filling my 64 GB iPad Air 2:

The Banner Saga
Legend of Grimrock
FTL
Out There
Dungeons of the Endless
Sproggiwood
Loot and Legends...

I have like a shitload of card games, board games, strategy titles, roguelikes, puzzle games, some top-down shooters, RPGs like Baldur's Gate 1 & 2, KOTOR, the GTA games, a bunch of Neo Geo ports, blah blah blah. In addition to the time-wasters. There's a bunch of mobile-only premium games that are as good as anything I've been playing on consoles, too. You don't even have to deal with touch screen controls thanks to bluetooth and MFi controllers.

This isn't 2011. That's why mobile is eating handheld's lunch. Now, allow me to direct you to this thread: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1169952
I have an iPad and I enjoy gaming on it. There are like 1% of real games but that's a lot considering the app store holds thousands of games. You cannot deny there are more f2p or cheap ass and mediocre games tho.
Gaming in a console is quite a different experience, at least for me.
Handheld consoles are losing big against mobile devices because casual gamers are millions, a lot more than hardcore gamers now. While a hardcore gamers have in a majority an attitude of being really cheap and wait till everything is on sale. A casual gamer doesn't care and buys a stupid hat for a certain character on a certain game and pays 3u$ for that. Multiply that for millions. That and the addiction to free to play games like candy crush or whatever. Addiction is expensive. And that is profit for the corporations.

18-Volt

I got a tablet for christmas. While I found a few good games, I wasted way more time searching for those games and trying and deleting terrible games. So on one hand I agree with you.

On the other hand, there are millions of kids growing up that now get a phone/tablet for their birthday/holiday and play minecraft. That's a huge market lost. A ton of those kids would want a handheld if they didn't already have their gaming needs sated [at least, from their parent's perspective].

I was talking about PSP and DS. Yes a important part of DS/PSp audience were little kids but it's actually a small part for PSP. Core audience for handhelds were Sony/Nintendo fans and Japan/anime fans. Vita has lost important part of its audience beacuse of Sony and Rockstar decided not to support the system. System sellers for PSP were Crisis Core, Dissidia, Kingdom hearts, GTA and God of War but Vita didn't get any of those series or anything similar to them.

And thus continues my Love/Hate relationship with SE dating back to their SO4 announcement for 360. WTF. It's FREE money SE.

They rejected millions of dollars with not localizing Bravely Default. Nintendo got all the money.

The Banner Saga
Legend of Grimrock
FTL
Out There
Dungeons of the Endless
Sproggiwood
Loot and Legends...

Great, I'm misunderstood again. It's 2016 and we're still comparing mobile and handheld libraries. People buy handhelds to play games but no one buys phone or tablet to do that. Well maybe except really small part. That's that. No one says "There are better JRPG's on tablet so I should switch to that" because almost everyone owns a smartphone. If you want to play Persona you get a Vita. If you want to play Mario Kart you get a 3DS. If you want to play those games you listed, you don't get a mobile device because you already have one. Everyone does. System sellers sell handhelds, you don't get one just because. This discussion dates back to 2004, when people argued that Nokia's symbian games and N-Gage were out there to kill GBA. That didn't happen.

I was talking about PSP, and reason PSP sold 80m is because of tons of system seller exclusives. When you lost your exclusives to some other system, you die, killed by the system stole your exclusives. Who stole its games? PS4. If you want to play the new Final Fantasy, you buy a PS4. If you want to play new Metal Gear Solid game you buy a PS4. Kingdom Hearts, Persona, Dissidia, all PSP's system sellers are coming to PS4, not Vita. It even lost its number one franchise, Monster Hunter to 3DS. It's very clear to see why Vita stuck in just 14m sold.

There is one other reason why PSP and DS achieved to reach record sales numbers: Piracy. Almost one fifth of DS/PSP owners had purchased no software.

Jon Arbuckle

Neo Member

I tweeted Gio about this. Hopefully my #BuildingTheList will get his attention. So devastating and, frankly ridiculous, that Square isn't localizing this. They're doing the translating work for mobile, how hard would it be then to do that with the Vita version?

Top Bottom