• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Updated Resident Evil Franchise sales (RE7 at 200K of 2M fisc year goal 3 months in)

I dunno why so many comments here are posing things like capcom has to make Action or Horror and can't do both. If there was a RE8 in one style and a new side series in another. Boom, there you go, both camps happy.
Nah, that'll never happen. Even after getting a numbered entry that focuses on horror, RE fans of horror style can't stop shitting on action RE.

You'll never stop hearing about how action RE is absolute garbage that shouldn't exist.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Sounds like a lot of people don't really want resident evil. They just want a buddy cop co-op game, and that's fine, but there's plenty of games like that. Part of me wishes Capcom would give it the DMC treatment, and just abandon it for the next 10 years.

For many people, that is Resident Evil. Resident Evil was action for more than a decade, with even the more Horror focused entries being increasingly action based. Heck, the series has spent more time as an 3rd person action series than a more survival-horror focused one.

People love to say that X or Y is the true Resident Evil for some reason. As if one person is the only barometer of what others like or consider about a series or one is inherently better than the other. People also love to call the 3rd person action entries generic or "COD-like" even within this topic. It's asinine.

Zakalwe

Banned
For many people, that is Resident Evil. Resident Evil was action for more than a decade, with even the more Horror focused entries being increasingly action based. Heck, the series has spent more time as an 3rd person action series than a more survival-horror focused one.

People love to say that X or Y is the true Resident Evil for some reason. As if one person is the only barometer of what others like or consider about a series or one is inherently better than the other. People also love to call the 3rd person action entries generic or "COD-like" even within this topic. It's asinine.

It hasn't been action for more than a decade. 4 has /much/ more in common with 1-3 than 5+.

Tank controls, stop to shoot/reload, level design, etc... just because it's OTS doesn't mean it's an "action" game any more than the original trilogy was.

5 is like the bridge between 4 and 6 and can't really be called pure action either. 6 is really the only action RE in the mainline.

It hasn't been action for more than a decade. 4 has /much/ more in common with 1-3 than 5+.

Tank controls, stop to shoot/reload, level design, etc... just because it's OTS doesn't mean it's an "action" game any more than the original trilogy was.

5 is like the bridge between 4 and 6 and can't really be called pure action either. 6 is really the only action RE in the mainline.

You cant be serious. 4 is an action game.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Irony of saying people don't want RE because of 7 when 7 was the first mainline game to be in first person and not heavily feature RE protagonists.

Maybe you don't want RE anymore.

I would say 4 was the bridge. It had far more action than the games that proceeded it. It even felt a bit arcadey considering enemies would dissolve and drop bullets and money. That didn't happen in the old games. You had to procure your ammo and weapons by exploring the environment. You couldn't get them from killing enemies and couldn't upgrade them by visiting a merchant, which almost breaks the 4th wall considering how absurd that is. I like 4 a lot but it doesn't have the feel of Resident Evil Remake, which is my favorite. The "survival" horror just wasn't as prevalent.

BadWolf

4 isn't more action than 1-3?

The hoops people have to jump through, jeez.

4 has more in common with 5 and 6 than the classic games. Level design isn't really that different between 4 and its immediate sequels (4 does have lots of bits where areas wrap around into each other, which 5 and 6 don't, but its stages are still built primarily as linear combat gauntlets instead of bigger, interconnecting areas you're expected to repeatedly traverse like in the classic games), and 4's combat is significantly more complex than the fixed-camera games (not to mention that it serves a different purpose - combat in classic RE is kind of rudimentary and serves more to act as a resource drain than anything else, whereas combat in the action-focused titles is meant to be engaging and stimulating on its own even without the pressure of resource management).

The action RE titles are anything but generic. By that logic RE7 was pretty generic because I could go play a horror game on my PC. See it doesn't really work. The closest title to ever play like an Action RE was dead space back when that was still a thing.

I think a lot of people forget that for a whole new generation of RE fans the stuff from 4-6 is the series. I feel roots are dragged around too much as some sort of trump card that everyone has to adhere to for some reason. That might've been the start of the series. But it doesn't mean that's what the series has to be only.

Also RE7 had just as many people working on it going by the credits and there was never any mention that RE6 wasn't profitable.

4 was the best action RE game because it did a great job handling the horror and had a brilliant creepy atmosphere. Something which 5 and 6 lost, so for me they were very generic action games with the RE named slapped on the box. At least RE7 brought back the horror, atmosphere (in bucket loads for VR) and puzzles, a call back to the original games.

Sure, 6 was profitable but they never said by how much and the production on that game was said to be one of Capcom's biggest and with that comes a high cost to make, so with how big the game was, it's easy to guess that 6 cost way more than 7 to make, as 7 was a much smaller game.

Now we don't know actually numbers but it would be interesting to see the Cost vs Profit for each game because it's possible 7 made more profit, even with lower sales, because it didn't cost as much to make (not saying it did but it's possible) even Capcom said 6 under performed at the start and it took a long time to hit the sales it originally expected, while they were very happy with 7 from the start.

You can dislike RE6, but you can't really call it generic cause that's just not true.

VksZvIe.gif

yIbKK1i.gif

Sadist

RE 4 is straight up an action game. A fantastic action game, but still pays homage to the campy RE stuff because of the story and atmosphere. And it was the first of its kind with setpieces that never really appeared before.

RE 5 tried to build from that, but sacrificed a few things to get more people to buy in. The co-op is still terrible from a viewpoint where I adore RE because you're alone and it kills the suspense. I mean sure, RE 5 is fun with a buddy, but it's not my favourite way of playing RE. Over the years I've come to appreciate the game, but its still far from being my favourite entry in the series.

RE 6 was straight action with some horror elements and that sucks. It has its moments, like the Leon campaign, but the Chris campaign is terribly bland and downright bad at certain points. I still can't believe the chase part made the game. It was horrible. Plus I really don't care for the design of the campaign. The Jake/Sherry campaign is mostly hit or miss. Weird mix.

I'm still early in regarding VII, but from what I played, I want more.

Zero-ELEC

Banned

I would more argue that 3: Nemesis/Last Escape is more of a bridge between the action and survival, replacing the more slow exploration of Bio1 (and 2 to some extent) with a way more arcadey action while still within the constraints of the fixed camera set up. Heck the Mercenaries first appeared in and owes its name to 3.

RootCause

This is how I see it.

Horror/Slower paced

RE1
RE2
RE3
CV
REmake
Zero
Revelations
RE7

Action/horror fast paced

RE4
RE5
RE6
Revelations 2

Honestly, with the exception of 6, and Revs 2 I think all of them are good entries.

In a perfect world they alternate between releases. Or maybe have two running series(like DW games), one with an action approach, and the other with the more traditional style.

We just went through four action heavy tittles, I don't understand why some people can have a little patience, and let the other side of the fanbase get a 2 or 3 games before jumping back to action.

Re7 is a lot of things, but forgettable it is not. Even though it stumbles a bit in the third act, I really enjoyed it. And the first few hours especially are pretty fucking great.

Yeah, that makes no sense. Its got some of the best boss fights in the series. And Jack solidified himself as one of the most memorable enemies in the series.

Jawmuncher

This is how I see it.

Horror/Slower paced

RE1
RE2
RE3
CV
REmake
Zero
Revelations
RE7

Action/horror fast paced

RE4
RE5
RE6
Revelations 2

Honestly, with the exception of 6, and Revs 2 I think all of them are good entries.

In a perfect world they alternate between releases. Or maybe have two running series(like DW games), one with an action approach, and the other with the more traditional style.

We just went through four action heavy tittles, I don't understand why some people can have a little patience, and let the other side of the fanbase get a 2 or 3 games before jumping back to action.

Because it should be a back and forth sort of thing. Even back when we had just action I was saying "Capcom needs to offer more horror somehow".

The fanbase shouldn't have to go "Well looks like we're doing 10 years of horror and no action".

I do think some posts here are missing the general tone here. I don't think most asking for action are going "Everythibg mainline has to be action and nothing else". They just want something to cater to them and be it a spinoff or something that's of quality. As well as more of a hard confirm that the sort of style we enjoyed in the past isn't going anywhere.

Basically the same thing capcom shoudlve been doing for the last decade for horror fans. Not saying you , but some posts are structured as a sort of "I suffered for 10 years so now it's your turn".

(Also you'll be hard pressed to find RE6 gameplay fans propping up Rev 2. That's not considered an action for many of them since it's a regression of what came before. IMO that's like considering Umbrella Corps as as worthwhile action successor or Revelations 1 as a true return to form. Especially when the Revelations surname as a whole was meant to be an attempt at bringing back horror. They also had more limited ammo and lack of melee moves through in both titles. Which IMO really hammers that home).

You can dislike RE6, but you can't really call it generic cause that's just not true.

VksZvIe.gif

yIbKK1i.gif

Maybe generic is the wrong word but those clips just prove how non Resident Evil, RE6 actually became.

As a fan from day 1 back on the PS1, an over the top action game with no horror is not my idea of Resident Evil, thankfully Capcom saw sense and went back to survival horror with RE7 and the upcoming Resident Evil 2 Remake. It's happy days for us original RE fans.

Jawmuncher

Maybe generic is the wrong word but those clips just prove how non Resident Evil, RE6 actually became.

As a fan from day 1 back on the PS1, an over the top action game with no horror is not my idea of Resident Evil, thankfully Capcom saw sense and went back to survival horror with RE7 and the upcoming Resident Evil 2 Remake. It's happy days for us original RE fans.

Well to be fair they haven't said anything about that game yet.
There's always a chance they defy expectations and wants with it.

Well to be fair they haven't said anything about that game yet.
There's always a chance they defy expectations and wants with it.

There is always a change they screw it up but if RE1 Remake is anything to go by and the direction RE7 went, I'm sure Capcom know how to handle RE2R, plus RE2 is considered one of, if not the best in the series by many fans, so there would be a shit storm if they mess it up.

Videogames can be primarily defined by their narrative, not their game mechanics, and narratively and mechanically Resident Evil 6 fits at the tail end of the escalation of BOW terrorism across the globe that underpins the entire series. That's why RE1 and RE6 are both Resident Evil titles, just as Syndicate and Syndicate 2012 are both Syndicate titles.

Dino Crisis jumped from a fairly traditional survival horror title to a full-on action title in its sequel. There's a natural progression of Encounter Scary Thing > Fear Scary Thing > Kill Scary Thing > No Longer Scared Of Scary Thing > Massacre Scary Thing.

The Colonial Marines in Aliens weren't scared of the Xenomorphs in the same sense unarmed civilians were scared of Xenomorphs in Alien.

It remains to be seen what style RE2 Remake takes, but co-op is a strong possibility, and you can expect various plot elements from Resident Evil 6 to be retroactively added to the story.

There's a natural progression of Encounter Scary Thing > Fear Scary Thing > Kill Scary Thing > No Longer Scared Of Scary Thing > Massacre Scary Thing.

Yeah. I think it'd be strange for a series this long-lived to be made up entirely of 1 or more people stumbling into hidden and maniacally puzzle-filled bioweapon laboratories completely unprepared when all the other games' stories set up that bioterrorism is the new hotness everywhere.

It remains to be seen what style RE2 Remake takes, but co-op is a strong possibility, and you can expect various plot elements from Resident Evil 6 to be retroactively added to the story.

Which plot elements? Played RE6 recently and I can't think of any that would apply to Raccoon City that isn't already present. Competing bioweapon research > Leon boner for Ada > City nuked > Cover-up operation > Leon and Sherry futures in government work.

Was Simmons even around then?

Truant

What's wrong with a game that combines the best combat mechanics and movement systems of RE6, with the exploration and puzzes of 1-2-7?

I feel that would be a modern take on 4, and would satisfy both camps.

Jawmuncher

Yeah. I think it'd be strange for a series this long-lived to be made up entirely of 1 or more people stumbling into hidden and maniacally puzzle-filled bioweapon laboratories completely unprepared when all the other games' stories set up that bioterrorism is the new hotness everywhere.

Which plot elements? Played RE6 recently and I can't think of any that would apply to Raccoon City that isn't already present. Competing bioweapon research > Leon boner for Ada > City nuked > Cover-up operation > Leon and Sherry futures in government work.

There are small things they could retroactively due. Such as perhaps add a picture inside of weskers desk that perhaps hints at being Jake's Mom and what not.

Videogames can be primarily defined by their narrative, not their game mechanics, and narratively and mechanically Resident Evil 6 fits at the tail end of the escalation of BOW terrorism across the globe that underpins the entire series. That's why RE1 and RE6 are both Resident Evil titles, just as Syndicate and Syndicate 2012 are both Syndicate titles.

Dino Crisis jumped from a fairly traditional survival horror title to a full-on action title in its sequel. There's a natural progression of Encounter Scary Thing > Fear Scary Thing > Kill Scary Thing > No Longer Scared Of Scary Thing > Massacre Scary Thing.

The Colonial Marines in Aliens weren't scared of the Xenomorphs in the same sense unarmed civilians were scared of Xenomorphs in Alien.

Dino Crisis 3 was also shit and killed the series, The first 2 games were really good though because they still had the survival horror elements.

I'm not against action in the RE games tbh but all the best RE games have a good balance of horror too. RE5 started to lose that and RE6 completely jumped the shark and went ridiculous. The narrative just got way out of control and could have been handled better.

Also the Marines in Aliens were cocky and didn't even fully believe in the Xeno's at the start but when they found out they were real and were nearly wiped out in the first battle, they were totally scared of the Xeno's then. Hudson was freaking out all the way through.

kromeo

All I can say is I really hope Capcom isn't thinking like you

To me

RE1,RE2,RE3 are 80% horror

Code veronica 70% horror

Re4 50% horror

Re5 & RE6 are 40% horror

RE7 is just horrible.
It's honestly more like your typical horror game that pewdie pie plays,
but of course people love that kinda game so I hope capcom caters to both audiences who like action and these type of vr games.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I'm surprised that the worst main RE ever made (RE6) sold that much and one of the best (RE7) is a failure. Anyway I'm pretty sure that if they'll make RE8 a shitty b-movie like action game again, it will bomb hard, at this point I don't see a bright future for the series if they don't put a lot of effort on developing the next one.

Coming after a bad game means you have a good chance of selling poorly because people got burned by the nasty predecessor...

Jawmuncher

Coming after a bad game means you have a good chance of selling poorly because people got burned by the nasty predecessor...

I still disagree with this when the games are vastly different. There was a demo before the fact and lastly the positive reviews were out a week + before release of the game.

The only people i'd argue that didn't buy RE7 are those that just didn't want that style or aren't fans of First Person shooters.

Growing up playing RE1 on PS1, spending all night in the dark scaring my preteen self shitless, I really enjoyed RE7. I really wish it would do better, I need more of that.

gafneo

Banned
I think they don't need to make the game action packed. I think they could market the action sections of 7 to get the short attention spans to notice it. Once you play it, you will want it for its level design & roaming.

Nimby

Banned
I liked RE7, but it wasn't compelling enough for me to finish (got to
Spidermom
boss and stopped playing). I felt the same way with RE5 on PS3, controls were an issue with that game as well. But the co-op was pretty fun.

Never played RE6, but the controls don't look much better in that game compared to RE5. So I think what I want for RE8 is a third-person action game with horror elements + co-op and modern controls (something like Uncharted or the new Tomb Raider).

RootCause

Because it should be a back and forth sort of thing. Even back when we had just action I was saying "Capcom needs to offer more horror somehow".

The fanbase shouldn't have to go "Well looks like we're doing 10 years of horror and no action".

I do think some posts here are missing the general tone here. I don't think most asking for action are going "Everythibg mainline has to be action and nothing else". They just want something to cater to them and be it a spinoff or something that's of quality. As well as more of a hard confirm that the sort of style we enjoyed in the past isn't going anywhere.

Basically the same thing capcom shoudlve been doing for the last decade for horror fans. Not saying you , but some posts are structured as a sort of "I suffered for 10 years so now it's your turn".

That's understandable, but they released like four straight action titles. So I don't get the worry about action being ignored all of a sudden.

I do feel like they should offer both, action, and horror oriented games. And even though I'm more of fan of the slower paced tittles(started back when it first came out, I was six) theres no denying the greatness of RE4. Which I consider to be the best game ever made. And RE5 was a pretty solid game. So it's not like the action games, can't be good, and still have some horror elements.

I've never cared much for a tittle being mainline, or spinoff. As long as its part of the canon.
They should split the series in two.
Horror (targeting more traditional games, like classic RE, RE7 and the Revelations series)
Action (RE4/5/6, but hopefully not going overboard with the gameplay mechanics, and still having some horror elements)

I wouldn't mind having the established main cast taking over the action games. They've grown accustomed to fighting b.o.w. at a global scale. And the horror games focusing on isolated events.
(but keep Billy. He's non-negotiable lol)

Regarding RE2 remake, I hope they give it the REmake treatment, it's what the fanbase has been asking for since REmake. It's also the perfect opportunity after the recent success with the origins collection. And hopefully, it leads to REmake 3.
I'd be disappointed with anything else.

No, one is saying they should "suffer" or wait ten years, just have some patience, and let the other half get a game or two. Also, not directed at you, but those claiming that the horror fans are killing the series are wrong.

rtcn63

As someone who's played RE7 multiples, including Madhouse- it's a good game. And yes, RE7 does have quite a few flaws. But it's probably the closest so far we've gotten to a classic RE (for the new generation), barring maybe TEW.

It is not Outlast. Good and bad, depending on your expectations.

I liked RE7, but it wasn't compelling enough for me to finish (got to
Spidermom
boss and stopped playing). I felt the same way with RE5 on PS3, controls were an issue with that game as well. But the co-op was pretty fun.

Never played RE6, but the controls don't look much better in that game compared to RE5. So I think what I want for RE8 is a third-person action game with horror elements + co-op and modern controls (something like Uncharted or the new Tomb Raider).

The controls in RE6 offer an incredible amount of freedom in your movements. Resident Evil 7's are extremely fluid and easy to handle as well (although of course your character moves slowly at times, that's just a necessary element of the game). I can understand why RE5's more limiting controls might give you pause but the games would definitely not benefit from having the same control scheme as every other third-person shooter.

The real culprit is lack of co-op (At least a mode) and lack of replayability/incentive in 7. That's the real separating factor. The extra content is taking way too long to come out.

3, CV, 4 and 5 are all action Resident Evils.

Neiteio

3, CV, 4 and 5 are all action Resident Evils.
RE2 is easily the most action-y of the original trilogy. RE2 showers you with ammo and ink ribbons, even on the highest default difficulty. I never once felt afraid in that game.

By contrast there were many moments in RE3 where I was hobbling along at critical health, ready to expend my last shotgun shells with extreme prejudice...

Neff

There are small things they could retroactively due. Such as perhaps add a picture inside of weskers desk that perhaps hints at being Jake's Mom and what not.

This would be fucking hilarious and I'll be disappointed if it doesn't happen

As someone who's played RE7 multiples, including Madhouse- it's a good game. And yes, RE7 does have quite a few flaws. But it's probably the closest so far we've gotten to a classic RE (for the new generation), barring maybe TEW.

It is not Outlast. Good and bad, depending on your expectations.

Can't say fairer than that. Capcom will forever have to shoulder the burden of the game they unwisely attempted to portray it as during its reveal, though.

Simmons orchestrated the destruction of Raccoon City, and he became Sherry's legal guardian immediately following the events of RE2. One contentious plot point is Ada and Simmons. There are two possibilities :

1: Ada met Simmons prior to the events of RE2, worked for Simmons during the events of RE2, and cut ties with him because he nuked the city.

2: Ada met and worked for Simmons after the events of RE2, and happened to discover that Simmons was responsible for nuking the city, and cut ties with him because he nuked the city.

Additionally, in RE3's Leon ending slide, there is the government man that threatens Leon into working for the government. (Leon is essentially under duress during the events of RE: Damnation, hence his extremely bitter attitude.) There's a good chance Capcom would retcon the unnamed figure to be Simmons (Or possibly Adam Benford), and tack this onto the end of RE2 Remake.

Fv9GKRh.png

I believe that "I've always valued your friendship" in RE6 was a translation error, because Benford and Leon were most certainly not on friendly terms. Leon was working for him because he didn't actually have any choice.

RE2 is easily the most action-y of the original trilogy. RE2 showers you with ammo and ink ribbons, even on the highest default difficulty. I never once felt afraid in that game.
RE2's opening sequence is fairly similar to the second chapter in RE6. Leon crashes his car, and runs/fights his way through the streets to the gun store, which is promptly assaulted by zombies. To be honest, whatever form RE2 Remake takes, it's more likely to resemble RE6's second chapter than the original RE2 in terms of atmosphere when you're out in the streets. Capcom are going to want Racoon City to feel like a zombie apocalypse, not empty streets with a few zombies milling around. There was a serious disconnect between RE2's opening cutscene and what you actually experienced ingame.

It's the little touches like runaway trains, survivors running and screaming, and ambulances coming out of nowhere and running you over.

KyleCross

I love RE6, and I think that puts me in a good position to also criticize it.

If I was in charge during RE6's development, these are the changes I'd make:

1. Single campaign, with Leon and Helena. All the other characters and events would still be in the story, but they'd be AI characters you run into throughout the story. This would require the story to be restructured to inform the player of everything going on, and I feel that that would even help the narrative and break up some of the repetition.

2. Wide-linear levels. Much of RE6 takes place in cramped hallways, effectively stunting the added mobility options. If the majority of levels were open you'd be able to utilize all your abilities without running face first into walls.

3. Make the enemy AI aggressive. Slow and stumbling zombies and "I'mma just gonna hang back and shoot at you slowly" J'avo never truly tested you and your expanded moveset. By making the zombies straight up Left 4 Dead zombies and the J'avo a bunch of Krauser's that get all up in your face this would push you to use your full movement. Run, slide, dodge, roll, quickshot. The enemies would push you to use your skills, instead of you using them just out of urge to do some cool shit.

4. Removal of most QTEs. Things like climbing and other set piece moments. But QTEs like quickly dodging an enemy attack could stay, cause that's all about timing and not so much "Press button to not die."

Fury451

Banned

This is what 4 and 5 were too.

4 was slightly, and I do emphasize slightly more restrained than 5, but that's the game that changed directions for the series.

I get the 6 criticism, but when it happens in a vacuum I think it misses the scope of what the series was becoming all along, and gets undeserved blame for it. It always had the bones of being goofy schlock in addition to survival horror.

Top Bottom