• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Updated Resident Evil Franchise sales (RE7 at 200K of 2M fisc year goal 3 months in)

RSB

Banned
Good.

RE7 is inferior to both the classic and action formulas.
Agreed.

And it's not just the new gameplay style. I also really dislike the more realistic visual design in RE7 (the stylized approach of previous RE games is way better IMO)

Because you have to stand perfectly still and carefully aim at the enemy's moving feet in order to roundhouse kick them. Contrast that to RE6 where you can strafe and retreat while firing, or action-dive backward and attack from ground level.
Tank controls make the gameplay that much more tense, and contribute to the atmosphere that I'm talking about.

On a second playthrough, sure, RE4 becomes non-stop action because you know what's coming and understand the mechanics. On a first one though? No way.

Enemies in RE4 and RE5 line-up to get shot. Don't get me wrong, I understand why the enemies are so deliberate in their attack patterns, and I understand it was the best option for the game, but the point remains.

Sure, it might be tense when you are learning to play the game, but by the time you come to grips with the mechanics, it is very much the optimal way to play most encounters. And it is much easier to abuse melee in RE4 than it is in RE6, due to the introduction of the stamina gauge in the latter.

Jawmuncher

Please staph..thank god its only you're opinion that matters absolutely zero.

Fact remains, RE is back to its original roots and it's staying..only one thing left to do is...Deal with it.

Unless you know the capcom forecast that's some pretty certain talk. We don't even know the style RE2make is. Hell Not a Hero is a action style DLC.

If anything the future of what we'll see has never been more uncertain than it currently is. That's not to say the roots are going anywhere. But I also doubt every game from here on out will be exactly like RE7

Renekton

My own theory is that Resident Evil was not a scary series before 7, so many core RE fans were too afraid to play RE7's first-person horror.

Extremely divisive action RE game selling truckloads vs. mostly well-received horror RE game selling roughly half as much in comparison was always going to make for a heated discussion. :v

Least Capcom can do from here on out is realize there's a market for both styles of RE games. Though it does make one wonder if they'll spinoff one of the two as a subseries, or alternate between horror RE games and action RE games for the numbered mainline games.

Good. They gave the " true horror" fans the game they have been wanting for years. It didn't sell enough so now they can point to that as reasoning when they make the game that's closer to 4-5 that I want to play.

Basically a better evil within.

Renna Hazel

My own theory is that Resident Evil was not a scary series before 7, so many core RE fans were too afraid to play RE7's first-person horror.

The series never was scary, it was always kind of goofy. The change in tone probably turned people off. It definitely turned me off, but I doubt anyone was scared to play it.

The fact that we still haven't seen RE2 makes me really worried that they don't know what to do with it or they're transitioning to a different iteration, like the many that RE4 went through.

The series never was scary, it was always kind of goofy. The change in tone probably turned people off. It definitely turned me off, but I doubt anyone was scared to play it.
I feel REMAKE was scary. RE7 is strange because the demo was quite scary because it was unpredictable. RE7 proper is a game where you sprint around headshotting enemies who largely pose little threat. RE7 is a really good game, but I honestly didn't find it particularly frightening. I believe RE7 is quite scary in VR, though. But that might be tied to the novelty of the medium. Like people terrified a train on a screen was going to run them over back in the day.

Oh yea it probably didn't help that they kept putting out those stupid pt obtuse demos. Oh a doll finger huh? Nah I'll pass on this mess.

People online kept saying it isn't representative of the game.... so then why put out a demo of it. Demo your game with shit that's in or similar to shit that's in your game. That turned me right off.

Jawmuncher

The responses in this thread depress me. RE7 was a truly great game and RE8 should be an improved version of the same.

You have a 20 year old series with half of it being horror and the other half action. RE7 was never going to bridge any sort of gap between the fanbase.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
RE6 is the reason RE7 didn't sell as well. Just as RE4 is the reason sales exploded the way they did for RE5. A critically acclaimed game with very strong word of mouth will do wonders for the sequel getting attention. A critical bomb with poor word of mouth is toxic for the sequel.

Renna Hazel

I feel REMAKE was scary. RE7 is strange because the demo was quite scary because it was unpredictable. RE7 proper is a game where you sprint around headshotting enemies who largely pose little threat. RE7 is a really good game, but I honestly didn't find it particularly frightening. I believe RE7 is quite scary in VR, though. But that might be tied to the novelty of the medium. Like people terrified a train on a screen was going to run them over back in the day.

I guess I can see why people think REmake is scary. Your description of RE7 sounds more fun than the E3 demo though. Did people consider that scary? I don't even recall it having enemies.

hughesta

Banned
You have a 20 year old series with half of it being horror and the other half action. RE7 was never going to bridge any sort of gap between the fanbase.
There exists room for both styles. So many people in this thread seem to want horror RE gone entirely. What we should get is an RE8 that builds on what 7 did right, and a Revelations 3 that continues the co-op action based formula of 5 and 6.

edit: man people still don't know that RE7 has combat and enemies

I love RE7, but I'm still not sure it's what I want from RE. I really enjoyed The Evil Within a lot more than 4, 5, 6, and even 7. It's not just that TEW is in third person and RE7 isn't. The atmosphere, gore, and story is just a lot more interesting to me.

TannerDemoz

There was nothing goofy and nothing 'not scary' about Res 3.

Same for Res 2? These seems like the stand-out serious titles

Edited: I just revisited to mention 0 then I remembered opera music and a dude with slicked back hair firing leeches everywhere or something?

Peroroncino

I can't wait for the announcement of another mainline RE game, the salt is gonna be real no matter what they announce, fanbase is too divided atm.

please be action horror, please be action horror

RE7 was scary? Oh...kay...

Renna Hazel

Speak for yourself. As a 15 year old back when REmake was originally released on GC I found it terrifying to be honest.

Sorry, I shouldn't have spoken for anyone else, I just though RE was well known for being a really cheesy B action movie style game.

BadWolf

RE6 is the reason RE7 didn't sell as well. Just as RE4 is the reason sales exploded the way they did for RE5. A critically acclaimed game with very strong word of mouth will do wonders for the sequel getting attention. A critical bomb with poor word of mouth is toxic for the sequel.

Meanwhile RE6 sells a million+ with its remaster.

RE7 is why RE7 didn't sell well.

Meanwhile RE6 sells a million+ with its remaster.

RE7 is why RE7 didn't sell well.

RE sells because it has the name. FF will always sell because it has the name.

RE7 is a better survival horror game than RE6 is. That's not even up for debate. It's not a matter of opinion. It's a fact based on game mechanics. What you think is a better game overall is subjective, though. No denying that.

I feel that RE7 doesn't get enough praise for how mechanically and stylistically polished its core FPS mechanics are. This is something Japanese developers have struggled with for many years. The molded might not be particularly engaging enemies, but shooting them is mechanically solid.

Some aspects of RE7's design uncannily remind me of Ubisoft's Zombi. Particularly the pistol handling and animation. I suspect Capcom studied the game.

Jawmuncher

I think that is simplifying it a bit. Especially when RE6 is selling another million before RE4 and RE5 on PS4 and X1. RE7 is such a vastly different game and with a demo and early positive review scores (they were out Ike almost a week prior). I doubt RE6 affected it.

The only thing RE6 probably really affected was people who liked that style of game (action) not being interested in RE7. It's been discussed numerous times but Action always sells more than horror in any genre and medium basically.

The fanbase is divided. Those who like 4-6 might not like 1-3 & 7 and vice versa. It's just where we are.

There exists room for both styles. So many people in this thread seem to want horror RE gone entirely. What we should get is an RE8 that builds on what 7 did right, and a Revelations 3 that continues the co-op action based formula of 5 and 6.

edit: man people still don't know that RE7 has combat and enemies

The problem is that ATM fans on another side don't know what they're in store for. Just like how horror fans had many of the same sort of posts when the action games were coming out. Everyone wants their preferred style and doesn't want to be left in the dust.

Until we know for certain capcom is trying to please more than just one fanbase. This is what you're gonna see a lot of.

When did they start listing RE5 Gold Edition?

Who been buy base RE5 all these years pushing the numbers of that up?

Yeah, it's weird it's been off the site for so long. Must have been an oversight. Also they probably counted bundled sales of the game and DLC as well for it to get that high. Still pretty impressive though.

hughesta

Banned
And?

If it's such a terrible and hated game then it shouldn't be pulling those kinds of numbers.
Myself and several friends bought RE6 because it's a fun co-op game to play together, despite none of us really thinking it's a great game. RE7 is a new entry in a new style that was marketed so poorly that some people apparently still think it had no combat. It's a great game, and did far better than RE6 critically. There's no reason horror RE has to die when they can alternate styles and improve upon RE7.

but of course, this is Capcom, so RE8 is going to be a crap action game that gets a sales boost from RE7's positive reception and horror RE will be gone forever.

Fury451

Banned
Resident Evil origins are not action run and gun. RE7 was a return to its roots.

Yes and no.

It was more like the original game maybe, but the series started moving towards a more action focus with 2, definitely with 3, and the game everybody now loves the most in the series is 4. That was nothing like it's roots and became the overall preferential direction for the series.

I'm a huge fan (as in a "buy every game ever" including that shitty ORC game) of the series, but 7 was kinda dull as fuck. Not because it was slower or less action oriented, but because it wasn't really that interesting and wasn't really fun to play. There wasn't a whole lot to see, and beyond being a good experience for the initial shock factor but after finishing it, it's not really something that I ever went back to like all the other games. Not much extra content or replay value.

I get why it doesn't have broad appeal.

People always clamor for "returning to roots", but a dedicated and vocal group is not necessarily representative of what the gaming public at large wants to buy. 6, for all it's numerous faults, was accessible, had co-op, Mercenaries, really fun gameplay, and a batshit stupid story that at least took you all over the place with a lot of different things happening for better or worse.

Kazuhira

There was nothing goofy and nothing 'not scary' about Res 3.

Same for Res 2? These seems like the stand-out serious titles

Edited: I just revisited to mention 0 then I remembered opera music and a dude with slicked back hair firing leeches everywhere or something?

RE2&3 have a very serious tone tbh.

RE 6 sold more because of the lower price
That's one factor, but RE7 has been discounted on PC ($36 during Steam Summer Sale) and sales have continued to be slow. Steady, but slow. Capcom had to essentially give Umbrella Corps away for people to "buy" it. Yet several (hundred!) thousand people were willing to spend $20 on the PS4/XBO RE4/5/6 remasters full price at release.

You could argue Crash Bandicoot is only selling because it's three games for a cheap price. But people are buying it nonetheless.

Jawmuncher

RE 6 sold more because of the lower price

The fact of the matter is for the doom and gloom of how RE6 is said to be for the franchise. Even with a cheaper price it shouldn't be selling a million plus.

It just goes to show that there are fans of that game and style despite what some people would like to claim. If RE6 was so universally hated. It wouldn't be selling anything even at $20 bucks.

Okada

Resident Evil 7 in PSVR was one of the best gaming experiences of my life. I'll be truly saddened if they decide to go back to the (in my opinion) greatly inferior action games.

Renna Hazel

Myself and several friends bought RE6 because it's a fun co-op game to play together, despite none of us really thinking it's a great game. RE7 is a new entry in a new style that was marketed so poorly that some people apparently still think it had no combat. It's a great game, and did far better than RE6 critically. There's no reason horror RE has to die when they can alternate styles and improve upon RE7.

but of course, this is Capcom, so RE8 is going to be a crap action game that gets a sales boost from RE7's positive reception and horror RE will be gone forever.
So you think millions of people that didn't play RE7 are going to but 8 because they heard 7 was good?

7 just doesn't have mass appeal.

Pooya

RE7 isn't a very good RE game at all. The game is so heavily scripted there is zero replay value, who wants to fight the same two enemies and the horrible horrible boss fights again. Honestly if the game had no combat I'd enjoy it more, it's the worst part of the game. I can see the appeal as some moody exploration game that's enhanced with VR, I enjoyed those aspects and light puzzles it has but as soon as you have to shoot things it's a 5/10 game at best. Weapons feels like garbage, aiming makes no sense, movement feels terrible and headache inducing. While you could say the same for the tank controls of old games, those games made sense with their fixed camera and as a whole the series had a strategic combat that was shaped around the controls. This game feels awful because there is hardly any strategy, the bosses have too much hp and you have almost no clue how close you're to kill them. The molded are probably the worst most boring designed enemy in RE. It makes those water guys from RER look great. Marketing of the game makes sense now, why show the combat when it's like an afterthought and it's so rubbish. You want to spoil the two enemies the game has? no...

Once you go through this supposedly excellent horror experience, which is quite short, there is absolutely nothing to do unlike every RE before, it has poor value. You like it good for you, it seemingly didn't work for most of the fans if you look at the sales.

RE7 worst enemy was its ad campaign and pre release anti hype caused by the demos. Capcom intentionally presented its as a low budget YouTube FPS horror game which didn't help.

The actual game turned out to be extremely limited in scope and variety compared to previous titles and this was reflected in the reviews. The combat encounters were terrible and that was also reflected in the demos, streams, and reviews.

It wasn't necessarily the slower paced horror and FPS view that limited its appeal. It was the execution. Make the combat not suck, make a more interesting scenario with better enemies and people will buy your game. Nobody was turned off by a more horror approach or puzzles and exploration but then nobody also wants to play a RE game with the most unsatisfying combat against the most pathetic lineup of enemies in the series history.

Despite the generally positive reception all of the above got through to the people it matter to and that limited it's appeal. They are lucky to get the sales they did. Simple as that.

If RE7 is a mistake, I would love Capcom to continue repeating this "mistake" going forward. It's a magnificent game that separates itself from the market filled with action shooters. If RE6 fans are not please they can move on to other franschise.

If RE 7 had terrible ads or lack of hype/marketing, it shouldn't have shipped 3.5 million within its launch months. If the word of mouth was good after launch, it should have no trouble clearing the 2 million target that Capcom had expected yet it has barely cleared 200k so far.

Maybe the game just hasn't resonated that well with the fanbase. It is also on sale on the PSN/Xbox Live and Steam so it is not like the price has been kept steady.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
Really you have to look at console numbers available and the ratios

in september of 2012 there were 70 million PS3 units sold. in Feb of 2013 there were 76 million xbox 360s sold. so 146m total. (excluding pc numbers)

as of jan 2017 there were 26m xbox sold. by june 2017 there were ~60m ps4s sold. totalling 86m units (excluding pc numbers)....

thats about a 42% difference in available units to sell software to. and teh 6 month total software difference is ~ 29% ...so looking at these numbers I'd say RE7 is doing pretty alright, if not better than re6 and theres no real valid argument of RE6 vs. RE7

yes, i'm reposting this blurb from my previous post because people still don't seem to have gotten it...these numbers prove a lot of people wrong in their arguments in this thread

Top Bottom