• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Updated Resident Evil Franchise sales (RE7 at 200K of 2M fisc year goal 3 months in)

Ooccoo

RE7 is a step in the right direction but they needed to keep it TPS. Also needed more unlocks and a returning protagonist. I think RE2make will be the real test for the series' future.

That was one of the things I was most impressed with in RE7 was the focusing in scope and locations haha

RE6 - Explosive globe-trotting adventure in a US city, war-torn Eastern Europe, a Chinese city that gets zombie-nuked, AND THEN WE GO UNDER THE OCEAN OMGWTF

RE7 - A farm estate with like four buildings, and maybe a couple other places within half a mile of it

Like up to release I was expecting the Baker House to just a very tiny fraction of the entire game, but they stuck. to. it. and it was great

RE6 is awesome and diverse and a full on Explosive globe-trotting adventure in a US city, war-torn Eastern Europe, a Chinese city that gets zombie-nuked, AND THEN WE GO UNDER THE OCEAN (so awesome) and perfect for a game.

RE7 - A stale farm estate with like four stale buildings, and maybe a couple other places within half a mile of it LOL!!!!!

Like up to release I was expecting the Baker House to just a very tiny fraction of the entire game, but they stuck. to. it. and It was so disappointing.

It's so easy to pick a side, just let the artist and game developers do what they want - fans will vote with their wallets.

Why is this surprising? RE6 burnt loads of people. Of course the sales would be less after the good responses that RE4/5 built for RE6.

Except RE6 is a much more polished and competent game. I don't see how it would've reached close to 8 million sales across PS3/PS4/X360/X1/PC only on the good graces of previous games.

myco666

Why is this surprising? RE6 burnt loads of people. Of course the sales would be less after the good responses that RE4/5 built for RE6.

Or maybe it didn't sell as well because of no coop, less action, first-person and no returning characters. Doesn't help that Capcom decided to release the demo which wasn't really all that great or representative of the final game.

AXE

RE7 is awesome because its the best thing that happened ever since they didn't understand to evolve RE4 formulae.

1. Keep the cheese
2. Give modern gameplay features (as in, ditch the tank controls)
3. Profit

RE5 and RE6 are phenomenal games.

tenor.gif

Let's say they are good games.

Flakster99

Good. I disliked RE 7, and as someone who has enjoyed every single main game, from Resident Evil 1 thru 6, Resident Evil 7 should not have been a Resident Evil game, much like how Devil May Cry came about via a foundation of ideas for Resident Evil 4.

And to those saying that Resident Evil 6 poisoned the well for the future of the series, you need to ask other questions as to why folks like me and millions of other fans of the series did not purchase Resident Evil 7, especially when..

RE6 HD barebones port sold 1.1 fucking million. Stop with this narrative that RE 6 was hated and killed the series while RE7 has brought it back. Only for critics, maybe.

I think part of the equation here is that the quality and reception of the previous installment has an effect on whether people buy the next one.

RE4 was heralded as the GOAT. RE5 hype was through the rough. RE5 sells gangbusters.

RE5 reaction was mixed, but the Co-Op was hella fun. RE6 sales takes a small dip in sales.

RE6 was received poorly by critics, and was ridiculed by the fan community. RE7 takes a large dip in sales.

Correlation is not causation, and I know the shift from action-shooter to single-player horror-centric campaign would cause a decline in sales by itself, but I think there is an element of truth in saying the reception of the previous installment will affect the sales of the next.

I'd like to see how an RE8 in the vein of RE7 would do sales wise, given RE7's good reception.

tenor.gif

Let's say they are good games.

5 is a solid game, from a gameplay perspective, just a shame they focused more on action and less on the horror / atmosphere like 4, which had a near perfect balance. That's why 4 will always be better than 5 & 6.

6 is one of those "so bad it's good" situations. It was alright but it went too over the top and focused far too much on action again, not really what I want from a RE game. Also it had dodgy controls compared to 4 & 5.

RE7 was definitely the right direction to take after 6, it needs a bit of tweaking for RE8 to perfect the formula but it was definitely the best RE game since 4 and was incredible in VR.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
People ignore the fact that after RE6 came REv2, not RE7BH, which was also a third person action shooter. If anything would have been affected by RE6's 'poisoning', that'd be it, no?

kromeo

RE6 was received poorly by critics, and was ridiculed by the fan community. RE7 takes a large dip in sales.

The fan community doesn't have anything to do with 8m sales, something about it obviously just appealed to Joeseph average. I don't like the game but huge numbers of people obviously did

And as for critics, look at Destiny or Ghost Recon Wildlands

oti

Banned
People ignore the fact that after RE6 came REv2, not RE7BH, which was also a third person action shooter. If anything would have been affected by RE6's 'poisoning', that'd be it, no?

People who don't want to admit action is clearly where the bigger audience is and where any sensible company should take the franchise.

kromeo

People who don't want to admit action is clearly where the bigger audience is and where any sensible company should take the franchise.

Let's have every game be multiplayer shooters with loot crates, that's where the sales are right?

Moral to the story is, If people cant shoot shit in co-op then it's not worth it.

Kudos to Capcom trying something new anyway, 6 was god awful as a resi game, 7 was a return too it's survival horror roots, The co-op crowd clearly too scared to play it alone. Going all action based ruined the Dead Space series when they implemented co-op. That's why R6 was panned on release.

R7 sales will get a great boost when the Chris Redfield dlc is released, And PC owners get to play it in VR, Which all things considered, They should have been able too from the start.

RootCause

Let's have every game be multiplayer shooters with loot crates, that's where the sales are right?
Don't forget the waifus. Let's do this.
Sounds like a lot of people don't really want resident evil. They just want a buddy cop co-op game, and that's fine, but there's plenty of games like that. Part of me wishes Capcom would give it the DMC treatment, and just abandon it for the next 10 years.

RE5 and RE6 are phenomenal games.
I think 5 was amazing. 6 not so much. Some here on Gaf have a problem with a bit of diversity. The same way Gaf hated Assassins Creed 3 because the protagonist was "boring" is why it's the best selling Assassins Creed game. I thought AC 3 was good too.

I'm not surprised that 5 was the best selling RE game either. Get tired of the same shit over and over again.

I think part of the equation here is that the quality and reception of the previous installment has an effect on whether people buy the next one.

RE4 was heralded as the GOAT. RE5 hype was through the rough. RE5 sells gangbusters.

RE5 reaction was mixed, but the Co-Op was hella fun. RE6 sales takes a small dip in sales.

Correlation is not causation, and I know the shift from action-shooter to single-player horror-centric campaign would cause a decline in sales by itself, but I think there is an element of truth in saying the reception of the previous installment will affect the sales of the next.

I'd like to see how an RE8 in the vein of RE7 would do sales wise, given RE7's good reception.

But that's the thing: RE 5 and 6 continue to sell. OG RE 5 sold 7.2 million and Gold, 2 years after release, sold 2.3 million. With the HD release, we know RE 5 is over 10 million sales (Capcom confirmed this indirectly). RE 6 sold 5.2 million in the first six months and then sold another 1.6 over the next three years. Now the HD release is out and it sold another 1.1 million or so.

And RE 5's reaction isn't really "Mixed". If an 83/84/86 on Metacritic along with an 8.5/10 on Steam after 4,900 reviews is mixed then Majora's Mask 3DS, Kid Icarus Uprising, Luigi's Mansion, and Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door are "Mixed" as well.

oti

Banned

Make more money.
Make less money.
What should Capcom do?

Resident Evil is big enough to stand out from many other games. They've got the brand recognition to pull it off.

True, action does appeals to a wider audience but even Capcom didn't want to turn RE into Call of Duty and that's why they made RE7, going back to more horror and less action.

myco666

Moral to the story is, If people cant shoot shit in co-op then it's not worth it.

Kudos to Capcom trying something new anyway, 6 was god awful as a resi game, 7 was a return too it's survival horror roots, The co-op crowd clearly too scared to play it alone. Going all action based ruined the Dead Space series when they implemented co-op. That's why R6 was panned on release.

R7 sales will get a great boost when the Chris Redfield dlc is released, And PC owners get to play it in VR, Which all things considered, They should have been able too from the start.

Clearly that must be it.

oti

Banned
True, action does appeals to a wider audience but even Capcom didn't want to turn RE into Call of Duty and that's why they made RE7, going back to more horror and less action.

And that's great! People really like that game! But I think we've had enough examples now to know what steps Capcom should take next if they want Resident Evil to reach 8 million sales again.

Persona7

Banned
Hopefully they don't continue with the RE7 formula. It is amazing how they managed to make a game worse than RE6. Had to load up Silent Hill 2 to wash the bad taste of RE7 out of my mouth.

kromeo

Make more money.
Make less money.
What should Capcom do?

Resident Evil is big enough to stand out from many other games. They've got the brand recognition to pull it off.

Regardless of Capcom as a money making corporation, the fact that a major publisher was willing to make a high budget game in a hugely underrepresented genre and not just chase every industry trend possible can only be a good thing

If we're just gonna say "Fuck it" to RE's entire horror premise and initial mechanics, why not go all the way?

Wrestling moves, character action combat, zero-g FPS moments, zombies with guns, combo-juggles, Witness-style puzzles, 2-D platforming, Nazis, open arena dogfights, tag-out fighting game systems, Vanquish style shooting em' up levels, on-rails flight levels, point and click adventure sequences, press x to pay respects.

Actually, please do this, Capcom.

Sadist

It's almost bizarre how divided everyone is regarding Resident Evil 6 and VII.

Everybody seems to pick a side and fight each other.

kromeo

All the drivebys in this thread are irrelevant anyway, the one thing I think is extremely unlikely is that Capcom will abandon all their work on 7 and do a complete 180 to release 6 part 2. They might introduce more action into the next game, in fact I think that's almost a given

And that's great! People really like that game! But I think we've had enough examples now to know what steps Capcom should take next if they want Resident Evil to reach 8 million sales again.

A better balance of horror and action is fine but if they go all action again, RE loses it's identity and becomes another generic action game (again)

Sales are not the only thing that matters, if they decide just to make a game for the sales with no effort into making sure RE has it's own identity, then why even bother, lets all just play COD instead.

Also RE7 was praised by critics and a lot of fans, plus it made a profit and was made on a smaller budget too. RE6 had over 600 people working on it and RE7 only had 120, it was a much smaller development. Not every game has to sell 8 million to do well or be considered successful.

Jawmuncher

I dunno why so many comments here are posing things like capcom has to make Action or Horror and can't do both. If there was a RE8 in one style and a new side series in another. Boom, there you go, both camps happy.

The biggest issue would just be the budget. Though I'd argue so long as microbudgets like Rev were on the table. They'll at shouldn't be much of a problem. The budget of REmake 2 will be a big indicator on just what Capcom could do if they really wanted to appeal to both with their own games.

A better balance of horror and action is fine but if they go all action again, RE loses it's identity and becomes another generic action game (again)

Sales are not the only thing that matters, if they decide just to make a game for the sales with no effort into making sure RE has it's own identity, then why even bother, lets all just play COD instead.

Also RE7 was praised by critics and a lot of fans, plus it made a profit and was made on a smaller budget too. RE6 had over 600 people working on it and RE7 only had 120, it was a much smaller development. Not every game has to sell 8 million to do well or be considered successful.

The action RE titles are anything but generic. By that logic RE7 was pretty generic because I could go play a horror game on my PC. See it doesn't really work. The closest title to ever play like an Action RE was dead space back when that was still a thing.

I think a lot of people forget that for a whole new generation of RE fans the stuff from 4-6 is the series. I feel roots are dragged around too much as some sort of trump card that everyone has to adhere to for some reason. That might've been the start of the series. But it doesn't mean that's what the series has to be only.

Also RE7 had just as many people working on it going by the credits and there was never any mention that RE6 wasn't profitable.

Riposte

If we're just gonna say "Fuck it" to RE's entire horror premise and initial mechanics, why not go all the way?

Wrestling moves, character action combat, zero-g FPS moments, zombies with guns, combo-juggles, Witness-style puzzles, 2-D platforming, Nazis, open arena dogfights, tag-out fighting game systems, Vanquish style shooting em' up levels, on-rails flight levels, point and click adventure sequences, press x to pay respects.

Actually, please do this, Capcom.

You sound like someone throwing a tantrum. Just because Resident Evil has changed along the way doesn't mean it should be anything and everything. I believe they call this throwing the baby out with bathwater. "If Resident Evil isn't what I want, then it's pointless and has no meaning! Just make it all nonsense (read: destroy it)!!!"

There's a pretty clear connection between RE1 and RE6 over the course of the 6-7 mainline games between them. I mean in terms of mechanics, world concepts, and themes. The games have been moving towards an increasing action focus and action movie feeling since at least Resident Evil 2, and BOWs being used as... BOWs isn't very weird. Doesn't really stop it from having horror-themed set pieces or enemies, which even RE6 has. Now players can do what characters could do in the cutscenes and use dodge maneuvers instead of sliding against walls to avoid zombies. That has its pros and cons, but it has nothing to do with whatever the fuck you listed above.

TreIII

I dunno why so many comments here are posing things like capcom has to make Action or Horror and can't do both. If there was a RE8 in one style and a new side series in another. Boom, there you go, both camps happy.

I guess the main thing is the perception that Capcon only has but so many available hands.

That said, again, I'm really interested in seeing exactly what game Kobayashi is involved with. More than likely, it'll be a more action-focused title, for those of us who passed on 7 because it didn't hold our interests.

Or it had oughta, considering KobaP confirmed we won't be seeing BASARA for awhile, so he needs to hook me up with another action game help fill the void!

Zukkoyaki

Put me in the main series for one style and side-series for the other camp.

One way or another, I don't think either horror or action are going anywhere.

Also, I liked RE5 and RE7 but not RE6... Is that weird?

myco666

It is.

They even ruined the decent co-op from R5, At least in that game you kept all your equipment and items and could drop in/out with anyone.

In R6 they removed that and the game was a total mess.

Was referencing the part where you said coop crowd was too scared to play RE7. Should have bolded that part for clarity.

VDenter

Banned
The only reason RE6 sold more than RE7 is because people were fooled into thinking Capcom fixed the issues with RE5 and the series would return to RE4 levels of quality. As it stands right now i hope they never make crap like RE5-RE6.

You sound like someone throwing a tantrum. Just because Resident Evil has changed along the way doesn't mean it should be anything and everything. I believe they call this throwing the baby out with bathwater. "If Resident Evil isn't what I want, then it's pointless and has no meaning! Just make it all nonsense (read: destroy it)!!!"

There's a pretty clear connection between RE1 and RE6 over the course of the 6-7 mainline games between them. I mean in terms of mechanics, world concepts, and themes. The games have been moving towards an increasing action focus and action movie feeling since at least Resident Evil 2, and BOWs being used as... BOWs isn't very weird. Doesn't really stop it from having horror-themed set pieces or enemies, which even RE6 has. Now players can do what characters could do in the cutscenes and use dodge maneuvers instead of sliding against walls to avoid zombies. That has its pros and cons, but it has nothing to do with whatever the fuck you listed above.

I don't see anywhere in my post where I specified a need to remove the theming or story that's carried over from game to game. I also don't see anywhere in my post where I specified that RE may as well be completely destroyed. I actually really like the idea of Resident Evil going all over with styles, tone, and mechanics across one game. RE6 aimed for something like this with the way gameplay changed across each campaign, but didn't work for me because it didn't go far enough. An approach with radical mechanical shifts could actually work.

tesqui

I don't think RE6 will ever get a numbered sequel. I can see them releasing a side thing, but not numbered. I have faith that the next numbered game if action will be more akin to RE4. It seems like a more natural progression would be to take what they've learned from RE7 and combine that with what they learned from RE6.

That's actually pretty normal.

Now if you say you liked 5 more than 4 like I did, then you're weird.

Zukkoyaki

I don't think RE6 will ever get a direct sequel. I can see them releasing a side thing, but not numbered. I have faith that the next numbered game if action will be more akin to RE4. It seems like a more natural progression would be to take what they've learned from RE7 and combine that with what they learned from RE6.
I'd like to see that. Basically RE7 with some more characterization, more polished combat and some more enemy variety to fight. Keep the VHS tapes and add in a Mercenaries Mode and it could be great.

Jawmuncher

RE5 is my outright favorite RE game of all time.
I really like how it tookthe gameplay of 4, expanded on it and gave it even more of a series connection. Which is what I like to see the most in RE titles these days.

Part of why I'm really awaiting not a hero for RE7.

Zakalwe

Banned
RE7 is a true GOTYE contender and one of the best RE titles ever.

Of course it did less than 6, it's not as dumb OTT dude-bro. A Slower, more survival horror flavoured design was always going to sell less.

Still, for its budget it's done very well apparently. I can only hope Capcom take this into consideration when considering the next instalment. Going back to RE5/6 style would be a tragedy.

RE5 is my outright favorite RE game of all time.

RE5 has the best OTT RE story of all the titles. The cutscenes with Wesker are so good they made a movie out of them. The co-op is also godly.

Any flaws the game has I'm willing to overlook because of the above, it's in my top 5 for sure.

kromeo

Not at all, 5 is still a perfectly good game despite the obvious shift in tone even from 4

Top Bottom