• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upcoming Vita Games (200+ Upcoming games in ENGLISH) || 2016 Edition ||

HotHamBoy

I was talking about PSP and DS. Yes a important part of DS/PSp audience were little kids but it's actually a small part for PSP. Core audience for handhelds were Sony/Nintendo fans and Japan/anime fans. Vita has lost important part of its audience beacuse of Sony and Rockstar decided not to support the system. System sellers for PSP were Crisis Core, Dissidia, Kingdom hearts, GTA and God of War but Vita didn't get any of those series or anything similar to them.

They rejected millions of dollars with not localizing Bravely Default. Nintendo got all the money.

Great, I'm misunderstood again. It's 2016 and we're still comparing mobile and handheld libraries. People buy handhelds to play games but no one buys phone or tablet to do that. Well maybe except really small part. That's that. No one says "There are better JRPG's on tablet so I should switch to that" because almost everyone owns a smartphone. If you want to play Persona you get a Vita. If you want to play Mario Kart you get a 3DS. If you want to play those games you listed, you don't get a mobile device because you already have one. Everyone does. System sellers sell handhelds, you don't get one just because. This discussion dates back to 2004, when people argued that Nokia's symbian games and N-Gage were out there to kill GBA. That didn't happen.

I bought an iPad specifically to play digital card games, board games, the pinball arcade/zen pinball and strategy games, as well as premium (not F2P) mobile exclusives. You're right, I bought a 3DS for Nintendo games and a Vita for many other reasons. I bought an iPad to play games I couldn't play on those other portable devices. I own more paid games on my iPad than either of those other devices, mainly because it offers games at a fraction of the price, despite being just as rich an experience.

To say no one would buy a tablet to play games is to say you don't know the full extent of what you can buy on mobile devices. You have a very narrow view of what makes a "gamer." A gamer is someone who avidly plays games, it isn't determined by what games they enjoy playing.

Shizuka

From the Famitsu Top 100, 2015 {2014.12.29 - 2015.12.27} thread:

11. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.03.19} (¥2.592) - 478.478

18. [PSV] God Eater 2: Rage Burst <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.02.19} (¥6.145) - 342.983

32. [PSV] Sword Art Online: Lost Song # <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.03.26} (¥6.664) - 192.047

37. [PSV] God Eater: Resurrection <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.10.29} (¥5.626) - 164.361

48. [PSV] 3rd Super Robot Wars Z: Tengoku-Hen <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.04.02} (¥7.690) - 130.600

53. [PSV] Tokyo Xanadu # <RPG> (Nihon Falcom) {2015.09.30} (¥6.998) - 123.778

57. [PSV] Persona 4: Dancing All Night # <ACT> (Atlus) {2015.06.25} (¥7.538) - 119.090

58. [PSV] Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.03.12} (¥7.171) - 115.880

65. [PSV] Taiko no Tatsujin: V Version <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.07.09} (¥6.145) - 102.758

67. [PSV] One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.03.26} (¥7.344) - 97.768

73. [PSV] Pro Baseball Spirits 2015 <SPT> (Konami) {2015.03.26} (¥7.538) - 90.666

91. [PSV] Senran Kagura Estival Versus # <ACT> (Marvelous) {2015.03.26} (¥7.538) - 71.548

93. [PSV] Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme Vs-Force <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.12.23} (¥7.344) - 69.985

incpdo

I'm surprised Minecraft sold that much on Vita, I expected like a 10% of that in Japan, numbers are good for vita even when 3ds is the clear winner on that list.
Tokyo Xanadu selling 120k that was unexpected

VinFTW

Okay, so I'll ask you fine folks :)

Just got a vita!

Got a bunch of great games from PS+, but here's my current cart of binge purchases:

-P4G
-Danganronpa THH (gonna try 1 before buying any sequels)
-Shovel Knight
-Hotline Miami
-Muramasa Rebirth
-Oreshika: TB

So, thats $94. I only have $100 to spend.

Should I drop any of these and get one or a few of these?:

-Zero Escape: VLR
-Soul Sacrifice Delta
-or anything else?

I'm gonna wait for a price drop for Trials in the Sky: CF and I'm grabbing Gravity Rush:R on PS4.

I have freedom wars and dragons crown already, along with most popular indies on PC/from PS+.

Shizuka

Just got a vita!

Got a bunch of great games from PS+, but here's my current cart of binge purchases:

-P4G
-Shovel Knight
-Hotline Miami
-Muramasa Rebirth

-Soul Sacrifice Delta
-or anything else?

I'm gonna wait for a price drop for Trials in the Sky: CF and I'm grabbing Gravity Rush:R on PS4.

I have freedom wars and dragons crown already, along with most popular indies on PC/from PS+.

Vita games are often on sale. You could wait until Hotline Miami and Oreshika go on sale. Some for VLR and maybe SSD.

Zeta Oni

-Soul Sacrifice Delta
-or anything else?

If it counts for anything, Soul Sacrifice Delta is probably my favorite take on the monster hunter genre, and I say that as a decent MH4U player. If you enjoy that style of game and think a more action oriented, story centric approach would appeal to you, then its amazing at what it does.

Its got a lot to do, and you can normally find some foreign players hosting lobbies for the online co-op.

Just got a vita!

-P4G
-Shovel Knight
-Hotline Miami
-Muramasa Rebirth

-Soul Sacrifice Delta
-or anything else?

Play VLR if and only if you have finished ö99 on the DS.

Soul Sacrifice Delta, Danganronpa abd P4G are god tiwr games. I'd say you can swap out Oreshika for Soul Sacrifice Delta.

marcincz

Just got a vita!

-P4G
-Shovel Knight
-Hotline Miami
-Muramasa Rebirth

-Soul Sacrifice Delta
-or anything else?

Definitely you need Steins;Gate - my GOTY 2015.

BTW, guys from Europe/UK. Where are you ordering The Legend of Heroes: ToCS?

Been enjoying Danganronpa so much I'm going to buy the 2nd one on sale just to be sure I already have it when I finish the first one :p

How is the online for SS Delta and Freedom Wars ? Still a lot of players ? I'm looking to play those game, but if the online's dead I won't :/

Thinking about finally getting a new vita memory card, still using the default 4 GB that came with my white OLED vita. I know it's extremely unlikely there is going to be a sale ( maybe around president's day next month), what size would you guys recommend? Or did you guys just say screw it and buy a memory card? And what price range would be "best" as well.

Thinking about finally getting a new vita memory card, still using the default 4 GB that came with my white OLED vita. I know it's extremely unlikely there is going to be a sale ( maybe around president's day next month), what size would you guys recommend? Or did you guys just say screw it and buy a memory card? And what price range would be "best" as well.

64 gig

There is no return, there is no salvation.

Submit to your fate.

Looking at US prices

16GB ~$35
32GB ~$60
64GB (import) ~$85

If you're short on money, the 16GB will go a long way if you're used to 4GB.
If you have a bit of extra cash I'd recommend importing a 64GB. You'll never be able to fit everything on a card and it's a bit expensive, but it's a good one-time investment. I'm happy I got one.

Play Asia $85 + shipping
Superufo $77.50 + shipping
Nippon Yasan $80 + shipping

64 gig

There is no return, there is no salvation.

Submit to your fate.
Haha yeah I figure if I did get a new card, might as well go 64 GB.
Looking at US prices

16GB ~$35
32GB ~$60
64GB (import) ~$85

If you're short on money, the 16GB will go a long way if you're used to 4GB.
If you have a bit of extra cash I'd recommend importing a 64GB. You'll never be able to fit everything on a card and it's a bit expensive, but it's a good one-time investment. I'm happy I got one.

Play Asia $85 + shipping
Superufo $77.50 + shipping
Nippon Yasan $80 + shipping
Gotcha, also I can only use one account per card, so what I am asking it's impossible to have my psn account on 2 cards with different games right. So I can't just swap out cards with different games on them. Just want to confirm that.

Gotcha, also I can only use one account per card, so what I am asking it's impossible to have my psn account on 2 cards with different games right. So I can't just swap out cards with different games on them. Just want to confirm that.

No that should be possible actually, as long as both cards and the Vita are linked to the same account.

You should be able to, but you need to power off the system before removing the memory card. You might also lose your home screen arrangement.

I thankfully got a 16GB memory card with my Vita (as well as 10 games, only one of which I liked...). Interesting was that stores were still adjusting prices after the price drop, so this bundle was about €80 cheaper than a standalone Vita.

I'd like to import a 64GB card someday, but the EU also adds additional import costs, which doesn't help...

PooBone

Came here to tell everyone that Velocity Ultra (the FAR superior predecessor to Velocity 2x) is on sale for like $3. Totally worth it, do yourselves a favor.

Shizuka

This should be up-to-date with limited english releases around the globe, lemme know if I'm missing anything
and if anyone wants to copy the list, please give due credits
:

Japanese games:

- Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z (Europe, Asia);
- J-Stars Victory+ (Europe, Asia);
- One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 (Europe, Asia);
- Sword Art Online Hollow Fragment (Asia);
- Gundam Extreme VS Force (Asia);
- Digimon Cyber Sleuth (Asia);

- Deception IV: Nightmare Princess (Asia);
- Samurai Warriors 4-II (Asia);
- Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 (Asia);

- Soul Sacrifice Delta (Asia);
- Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines (Asia);

- Moe Chronicle (Asia);
- Moe Crystal (Asia);

- New Little King's Story (Europe, Asia);

- Dokuro (Asia, Japan);

- Final Fantasy X-2 HD (Asia);

- Orgarhythm (Asia, Japan);

- Resident Evil Revelations 2 (Asia);

- Deemo: The Last Recital (Asia);

- Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution 2+ (Asia).

Western games:

- Hotline Miami: Collected Edition (Japan);
- Playstation Vita Pets (Europe);
- Football Manager 14 (Europe);
- Ratchet and Clank Trilogy (Europe);
- PQube racing games / MotoGP, MXGP (Europe);
- Invizimals (Europe);
- The Muppets Movie Adventure (Europe);
- Space Hulk (Europe);
- Minecraft (Europe, Asia);
- MLB 2015 (Asia).

Limited prints:

- Retro City Rampage DX (Fangamer);

- The Firefly Diary (NISA Online Store, Asia);
- Ar nosurge Plus (NISA Online Store);
- Atelier Escha & Logy Plus (NISA Online Store);

- Breach & Clear (Limited Run Games)
- Saturday Morning RPG (Limited Run Games).

Clive

I think Shizuka's list is pretty much complete in terms of relevant titles. There is some Handball and Rugby game in Europe and something called Best of Arcade Games from the top of my head. All of them got a poor reception.

NDPsycho

This should be up-to-date with limited english releases around the globe, lemme know if I'm missing anything
and if anyone wants to copy the list, please give due credits
:

Missing Europe releases of Looney Tunes and Phineas & Ferb.

Edit: Also the WRC 3-5 titles?

HotHamBoy

Just got a vita!

-P4G
-Shovel Knight
-Hotline Miami
-Muramasa Rebirth

-Soul Sacrifice Delta
-or anything else?

Do you have OlliOlli 2 from Plus? The first game is on sale for $4.

Don't be afraid of those amazing PS One Classics on sale right now. And if you never owned a PSP then you have a huge selection of awesome, dirt-cheap games on PSN.

I would drop Oreshika, there are much better Vita games to get first. Plus it was just $5 a couple weeks ago. It'll go on sale again.

autoduelist

I bought an iPad specifically to play digital card games, board games, the pinball arcade/zen pinball and strategy games, as well as premium (not F2P) mobile exclusives. You're right, I bought a 3DS for Nintendo games and a Vita for many other reasons. I bought an iPad to play games I couldn't play on those other portable devices. I own more paid games on my iPad than either of those other devices, mainly because it offers games at a fraction of the price, despite being just as rich an experience.

To say no one would buy a tablet to play games is to say you don't know the full extent of what you can buy on mobile devices. You have a very narrow view of what makes a "gamer." A gamer is someone who avidly plays games, it isn't determined by what games they enjoy playing.

You own every handheld -- you're so clearly in the 'exception' category that you don't really count for or against the person you're responding to. He's clearly not talking about people that would go out of their way to own every system.

Haha yeah I figure if I did get a new card, might as well go 64 GB.

Gotcha, also I can only use one account per card, so what I am asking it's impossible to have my psn account on 2 cards with different games right. So I can't just swap out cards with different games on them. Just want to confirm that.[/QUOTE

You can swap them out, but if you're the type to carefully customize each page with background art, sort all your games into folders, etc... then just buy a 64g. Sometimes stuff gets juggled if you switch cards and I'll never switch cards again. I love my 64g card though.

Just got a vita!

-P4G
-Shovel Knight
-Hotline Miami
-Muramasa Rebirth

-Soul Sacrifice Delta
-or anything else?

To counter a previous post, I loved Oreshika. That said, I agree with the general advice to wait for sales. Your $100 will go much further if you have patience. Maybe treat yourself to one non-sale game to celebrate your new device, then wait for sales while you play all the stuff you've got.

HotHamBoy

You own every handheld -- you're so clearly in the 'exception' category that you don't really count for or against the person you're responding to. He's clearly not talking about people that would go out of their way to own every system.

I just think it's insane to say no one would buy an iPad just for games. There are types of games you can only play on iOS and there are types of games that are incredibly well-suited for it, like the board games, card games and strategy stuff. If that's what you like then why would you choose a 3DS or Vita? The iPad library is far better for certain genres. Each system has kinds of games that would push you towards that system and I think a tablet is just as likely to push people to choosing it over the other two.

Isn't the nVidia shield specifically marketed as a gaming tablet?

Besides, my main point was that he clearly has a warped view of what is available to play on mobile and what defines a "gamer." Like, serious validation issues.

NDPsycho

I knew I was missing SCEE games, but the WRC I kinda included on the racing games there.

Phineas & Ferb is fresh on my mind because mine finally arrived this week. WRC 4 is pretty good, one of my most played imports, so I wanted to make sure it got some recognition :)

autoduelist

I just think it's insane to say no one would buy an iPad just for games. There are types of games you can only play on iOS and there are types of games that are incredibly well-suited for it, like the board games, card games and strategy stuff. If that's what you like then why would you choose a 3DS or Vita? The iPad library is far better for certain genres. Each system has kinds of games that would push you towards that system and I think a tablet is just as likely to push people to choosing it over the other two.

Besides, my main point was that he clearly has a warped view of what is available to play on mobile and what defines a "gamer." Like, serious validation issues.

I think you're misunderstanding him, personally, and taking his position as a slight against mobile. I know there are good games on mobile, but he's correct that the vast, vast majority are junk -- f2p garbage, rush to market clones and ip stealers, whale hunting addiction gaming, etc.

And while mobile might have KOTOR and Baldur's Gate and XCOM [which is awesome] those are niche in comparison to timer based multi-currency click-a-thons. There is a reason game prices raced to the bottom (first 99 cents, then free)... because a majority on mobile want to game for free, no matter how good the experience is.

And sure, some people buy tablets for games. I'm sure minecraft has sold more than a few. But in chasing that argument, you're missing the point he was trying to make -- the vast majority of phone/tablet owners didn't buy for games, games are just an afterthought... but now that they have them, games do exist.

Personally, I find searching for good games on mobile [i have an android tablet, and used to have an ipad] nearly soul crushing. I spend a couple hours researching games, download a bunch, only to discover grindgates and paywalls. And sure, I find some good games too [hoplite! card crawl!] but... it's just different. It's a different marketplace because it's a different market. I actually 'enjoy' gaming on my vita... finding games I enjoy on mobile feels like a job. And when I find a great game that's destroyed by f2p nonsense, I just want to punch a wall. Vita gaming has never stressed me out like that.

I mean, let's just take a simple genre -- match 3 games. There are thousands! Thousands! And some of them that look good are absolutely terrible. There are so many reviews to shift through, so many to download and give a chance... I've probably tried a dozen since christmas and haven't found a decent one yet. [the closest was probably the marvel one, but that's got too much f2p nonsense].

18-Volt

autoduelist is right, I was talking about previously PSP owners. There might be people who would buy iPad to play games but I really don't think a PSP owner who bought its PSP to play certain games would abandon and get a mobile device OR do his/her gaming on a mobile device. My point was; only exclusives sell handhelds, but there are tons of other reasons for people to buy tablets/phones. Would you buy a handheld that doesn't have any game you'd play? No! Would you buy a tablet that doesn't have any game you'd play? Yes, because it's a tablet, it's good investment.

Vita is dying and PS4/PC are the platforms killing it because they're the ones stealing its exclusives.

Vita is dying and PS4/PC are the platforms killing it because they're the ones stealing its exclusives.

I wonder if anyone realizes that Vita was dying before we started getting PC ports of everything. Not even sure where PS4 stands in this discussion, are people really that salty over it getting a Nep game that may have gone to Vita instead or even Kiwami, which bombed on every system it went on? Is it helping it's cause now? Surely not, but it's far from what started the downward spiral. There's still more than enough exclusives or otherwise to make Vita a worthwhile purchase if the games appeal to you.

18-Volt

I wonder if anyone realizes that Vita was dying before we started getting PC ports of everything. Is it helping it's cause now? Surely not, but it's far from what started the downward spiral. There's still more than enough exclusives or otherwise to make Vita a worthwhile purchase if the games appeal to you.

Yeah, but an exclusive GTA , MGS, God of War or a Dissidia Final Fantasy game would change things a lot, wouldn't it? PSP had many revivals in its lifetime and each one of them was done by those games. Biggest one was undoubtedly Monster Hunter. Vita never had any release as big as those, and the biggest ones it had (FFX, Persona 4) weren't exclusive.

Yeah, but an exclusive GTA , MGS, God of War or a Dissidia Final Fantasy game would change things a lot, wouldn't it? PSP had many revivals in its lifetime and each one of them was done by those games. Biggest one was undoubtedly Monster Hunter. Vita never had any release as big as those, and the biggest ones it had (FFX, Persona 4) weren't exclusive.

I'd still hardly say that the other systems are killing potential Vita exclusives because of that. The writing was on the wall a year into it's lifespan that it wasn't going to be wildly successful, same with how WiiU was. No sane company would pour the millions it would cost to make one of those games only for Vita, if it was clear they weren't going to see anywhere close to the results that PSP had. Getting one of those games now isn't about to change peoples opinion of the system either.

18-Volt

I'd still hardly say that that other systems are killing potential Vita exclusives because of that. The writing was on the wall a year into it's lifespan that it wasn't going to be wildly successful, same with how WiiU was. No sane company would pour the millions it would cost to make one of those games only for Vita, if it was clear they weren't going to see anywhere close to the results that PSP had.

That's true. Both Vita and 3DS lost most of their 3rd party support before even they launched. And where have those "3rd party support" gone? 3DS's supposed launch games Assassin's Creed and Saints Row had become AC: Revelations and Saints Row 3. The team that was working on Bioshock Vita decided to scrap the project and assisted the development of Infinite.

In the end losers were handhelds and winners were home consoles.

Getting one of those games now isn't about to change peoples opinion of the system either.

It definitely won't. If Vita to get a Monster Hunter or a MGS game, you can bet it will also be for PS4. Vita version would probably go unnoticed.

HotHamBoy

I think you're misunderstanding him, personally, and taking his position as a slight against mobile. I know there are good games on mobile, but he's correct that the vast, vast majority are junk -- f2p garbage, rush to market clones and ip stealers, whale hunting addiction gaming, etc.

And while mobile might have KOTOR and Baldur's Gate and XCOM [which is awesome] those are niche in comparison to timer based multi-currency click-a-thons. There is a reason game prices raced to the bottom (first 99 cents, then free)... because a majority on mobile want to game for free, no matter how good the experience is.

And sure, some people buy tablets for games. I'm sure minecraft has sold more than a few. But in chasing that argument, you're missing the point he was trying to make -- the vast majority of phone/tablet owners didn't buy for games, games are just an afterthought... but now that they have them, games do exist.

Personally, I find searching for good games on mobile [i have an android tablet, and used to have an ipad] nearly soul crushing. I spend a couple hours researching games, download a bunch, only to discover grindgates and paywalls. And sure, I find some good games too [hoplite! card crawl!] but... it's just different. It's a different marketplace because it's a different market. I actually 'enjoy' gaming on my vita... finding games I enjoy on mobile feels like a job. And when I find a great game that's destroyed by f2p nonsense, I just want to punch a wall. Vita gaming has never stressed me out like that.

I mean, let's just take a simple genre -- match 3 games. There are thousands! Thousands! And some of them that look good are absolutely terrible. There are so many reviews to shift through, so many to download and give a chance... I've probably tried a dozen since christmas and haven't found a decent one yet. [the closest was probably the marvel one, but that's got too much f2p nonsense].

It doesn't have to be. Toucharcade.com and its forums have been a godsend for me, as well as the ios section of boardgamegeek.com. You shouldn't be surprised by that a lot of free/99 cent games have grind gates and paywalls, but actually a lot of free games, especially indies, are moving to a "remove ads" one-time purchase, usually about $2.

There's so many great games on tablets that you may be able to play on PC but you can't play on the handhelds, making it the only portable solution. It usually gets indies first, like Downwell and Banner Saga and Desktop Dungeons, etc, and it also gets amazing ports of board games and card games and has been a wonderful source of roguelikes and strategy games. Yeah, there's a lot of garbage, but if you are the kind of enthusiast to buy a dedicated handheld you might also be the kind of enthusiast to buy a tablet to play the kinds of games you like on the go.

With what game exactly? No gamer would buy a phone or tablet to "play games" as there are almost no software that would attract core gamer. Mobile market always cater to casual crowd and Vita and 3DS's audience has nothing common with it. Gamers play games, non-gamers play non-games like Candy Crush Saga, Angry birds etc.

Whole "mobile killing handhelds" is a misinterpreted argument and 55 million 3DS sold is a solid proof of that. Mobile is killing no one as long as games made for it no different than Candy Crush Saga or Puzzle & Dragons. Mobile has been existed for more than 10 years and killed no one.

What am I misinterpreting here? Because it sounds like uninformed, elitist bullshit and now I'm hearing a lot of back peddling. I'm arguing against what was written, if you intended something else you weren't very clear. I'm certain the combined number of tablets within the android/ios ecosystems contains a percentage of users, who bought said tablets specifically for games, that is comparable to the total sales of the 3DS or Vita.

Mobile gaming is a different experience. Cool that people like it, but I tried to get into it for a year and haven't found a single experience that is comparable to consoles. Infinity Blade was okay I guess.

If we all liked mobile gaming we wouldn't need the Vita or this thread. I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish here.

Top Bottom